Because there are massive changes to the android player (multi-tasking) in OS 2.1 --- that's why there is going to be a developer beta version available.
    I realize that individual android apps will operate in their own "window" but a dev beta wouldn't really be necessary for this feature... Cascades or some other ability is usually the reason for a dev beta... that's my perspective anyway
    05-21-12 03:42 PM
    Because there are massive changes to the android player (multi-tasking) in OS 2.1 --- that's why there is going to be a developer beta version available.
    Almost zero change in the Android player is necessary for multi tasking, ALL that is required is each app is run in a separate instance of the VM. No changes to the actual VM need to take place, so compatibility will not necessarily change with this update. Unless RIM also decide to expand API support in the Android player or make some other tweaks to improve compatibility, compatibility will remain unchanged.
    05-21-12 03:53 PM
    Or it could be something that no one here has a clue about, well I guess we will find out tomorrow I hope
    05-21-12 03:54 PM
    Or it could be something that no one here has a clue about, well I guess we will find out tomorrow I hope
    Do you realize how much you will be hounded with questions when it does get released to the devs???
    Us non-devs wanna know!!
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-21-12 03:57 PM
    It'll be an open dev release just like 2.0 was I believe and I did read new camera api's were being released for Android.
    05-21-12 04:27 PM
    I'd bet PB 2.1 dev beta will be something like the BB10 dev alpha OS (that is NOT BB10) with more capabilities (apps), something like or equal to the announced upgrade for alpha device holders.
    This will provide an "on-device" capability for those who did not get one, moreover a cross-compatibility physical device for those developing both for PB and future BB10 phones. Several tweets from RIM about "porting PB apps to BB10" seem to correlate this ...
    my 2 cents.

EDIT : so, if you're not a dev, you'll probably get unhappy with it. Do not build high expectations.
    05-29-12 11:20 AM
    EDIT : so, if you're not a dev, you'll probably get unhappy with it. Do not build high expectations.
    I disagree, there are at least one or two features announced for 2.1 that will interest general users e.g. Android multi tasking, portrait contacts & mail etc.

These features will almost certainly be in the beta, otherwise it's not really a beta of 2.1.
    05-29-12 11:49 AM
    I disagree, there are at least one or two features announced for 2.1 that will interest general users e.g. Android multi tasking, portrait contacts & mail etc.
    Can you link where it has been "announced" ?
    You missed - but I think lot of people will - the "developer" before the "beta" ...

(if you're not a developer) Do not expect much, do not rush to install until experimented users have. This will be a matter of few ... hours or maybe a day. That's my advice ... only 2 cents.
    05-29-12 12:26 PM
    Can you link where it has been "announced" ?
    You missed - but I think lot of people will - the "developer" before the "beta" ...
    I missed nothing. That is what the betas for consumer devices always are - developer betas. These features were announced for OS 2.1 a while back (no, I don't have a link, but there is an image posted on multiple places on this forum taken from BB Jam or something). They will certainly be in the beta, otherwise nothing will have changed (there is no indication that Cascades or anything like that will be present), so a beta would be pointless.
    05-29-12 12:44 PM
    2.1.0.560 (Dev Release candidate) <-- PlayBook
    05-29-12 06:32 PM
    Its been said that they are not holding anything back like they did in 2.0 so I don't see why a consumer wouldn't want to check this out.
    05-29-12 06:46 PM
    my fear is that if you get the beta it will require a security wipe to upgrade to the official release or future releases. then after the wipe you can't sideload your free android apps like kindle. what are your thoughts?
    05-29-12 07:07 PM
    my fear is that if you get the beta it will require a security wipe to upgrade to the official release or future releases. then after the wipe you can't sideload your free android apps like kindle. what are your thoughts?
    They're not blocking sideloading like that, they're solving the problem by encrypting app world purchases.
    05-29-12 07:14 PM
    My thoughts are if they remove sideloading without producing the apps that are only obtainable by sideloading,I will probably move on.

The way things are going for RIM right now ,I would think it would be very foolish to tick off the few faithful that's left.
    05-29-12 07:16 PM
    I'm thinking no USB OTG is a major complaint from the beginning because it lacks a card slot so it will be in 2.1.

That would make sense. They are adding to the PB, email, calendar, and most other major complaints are being fixed first.

I read they tweaked the browser engine and will polish it later...editing favorites etc.

Makes sense...build the motor then paint the car, no sense in painting a car that don't run.

USB OTG:

Yeah,

Quoting myself. But this is a 2.1 beta...and still I think it should have been activated.
    06-07-12 07:58 AM
    Mmmmmmmm,

Well after installing 2.1 beta I can only relate what my experience was before reverting back to 2.01.

Observations:

1. Battery consumption between charges increased to a very high level.
    2. Browser crashed constantly or would suddenly shut down.
    3. Trying to scroll upwards in contacts would result in Bing maps being launched.
    4. Opening apps became very slow to the point where I stopped using them.
    5. Bridged access to my 9860 became so slow I stopped using that as well.

Apart from those minor issues I saw no visible or tangible changes from 2.01 to 2.1 which leaves me wondering what RIM are trying to achieve or if in fact they even know what they are trying to achieve?

I always remember "British Rail" producing an TV ad years ago where they proudly stated "We're getting there". The one problem with their statement at the time was "they had no clue where they were trying to get to"!

Sound familiar RIM?
    06-08-12 03:50 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD