The new version needs to have an eReader app for side-loaded non-DRM ie public domain books. The version of Kobo currently included with the PB does not have this Import capability, while oddly the Android version of Kobo does.

This is a show-stopper for the significant proportion of PB users who want to use it as an eReader.
    I use EPUB Reader. Try it out.

Got some free programming books and it works great.
    05-12-12 08:26 AM
    Lol didn't even notice i type that.

K obviously meant "RIM's job"

still doesnt make it sound any better

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Whatever floats your boat
    05-12-12 09:10 AM
    Will they release the bridge update along with the dev beta for the tablet? How does that work?
    05-12-12 10:59 AM
    Will they release the bridge update along with the dev beta for the tablet? How does that work?
    Just thinking about it - a wifi bridge would certainly take pressure off from carriers who may not like users using their bbphone data for pb bridge functions. So far only AT&T has blocked the bridge for browsing but other carriers could follow suit. Of course, when wifi is available, bridge is not generally necessary. But who knows what irks carriers other than not making gobs of profit.
    05-12-12 11:48 AM
    there is no dev beta... 2.1 is been in testing for a while (check html5test.com you can see 2.1 is there along with bb10 being listed as browsers/os to come)
    Visch12 likes this.
    05-12-12 01:20 PM
    there is no dev beta... 2.1 is been in testing for a while (check html5test.com you can see 2.1 is there along with bb10 being listed as browsers/os to come)
    Hey sorry, but there is a picture posted above that is kind of proof that there is a developer release coming soon...Michael Clewley tweeted that, and RIM employees like him have been known to tweet this stuff in the past and they are accurate in timing...so SOON is up to interpretation, but I would suspect 2 weeks...I have also read elsewhere a beta release would be by the end of May...soooo it is coming
    05-12-12 01:31 PM
    All language support this time?
    05-12-12 02:08 PM
    Hey sorry, but there is a picture posted above that is kind of proof that there is a developer release coming soon...Michael Clewley tweeted that, and RIM employees like him have been known to tweet this stuff in the past and they are accurate in timing...so SOON is up to interpretation, but I would suspect 2 weeks...I have also read elsewhere a beta release would be by the end of May...soooo it is coming
    i know but i dont think so...
    05-12-12 02:09 PM
    While the added features of 2.1 is welcomed, i would love to see a major improvement of the functionality of Os as well. Even though 2.0.1 fixed some issues, it did bring about several other problems that ive now started to witness. Maybe its an isolated problem, and perhaps i need to wipe my device, but for the most part the lagg is becoming irritating.

-Browser tabs lagg terribly, sometimes even unresponsive.
    -Apps take tooo long to start (music, browser, camera, mail, calendar, contacts)
    -Within the music app songs take 7-10 secs to change when clicked *sometimes* i wonder if drag and drop affects responsiveness vs syncing music.... Not all albums lagg some responds fluidly while in others its unbearable.
    -keyboard laggs too much, especially in browser
    -Have the Os prompt you before it closes your apps

What I really really need even more than an equalizer, file manager, bookmark manager, video organizer.... Is to have a OS that is very stable and not inconsistent.

**i have noticed a significant decrease in functionality so much so that im afraid to lend my playbook, out of fear that it might be mocked on.
    Last edited by digtech; 05-12-12 at 02:28 PM.
    05-12-12 02:11 PM
    Yes and BlackBerry10 is also on html5test.
    There is absolutely a dev beta of OS 2.1 coming soon. Probably in the next week or two followed by an official release in June or July.
    05-12-12 02:43 PM
    i know but i dont think so...
    But the PlayBook Product Manager seems to think so...

And I have more reason to believe him than you...and oddly enough you should have more reason to believe him than yourself
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    05-12-12 04:19 PM
    The continuation of the great Rim-Pavlovian experiment. A new OS. Ah. A beta OS. Ah (with some glistening). A new Bridge. (more glistening). A new OS is around the corner - full out salivating..... and on and on it goes.............
    05-12-12 05:20 PM
    What's the chance of video chat and other programs missing from the dev beta like it was in 2.0?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk
    CptArm3D likes this.
    05-12-12 06:53 PM
    Fairly likely I'd say
    05-13-12 11:46 AM
    2.1 update should contain the ability to run cascade built apps. hence the reason for the beta status.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    I might be reading this wrong; isn't 2.0.1.358 already able to run cascade-built apps such as Scrapbook? I was under the impression Scrapbook was an app serving as a proof of concept for devs to see what would be openly available for them in the future.

Am I wrong? Is scrapbook not built with cascades?
    05-13-12 12:07 PM
    Yes and if I'm not mistaken the calculator app is also built with cascades.

I'm not a dev but I think only Rim has had the ability to run and publish apps built with cascades to the playbook.
    Last edited by BB-Bmore; 05-13-12 at 12:50 PM.
    05-13-12 12:35 PM
    Yes and if I'm not mistaken the calculator app is also built with cascades.

I'm not a dev but I think only Rim has had the ability to run and publish apps built with cascades to the playbook.
    I am trying to get this straight too... My impression is that the PB can already run apps built with cascades.. Simply because cascades is like a tool kit that helps devs in building the application. Instead let's say writing 40 lines of code to create a button in the application the dev can use a library or whatever from cascades and have it done with less effort (and getting nicer visual effects)

The PB OS does not distinguish between an app written entirely by the dev line after line or using cascades.

Someone can tell me if that is right??
    05-13-12 04:07 PM
    Don't want to derail the OP too much, but could some dev chime in? If OS 2.0.1 can run Scrapbook and the Calculator apps, then of two things are happening:

- some version of Cascades is already present in the OS we are currently enjoying in our PlayBook.

- these two apps have the framework embedded in the app the way the ReadOn Touch Pro has 15MB packed inside it in order to run in the BBPB OS when originally developed for the WebOS environment.

In case it's not obvious enough, I don't know the first thing about app development.
    05-13-12 05:29 PM
    cannot wait to try out 2.1

sms bridge !!! ill be in heaven.

having just got my playbook recently how hard is it to install beta/leaked os builds?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Playbookjoe likes this.
    05-13-12 05:37 PM
    My biggest question is: "Why is this a dev beta?"

I understood the desire to give devs the jump on the Android Player with 2.0 but what will something such as 2.1 bring that is as significant to warrant a dev beta for such a small bump in revision?
    Most platforms will receive developer betas of updates first. E.g iOS, Windows etc.

Allows devs to check compatability, fix any issues, update for new APIs etc.

As for the discussion regarding cascades: any app currently available using cascades has it packaged in the .BAR file.
    whitbags likes this.
    05-13-12 05:45 PM
    cannot wait to try out 2.1

sms bridge !!! ill be in heaven.

having just got my playbook recently how hard is it to install beta/leaked os builds?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Its as hard as Typing your email,pin and hitting the update button on your Playbook
    05-13-12 06:14 PM
    2.0.1 can run cascades apps, but you have to include the cascades libraries within the app, as the OS doesn't have them natively. from what i understand, 2.1 will have the libraries (and full API access which is fantastic, maybe in android too? skype? hahahahah) and apps from that point on will no longer need to be compiled with the libraries within the bar. (i think they are .so files or something)

just from reading forums on here and collecting information for myself, i could be wrong, but that is the interpretation i got.
    05-13-12 10:07 PM
    I might be reading this wrong; isn't 2.0.1.358 already able to run cascade-built apps such as Scrapbook? I was under the impression Scrapbook was an app serving as a proof of concept for devs to see what would be openly available for them in the future.

Am I wrong? Is scrapbook not built with cascades?
    Yes and no.

Cascades is something TAT has had in various forms for years now. Some of the system apps, including the Clock and Calculator, and Scrapbook, are "Cascades apps".

That's pretty uninteresting to us, however, because Cascades is evolving. It is now built on top of Qt, and quite significantly different than it was before as a result of that (and probably in other ways).

It is this Qt-based Cascades, which is what we'll have for BB10 and have now in the Dev Alpha, which is NOT yet on the PlayBook, and may not be there even in 2.1.
    05-15-12 10:52 PM
    If it's going to be a developer beta, then it would make the most sense for the 2.1 OS to support Cascades... otherwise why would developers need it?
    05-21-12 03:27 PM
    If it's going to be a developer beta, then it would make the most sense for the 2.1 OS to support Cascades... otherwise why would developers need it?
    Because there are massive changes to the android player (multi-tasking) in OS 2.1 --- that's why there is going to be a developer beta version available.
    05-21-12 03:39 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD