So I was tweeting with a Rim employee earlier today about the playbook and he said that a dev beta of 2.1 is coming "soon".

From my past experience with the guy "soon" is usually about two weeks.

Another thing is I was asking him about a new browser possibly being in 2.1 and that is when he said I will find out because a dev beta Is coming soon.

I also think the jaycut video editor could be part of 2.1.
    Why?

Well do you remember the Blog on crackberry about jaycut being on blackberry10 ?

The picture shown was jaycut running on a playbook,that along with rumors of it coming along nicely and the fact that we are going from 2.0.1 to 2.1 leads me to believe it may be in there. Also if RIM intends to launch a 4g along with the 2.1, it would be a good move.

Jaycut in 2.1 is speculation on my part

Dev beta of 2.1 coming soon is fact.

What else do you guys think will be in 2.1?

What do you want to see most?
    Last edited by BB-Bmore; 05-12-12 at 08:20 AM.
    05-11-12 07:41 PM
    What I want to see in 2.1 is the ability to use a thumb drive to the USB port. To transfer files back and forth.
    Rajmessi, axllebeer, zma15 and 4 others like this.
    05-11-12 07:59 PM
    That would be awesome and a good idea for Rim if they do indeed plan on launching a 4g.
    05-11-12 08:01 PM
    But I thought at one time it would become available for the PB wifi version that we have now?
    05-11-12 08:12 PM
    jafobabe, I'm sure it will, but I don't think it will be with 2.1. I suspect that functionality won't be finished and available until BB10, and as you probably know BB10 for the PlayBook is expected only after the first BB10 phones are launched in the fall. (Sad, but probably true.)

Edit: or, I could be wrong: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0/#post7390496 (I wasn't at the session in question, so I have no personal knowledge of it.)
    Last edited by peter9477; 05-11-12 at 08:21 PM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-11-12 08:17 PM
    Yes I believe your right. I'm just saying I think it would be smart for Rim to include it in 2.1 if in fact they are releasing a 4g along with 2.1.
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-11-12 08:21 PM
    Hopefully 2.1 will be good enough that waiting so long for blackberry10 won't be as bad
    jafobabe and kbz1960 like this.
    05-11-12 08:23 PM
    since 2.0.1 was alot of background technical fixes and the like, i hope 2.1 focuses on the UI aspect of it, making the playbook look prettier. Some Cascade apps would be nice too, atleast the native ones like browser, file manager, music and video.
    05-11-12 08:53 PM
    since 2.0.1 was alot of background technical fixes and the like, i hope 2.1 focuses on the UI aspect of it, making the playbook look prettier. Some Cascade apps would be nice too, atleast the native ones like browser, file manager, music and video.

I doubt we will see too many UI changes..otherwise it won't be called 2.1 but 3.
    05-11-12 09:20 PM
    I'm hoping to see some "send to" features like there is on the phones.

I did a survey in beta zone for playbook and one of the questions asked if I'd like to have that along with some font customization for the homescreen. Hopefully it's an indication of. What's to come in 2.1.

Also the media app tat showed awhile back would be amazing.
    Last edited by BB-Bmore; 05-11-12 at 09:45 PM.
    05-11-12 09:42 PM
    I'm thinking no USB OTG is a major complaint from the beginning because it lacks a card slot so it will be in 2.1.

That would make sense. They are adding to the PB, email, calendar, and most other major complaints are being fixed first.

I read they tweaked the browser engine and will polish it later...editing favorites etc.

Makes sense...build the motor then paint the car, no sense in painting a car that don't run.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    05-11-12 09:44 PM
    I'm hoping to see some "send to" features like there is on the phones.
    This will be available when the "Invocation Framework" is released, but that's highly unlikely to be part of 2.1.

At the BB10 Jam, we had a preview of the API, but they indicated that even as they described it, they were actively working on it back home. It was clearly not complete enough for us to expect this to be part of 2.1. I expect it shortly after that but only for the Alpha devices, and probably not available to users until BB10 is released. (Just my gut feeling on it.)
    05-11-12 10:15 PM
    What are the chances that the Tablet OS 2.1 will break multiple features like the OS 2.0 Beta?
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    05-11-12 10:24 PM
    My biggest question is: "Why is this a dev beta?"

I understood the desire to give devs the jump on the Android Player with 2.0 but what will something such as 2.1 bring that is as significant to warrant a dev beta for such a small bump in revision?
    05-11-12 11:29 PM

I understood the desire to give devs the jump on the Android Player with 2.0 but what will something such as 2.1 bring that is as significant to warrant a dev beta for such a small bump in revision?
    Small bump? 2.1 is the crossroads to BB10. It's where we can finally play around with supporting multiple resolutions, Cascades, new APIs.
    05-12-12 12:20 AM
    Small bump? 2.1 is the crossroads to BB10. It's where we can finally play around with supporting multiple resolutions, Cascades, new APIs.
    Wasn't aware of this. Anywhere I can read more about it?
    05-12-12 12:22 AM
    The mods added RUMOR to the title but just to be clear Michael Clewely (Playbook product manager for Rim) was the one who told me that 2.1 dev beta is coming soon,as seen in this tweet.
    Last edited by BB-Bmore; 05-12-12 at 08:13 AM.
    05-12-12 01:22 AM

2.1 update should contain the ability to run cascade built apps. hence the reason for the beta status.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Foreverup; 05-12-12 at 06:07 AM.
    05-12-12 06:05 AM
    Every responsible application dev-house will go through some sort of review and/or QA process... whether this be alpha/beta/etc testing.

Also, I wouldn't call the jump from 2.0 to 2.1 a minor one. 2.0 to 2.0.1 definitely but not in this case.
    For more information on revision numbers for software, see here @ Software versioning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    05-12-12 06:19 AM
    The new version needs to have an eReader app for side-loaded non-DRM ie public domain books. The version of Kobo currently included with the PB does not have this Import capability, while oddly the Android version of Kobo does.

This is a show-stopper for the significant proportion of PB users who want to use it as an eReader.
    05-12-12 07:50 AM
    The new version needs to have an eReader app for side-loaded non-DRM ie public domain books. The version of Kobo currently included with the PB does not have this Import capability, while oddly the Android version of Kobo does.

This is a show-stopper for the significant proportion of PB users who want to use it as an eReader.

Why don't you just download one of the ones in app world. Sorry but it shouldn't be RIM job to make apps for everyone especially an ereader (sorry) they just need to focus on the OS

05-12-12 08:00 AM
    Hah.

RIM job.
    bbaleno likes this.
    05-12-12 08:02 AM
    Hah.

RIM job.

Lol didn't even notice i type that.

K obviously meant "RIM's job"

still doesnt make it sound any better

morlock_man likes this.
    05-12-12 08:06 AM
    jafobabe, I'm sure it will, but I don't think it will be with 2.1. I suspect that functionality won't be finished and available until BB10, and as you probably know BB10 for the PlayBook is expected only after the first BB10 phones are launched in the fall. (Sad, but probably true.)

Edit: or, I could be wrong: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0/#post7390496 (I wasn't at the session in question, so I have no personal knowledge of it.)
    I was at the session. My impression is that the BT and USB stuff is going to be launched on BB10. Even now, the NDK does not have the APIs yet.
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-12-12 08:10 AM
    Why don't you just download one of the ones in app world. Sorry but it shouldn't be RIM job to make apps for everyone especially an ereader (sorry) they just need to focus on the OS
    Actually I have downloaded a third-party app (Book Reader) and it's pretty mickey-mouse and has no UI. Like most mainstream users (ie. non-hackers) I would prefer to use a mainstream reader like Kobo or Overdrive since they are the industry leaders in this area.

But, as I mentionned, I consider eReading to be a core function of the PB - right up there with eMail for many (most?) users. As such, I beg to differ, it IS Rim's specific responsibility to ensure that a bullet-proof version of this function IS available on the device. Some things are so important to the success of the product that they can't be left to the whims of the after market.

Of course RIM has to provide a robust OS, but they can't stop there. If they want to capture market share back from Apple and Android they must be proactive in ensuring the availability of essential functionality. The product (and the company) will succeed or fail on the apps!
    05-12-12 08:16 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD