One of the things you have to remember is that QNX is just the backbone to the OS. When they started bringing it to the PlayBook, there wasn't an interface or APIs for developers to use.

With BBJam just a couple days away, they have been talking about releasing a new SDK for developers. This should include a lot of new APIs that can be used. The 2.1 OS will need to match the new API set, so while they have been building the new SDK, they have to test it with the OS.

It wouldn't surprise me if they released both during BBJam. Devs will need the new SDK, along with the OS to test the new features. Hopefully the same goes for BB10 and the Dev Alpha OS.
    09-23-12 08:55 AM
    I dont like to rain on any parades but few, if any, OS updates or features have ever been released in conjunction with "an event". Blackberry world, devcon, etc always seem to come around and be accompanied by streams of rumors about this or that being released with it and it doesnt happen. Like all the other updates, one day we will suddenly get leaks from credible sources fly around the blogs then boom we will get a bridge update and boom a day or two later the OS update.

I strongly caution patience as we may not see any more updates, period, before bb10. Word around the campfire is that RIM has pulled out all the stops to get it finished and released, preaumably for damage control as yet another missed deadline (bb10's release) and they are supposedly pouring all their resources toward that end. Given the last OS update's dismal failure, I find it highly likely they have abandoned that ship in favor of the fresh new launch.

And by than I will have a PB going on the downward slope of being two years old. I will look for something newer.

If they do cancel the PR and backlash from early adopters
    will be very nasty to say the least.

There could be a "BlackBerry Spring" (pun on Arab Spring) on their hands.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-23-12 08:56 AM
    My hope is that the update will come Tuesday the 25th. My expectation is that it will or it won't. My experience is that I have an awesome tablet that I utilize on a daily basis and it brings great joy.

So, here's to hopes and experiences and no expectations! Woohoo!
    bay1902, BB_Bmore and cogsinister like this.
    09-23-12 09:07 AM
    I hope they surprise us with something, I don't know about you guys, but when 2.0 dropped I was dissapointed (to clarify this was my fault, not RIM's, but still), that the only thing new from the beta was email, which we already knew was coming (and of course print to go). I just hope in this release there's something to stop and go, wow, wasn't expecting that! Considering it's been most people's opinion that the os was ready since the first beta, or close to ready.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-23-12 12:43 PM
    There should be some wow in 2.1...i hope it should be more than coincidence that BBM native and Navigator is showing up in the bug report app. I was also told by a dev that they are going to show off a lot of BB10 stuff at the Jam. He told me and i quote "its amazing,powerful,just wow" "You will see Tuesday" he says.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-23-12 12:54 PM
    There should be some wow in 2.1...i hope it should be more than coincidence that BBM native and Navigator is showing up in the bug report app. I was also told by a dev that they are going to show off a lot of BB10 stuff at the Jam. He told me and i quote "its amazing,powerful,just wow" "You will see Tuesday" he says.
    If we get a BB Travel app on our next os update, I will shat myself and never ask for anything else.....well....at least for a while.
    09-23-12 12:59 PM
    Tell me about it. I dont think Rim would wait for BlackBerry Jam to release it if it didnt have a little wow in it.

If you think about it, A BBM and Navigator app makes perfect sense now that there is a 4G PlayBook on the market
    09-23-12 01:03 PM
    I wonder why it has taken so long. Os 2.1 beta was released a long time ago. Are os updates normally this long in beta?? Or is it possible that another big feauture that they have had to perfect is being added in. Apart from. Sms in bridge, everything else is apparently in the beta?? So I know imagine that the actual 2.1 update could have been rolled out a while ago....

Does this possibly explain another feature that we are not expecting????
    From what I understand most of 2.1 updates / improvements are alll on the enterprise side. This Beta has been getting extensive enterprise testing.

That's why the last BES update that came out a few days ago introduced a bunch of new features (OTA activations ect) that will be active once 2.1 is released.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-23-12 01:05 PM
    They'll be pitching the power of the 2.1 PlayBook paired with the current generation of BB7 phones and how this will evolve with BB10 phones. It's pretty smart. They waited until after all the other players were committed to their 'next-gen' smart devices before making them all look obsolete.

It kind of reminds me of the movie 'The Wizard' when they announced Super Mario Brothers 3. (I was 8 when this came out.) I'm expecting that kind of developer excitement at BB Jam Americas.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TscjsNMvnDg[/YT]

I just hope they bring the right level of showmanship to this one to bring up investor confidence with what will likely be a rough earnings call on the 28th.
    09-23-12 01:35 PM
    They'll be pitching the power of the 2.1 PlayBook paired with the current generation of BB7 phones and how this will evolve with BB10 phones. It's pretty smart. They waited until after all the other players were committed to their 'next-gen' smart devices before making them all look obsolete.

It kind of reminds me of the movie 'The Wizard' when they announced Super Mario Brothers 3. (I was 8 when this came out.) I'm expecting that kind of developer excitement at BB Jam Americas.

I just hope they bring the right level of showmanship to this one to bring up investor confidence with what will likely be a rough earnings call on the 28th.
    And it has to work with no bugs or glitches. I can't imagine the pressure of hosting an event to lure developers to enhance the ecosystem while simultaneously updating the SDKs and rolling out new functionality to PB OS that all work as advertised in order to have a tangible upside to talk about the following Friday on an earnings call. Say what you will, but if they are able to pull this off, it will carry a lot of weight for confidence in the upcoming BB10.
    09-23-12 01:58 PM
    And it has to work with no bugs or glitches. I can't imagine the pressure of hosting an event to lure developers to enhance the ecosystem while simultaneously updating the SDKs and rolling out new functionality to PB OS that all work as advertised in order to have a tangible upside to talk about the following Friday on an earnings call. Say what you will, but if they are able to pull this off, it will carry a lot of weight for confidence in the upcoming BB10.
    In the wake of Apple's Map fumble, a bug-free launch of 2.1 would go a long way to demonstrate the exceptional abilities of the talented people RIM has working on this project.

This is definitely a key point in earning investor, developer and consumer confidence in the platform.
    09-23-12 02:13 PM
    I will be very surprised if anything official get released this year
    09-23-12 02:28 PM
    Don't be surprised if native BBM is still absent.
    howarmat and louzer like this.
    09-23-12 03:56 PM
    I will be very surprised if anything official get released this year
    Awwww. That's so sad. I understand exactly where you're coming from but it's so sad that many of us are starting to feel this way. I love my pb and 9930 but RIM needs to bring it. I've decided to be optimistic and so hope I don't regret it.
    09-23-12 04:13 PM

that's not coming till BB10.......Right?
    howarmat likes this.
    09-23-12 04:23 PM
    Also don't be surprised if the 'RIM is dead' crowd aren't wowed by this release. No scenario other than the complete dismantling of the Apple machine will convince them otherwise.
    09-23-12 05:51 PM
    BBM is written with cascades so I don't expect that till bb10. I don't expect much from the official 2.1. Bridge SMS is there already, it is waiting on a bridge update for the phone. I do expect bridge over WiFi also but how much individuals utilize that I'm not sure. I want it to be more exciting than 2.0 release but not expecting I to be
    09-23-12 06:04 PM
    When was the last time RIM released anything that really "wowed" anybody? Cutting edge, flashy innovation isn't exactly their strong-suit. And that was fine from 1998 to 2008 or so, but now... too little too late.
    09-23-12 06:23 PM
    All devices being equal, the importance of fundamental technologies baked into the operating system and developer acceptance of the platform are what create market acceptance.

They never had a need to 'wow' before. They weren't aimed at the same marketplace. Despite a declining marketshare, RIM's customer-base has about 8 times the users they had when the iPhone was first released. Now that the market has grown to its current size, a 'wow' would do wonders for their future.
    Last edited by morlock_man; 09-23-12 at 07:39 PM.
    09-23-12 07:34 PM
    The optimism is nice to see, unfortunately to little to late. The present PB are not getting their timely updates.....what makes me want to come back to RIM for my cell phone???? Sad because it looks so promising, I do not trust them anymore, that is hard to get back!!!
    09-23-12 07:46 PM
    Would someone be soo kind to tell me what's gonna be soo great about 2.1 thank u
    09-23-12 08:29 PM
    Would someone be soo kind to tell me what's gonna be soo great about 2.1 thank u
    Any os update that brings new features (whatever they are) and improvements on existing stuff is great in my opinion. Specifically though, I'd like the sms feature over bridge and a native navigation app.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    09-23-12 08:43 PM
    Not trying to be sarcastic but how do you explain the bug app that some users are getting that clearly shows Native BBM and a Navigator app for users to report bugs on.

Could it be this bug app is internal and was never supposed to reach a consumers PlayBook?
    09-23-12 09:52 PM
    Not trying to be sarcastic but how do you explain the bug app that some users are getting that clearly shows Native BBM and a Navigator app for users to report bugs on.

Could it be this bug app is internal and was never supposed to reach a consumers PlayBook?
    Just got back from 3 days of hiking. Checked the 358 64g - no updates. Checked the 804 32g - no updates. (and I may have those version numbers a bit dyslexic!)

No bug reporter. No nothing but they both turned on which was nice.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-24-12 12:07 AM
    Just got back from 3 days of hiking. Checked the 358 64g - no updates. Checked the 804 32g - no updates. (and I may have those version numbers a bit dyslexic!)

No bug reporter. No nothing but they both turned on which was nice.
    I have the bug reporter app on my 358 PB after updating yesterday. I figured the 1MB update was too small to do serious harm to my PB so I took a chance!

Maybe we're all set to become unofficial Beta Testers with RIM giving us the opportunity to report bugs into their official system? LOL
    Last edited by JeepBB; 09-24-12 at 04:35 AM.
    09-24-12 01:48 AM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD