Take this with a grain of salt but I have a friend who works at RIM who has gotten word that they are aiming to release OS 2.1 during BBJam with the aim to release it on the Tuesday (Sept 25th). This would be in line with a recent tweet from Bla1ze that they are testing 2.1.1012 for a gold release candidate. As it was mentioned before, RIM has a tendency to switch dates without reason so I promise nothing and I am merely passing along what I have heard.
    Last edited by ad19; 09-22-12 at 09:48 PM.
    ralfyguy, Matt J, rexrim and 1 others like this.
    09-22-12 04:51 PM
    At this point I think we all expect to have it released next week. I would be shocked if they don't actually
    09-22-12 04:57 PM
    I don't think the version number has anything to do with a date at all.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 09-22-12 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Think
    09-22-12 05:03 PM
    I don't the version number has anything to do with a date at all.
    I agree the version number has nothing to do with the date but the mere fact they're testing for a gold release suggests that it will indeed be released soon.
    PedroBorgas and Thunderbuck like this.
    09-22-12 05:08 PM
    At this point I think we all expect to have it released next week. I would be shocked if they don't actually
    Agreed, and this is the first time I have seriously considered it being released... It seems like some were expecting the release a few other times, but this honestly if the first time I actually believe that they will, and as you said I'd be shocked as well...
    09-22-12 05:41 PM
    I don't know about anyone else, but my view is that when it gets released then it gets released.

No point trying to figure out stuff that's not within my control.

(BTW OP (ad19), my post is not a swipe at you, just saying that I don't hold out for OS releases, just accept them as they come - warts 'n all)
    09-22-12 05:50 PM
    I thought it was coming out on the 20th according to another thread but I hope your right OP.
    09-22-12 05:59 PM
    I'm gonna hold my breath... will I look good in blue?
    snarlybear likes this.
    09-22-12 06:01 PM
    Only get excited when you get a bridge update
    jafobabe and FoxxBerry like this.
    09-22-12 06:37 PM
    OCT 25 ?? hope not!
    09-22-12 06:48 PM
    Another Jam in October!?! No seriously with all the strange updates going on along with the bug app showing up and BlackBerry Jam coming in a couple days, it's not hard to read in between the lines.

Waiting to release it during the Jam leads me to believe 2.1 may have something very cool/exciting in it...bring it on RIM.
    09-22-12 07:52 PM
    OP clearly meant "September" 25th, not October.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-22-12 08:06 PM
    Lordy.... now another month to wait? Seems we are wishing our whole lives away with all these rumors.

As a poster above, I will believe it when we get a bridge update.
    09-22-12 08:16 PM
    Take this with a grain of salt but I have a friend who works at RIM who has gotten word that they are aiming to release OS 2.1 during BBJam with the aim to release it on the Tuesday (Sept 25th). This would be in line with a recent tweet from Bla1ze that they are testing 2.1.1012 for a gold release candidate. As it was mentioned before, RIM has a tendency to switch dates without reason so I promise nothing and I am merely passing along what I have heard.
    PB OS 2.1.1012?
    wow how many release versions is that now? They have beta tested the crap out of this update in the last 4 months....I hope that means this update will be AWSOME!! (now imagine that last line said by Jon Stewart)
    09-22-12 10:22 PM
    It better be released next week during Jam Americas......it's already the first week of fall next week.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    kiddoc and pickles#WP like this.
    09-22-12 10:58 PM
    It better be released next week during Jam Americas......it's already the first week of fall next week.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Does that mean its still currently the end of summer?
    lol
    antiRIM likes this.
    09-22-12 11:17 PM
    OP clearly meant "September" 25th, not October.
    Nope, he meant Oct 25.... 2025
    09-22-12 11:20 PM
    Does that mean its still currently the end of summer?
    lol
    This is what we've come to, right there in 10 words.
    09-22-12 11:39 PM
    Sure, seems plausible. I'd like to see this out sooner rather than later, since this really represents the first missed target since Heins took over as CEO, and it's a fairly big miss (I thought we'd be seeing this before the end of July, myself).

What I suspect is that adapting QNX to RIM's current enterprise infrastructure has continued to be a bit of a struggle. It's also possible that RIM has diverted as many resources as possible to getting BB10 out on time.
    09-23-12 12:21 AM
    Sure, seems plausible. I'd like to see this out sooner rather than later, since this really represents the first missed target since Heins took over as CEO, and it's a fairly big miss (I thought we'd be seeing this before the end of July, myself).

What I suspect is that adapting QNX to RIM's current enterprise infrastructure has continued to be a bit of a struggle. It's also possible that RIM has diverted as many resources as possible to getting BB10 out on time.
    All jokes aside, The only missed target that I hold against Heins is BB10 end of Q4 delayed to Q1.

"End of Summer" was from a secret picture taken of a slide in a back room that was never meant to be public.
    09-23-12 01:06 AM
    I wonder why it has taken so long. Os 2.1 beta was released a long time ago. Are os updates normally this long in beta?? Or is it possible that another big feauture that they have had to perfect is being added in. Apart from. Sms in bridge, everything else is apparently in the beta?? So I know imagine that the actual 2.1 update could have been rolled out a while ago....

Does this possibly explain another feature that we are not expecting????
    09-23-12 06:36 AM
    Could it possibly be BBM?
    09-23-12 07:34 AM
    I dont like to rain on any parades but few, if any, OS updates or features have ever been released in conjunction with "an event". Blackberry world, devcon, etc always seem to come around and be accompanied by streams of rumors about this or that being released with it and it doesnt happen. Like all the other updates, one day we will suddenly get leaks from credible sources fly around the blogs then boom we will get a bridge update and boom a day or two later the OS update.

I strongly caution patience as we may not see any more updates, period, before bb10. Word around the campfire is that RIM has pulled out all the stops to get it finished and released, preaumably for damage control as yet another missed deadline (bb10's release) and they are supposedly pouring all their resources toward that end. Given the last OS update's dismal failure, I find it highly likely they have abandoned that ship in favor of the fresh new launch.
    09-23-12 08:17 AM
    I wonder why it has taken so long. Os 2.1 beta was released a long time ago. Are os updates normally this long in beta?? Or is it possible that another big feauture that they have had to perfect is being added in. Apart from. Sms in bridge, everything else is apparently in the beta?? So I know imagine that the actual 2.1 update could have been rolled out a while ago....

I have been wondering about this also. As far as I understand the production numbers this was supposed to be a minor update to OS2.0 with the only really added feature being sms over bridge. I downloaded the 2.1 beta to fix the issues I was having with the .668 update. I am enjoying the beta and it did fix the issues - but there aren't any new 'wow' features that I can see. More of a tightening up of the OS, which is what I expected.

I feel like people have now hyped this release so long that they think it's going to be like when 2.0 was released. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

Myself - I like the beta and am happily waiting to get sms.
    09-23-12 08:48 AM

SMS Bridge is already in the 2.1 beta since the first revision. We just need a bridge update for it to function.
    09-23-12 08:50 AM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD