true, communication and marketing at RIM leaves something to be desired. I think they are trying hard to **** people off, but then again, I kind of had a hunch they were goign to wait till DevCON in late october to announce another big update.
    08-03-11 05:31 AM
    Blackberry Playbook will run Android apps by 'late fall,' later than expected -- Engadget

Stinks if true.

Full text of blog......

By Sharif Sakr posted Aug 3rd 2011 8:22AM Exclusive

RIM previously announced that its Playbook tablet would be able to run Android apps by the summer, but we've just heard something to the contrary. A reliable source told us that this highly anticipated feature of the Blackberry slate now won't arrive until "late fall." With RIM struggling against ever-stronger competition, delays like this are bad news -- the Playbook needs this new lease of Android life as soon as possible.
    Last edited by pkcable; 08-03-11 at 07:40 AM. Reason: adding text of blog
    08-03-11 07:31 AM
    I am sitting here simmering about this.

I was starting to believe that RIM was getting itself together and executing properly.

If this is true I think there is a good chance that Playbook is dead. Not because Playbook needs Android Apps but because the stench of failure and missed opportunities hangs over this product. Who would want to buy it?

Notice how this news slips out on a day when they are finally announcing some new phones. They hope this fact will get lost in the mix.
    Last edited by lawguyman; 08-03-11 at 07:45 AM.
    Gerii likes this.
    08-03-11 07:41 AM
    CB member's shouldn't have to go to another site to read it. All credit to Engadget for this RUMOR, but you can read it here no need to give them any page views.

We shall see if it turns out to be true or not, with RIM you never know! In the meantime lets enjoy the leak, and perhaps we'll get a better leak if not the real thing sooner rather than later.
    togardergrosse likes this.
    08-03-11 07:43 AM
    CB member's shouldn't have to go to another site to read it. All credit to Engadget for this RUMOR, but you can read it here no need to give them any page views.

We shall see if it turns out to be true or not, with RIM you never know! In the meantime lets enjoy the leak, and perhaps we'll get a better leak if not the real thing sooner rather than later.
    Agreed. Plus the way I see it is if the leaked version we had really was only a few days old instead of an earlier build as RIM stated, then there still is some work to be done. I rather see a finished clean product than a half-baked one, personally, even if it means waiting just a little bit longer.
    08-03-11 08:14 AM
    not surprised, as soccernamlak said, I want a finished product. Honestly, a month or 2 delay isn't going to make or break at this point. The playbook lost already, but hopefully its out before the Christmas shopping season begins in November so it can boast some Christmas sales
    08-03-11 08:21 AM
    You guys kill me.

This is RIM that we are talking about. Just because it is delayed does not mean it will be finished when it is released.

Judging by past history it will be both late AND buggy.
    08-03-11 08:30 AM
    Its coming...sometime.
    08-03-11 08:34 AM
    You guys kill me.

This is RIM that we are talking about. Just because it is delayed does not mean it will be finished when it is released.

Judging by past history it will be both late AND buggy.
    I refuse to get into another argument on this. Perfect example, Microsoft OS's Win95, lots of bugs, Win98 lots of bugs and late, Winme was a disaster, Winxp almost 12yrs after release, and still fixing bugs, Vista buggy and late and Win7 less bugs and on time lol MS might finally have it right with Win7, so nothing is perfect when first released.

So please keep your comments about late and buggy to yourself, otherwise, please get a job at RIM and do their programming for them and I want to see a finished product by the end of August BUG FREE
    08-03-11 08:38 AM
    I refuse to get into another argument on this. Perfect example, Microsoft OS's Win95, lots of bugs, Win98 lots of bugs and late, Winme was a disaster, Winxp almost 12yrs after release, and still fixing bugs, Vista buggy and late and Win7 less bugs and on time lol MS might finally have it right with Win7, so nothing is perfect when first released.

So please keep your comments about late and buggy to yourself, otherwise, please get a job at RIM and do their programming for them and I want to see a finished product by the end of August BUG FREE
    If you have not noticed, Microsoft has an operating system monopoly. People could complain about bugs but they really had nowhere to go. This may be changing a bit now though.

If people don't like RIM's products, there are plenty of alternatives.
    08-03-11 08:47 AM
    Doesn't surprise me. I guess this what we've come to expect from RIM which is sad. I hope that we get some of the other functionality needed before then. I hope we don't need no stinkin android player but I'm sure we will as RIM doesn't seem to be to much right anymore other then get fips or whatever approved.
    08-03-11 08:49 AM
    i hate to say this but i RIM should never went into tablet business.they are not ready and they should focus on phone first.
    howarmat, emosquito and OnTopic like this.
    08-03-11 09:00 AM
    Code written by human's will have bugs. Bug Free does not exist on any platform. The best way to have bug free products is to keep delaying them, right RIM?
    08-03-11 09:04 AM
    hopefully this is becuase they want to update it to support gingerbread or ice cream, or whatever crappy OS is running now a days.
    08-03-11 09:05 AM
    it is quite dissapointing and also sad we have given up hope on native apps and relying on android player to give us apps.
    08-03-11 09:11 AM
    hopefully this is becuase they want to update it to support gingerbread or ice cream, or whatever crappy OS is running now a days.
    i hope youre right but nowadays i dont believe in RIM anymore.
    08-03-11 09:11 AM
    Wonder when they will tell us that both Player and Native PIM and e-mail will be fall officially! Will someone tell Mike and Jim that their company sucks at communication, and what communication we do get ends up being incorrect (Q1 availability, Native PIM and e-mail 60 days out). If this Android player rumor is true you can add it to the list.
    08-03-11 09:13 AM
    Rim is just stalling for 2012 Aztec destruction so they don't have to build the android app
    san4berry, darcypa and williamej like this.
    08-03-11 09:25 AM
    i truly lose more respect daily for this company that i once highly regarded. They are a complete mess right now with no direction at all. I will be amazed if the OS 7 devices arent a mess now too.
    nomi1978 likes this.
    08-03-11 09:36 AM
    Wonder when they will tell us that both Player and Native PIM and e-mail will be fall officially! Will someone tell Mike and Jim that their company sucks at communication, and what communication we do get ends up being incorrect (Q1 availability, Native PIM and e-mail 60 days out). If this Android player rumor is true you can add it to the list.
    Well said.
    08-03-11 09:37 AM
    BTW who would be the 3rd stooge there?
    08-03-11 09:40 AM
    This is sad. It would be great to see RIM communicate openly about what is going on as this seems to continue to turn into loyalists defending whatever RIM does and early adopters showing exasperation at the lack of features that the Playbook was supposed to bring. The takeaway is clear, only buy a device for the functionality it has when it ships, not promised changes. Right now I'm sadly disappointed as I have a device I never use since I have no Kindle, Skype, IM+ (or other multi-party IM client), email, calendar, contacts (Bridge is not the same as having these native), and the list keeps growing (would love a Google+ app, Tweetdeck, good RSS Reader (like Reeder on iPad) and a podcasting tool with a full directory and syncing support).

I was looking forward to having this update so I could fill in the gaps while the RIM catalog was filled out by developers; now it looks like I'll have an expensive coaster for three more months.
    08-03-11 09:53 AM
    blackjack? you there pal? why is RIM right again and why are we all just whiners?
    OnTopic likes this.
    08-03-11 09:57 AM
    At this point, is there anyone who is actually suprised that yet another thing is going to be potentially delayed on the Playbook?
    anon(4018671) and nextlevel88 like this.
    08-03-11 09:59 AM
    Why does a month or 2 delay really matter people? like seriously!! It will arrive, you guys are just so damn impatient! And remember this is just rumored and as Kevin mentioned in his post after his visit to RIM is that there would be launches probably around big events which this falls right in line with DevCon in mid/late October! So this is more conforming to what Kevin has said ALL along!!
    Last edited by QuIcKsIlV3r; 08-03-11 at 10:03 AM.
    PsyCorps likes this.
    08-03-11 09:59 AM
160 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD