Rovio, thank you for bringing Angry Birds to the playbook platform!

Given that the QNX platform is SO different from the older BB OS, I would love to know how you felt about coding for QNX (especially under the (now) more open and (hopefully) more responsive RIM developer relations culture).
    Was it a smooth coding experience? Do you find that the Playbook just might be surprisingly good to code for because of the many different development environments that can be used for it as well as its high quality?
    And here is a risky question. Do you think the ease of programming for the playbook might make up for some of the risk involved in programming for the platform (both for you and for other major developers?

Disclosure: I am not a developer. I am only assuming the playbook is indeed easy to program for because of how hard RIM has worked to increase the coding access into the device. I would love to have an expert's real world perspective on this!
    12-21-11 10:27 PM
    Why don't you just e-mail them directly?
    Willard814, vespajet and mtx69 like this.
    12-21-11 10:36 PM
    Because I'm expecting that the first day or two of release they might be scanning our forums for feedback from us regarding their effort. Given that this is a community of enthusiasts, there may be others who share my curiosity.
    Time will tell if my assumption is flawed, or if others find it strange that I posted the question publicly.
    shupor and cl8baller like this.
    12-21-11 11:19 PM
    it would be in their interest to read our post in my opinion.
    12-22-11 03:26 AM
    I too share your curiosity...
    12-22-11 05:11 AM
    i'd like to know if rim paid them. i'm hoping it's a yes which means rim is paying other developers like skype etc.. hopefully.
    12-22-11 05:23 AM
    If RIM paid them to develop Angry Birds for the Playbook, they should charge less for the program, darn it. The basic version was free for my Android tablet.

Well, I already paid my $5. May be cheezy, but kids expect you to have Angry Birds on any handheld computing device these days...
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-22-11 06:03 AM
    i'd like to know if rim paid them. i'm hoping it's a yes which means rim is paying other developers like skype etc.. hopefully.
    i hope so too!! thats all we need now.. a few more apps but the most they need to open more the video call aspect,like get skype or make more open the way to add contats to the video chat app, make it easier for us to add people no just with bb ID, lots of people dont like to give away the bb ID, if the allow us to add people trough bbm or fb eould be great!
    12-22-11 07:26 AM
    If RIM paid them to develop Angry Birds for the Playbook, they should charge less for the program, darn it. The basic version was free for my Android tablet.

Well, I already paid my $5. May be cheezy, but kids expect you to have Angry Birds on any handheld computing device these days...
    my bad for the miss spelling but i still learning how to do it in english... i meant would be great if they allow us to add people in the video chat app using bbm or facebook!
    12-22-11 07:30 AM

Given that the ecosystem and RIM are in desperate need of name brand apps, I have no problem with the price, and/or if RIM paid them. RIM needs to do whatever is necessary to get the big name apps on the Playbook so that when someone is considering tablets that lack of the big name apps or similar apps isn't a show stopper. I would encourage all Playbook owners to buy this app since the lack of it was complained about for so long, and to show that the Playbook is a viable platform to develop for for Rovio. I'm extremely happy that we didn't have to wait for Android Player and we actually got a native app!

To all developers, go native or go home!
    12-22-11 07:39 AM
    if Rovio reads these forums, then I have a question too: Why the **** would you charge $4.00 for a game that is free on Android and much cheaper on iOS?? $4.00??????
    12-22-11 10:49 AM
    Isn't Angry Birds HD the same price in iOS?
    00stryder, CDM76, bquinney and 1 others like this.
    12-22-11 10:53 AM
    Are we really arguing about $4 here? For the amount of time you will spend playing it, how much extra is that per hour?

It is too bad that the number of PB owners necessitates a higher price per app to ensure the developer a similar profit to an app on a more popular platform. My kids and I are enjoying AB, the responsiveness is very fast and the graphics are beautiful. I hope we get many more apps like it.
    12-22-11 11:02 AM
    I would imagine that Rovio had a relationship with RIM that most devs don't, so I'm not sure how much insight we would get. Probably similar to EA.

And I'll add a +1 to the "This is a silly way of contacting a company." Even if they were monitoring CB for feedback, there's no way someone's going to start talking shop about developing. Besides, the people they pay to surf the web for hits are not the developers. In mozt places, it is interns and contract employees just gathering data, not interacting with its originators. Good luck, tho...
    12-22-11 11:06 AM
    if Rovio reads these forums, then I have a question too: Why the **** would you charge $4.00 for a game that is free on Android and much cheaper on iOS?? $4.00??????
    Are you for real?

A few bucks for a game that takes quite some time to develop, marked and sell...

I bet you use 4, 5 or 6$ easily when you go to the grocery?

Get a job!

-or sell your BB
    CDM76, lovin2act, dave1701 and 1 others like this.
    12-22-11 03:07 PM
    @californiablackberry, @TheScionicMan

Ok,it's been long enough.
    I must admit that I was a little excited at the Playbook's incremental nudge into the world of Angry Birds. It had me feeling optimistic. The idea of another successful developer taking some interest in the Playbook just felt "right", like it would lead to more, that a barrier had been lifted.
    californiablackberry saw the writing on the wall when I posted my question while I chose to "hold out" for an answer (that won't come here).
    ScionicMan added some additional experience to the mix.
    I concede that you were both correct in seeing my flawed assumption that Rovio would answer in this thread.

I have tripped, and I have learned!

Appropriately, TheScionicMan's signature sums it up perfectly- "Don't believe everything you think" !
    Peace!
    12-22-11 03:36 PM
    Given that the ecosystem and RIM are in desperate need of name brand apps, I have no problem with the price, and/or if RIM paid them. RIM needs to do whatever is necessary to get the big name apps on the Playbook so that when someone is considering tablets that lack of the big name apps or similar apps isn't a show stopper. I would encourage all Playbook owners to buy this app since the lack of it was complained about for so long, and to show that the Playbook is a viable platform to develop for for Rovio. I'm extremely happy that we didn't have to wait for Android Player and we actually got a native app!

To all developers, go native or go home!
    I didn't even know it was out. I am buying it right now!
    12-23-11 08:49 AM
    The price for these games for the playbook is just greed, (Monopoly @ $9.99) I dont see the reason why these games double in price for the playbook.
    12-23-11 08:51 AM
    The price for these games for the playbook is just greed, (Monopoly @ $9.99) I dont see the reason why these games double in price for the playbook.
    I am a little surprised by the $9.99 price for Monopoly on the PlayBook as well. I just added the iOS version on the family iPad and it was free and is actually quite fun to play. Hopefully the game developers will review their pricing strategy and make it common across platforms.
    12-23-11 08:57 AM
    I would guess that it is a much smaller market and the expected additional revenue is not there in their project. Necessitating a higher entry fee.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-23-11 08:57 AM
    it hurts to pay for an app that already free in other devices, I feel you!.....it's not about the 5 bucks anyways
    12-23-11 08:59 AM
    It's all about supply, demand and competition. If there are no worthy competitors and demand is high then the developer has leverage. These early developers are also taking a risk too on a new platform, so they may feel a higher price is justified.
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-23-11 09:24 AM
    It's all about supply, demand and competition. If there are no worthy competitors and demand is high then the developer has leverage. These early developers are also taking a risk too on a new platform, so they may feel a higher price is justified.
    Seems counterintuitive to "take a risk" and then price yourself out of the market. I'll admit though, I was ready to pull the trigger on Monopoly at $4.99, but didn't act fast enough. At the current price, I don't think it's in my future. It's not that I think it's unreasonable, I just don't think that I'll play it often enough to make it worth $10.
    12-23-11 09:30 AM
    How do you know that they are pricing themselves out of the market? A lot of these apps are in the top paid for category despite the price. That's why I added competition in there. If there is not enough people bringing the same or more value of your app for less cost, where is your incentive to drop the price?
    Last edited by TBone4eva; 12-23-11 at 10:16 AM.
    12-23-11 10:12 AM
    maybe kevin would have an easier time getting a hold if them for an answer? someone email him!
    12-23-11 10:23 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD