Rogers in Canada is telling my wife and her office not to buy playbooks because they will not be able to upgrade them to OS2. What kind of a crock is that? Anybody heard this elsewhere? Is this a Rogers thing? ... or just unbelievably poor product knowledge?
    Anywhere she can point them to enlighten them?

... no wonder rim cant sell anything with yahoos like this selling their products (unless they are right )
    11-15-11 11:58 AM
    I don't see why it wouldn't be able to be updated... that being said, pretty much every representative I've heard of tells people the PlayBook is terrible. Not sure if they're all on commission and make less money for selling it or what the deal is but it seems to be the reality.
    ACFP3 and diegonei like this.
    11-15-11 12:05 PM
    Really, just ignore them...
    Jake2826 and KermEd like this.
    11-15-11 12:06 PM
    Well you figure with the close ties between Rogers and Yahoo.ca it's sure rubbing off on em now isn't it..

LOL..

Morons and Yahoos the bunch of em..
    11-15-11 12:07 PM
    Updates to the playbook are done directly from RIM , not Rogers , So rogers has it coming out of their ears. Ignore them
    11-15-11 12:09 PM
    Of course the current PlayBook will be able to run OS 2.
    Here is an official blog post by RIM, and they don't mention anywhere that OS2 wont run on the current PlayBook. An Update on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog
    rmartyr and braindigger like this.
    11-15-11 12:17 PM
    on top of everything Rogers still has playbook priced full price.....wow Rogers wow...very funny....
    11-15-11 12:18 PM
    Until the Playbook has its own 3g/4g radio and sim card, there is no benefit to Rogers if you buy a Playbook now. If perhaps the new PlayBooks will have the 3g/4g radios, Rogers will then have an incentive to sell the new PlayBook and a disincentive to sell you a current version PlayBook.

In other words, Rogers doesn't want them buying a bunch of PlayBooks now and missing out on selling them a future PlayBook along with a data plan for each PlayBook.
    11-15-11 12:28 PM
    Until the Playbook has its own 3g/4g radio and sim card, there is no benefit to Rogers if you buy a Playbook now. If perhaps the new PlayBooks will have the 3g/4g radios, Rogers will then have an incentive to sell the new PlayBook and a disincentive to sell you a current version PlayBook.

In other words, Rogers doesn't want them buying a bunch of PlayBooks now and missing out on selling them a future PlayBook along with a data plan for each PlayBook.

ding ding ding ding, give the man a prize!!!!!!!!

11-15-11 12:38 PM
    Moral of the story, you can't trust a sales rep and you always want to do your own research before taking what they say in to consideration.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    11-15-11 12:44 PM
    you can't trust the sales rep because the sales rep doesn't trust rim. and rim doesn't trust its playbook team, while rim employee doesn't trust rim management and investors doesn't trust both ceo. and customer's doesn't trust playbook. so who's have a faith in who?
    11-15-11 04:18 PM
    You can trust me! I trust RIM...lol On a more serious note however most Sales Rep's dont know more than what the average consumer does. Its unfortunate but true.
    Now for anyone who needs a BlackBerry or any other smartphone pass by Planete Mobile in Montreal!
    It seriously is sad though that not many Sales Representitives who work in tech no info on any deviced aside from what they see in Apple commercials and regular news coverage.
    11-15-11 04:50 PM
    Rogers are either simply misinformed, or are trying to delay your purchase until they can sell you PlayBook2 4G with a 3-year contract.
    KermEd likes this.
    11-15-11 06:18 PM
    Rogers in Canada is telling my wife and her office not to buy playbooks because they will not be able to upgrade them to OS2. What kind of a crock is that? Anybody heard this elsewhere? Is this a Rogers thing? ... or just unbelievably poor product knowledge?

... no wonder rim cant sell anything with yahoos like this selling their products (unless they are right )
    It's Rogers! Nuff said! If you can, find an independent Rogers dealer. You will find knowledgeable, Professional and courteous sales staff. Personally, and this says a lot about Rogers. I have found the sales staff at Staples to be more knowledgeable. I bought my cell phone from a Rogers dealer who was fantastic and the Playbook from Staples.
    11-15-11 06:58 PM
    To the OP:
    If you are going to be getting a PB, wait until this Friday, and get one from Wal-Mart. If Rogers isn't offering any kind of sale you would be better off going there, like was said earlier, you won't be benefiting anything by getting it from Rogers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    steppinghorse likes this.
    11-15-11 07:10 PM
    Does not make sense to me. RIM has already given to developers and the brave among us a useable version of OS2 that works pretty well on this playbook.
    11-15-11 08:50 PM
    I hope its not true, but I don't see why anyone would lie about that.. Being disappointed many times I don't think it would be so farfetched if they scrapped the whole thing.. I just hope not though..
    11-15-11 10:33 PM
    RIM is notorious for lacking market presence for a reason.... (this reason - their failure to work with business partners adequately).
    11-16-11 02:59 AM
    Updates will be available over the air (via internet) once it's ready for prime time. No need to contact Rogers for it.

Those Rogers guys are idiots. They will tell you all sorts of lies to earn more commission on a different product.
    11-16-11 03:11 AM
    Generally speaking don't listen to anything any carriers have to say regarding the PlayBook. It doesn't have anything to do with them whatsoever. If you own a PlayBook and you have a Wi-Fi connection, you will be able to upgrade to OS 2.0.
    11-16-11 08:07 AM
    Being a customer with rogers for well over 10yrs, please do not believe a word they say.
    This is one company lacking in the quality department (no consistency in product or service knowledge from 1 employee to the next)
    I've had my fair share of headaches with them, with end result fairing in my favor; being able to highlight their faults 10/10 times!
    11-16-11 01:39 PM
    What's Rogers smoking? LOL.
    11-16-11 01:40 PM
    OS2 comes from RIM, the tablet is invisible to carriers

I agree, sounds like a smarty-pants rep steering you to tablets with plans.

Phone Roger's and let them know one of their reps is lying
    11-16-11 11:24 PM

Sounds like a bogus to me. I've registered my work issued Playbook for v2.0.0.3894 Developer Beta and I was able to update it no problem.

Bing Map and GPS will not work properly. It was expected as it is BETA.

I was able to side load BAR files (converted Android APKs) via WiFi..sooo cool... I'm still finding stuff on getting the Android Launcher/Player to install and work on v2.0.0.3894 Developer BETA...I'm just itching to run some Android stuff off the Playbook.
    11-17-11 12:51 AM
    Rogers is just trying to get you to buy a tablet from them, lol. Their current promo is $149.99 Galaxy Tab 10.1 with a new line of service or free with 2 new lines of service -- that was bait to open that convo up with you.
    11-17-11 04:24 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD