On a 3 year contract you pay $350 for the device and then $17 per month for 36 months if you have a shared data plan already on your smartphone.

Even if you bought it outright at $550 with no contract it would still cost you a flat $12 per month just to share the data. Therefore, the incremenatl monthly cost of ownership is really only $5 for 36 months.

That doesn't seem too bad but still begs the question; why get a 4G LTE when you already have a PB and BB Bold to use as a hotspot.
    09-13-12 02:00 AM
    It would only make sense if you did not have a BB phone and did not want to pay outrageous tether fees for data....ie 8$ per MB on Bell.....crazy.
    09-13-12 07:56 AM
    It would only make sense if you did not have a BB phone and did not want to pay outrageous tether fees for data....ie 8$ per MB on Bell.....crazy.
    If you have a 1gb or larger data plan, I thought hotspot and tether was included with Bell and Rogers. I have both carriers the hotspot works with both of them. I have not tried the tether with Bell, but it did work with Rogers prior to the Hotspot feature coming to the 9900.
    09-13-12 07:58 AM
    On the subject of shared data plans, are they available for BlackBerrys? I only see other phones and tablets in the advertisements.
    09-13-12 08:00 AM
    Does it cost money to bridge the playbook with a BB phone or is that included in the plan.....?
    09-13-12 08:02 AM
    The $30 6gb LTE BB plan they said lets you do anything within the 6Gb. I didn't try hotspot yet but bridge is working great.
    09-13-12 08:18 AM
    Better yet, look on http://toronto.kijiji.ca/ or craigslist for used/BNIB Playbook 4G/LTE. I opted for this route and picked a BNIB Playbook LTE for $330 CAD. I then went to Rogers and got a $5 Flex LTE plan (which works out to be $35 if I use upto 5GB of data) on a month to month contract.

Now I am not limited to a contract and have full LTE access everywhere. My only gripe - I cannot tether my BB to the Playbook LTE (i.e. reverse). I only wish that the Playbook LTE supported tethering or a hotspot functionality.

On another note, I also picked up an Otterbox Defender Case for my new playbook LTE for $30 CAD yesterday. Now I have an amazing device that is serving as my GPS/tablet/Phone all on a LTE network that is virtually indestructible
    Last edited by netw0lf; 09-13-12 at 09:25 AM. Reason: W
    wxmancanada likes this.
    09-13-12 09:24 AM
    On the subject of shared data plans, are they available for BlackBerrys? I only see other phones and tablets in the advertisements.
    Isn't a data plan a data plan and it if the carrier sell or support BB phones
    09-13-12 10:11 AM
    Does it cost money to bridge the playbook with a BB phone or is that included in the plan.....?
    No. You using the data plan you paid for your BB
    09-13-12 10:13 AM
    On a 3 year contract you pay $350 for the device and then $17 per month for 36 months if you have a shared data plan already on your smartphone.

Even if you bought it outright at $550 with no contract it would still cost you a flat $12 per month just to share the data. Therefore, the incremenatl monthly cost of ownership is really only $5 for 36 months.

That doesn't seem too bad but still begs the question; why get a 4G LTE when you already have a PB and BB Bold to use as a hotspot.
    If you sign up for data sharing right now with Rogers, you get a $10 discount for 10 months on the tablet line. So instead of $12, it's only $2 for the first 10 months. That being said, I have an LTE PlayBook and rarely use the cellular modem. Bridging is great the way it is. I've only fired up LTE to download a movie, or stream a high bit-rate live event a few times.

Yes, a lot of them have been scrubbed, but some still exist. You just have to ask for them.

The $30 6gb LTE BB plan they said lets you do anything within the 6Gb. I didn't try hotspot yet but bridge is working great.
    Hotspot works flawlessly with the 6GB LTE BB Plan
    Last edited by wxmancanada; 09-13-12 at 10:30 AM.
    09-13-12 10:27 AM
    You can't get the 10 month $10 off if you go on contract - that is only if you share a device.

Yes the bold 9900 hotspot feature works perfectly with the wifi PB. I have a 6GB plan too and use it all the time.

The problem with buying a used PB is I believe the Canadian warranty doesn't transfer to the new owner.
    09-13-12 11:22 AM
    You can't get the 10 month $10 off if you go on contract - that is only if you share a device.
    I have the 4G LTE PlayBook, on contract, and have the $10 discount. So yes, you can.

The problem with buying a used PB is I believe the Canadian warranty doesn't transfer to the new owner.
    I have bought used PlayBook's and pursued the warranty on 3 of them with no problem.
    09-13-12 11:32 AM
    I have the 4G LTE PlayBook, on contract, and have the $10 discount. So yes, you can.

I have bought used PlayBook's and pursued the warranty on 3 of them with no problem.
    From Rogers site: "When you activate your Tablet, Rocket mobile Hotspot or Stick on a no-term Shared Data device plan. Savings are applied as $10/month for 10 months."

Maybe you were able to negotiate a better deal but I couldn't get it due to the above policy. Perhaps there was a special incentive on when you went on contract.

http://ca.blackberry.com/content/dam...anty-na-en.pdf

The Canadian warranty states that the warranty is not transferrable and only warrants the "original" end-user. This is why I won't buy a used PB. Not sure how you got the warranty claim through on a used PB.
    Last edited by mhw100; 09-13-12 at 02:38 PM.
    09-13-12 12:01 PM
    "Yes, a lot of them have been scrubbed, but some still exist. You just have to ask for them" - when we got it mine was working fine but my wife's wouldn't. I called back and he said mine was set up as a blackberry but hers was set up as a standard smartphone by mistake, he switched the setting to BlackBerry and it started working immediately.
    09-13-12 12:17 PM
    Absolutely! I have the Rogers 6GB for 60 bucks plan on my 9900 and share it with my PB LTE and Internet Stick. Prior to that I was on a 1GB shared plan.
    The ex and our boys are on a shared plan with 3 BB's.
    09-13-12 12:37 PM
    From Rogers site: "When you activate your Tablet, Rocket mobile Hotspot or Stick on a no-term Shared Data device plan. Savings are applied as $10/month for 10 months."

Maybe you were able to negotiate a better deal but I couldn't get it due to the above policy. Perhaps there was a special incentive on when you went on contract.

http://ca.blackberry.com/content/dam...anty-na-en.pdf

The Canadian warranty states that the warranty is not transferrable and only warrants the "original" end-user. This is why I won't buy a used PB. Not sure how you got the warranty claim through on a used PB.
    I've just had a warranty claim issue and had to deal with RIM directly. This for a used PB that I had bought off craigslist. No issues whatsoever.
    wxmancanada likes this.
    09-13-12 03:02 PM
    I've just had a warranty claim issue and had to deal with RIM directly. This for a used PB that I had bought off craigslist. No issues whatsoever.
    Strange that they would do that in contravention of their stated warranty. Perhaps because there is no record of the original user like with a phone through a carrier there is no way for them to check if you are the original user without asking to see a copy of the original invoice.
    09-13-12 03:15 PM
    I just got off the phone with Rogers as I wanted to get more data for my Playbook LTE and they've just offered me a $50 plan (month to month) for 10GB of data!!!

Rogers also has a promotion going on where if you activate a new line (in my case a data plan too) available to eligible new Rogers student wireless customers who activate an eligible plan between August 9, 2012 and November 6, 2012, Roger's give $10 off for 12 months. This brings down my bill to $40 CAD a month for 10GB of data for a month to month no contract plan. (Last date to register for the Epic Student Bonuses Offer is December 6, 2012.) You can find the details on this offer here : https://www.rogerspromotions.com/stu...conditions.php and you can call your Roger's rep to get the $50 deal for 10GB.

Hope that helps. Now I can relax and enjoy streaming music/video on PB LTE wherever :P
    09-13-12 03:49 PM
    You can almost always get a $10, 12 month credit for a new line. Just picked one up for my wife.
    09-13-12 04:18 PM
    I just got off the phone with Rogers as I wanted to get more data for my Playbook LTE and they've just offered me a $50 plan (month to month) for 10GB of data!!!

Rogers also has a promotion going on where if you activate a new line (in my case a data plan too) available to eligible new Rogers student wireless customers who activate an eligible plan between August 9, 2012 and November 6, 2012, Roger's give $10 off for 12 months. This brings down my bill to $40 CAD a month for 10GB of data for a month to month no contract plan. (Last date to register for the Epic Student Bonuses Offer is December 6, 2012.) You can find the details on this offer here : https://www.rogerspromotions.com/stu...conditions.php and you can call your Roger's rep to get the $50 deal for 10GB.

Hope that helps. Now I can relax and enjoy streaming music/video on PB LTE wherever :P
    how much for voice?
    09-13-12 05:50 PM
    If you have a 1gb or larger data plan, I thought hotspot and tether was included with Bell and Rogers. I have both carriers the hotspot works with both of them. I have not tried the tether with Bell, but it did work with Rogers prior to the Hotspot feature coming to the 9900.
    I have 1gb rogers data on my 9900. Hotspot is indeed included for no addtional fees. I use this to get connection to my PB sometimes.
    09-15-12 05:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD