Anyone been through the Playbook RMA process recently ?

Our luck ran out, got new Playbook yesterday
    but it has a line of dead pixels running from the top to bottom of the screen.

Reading here about the RMA process,
    seems many just had the original unit repaired and were happy with the results,
    finding the power button was also replace with a raised version in addition to the repair.

Others requested an advanced RMA
    and received a replacement before sending the defective one back,
    but the exchanged unit sounds like a refurb without original box, used battery, etc.

Any suggestions, comments ?
    02-04-12 07:00 AM
    If your Playbook is new, they send you a new Playbook with the express exchange. It just comes in a specialized box, PlayBook only. You put your Playbook in that box and using the return waybill included send it back to RIM. It is a quick and painless process, taking only a day or two. They will require a credit card as security against any scams.

I had the same problem with the line of dead pixels. The process was quick and painless. In my case, it was September and before the sales. The dealer knew there was a line of dead pixels and gave me a good discount with the knowledge I would have to deal with RIM to get it replaced. I think I got it on a Thursday, new Playbook arrived Monday and my son used the one with the line of pixels over the weekend until the new one arrived. A backup and restore using desktop manager got everything moved over to the new Playbook.
    02-04-12 08:44 AM
    i got a replacement first prior to sending mine in, i thought RIM sent me a refurbed one as well but it seems new to me, battery guru after a week of owning it said its only cycle charged 4x and the battery life is at 95% so that is pretty much like new.

my original serial # was in the 1344, and my replacement was a 1343

my playbook had major touchscreen issues, where i did not want to have them try to fix it, better just to start from a separate unit altogether.
    02-04-12 05:41 PM
    Unlike the two posters above, my and my friend's experience has been different. I had problems with my first two PBs and called the 90day service. They told me that the advance RMA exchange would be a refurb. Confirmed this with a few other reps and decides it was not worth it and returned to the store.

My friend chose advance RMA. The turnaround was superfast. But he did get a refurb that looked very much like new. With all the plastic and such. But he had 9 recharge cycles on his battery. He called and confirmed it was a refurb.

So call and ask them before you decide. They will most probably tell you it'll be a refurb.
    02-04-12 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD