07-03-12 12:04 PM
101 1234 ...
tools
    As F2 said. If it does what you want now it will do what you want if they closed their doors today.
    06-30-12 09:47 AM
    nope. go ahead the pull the trigger.

Sent from my sexy 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-30-12 10:18 AM
    Its a great bit of kit and i use it daily for making notes with customers, etc. Like others have said, its a little small for editing documents, but docs to go will open quite complex excel spreadsheets (better than smart office 2) and smart office has a great pdf reader.

Take a chance and buy one, its a bargain and if you can find the keyboard that will allow you to make the most of the screen.

Best 200 quid Ive spent in yonks
    06-30-12 10:31 AM
    No regrets buying the Playbook. Still a great user experience, even better paired with BB phone. Without any addititional expense, I have:

- flash/HTML5 browser
    - access online apps (google docs)
    - access computer (logmein)
    - keyboard/mouse (with Bridge on phone)
    - HMDI out to do presentations
    - phone used as remote
    - play variety of good games
    - video chat with other Playbooks
    - offline maps/GPS
    - read Zinio magazines
    - view podcasts
    - bridge/wifi hotspot free to phone
    - videos and music play
    - download/unzip/rearrange files
    - portable in my pocket
    - emulate DosBox
    - get my email
    - print from my computer to the Playbook (print to go)
    ... and much more!

If you need Skype, Netflix, or Kindle then spend $199 for the Google Nexus 7.

Otherwise, if you have a BB phone and do presentations, the Playbook has HDMI out. With Google Nexus you have more limited storage options, only 1 camera... but you get the latest Android OS and all the big apps from Google Play/Android including those above.

Pick wisely!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Last edited by edyb; 06-30-12 at 12:58 PM.
    06-30-12 12:51 PM
    "Is it Risky to Purchase a Playbook Given the Problems that RIM is having?"

In a nutshell...No.
    If you like it then you have a good tablet that meets your needs for a fraction of the cost of some other tablets.
    If you don't like it, return it. Many stores have a short term return policy of 14-30 days for a refund.
    RIM services aren't going to vanish. To many, including governments, rely on their systems and services.

Absolutely no risk.
    06-30-12 01:02 PM
    Ok

I might use it for a game or two

As for attachements via the iPad, I am job hunting and cannot attach a resume to any of my emails or even from within a company website.

I dont use Netflix now but do access HBO GO and a few other sites. My main use for it will be web browsing, reading mags and such plus using it for work i.e. writing, note taking, creating presentations, etc.
    06-30-12 01:03 PM
    No real risk in buying a PlayBook. Worst possible case scenario - RIM shuts down and is no longer around to update the PlayBook. Well as it stands right now the PlayBook is a pretty useful product. So it would be just like the Touch Pad. No one is around to support it, but the TP is still a useful device.

I say go for it.
    06-30-12 01:03 PM
    You have an iPad 2 and you want a play book!!!
    I just bought an iPad 2 because the PB is underwhelming in terms of apps and the browser is horrible after having and using the iPad 2 for 10 days...PB has its advantages but I'm fed up with its limitations and the lack of quality apps for it...

Madness...
    06-30-12 01:10 PM
    I'm sorry but the state rim is in at the moment how can anyone say it isn't a risk buying one. Yes for the money it is a good device but with and support or decent app support either what is the point ????
    06-30-12 01:31 PM
    I'm sorry but the state rim is in at the moment how can anyone say it isn't a risk buying one. Yes for the money it is a good device but with and support or decent app support either what is the point ????
    If RIM closed the doors on everything today, the Playbook would still work as it is and in my case it would likely meet my tablet needs for the next few years.
    Harryl6134 and Vorkosigan like this.
    06-30-12 01:51 PM
    so the state of RIM has deteriorated after i purchased my Playbook, are you telling me my Playbook has deteriorated after my purchase of it because RIM missed their earnings? can it get any sillier here, geez
    06-30-12 01:57 PM
    Ok

I might use it for a game or two

As for attachements via the iPad, I am job hunting and cannot attach a resume to any of my emails or even from within a company website.

I dont use Netflix now but do access HBO GO and a few other sites. My main use for it will be web browsing, reading mags and such plus using it for work i.e. writing, note taking, creating presentations, etc.
    I got mine for so cheap that if it comes a time that it doesn't suit my needs, I will get something else. I do wish it ran Netflix, and I wish it ran Pulse through a method other than sideloading so that I could update it easier (one of the main apps I use a tablet for). I wish it had a better podcast player, and wish there were more internet radio applications available for it. But it's been a pretty solid device overall. I have to admit I am tempted to try out the Nexus 7 though. The data space is the only downside as it running Android would solve my other issues.
    06-30-12 02:09 PM
    so the state of RIM has deteriorated after i purchased my Playbook, are you telling me my Playbook has deteriorated after my purchase of it because RIM missed their earnings? can it get any sillier here, geez
    I think the point people are making is there are still very holes in the OS and stock apps, and a lack of apps. The way things are looking, that situation may not get better and could very likely get worse. That's not a big deal when the Playbook was the only $199 option out there. But as more options become available, it might make the other options more worth looking into. So if you aren't happy with how the Playbook is right NOW, then you might want to avoid it. If you think it suits your needs fine now, then you might be happy with it for awhile.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 06-30-12 at 02:14 PM.
    06-30-12 02:11 PM
    "Is it Risky to Purchase a Playbook Given the Problems that RIM is having? "

this is the question, no the RIM situation has diddly squat to do with your Playbook purchase.

if you want to ask whether the Playbook is any good for your purposes, just ask that question, but don't try to be cute and muddle up your question with RIM's recent earnings report, two totally separate things
    06-30-12 02:22 PM
    If you will purchase PlayBook as of now, yes, you are definitely taking the risk... no matter how small the risk is, it is still a risk... there are only risks that are tolerable and acceptable, that is why others are no longer treat them as a risk... like losing US$150 for a tablet that is still usable for, probably, 2 to 3 years from now... until the the hardware worn-out... in case software support was discontinued...
    06-30-12 02:22 PM
    If you will purchase PlayBook as of now, yes, you are definitely taking the risk... no matter how small the risk is, it is still a risk... there are only risks that are tolerable and acceptable, that is why others are no longer treat them as a risk... like losing US$150 for a tablet that is still usable for, probably, 2 to 3 years from now... until the the hardware worn-out... in case software support was discontinued...
    come on now they still have something like 2 bln cash, they lost money for the first time in a gazillion quarters and now life is over for RIM? get a grip people...
    06-30-12 02:28 PM
    You have an iPad 2 and you want a play book!!!
    I just bought an iPad 2 because the PB is underwhelming in terms of apps and the browser is horrible after having and using the iPad 2 for 10 days...PB has its advantages but I'm fed up with its limitations and the lack of quality apps for it...

Madness...
    My wife is a doctor and and the iPad is hers. She uses it for 90% work and 10% Facebook (go figure)
    06-30-12 02:38 PM
    "Is it Risky to Purchase a Playbook Given the Problems that RIM is having? "

this is the question, no the RIM situation has diddly squat to do with your Playbook purchase.

if you want to ask whether the Playbook is any good for your purposes, just ask that question, but don't try to be cute and muddle up your question with RIM's recent earnings report, two totally separate things
    I cant see how the company that makes the product I am considering buying, a company that might not be here in 12 months, is irrelevant to my decision as to whether or not to purchase one of their products
    06-30-12 02:40 PM
    come on now they still have something like 2 bln cash, they lost money for the first time in a gazillion quarters and now life is over for RIM? get a grip people...
    This is not their first quarter in red. Last quarter they also had a net loss.

They do have the 2 bln in cash, but their net loss was 0.5 billion last quarter and will most probably be even worse in subsequent quarters. They will start burning cash like crazy, especially given they will have to spend it to get BB10 out of the door.

So by the time they are ready to release BB10, they will most probably have little to no cash and their fate will entirely depend on a miracle (which is BB10 being a huge success and making huge margins).

Edit: Yes, cash is king, but it's not the only metric to assess a company's health. Other things (other assets, liabilities, future prospects, goodwill, reputation, etc.) also matter. Just look at how their market cap has been sinking and you'll get an idea of how bad it is.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-30-12 at 02:57 PM.
    06-30-12 02:49 PM
    For individual person, or let say small corporate to a middle corporate, that US$2B in cash is still considerable huge... but for a company like RIM, that amount maybe a borderline for them to be in deep trouble... it is like a US$2K, for me, it is quite amount that I can live for a month or two... but for rich people, that is only a rate of 5-star hotel per day... they cannot even live for a week with that amount... it is a ratio proportion thing...
    06-30-12 02:58 PM
    I cant see how the company that makes the product I am considering buying, a company that might not be here in 12 months, is irrelevant to my decision as to whether or not to purchase one of their products
    I can you your philosophical point. As I have noted, warranty could be an issue. Appworld could be an issue and I will add, that unless a "defunct" rim offers a way to reload the os from a pc (the debrick and initialization process requires rim's servers at this time), the OS reload could be a problem.

But barring any difficulties, the pb (if unattached to a bb phone and bis/bes) is an independent device. It would be like a transistor radio or tv. If it works and does not need fixing, it will continue and does not need rim. It will continue to get wifi and whatever you can capture using wifi. If you have games, business apps, pdf-readers, etc, they all function without rim. It is like tuning to Channel 4 on a Sony tv. It does not continue to need Sony.

But alas, it is hard to separate that reality from rim's trouble for many.

So, yes, there is some kind of risk but the consequences vary.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-30-12 03:23 PM
    RIM will be there in 12 months healthy or wounded, in five years? depends on BB10, but in 12 months will be there absolutely, repeat again 2 bln in cash, lots of profitable business parts still around, the time you have to wonder will RIM be there in 12 months is after RIM has borrowed 2 bln to finance the introduction of BB10 and BB10 turns out to be a dud, that is still a long way off............
    06-30-12 04:08 PM
    The latest financial report from RIM is not a good one. With a loss of approximately 30% in sales, the question that begs to be answered is...

How risky is it to purchase a Playbook that may not have a company supporting it one year from now?

I have been researching tablets and the Playbook by far has received the most accolades of any tablet excluding the iPad. That being said, I decided that the Playbook is the device that best suits my business and personal needs. From its seamless document integration and powerful business tools to "the best" tablet browser on the market, IMHO- this is the best overall value in the tablet market today.

But what is the real value of the device if a year from now RIM files bankruptcy protection and us users don't have anywhere to turn for support or a company backing its product?

I would love to hear thoughts and comments from the community on this issue before i go out and purchase one

Peace,

Slider
    It depends on your financial situation but for $200 dollars does it really matter?
    06-30-12 04:15 PM
    My wife is a doctor and and the iPad is hers. She uses it for 90% work and 10% Facebook (go figure)
    My Dr's office uses iPad's as well. There is some medical software that is Mac only I guess they they use. They have always had Mac's, they even had the eMac's when they came out. So when iPad's came around, they switched to those.
    06-30-12 04:16 PM
    The internet aint disappearin. So even if rim disappears. The playbook gives a great internet experience reducing the needs for many apps that the others must to compensate for their lack of good browsers. I have my playbook so jacked now that if I didn't add one more game it will still do what I need for many years to come

And damn buy a playbook we need your money. Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Sounds good on paper, but when the internet updates and the PlayBook doesn't, you're SOL..
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    06-30-12 04:58 PM
101 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD