My PB is dead, but not buried... *yet. Although it led a pampered life, it did not make it to it's third anniversary. It is survived by an owner who had excitedly bought it a week or two after the PB was launched, and who hung in there even when he came to realize that OS 1 was pretty pathetic. He observed first hand the pleas for help and advice from people who wanted to be BB fans, but who, instead, were ignored, or fed BS. My PB is also survived by his cousin, the remarkable Q10.*

Said owner suffered through it all--wanting to believe--and eventually came to love the capabilities of his PB once it had a decent OS... *even though the promise of OS10 evaporated. So he settled down, he thought, into a long-term relationship, only to experience a sudden problem.

The touchscreen became unresponsive, so my PB wouldn't wake up. A hard reboot seemed to work, but when the home screen came up, the touchscreen was still dead. When another hard reboot was tried, the LED would only blink a red farewell message: 010111010. That is, "pause flash pause flash flash flash pause flash pause". The technical meaning was: NAND failure.*I opened the case to measure the battery voltage (in desperate hope), but the multimeter said 3.78 V. So the problem is that the flash memory has cratered.

I am wondering if the NAND flash memory can be replaced to effect a resurrection, or is interment my only option?*

Thanks for any post-mortem help. (Or expressions of sympathy!)
    Carl Estes, dazzleaj and Celandine like this.
    01-31-14 02:04 PM
    My condolences
    01-31-14 02:10 PM
    <Lowers his PlayBook's Screen brightness to >
    01-31-14 02:10 PM
    I'm not sure if you've explored all the possible un-nuke process ... have you ?
    You may have a look here : Factory reset for the BlackBerry PlayBook also fixes bricked devices | CrackBerry.com

(and don't feel offended if you believe this is trivial, please )
    fastartcee and dazzleaj like this.
    01-31-14 02:14 PM
    Give it a beer and give it time

Posted from Blackberry Q5 via CB10
    dazzleaj and fastartcee like this.
    01-31-14 02:23 PM
    You may have a look here : Factory reset for the BlackBerry PlayBook also fixes bricked devices | CrackBerry.com

I could never be offended at any honest effort to help. THANKS!
    01-31-14 02:59 PM
    Buy another one.
    01-31-14 03:04 PM
    I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can figure something out. I like the beer idea, I think it'll help.
    01-31-14 03:04 PM
    My heart felt condolences for the PB. My 2 PB are still going strong. But you stated that you suspect that the Flash memory has folded up. That is why I am a firm believer of wiping and doing a complete reload of the OS every year. Flash Memory can become fragmented. I suspect that the sideloading also tends to speed up the process......

Did some reading and there are some articles that do seem to show that Flash can/does become fragmented. I'm not saying that was the cause of your loss, but maybe someone else may benifit from this.

Again, sorry for the loss of your "electronic companion"....

c
    01-31-14 03:11 PM
    And trust me on this......Carl knows all about being fragmented
    01-31-14 04:26 PM

Superfly_FR

I tried it, but couldn't get the error message 'Desktop Software cannot connect...'. So I couldn't even try the rest of the factory reset procedure.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!
    dazzleaj likes this.
    01-31-14 06:32 PM
    Superfly_FR

I tried it, but couldn't get the error message 'Desktop Software cannot connect...'. So I couldn't even try the rest of the factory reset procedure.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!
    Hum... was your PB detected under Windows ? Bc if your PB is messed hard, you should get this message. While plugged and desktop started, try to power it down holding the power button then restart it...
    Sorry I'm out of office (1AM here) so I don't have my pb around nor much time to search in the Playbook section...

Edit: I just remind that the Playbook can be handled using Link, that will probably be more efficient now for restoring the OS, installing the drivers and so on...

If you don't have it already, you should find it here : https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...0E31AF7485EE07
    01-31-14 07:09 PM
    Superfly_FR,
    No USB recognition at all on my Win8 laptop. It was like having, well, a brick attached by USB cable. I tried powering up the PB while attached, but it made no difference. It appears the flash memory is kaput. Oh well...
    01-31-14 09:24 PM
    Something is afoot. One of my PBs just died this way...

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    01-31-14 09:40 PM
    I was thinking the same thing!
    01-31-14 09:46 PM
    If it's any (infintismally small) consolation, the NAND on my Acer Iconia Tablet failed in under a year. Sorry for your loss--it's very frustrating.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    02-01-14 01:29 AM
    Superfly_FR,
    No USB recognition at all on my Win8 laptop. It was like having, well, a brick attached by USB cable. I tried powering up the PB while attached, but it made no difference. It appears the flash memory is kaput. Oh well...
    Don't give up the fight !
    1/ be sure to use an USB2 port (not USB3)
    2/ be sure you use BlackBerry usb genuine cable
    3/try to delete anything related to the Playbook in the computer peripherals management and (re)install link.

Never heard that BlackBerry is like cats ?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 03:29 AM
    Well, Superfly_FR, I tried it all: cleared out all BB stuff from my laptop, installed Link, used the correct USB cable, used USB2 port... but no luck connecting. Nothing comes up in Link (or Desktop Software), no error message, no nothin'!

Thanks a bunch for trying to help, but it's the end of the road. Maybe I'll hire a New Orleans tailgate jazz band for the walk to the interment site.

I think I'm going to jump ship, and pick up the latest Nexus 7.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    02-01-14 04:37 PM
    Well, Superfly_FR, I tried it all: cleared out all BB stuff from my laptop, installed Link, used the correct USB cable, used USB2 port... but no luck connecting. Nothing comes up in Link (or Desktop Software), no error message, no nothin'!

Thanks a bunch for trying to help, but it's the end of the road. Maybe I'll hire a New Orleans tailgate jazz band for the walk to the interment site.

I think I'm going to jump ship, and pick up the latest Nexus 7.
    That's so weird... at least it should be recognized as usb drive or "unknown device" (is there such "unknown device" in your peripherals, with an exclamation mark ? If yes remove it...

I'm a stubborn guy, I know....

Posted via CB10
    dazzleaj likes this.
    02-01-14 05:40 PM
    My deepest sympathy on your loss. It is too bad you can't find replacement parts and revive him/her. Never heard about it being done.
    02-01-14 11:56 PM