What is RIM's strategy for Tablets in the future, does anyone know? Continue/continue? Keep on selling PB at a loss? Does anyone know?

I ask because Google just announced its Nexus 7 at $199 for the 16 GB ad $249 for the 32 GB, essentially the same price as the playbook. The 32 GB HSPA+ mobile is $299.

I LOVE my PB, but I am just curious/a bit tempted...
    10-29-12 09:39 PM
    How about focusing on corporate users where security is important and competition from $35 Chinese or Indian tablets isn't a concern? This market isn't visible to stock touts, couch potatoes, or pavement sleepers waiting to buy the next iThing before it's even announced. But it is visible to RIM and its potential clients like:

McCain Canada deployed BlackBerry PlayBook tablets with a custom application to their salesforce | Wc - InfoWorld
    Finextra: RBS to offer institutional clients PlayBook tablet app

OANDA Launches Mobile Currency Converter Application for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet
    OANDA Launches Mobile Currency Converter Application for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet | OANDA

The National Australia Bank (NAB) has revealed that it is currently building apps specifically for Research In Motion (RIM)'s new BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, while voicing ongoing concerns over the security of Android-based banking.
    NAB developing PlayBook-specific apps | ZDNet
    morganplus8 and AT_Nepal like this.
    10-29-12 10:23 PM
    Yes Nexus is cool tablet. 32GB is good and the price is right $259. i would not worry. Google is after Apple. Not BB small fish. $299 with HSPA+ is awesome price.
    AT_Nepal likes this.
    10-29-12 10:35 PM
    It doesn't have to be about price apple showed that. RIM could still be selling PlayBooks at original retail if they put resources behind it instead of empty promises. Love my PlayBook but it is what it is. Failure of PlayBook is a direct result of leadership at RIM failing to act as far back as 2008.
    Appears there will be RIM tablets in the world just smaller numbers based on 32g 4g.
    10-30-12 05:00 AM
    RIM could still sell next-gen PlayBook or even the current one with this strategy:
    - Make BB10 so smooth and has the best user experience
    - Get the big name developer into the App World. Quality over quantity.
    - Sell it at reasonable price but keeps the premium feel of it
    - Promotional campaign and marketing

As RIM said, they aren't not in spec war. So we can assume that they will focus more on user experience.
    Imagine the fluid, candy-eye, and simple interface, but also still left room for people to tinker or customize it.
    bitek likes this.
    10-30-12 07:41 AM
    it all depends on bb10. the phones must do well and then they will come out with redesigned version of playbook. lower cost at lower price. the more people like phones the more they will look into tablets. i am sure rim can sell more of them and it does not compete with android tablets. it is obvious that $99 android tablet will not have quality of ipad or playbook.
    10-30-12 07:54 AM
    All I can say is that it's weird that this thread started out talking about competing with a $200 Google tablet, and quickly changed to "RIM doesn't need to compete with $35 Chinese tablets".

Seems that people do consider the Google nexus as a strong competitor for future RIM tablets.
    10-30-12 08:01 AM
    BB10, as RIM assured, must be an awesome user's experience... roll it out to our PB, then it can compete with current leading tablets...

RIM is not in spec war, same with "i" devices... but "i" devices competes not only with user's experience but the "usefulness" of their devices through its hundred to thousand applications and games - that is why they are maintaining their status quo... "UI" is just only a short term "WOW" factor... once you get used of that, people will get bored and will always end up in "usefulness" - which is the long term factor... our PlayBook is a good example of that short term "WOW" factor... and "i" devices are good examples of long term factor i.e. getting bored of the same UI (with probably little improvement) but maintain its "usefulness"... I believe RIM should focus on two aspects i.e. "WOW" and "usefulness" factors to stay relevant and be competitive...
    10-30-12 09:39 AM
    All I can say is that it's weird that this thread started out talking about competing with a $200 Google tablet, and quickly changed to "RIM doesn't need to compete with $35 Chinese tablets".

Seems that people do consider the Google nexus as a strong competitor for future RIM tablets.
    It's because folks lost their way due to the fact that the pb does not have aGPS!
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    10-30-12 09:48 AM
    It doesn't have to be about price apple showed that. RIM could still be selling PlayBooks at original retail if they put resources behind it instead of empty promises. Love my PlayBook but it is what it is. Failure of PlayBook is a direct result of leadership at RIM failing to act as far back as 2008.
    Appears there will be RIM tablets in the world just smaller numbers based on 32g 4g.
    if new phones sell well, so will tablets. at least in comparison to current tablet sales. playbook as of now is excellent tablet with great os and respectable # of apps. it just can get better. but again it all depends on bb10 and sales

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    10-30-12 09:56 AM
    It's because folks lost their way due to the fact that the pb does not have aGPS!
    The Playbook doesn't have Apple Maps either. You win some, you lose some.
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    10-30-12 10:54 AM
    The Playbook doesn't have Apple Maps either. You win some, you lose some.
    Yes, or even you lose your job!
    10-30-12 11:18 AM
    I think RIM should primarily now focus on getting BB10 out as soon as possible and getting it out right.. And then they should put it on the PB to demonstrate what the PB can do before bringing around new hardware. The hardware is just fine.. The software isn't. It needs to be fixed. Hope BB10 will do it right.. Otherwise, RIM will face a storm bigger than Sandy next year...
    10-30-12 11:30 AM
    I tried the Nexus 7 but had to send it back, its QC was horrendous! I had severe light bleed from the upper and lower horizontals and image ghosting and shadowing when I changed from one page to the next. A colleague of mine was worse off, he had the same issues plus missing or un-tightened screws and a screen that was so poorly installed it sat proud by almost half an inch at one end. Apparently we weren't the only ones.

If Asus can get its arse into gear QC wise then it might be an OK tablet, but it's nothing special.
    10-30-12 11:33 AM
    For having aGPS, a device needed to have cellular connectivity. That being said, I believe PlayBook 4G has aGPS. But not on WiFi version.
    CMIIW
    10-30-12 11:47 AM
    They can't make it selling them at a loss and they can't sell them asking as much or more than an iPad. There has to be a sweet spot somewhere in between.
    10-30-12 11:56 AM
    How about focusing on corporate users where security is important and competition from $35 Chinese or Indian tablets isn't a concern? This market isn't visible to stock touts, couch potatoes, or pavement sleepers waiting to buy the next iThing before it's even announced. But it is visible to RIM and its potential clients like:

McCain Canada deployed BlackBerry PlayBook tablets with a custom application to their salesforce | Wc - InfoWorld

OANDA Launches Mobile Currency Converter Application for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet
    OANDA Launches Mobile Currency Converter Application for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet | OANDA

The National Australia Bank (NAB) has revealed that it is currently building apps specifically for Research In Motion (RIM)'s new BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, while voicing ongoing concerns over the security of Android-based banking.
    just to be clear: 3 of these links are dated up to as recently as June 2011, the other is sponsored by RIM (and likely from the same era).
    10-30-12 03:58 PM
    I just read an article on Engadget that Nexus 10 is coming on November 13th. $399 for the 16GB, $499 for the 32GB....specs are strong for this tablet. Not sure what this means for the Playbook or any other tablet, just putting the information out there.
    10-30-12 04:14 PM

I own a 32Gb PB and sincerely hope the Playbook flourishes and stays.

I hoped that those links might offer some hope for the PB future, but they are dated mid 2011 and it is now almost 2013.
    10-30-12 04:20 PM
    They can't make it selling them at a loss and they can't sell them asking as much or more than an iPad. There has to be a sweet spot somewhere in between.
    It's a bit like when Apple only had the expensive Macintosh. They were up against IBM and a host of other lower cost PCs running MSDOS & Windows. Yet somehow they survived and flourished. It would be great if RIM could do that. But they need someone to lead them there.
    10-30-12 04:24 PM
    I just read an article on Engadget that Nexus 10 is coming on November 13th. $399 for the 16GB, $499 for the 32GB....specs are strong for this tablet. Not sure what this means for the Playbook or any other tablet, just putting the information out there.
    probably not much since that is a 10 and much more expensive tablet. I would be more worried about the $250 nexus 7 or the $300 cellular version. the nexus 10 is quite a tablet and has great capabilities but it comes at an ipad price level too almost.
    10-30-12 04:26 PM