An interesting article from BB Cool I saw on N4BB. RIM is finally using some competitors tactics, FINALLY! What do you think?

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2012/0...s-kindle-fire/
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-15-12 at 09:14 PM.
    08-15-12 08:05 PM
    Although the processor is updated in the 4G/LTE version, it's kinda sad that the original Playbook still trumps the other tablets on this card in many areas. Though, that's exactly what RIM wants its distributors and potential buyers to think anyway.
    axeman1000, cutexoxo and Neely2005 like this.
    08-15-12 08:59 PM
    This is a little too bias, especially if specs (HDMI, Docs to Go, Balance) are repeated just to get more green checks, which make it looks ridiculous.
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-15-12 09:56 PM
    Very nice. It's crazy how this is basically a year old tablet all except the bump to 1.5 and it still has better specs than most of what's out recently.
    08-15-12 11:56 PM
    Brings tears to my eyes!! I'm going to love the look on all non-bb ppl when the OS10 comes out!

The PlayBook is so amazing.. I take screenshots of stuff because I never wanna forget how amazing the design, layout and concept is..
    BB_Bmore and madman0141 like this.
    08-16-12 12:36 AM
    The battle card says LTE PB has NFC capability. This is the first place I have seen it.

Can that be a mistake?
    08-16-12 12:08 PM
    The battle card says LTE PB has NFC capability. This is the first place I have seen it.

Can that be a mistake?
    No, I think it actually does have NFC built in. Another new feature added that the WIFI-only version didn't have.

Should open a lot of opportunities for Bridge functionality with a BB handset equipped with NFC as well!
    08-16-12 05:13 PM
    No, I think it actually does have NFC built in. Another new feature added that the WIFI-only version didn't have.

Should open a lot of opportunities for Bridge functionality with a BB handset equipped with NFC as well!
    You don't mean bridge over NFC, do you? Because that would just be silly.
    08-16-12 05:41 PM
    If it is ture that the new PlayBook has NFC, that opens up for many cool use cases.

A simple example is to tap your PlayBook to bridge your BB with it, and tap it again to disconnect.

Hopefully it supports all NFC modes (Read/write, P2P, and Emulation).
    08-16-12 06:43 PM
    Well if these are the real numbers I want to see how the unbiased media spins this.
    08-16-12 07:00 PM
    You don't mean bridge over NFC, do you? Because that would just be silly.
    No, that would be terrible. And, I'm pretty sure you can't keep a continuous connection with NFC. Kinda a "one and done" deal from what I've read about it.

If it is ture that the new PlayBook has NFC, that opens up for many cool use cases.

A simple example is to tap your PlayBook to bridge your BB with it, and tap it again to disconnect.

Hopefully it supports all NFC modes (Read/write, P2P, and Emulation).
    This. Basically you could use apps (or native functions, if they're baked in) to set your PlayBook and phone to activate their Bluetooth radios and then attempt a connection to one another solely by touching the two together, thus saving battery life.

Or, since RIM is going to be offering Bridge over Wifi with 2.1, a similar effect with the Wifi antenna would achieve the same result.
    08-16-12 09:55 PM
    Lol! It might have worked, if RIM hasn't ruined the 4G Playbooks chances by...

A: Lowering the price of the old PB to $199, thereby branding the Playbook as a cheap and unsuccessful alternative to the Kindle Fire and Walmarts $169 Chinese Android clunkers.

And...

B: Making such a public and spectacular failure of the Playbook launch, that a year and a half after it came out its probably best known as "that tablet that launched without email" in the eyes of the buying public.

Sorry, but RIM has poisoned the well here, and the Playbook name is too tainted for anyone but the most hardcore of BB fans to consider for even a second to spend 400-500$ on what is basically last years hardware with a speedbump and an LTE radio.

If anything, they should have killed the Playbook name, put some cutting edge hardware in it (or just newish hw, really), and release it together with the BB10 phones sometime next year.
    08-17-12 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD