RIM's PlayBook Tablet Will Falter: 10 Reasons Why - IT Infrastructure from eWeek

RIM is officially in the tablet business. The company�s PlayBook tablet is designed to take on Apple�s iPad and the growing number of other competitors that are trying to capitalize on customer interest in slates. RIM�s PlayBook boasts a 7-inch display, Wi-Fi connectivity, and a dual-core processor. According to the company, it will start selling the device early next year.

But whether or not the RIM PlayBook will be able to stand up against Apple�s iPad and the other competition is an entirely different question. The device might seem like a winner at first, but further inspection reveals that it might not have what it takes. And over time, it�s entirely possible that the tablet will falter as both consumers and enterprise customers find more viable options elsewhere. Here are 10 reasons why the RIM PlayBook will falter

1. The screen size

RIM�s decision to offer a 7-inch display in its PlayBook is a suspect one. Consumers are happy with the size of the iPad�s 9.7-inch display, and that likely won�t change anytime soon. When comparing the iPad to the PlayBook, folks might realize that, for productivity and entertainment purposes, the larger display is more viable. And that will only hurt the PlayBook�s sales.

2. Is it for consumers or the enterprise?

RIM didn�t make an obvious case for whether the PlayBook is designed for the corporate world or consumers. Although the company said that the PlayBook is for corporate users, it also showed how it handles pictures and allows users to enjoy entertainment�two things that most companies don�t want their employees to engage in during the workday. Going forward, RIM needs to fully determine which market it wants to exploit and focus all of its efforts there�or else.

3. The marketing needs to be fixed

RIM�s introductory video to the PlayBook, which shows how the tablet works, just doesn�t explain to the average customer why they should want this device over another. It starts out with consumer-focused features and ends with enterprise-focused features. That alone is enough to confuse folks. But the video also failed to capture the real functionality of the device. Unless RIM finds a way to improve its marketing for the PlayBook, it�s hard to see how the device will be successful.

4. Where�s the 3G?

RIM said that its tablet won�t feature 3G at first, but it plans to bring that functionality to the device at a later time. What a mistake. If RIM really wants to target corporate customers, having 3G connectivity is a necessity. And by not offering it out of the gate, it�s leaving one of the main selling points out of the device. RIM needs to rethink its 3G strategy. If it doesn�t, its tablet could be doomed before it even hits store shelves.

5. The unproven track record

RIM is a wildly successful smartphone company. But when it comes to delivering an experience that customers really want, the company has been falling short as of late. In fact, its Storm2 smartphone is arguably one of the worst touch-screen-based devices on the market from a major company. RIM has a lot to prove with its PlayBook. And if that device doesn�t deliver, potential buyers will be quick to pass it by.

6. Browsing plays a role

RIM�s browsers have been abysmal over the years. As most folks that own BlackBerry devices know, trying to surf through a Web page on the company�s smartphones is far more difficult than it should be. RIM has promised that the browsing experience on the PlayBook will be much better, but that assurance won�t be enough. The PlayBook needs to be the standard by which all other tablet browsers are judged. That�s simply the only way that customers will be happy with RIM�s offering.

7. It�s all about apps

Customers want applications in their tablets. They want to be able to take a product and extend its functionality with programs created by third-parties. That could be a problem for RIM, since the company has had a somewhat contentious relationship with developers over the past couple years. RIM needs to bring a slew of apps to its tablet. If it doesn�t, or if it comes down too hard on developers, its tablet might not be around for long.

8. The timing is off

RIM has made a mistake by planning to release its tablet at the beginning of 2011. Not only does it give competing devices time to capitalize on the holiday shopping season, but it also puts RIM�s tablet in the danger zone of being overlooked due to a new iPad. Most believe that Apple will release a new version of its iPad sometime before the middle of next year. And Steve Jobs will likely announce it weeks before that. If that happens too closely to the PlayBook�s launch, RIM�s tablet could see its sales stunted by growing desire for Apple�s offering.

9. The Cisco Cius looms

If RIM decides that the enterprise really is the market that it needs to capitalize on, the company will find a major competitor already there: the Cisco Cius. Announced earlier this year, the Cius will run Android OS and integrate with existing Cisco infrastructure. It was the first corporate-focused tablet announced and it will likely be available in early 2011. And by the looks of things, it has some real promise. RIM will have to contend with that competitor.

10. The iPad is still here

Let�s not forget that the iPad is still on store shelves and it�s the device that the vast majority of tablet customers seem to want. Realizing that, it�s likely that most folks will still opt for Apple�s device as memories of the PlayBook fade through the holiday shopping season. The iPad gets the most attention and it�s already available. That simply doesn�t bode well for RIM or any of its other competitors that are trying desperately to capitalize on the market Apple has carved out.
    09-29-10 04:35 AM
    I seriously disagree with everything you have stated. I would suggest doing a little more research into this product. I think you will find that your reasoning is flawed. The PlayBook is going to be big. Guaranteed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 04:57 AM
    Same Drivel as last time.

basically he could have just said, "Will fail cause it isn't apple" "Will fail cause it isn't Android"

and be done with it.

RIM is doing OS9 to OSX here with this tablet, in Mac Speak, and yet he's reviewing assuming it is OS9 still.
    09-29-10 04:58 AM
    I seriously disagree with everything you have stated. I would suggest doing a little more research into this product. I think you will find that your reasoning is flawed. The PlayBook is going to be big. Guaranteed.

Actually, I just read the article and posted it for discussion.
    09-29-10 05:22 AM
    Same Drivel as last time.

basically he could have just said, "Will fail cause it isn't apple" "Will fail cause it isn't Android"

and be done with it.

RIM is doing OS9 to OSX here with this tablet, in Mac Speak, and yet he's reviewing assuming it is OS9 still.
    I personally would only say that if this tablet was released with OS6. Which proves (to me anyway) what I've been saying all along, that OS6 is a colossal failure.

Although I need to see a little more than the promo video, this tablet looks quite nice!
    Last edited by 67Tucker; 09-29-10 at 05:34 AM.
    09-29-10 05:28 AM
    The only thing I really agree with is the size issue. Not only is the screen smaller but the large bezel around it makes it look even worse.
    09-29-10 05:32 AM
    What do you expect? The media predicts the demise of every non apple device. In fact, they were predicting that RIM would be bought out this year or next due to falling volume..and RIM had it's best quarter and year ever. Bottom line....tech media is perhaps the most biased media out there.
    09-29-10 06:33 AM
    Another stupid analyst speaks. Why the eff don't they just shut the **** up.

09-29-10 06:34 AM
    You failed to notice that the playbook doesn't need 3g if you already have a blackberry data plan. It will use that data plan by bluetooth connection and as the man said it, why send the data twice, it's already in your phone.

The first batch of playbooks will be aimed at existing or new blackberry subscribers, not as a stand alone device.

Also, you'll notice that all other tablets android, hp have the same screen size.

09-29-10 06:39 AM
    I have an iPad....the 10 inch screen is a bit too big to lug around all day. Bulky, hard to hold with just one hand...not to mention typing...your hands are only so wide....
    09-29-10 06:42 AM
    I love fact that they are pointing the playbook will fail because of the size, as if RIM is breaking an establised industry standard screen size. Completly baseless critisisim.
    09-29-10 07:11 AM
    You failed to notice that the playbook doesn't need 3g if you already have a blackberry data plan. It will use that data plan by bluetooth connection and as the man said it, why send the data twice, it's already in your phone.

The first batch of playbooks will be aimed at existing or new blackberry subscribers, not as a stand alone device.

Also, you'll notice that all other tablets android, hp have the same screen size.

But what if you don't already have a BB data plan. If you own a different smartphone then 3G is unusable for you? OK, then this tab is ONLY for current BB owners? Does this company not want to grow any more?
    09-29-10 07:12 AM
    But what if you don't already have a BB data plan. If you own a different smartphone then 3G is unusable for you? OK, then this tab is ONLY for current BB owners? Does this company not want to grow any more?
    They said future models will have 3G/4G but the first one it's really just meant for blackberry users. And I see their point and agree with it, they're gonna push this first to the corporate world, selling point? No need for a separate data plan, and it's a good one, take the iphone and ipad, you would need to pay twice for 3G to have an employee run them both.

09-29-10 07:23 AM
    The 3g/4g models are coming later. As for the intial release, of course it is aimed for current bb owners, afterall it's a blackberry.
    09-29-10 07:31 AM
    Here is a interesting article in regards to the Ipad screen size:

Analysts: 9.7-inch iPad to be refreshed ahead of 7.0-inch overhaul - Gadgets
    09-29-10 07:51 AM
    The 3g/4g models are coming later. As for the intial release, of course it is aimed for current bb owners, afterall it's a blackberry.
    Exactly, and there's quite a few millions of us anyway.

09-29-10 07:54 AM
    ===== QUOTE Ronindan ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Exactly, and there's quite a few millions of us anyway.

Don't forget the 3g ipad version shipped 3-6 months after the wifi version......of course the media convienently forgot this fact in their criticism

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-29-10 08:13 AM
    Personally, I think the smaller size is an EXCELLENT selling point! My son has an iPad and it is much too large to fit in my handbag but smaller tablet would be perfect for me and hey, aren't there plenty of omen execs who might want to be purchasing these for themselves? Also, My hands are smaller and my finger span smaller than my son's and typing would be easier on a smaller device...I kinda think a little smaller might be ok...I dunno...would love to get one in my hands and actually TRY it before I condemn it!!!
    09-29-10 08:26 AM
    As much as i respect your OP for freedom of speach I do disagree with this statement that it will faulter. As an Rim/Apple Fan boy (except i blackberry)

This device cuts the void. I've never been in the market for a tablet - until the ipad.

1) Screen size - perfect - its an on the go experience. Travelers love compact and lite weight. I don't travel much - but I want a device that is compact and useful.

2) Device cuts the divide between consumer and pro user. It allows you to be productive or entertained all in one.

3) Marketing ? So far they have just released a demo of the product...

4) I agree with the lack of the 3G. However I do like the linking to my BB. But this will change...but i do agree - a sore spot.

5) I don't really understand your agrument here - they do have a proven track record in making quality phones and products....(to a certain extent)

6) This is a brand new browser....so there is no comparison

7) Apps - yes - this is very important! RIM Must get the developer buy in - if the developers do not buy in to the tablet - RIMs playbook is screwed.

8) Choice : the consumer wants choice. I am a consumer I want choice and competition makes products better.

Anyways- I'm looking forward to it - does **** me off the timing - but i think this will create a great bit of competition.

Good for RIM i'm happy and excited they came out with this product.
    09-29-10 08:31 AM
    Don't forget the 3g ipad version shipped 3-6 months after the wifi version......of course the media convienently forgot this fact in their criticism

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Lol, I have no interest in the ipad anymore, no interest in what the updated ipad will be either, now that there's a Rim tablet in the making. Nothing will ever integrate better with a blackberry and that's reason enough for me.

09-29-10 08:34 AM
    In regards to the 3G concern - when would you ever be with out your blackberry anyways? If thats how it connects to the net on the go - why would it matter - your bb will be in your pocket no? Or if you are home your wifi will supply the internet? If your traveling abroad (Europe ect ) you wouldn't dare use non-wifi data anyways. For me i think this is a non issue. Maybe i'm unique
    09-29-10 08:39 AM
    Lol, I have no interest in the ipad anymore, no interest in what the updated ipad will be either, now that there's a Rim tablet in the making. Nothing will ever integrate better with a blackberry and that's reason enough for me.

Perfectly said.
    09-29-10 08:39 AM
    I agree with some of them and others NO. Apple has been a prestigious company and been around for a while, when i bought my first blackberry 8820, half of the people around didnt even know blackberry or what it even was, but guess what, RIM eventually got more if not equal attention as an iPhone.

We will just have to see what happens.
    09-29-10 08:41 AM
    I know a lot of blackberry users are on the fence but the vast majority of the millions of existing subscribers have decided, a while ago probably, that they're gonna stay with the blackberry platform. That's who the PlayBook is aimed at so far and it includes me.

09-29-10 08:50 AM
    I have no issues with the exclusion of 3G either...in fact, I would never buy a 3G version. I refuse to pay for a second data plan or even an extra fee to my carrier to allow me to share my existing data plan with my tablet. I always have my Blackberry with me, so connectivity will not be an issue.
    09-29-10 08:54 AM
218 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD