10-09-12 11:03 PM
49 12
tools
    There is no evidence that a new tablet is being prepared as a successor. This is pure speculation. There is a rumour of a 10" tablet code named "blackforest", but calling it a successor implies that it is a replacement, and the blackforest is supposed to be an addition not a replacement.
    BerryClever, madman0141 and esk369 like this.
    10-08-12 06:57 PM
    This is a simple business move and it. Has nothing to do with Blackforest, Spec3, Pentagon, or any other devices locked in Area 51 of RIM'S headquarters in Canada.
    10-08-12 07:11 PM
    Yes, all Playbooks will be upgradeable to BB10. My point was just that there is no real reason to wait to release it.
    10-08-12 08:04 PM
    They need to re-release with a stainless version "Blackberry. Playbook Metal HD"or "Blackberry Playbook Hd". With mass marketing while Blackberry is back. In the news
    10-08-12 08:33 PM
    I have a 64gb with an awesome portfolio case for sale......anyone interested?....PM me
    10-08-12 08:44 PM
    They need to re-release with a stainless version "Blackberry. Playbook Metal HD"or "Blackberry Playbook Hd". With mass marketing while Blackberry is back. In the news
    no
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-08-12 09:41 PM
    Aren't we suppose to be expecting a 10 inch bb10 playbook code named blackforest? That sounds like a great successor to the current playbook...
    10-08-12 10:30 PM
    I thought all PlayBooks will be upgradeable to BB10, no?
    Yes, we have been told all PB's will be upgradable to bb10.
    10-08-12 10:34 PM
    There's definitely no chance a new PlayBook will emerge before the release of BB10, which is RIM's last chance to stay relevant in the mobile market.
    The current model doesn't feel outdated at all, unless you're a nerd looking for faster processors.

At the end of the day what matters is how much you can do with your device.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-09-12 12:47 AM
    I've had my PlayBook since May 2011, and I'm really excited for them to make a new tablet. I've had nothing but a great experience with my PlayBook. It's my first tablet, and I still use it daily. I'd love to see them make a new one with a higher resolution screen, vibrate feature, NFC, a better camera maybe, and an LED flash. I'd be cool with another 7inch version, as I've found it's perfect for games, or even a 10" one. I hope they make whatever new one they're cooking up look "flashier" though. After having the 9900, it's clear that RIM still knows how to make really nice looking devices, and it would be cool to see that be reflected in the successor to the PlayBook.

Oh and also, it's been said before, but they need to do a much better job marketing any and all upcoming tablets. And phones. ha
    gritsinct likes this.
    10-09-12 01:10 AM
    I'd bet no. He's just fishing for a response, explains saying the same thing twice, reeks of desperation, lmao
    Or you know tatatalk indicated to me that the first response never went through but if you are working on your mind-reading act - can you tell what I am thinking?
    Last edited by cgk; 10-09-12 at 03:27 AM.
    10-09-12 01:50 AM
    @cgk is there anything you like about the playbook putting aside the facts you have stated? Anything positive?
    What is the relevance? Let's say I think it is the best tablet on the market, what difference does that to its failures as a competitive product? Individual preference just tells us about individual preference. I currently uses a lumia 800 and think it is a great phone but it is a flop as a product and nokia is an also ran - my own enjoyment of the phone does not change that.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-09-12 01:54 AM
    I don't think this is a surprise since PlayBook 4G is being released and it is a higher price than the WIFI model. If you want to sell the 4G then have all WIFI devices returned for fire sale through RIM and have one available tablet.
    I really doubt that they are going to force everyone to upgrade to the 4g model when it is several hundred dollars more expensive. All the major tablets come in more than one model with different connectivity. Same with computers, no one is going to force you to pay for that option when you won't use it. I'd go buy a different tablet before I payed for an LTE radio.
    10-09-12 08:15 AM
    I don't think this is a surprise since PlayBook 4G is being released and it is a higher price than the WIFI model. If you want to sell the 4G then have all WIFI devices returned for fire sale through RIM and have one available tablet.
    I don't expect a new tablet till after BB10 phones launch.

They were probably pulled because online stores are sold out and they are trying to clear out in-store inventory.
    I think that is likely, I don't think RIM is trying to be out of inventory, I bet they were trying to scale back their inventory to generate cashflow but they underestimated their need. You would normally think that this means a new product is coming but as several people mentioned if that were happening we would know. So underforecasting is my guess as to what happened.
    10-09-12 08:24 AM
    Think for RIM to continue in the Enterprise Market they are going to need both a 7" and 10" tablet in their lineup, to complement their smartphones.

But it is undeniable that the PlayBook has been a financial "problem" for RIM. Not sure that they can afford to keep the PlayBook on life support right now, might be better to focus on the phones and IF they see profits go up and marketshare increase with the release of BB10 then they could divert funds and talent to other devices.
    10-09-12 09:26 AM
    With the release of 2.1 i think the PB is officially in a holding pattern until they launch BB10 handsets and have BB10 working on the PB.
    10-09-12 09:27 AM
    The current non-4G tablet doesn't have BlueTooth 4 or NFC. Maybe they want to make sure that "Run on the PlayBook, run on BB10" apps will truly do that and they are getting ready to release a PlayBook with those missing features.

Just sayin' and dreamin'.
    10-09-12 09:35 AM
    I've said it before, the pb may be a failure as far as sales go but it has been a boon for research and development. But that also includes anyone's cost that bought one. I don't mind as I've got a lot of use out of mine and kind of like seeing the changes and will eventually see BB10 on it.

I don't think we'll see another one until after the phones are out and doing well, which doesn't mean they aren't planning for one or two. I just hope they change the name.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-09-12 09:49 AM
    on the Blackberry site, the 4g model is the only one listed and is listed for the US as "coming soon". I'm looking for a 16g wifi right now...
    10-09-12 11:20 AM
    on the Blackberry site, the 4g model is the only one listed and is listed for the US as "coming soon". I'm looking for a 16g wifi right now...
    The wifi models are still listed for sale in the BB store. http://forums.crackberry.com/ext?lin...FPRD-38548-002
    DINGSTER1 likes this.
    10-09-12 11:42 AM
    I was at our local BestBuy last night and they have sold out of PBs again during their back-to-school sale. I was told by their asst. manager that they are expecting more stock in shortly, in the 32G and 64G models. He said the PBs haven't been pulled and will continue to be sold as long as they can get stock.
    10-09-12 12:27 PM
    Some Office Depots in the Southern California area have 1-2 per store of the 64 GB in stock, according to the Office Depot website. They are selling for $219.99 ($299.99 minus $80.00 Instang Savings)
    10-09-12 08:40 PM
    Making room for the playbook 4g/lte =p btw, I love my playbook 4g/lte eh.
    10-09-12 10:35 PM
    I read that retailers inventory was depleted due to sales and promotions that were being run.
    10-09-12 11:03 PM
49 12