10-09-12 10:03 PM
49 12
tools
    RIM's PlayBook tablet pulled from US online stores - tablets, hardware systems, research in motion - Mobile Solutions - ARN

"...Analyst says that RIM could be preparing a successor to the BlackBerry PlayBook, which has failed in the marketplace.

Models of Research in Motion's PlayBook tablet have been pulled from online stores of some top retailers in the U.S. and Canada, a move one analyst said could be a sign that the company is readying a successor tablet.

The PlayBook tablet is no longer listed on the online stores of U.S. consumer electronics retailers including Wal-Mart, Best Buy, RadioShack and Staples. The products are listed as being out of stock in Office Depot's online store.

In the BlackBerry maker's home country of Canada, only the 32GB model is available on the websites of retailers Futureshop and Best Buy Canada, at a discounted rate of C$149.99 (US$153). The 16GB and 64GB PlayBook models are out of stock...."

Looks like the 32Gig version is still available in Canada.
    10-08-12 01:16 PM
    I don't expect a new tablet till after BB10 phones launch.

They were probably pulled because online stores are sold out and they are trying to clear out in-store inventory.
    10-08-12 01:44 PM
    Right. What else would you expect to happen after prices got so low? Nothing new here, and surely nothing newsworthy.
    Harryl6134 and jafobabe like this.
    10-08-12 01:55 PM
    I just got a 32gig from bestbuy (canada) last week...they said limited quantities. my guess is they're just clearing out old stock to make room for the lte one...at least that's what I hope
    10-08-12 01:55 PM
    I think they will start the release of one with a 1.5 Ghz processor that will be upgradeable to BB10 when it comes out. It might also have more RAM.
    Let's face it, the current PB is getting long in the tooth.
    10-08-12 01:59 PM
    BlackBerry Tablets : Tablets & iPads - Best Buy Canada

It does show not available online, however I called my local store and they said both the 16 and 64 are still available in store.
    10-08-12 02:06 PM
    BlackBerry Tablets : Tablets & iPads - Best Buy Canada

It does show not available online, however I called my local store and they said both the 16 and 64 are still available in store.
    I called both Fairway road and the cambridge one and both locations have stock
    10-08-12 02:08 PM
    The ShopBlackBerry site also still lists 16 GB ($199), 32 GB ($249), and 64 GB ($299) models in stock.
    jafobabe likes this.
    10-08-12 02:16 PM
    uuuuuuhhhhhh,

here in German Amazon there was only one 16GB left for a lowest price. the next prices dealer has only 9 in stock. ordered last minute for my relative - b4 2 l8.

thanksss for the hint.

Ray de la fortuna

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    10-08-12 03:20 PM
    Well, we as CrackBerry readers already know from leaked roadmaps that RIM has a new Tablet in the works, but it's not slated to debut until Q3 next year so it's going to be a long void of no playbooks in the market before then. That may not be such a bad thing as there are a lot of people who just love to bash the Playbook that have only experienced version 1 of the Tablet OS. So maybe distancing the BB 10 Playbook from the original might be a good idea. But RIM will lose allot of sales to Windows 8 Tablets in the mean time.
    10-08-12 03:29 PM
    I think they will start the release of one with a 1.5 Ghz processor that will be upgradeable to BB10 when it comes out. It might also have more RAM.
    Let's face it, the current PB is getting long in the tooth.
    I thought all PlayBooks will be upgradeable to BB10, no?
    10-08-12 03:29 PM
    The product has been a bomb and a disaster from a revenue and profit perspective - rather odd move if they flush more time, money and manhours down that blackhole in the run-up to the launch of bb10 phones. If they are successful, It might make sense to take another stab at it but during this time period???
    cjdriver and anon1727506 like this.
    10-08-12 03:50 PM
    I am guessing that this is to clear stock for the LTE version, which has not hit U.S. retail yet. However, that's an expensive transition for someone who wanted a WIFI Playbook. There is a bit of real mystery here, I think. But near zero chance of something this site's readers have not heard of.

Nice forum redesign, and peppy!
    10-08-12 03:51 PM
    I just read article on appygeek about the pb being the most secure tablet for businesses with a byod policy the ipad is the only other tab the artice mentions very good read its up in news n rumors.
    Its newsworthy imo if for nothing else the fact that it shines a very positive light on rim.
    10-08-12 03:52 PM
    Considering what a disaster the playbook has been from a revenue and profit perspective odd decision if they throw more money, manhours down that black hole in the run-up to the launch of Bb10?
    10-08-12 03:55 PM
    @cgk is there anything you like about the playbook putting aside the facts you have stated? Anything positive?
    10-08-12 04:02 PM
    well a new pb with the same os like we have right now would be a rims end i think....
    Imo, they cant release another device with such premature OS and i hope they dont.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-08-12 04:03 PM
    well a new pb with the same os like we have right now would be a rims end i think....
    Imo, they cant release another device with such premature OS and i hope they dont.
    Agreed any new tablet would have to be running bbx.
    10-08-12 04:06 PM
    @cgk is there anything you like about the playbook putting aside the facts you have stated? Anything positive?
    I'd bet no. He's just fishing for a response, explains saying the same thing twice, reeks of desperation, lmao
    10-08-12 04:38 PM
    After being sold out two weeks ago, I see the case at my local Walmart has 16, 32 and 64's in stock again.

Had I not just paid more money than I have for a vacation, I might have finally succumbed to the temptation to buy a 64. My 32 is so very full now. Time for a purge.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-08-12 04:42 PM
    I just read Thors interview in India. He said bb10, then bb10 on Playbook, then tablets offering high added value and not relying on hw specs like the competition. RIM'S future is in mobile computing on a QNX platform.

With tablets and mobile computing still in their infancy, we have a long way to go, maybe 10 years to become where the laptop market is today.

In the meantime all of the laptop vendors must enter the tablet market, as there is nowhere else to go for them. Case in point being HP are talking about reentering the tablet space.

So if we look at Thors strategy long term vs just 4Q/2012. It makes a lot of sense to own the OS vs relying on Android, MS etc. That way the product can be differentiated much more than just hw specs.

So don't read too much into RIM'S tablet offerings until bb10 and then bb10 on Playbook get established.
    bay1902 and esk369 like this.
    10-08-12 05:01 PM
    It would be nice to think that RIM is set to imminently release a new Playbook, but there has been no evidence of such a thing.
    10-08-12 05:05 PM
    You know what is funny...... the tablet flopped because of the lack of any store support on the apps.... IE; content. It has a better camera than most of the ipad generations, less lag than them as well. It's OS is more solid than the android offerings, and it's just a really nice tablet all around. If BB would have realized that the tablet wouldn't work without content and done something about it they would have sold them. Even the horrible Kindle which has NO cameras, is sluggish on the custom OS, and horrible to type on and use, and you can't hear the speakers on, yet it is still a success compared to the PB and it's hot even half the tablet the PB is.... I have both trust me it's terrible in comparison. REALLY terrible. Still, it won hands down in sales and the PB flopped. NO content = no success. What good is having a sports car if there isn't a gas station in the country and only one road that's 50 feet long?

It still has great specs, camera's, etc.... don't pull it and stick something else there. The tablet isn't the problem. Same with ALL BlackBerry products. When are you going to learn RIM, you are going to fail if you don't take the 3 piece suits off and put the hip hoodie on.
    esk369, Akuji_ism, andy957 and 1 others like this.
    10-08-12 05:06 PM
    Why can't they make some wifi ones using the basic Telephone model without the telephone capability. This is not the new model 7" playbook needed which must be lighter and less pudgy to match the competition. This is more like the improvement to the original Kindle now being sold(?) for $159 as compared to the much better 16GB Kindle Fire HD being sold for $199.
    10-08-12 05:09 PM
    I don't think this is a surprise since PlayBook 4G is being released and it is a higher price than the WIFI model. If you want to sell the 4G then have all WIFI devices returned for fire sale through RIM and have one available tablet.
    10-08-12 05:41 PM
49 12