I Had a problem with my PlayBook BBID locking me out. Being concerned that this was a security risk, I called the PlayBook support to find out why my BBID had reached the maximum number of password attempts without me doing anything, and 4 calls and 6 people later, I was hung up on TWICE and they told me they "WOULD NOT" be providing me with support for my product.

I received three different stories, one was that I needed a new BBID for my PlayBook, a solution I was not willing to accept.

The second explanation was that a server problem was causing my issue, but they gave me no confidence in this because:

a)the first person told me it was MY ID

and b)they could not explain to me what was happening at all.

The third explanation was more or less: "we can't do anything, re-install the OS and try again," a solution that a previous person had told me that such a process would not work in solving my problem. I spent approximately 4 hours on the phone, and in the end I was hung up on and yelled at.

I've supported BlackBerry and RIM for years, owning 8 phones and a tablet at launch, but with their current problems in terms of getting products that are GOOD and finished to market combined with a bad consumer reputation and now awful consumer support, I'm not so sure where I stand on this company. Bad support is one thing, but I can't even let anyone know about my problems or about the experience I had... sorry to say it, but RIM just lost a lot of respect in my eyes.
    Last edited by Caniac01; 02-11-12 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Added line-breaks, I typed this when I was very frustrated!
    02-11-12 01:51 PM
    Write to them!!

This is not my experience, guy I spoke to really was not going to give up until it was sorted and was politeness personified!
    Jeovex likes this.
    02-11-12 01:54 PM
    I understand you are frustrated.

However, your point will be a lot easier to get across if you edit your post and provide some line breaks.

There are times when we all have problems with customer support, no matter what company it is. the grass is no greener on the other side, infact, it probably needs mowed.

Try calling apple and getting support for an oddball ipod problem. Not so easy.

Anyhow, I used to work call centre customer service. I held a position on the phones, and supervisory positions. There is something you learn, working in one.

The turnover rate is high, because people don't like dealing with irate customers. There are times that you get yelled at constantly, all day.

That being said, there isn't a lot of screening that happens when people get hired for these jobs, as they need a lot of people. The incompetent ones eventually get let go.

Also: The customer support is farmed out to call centres. It's how it works for every large company. Depending on call volume and how your call gets routed, you can get to some pretty incompetent centres.

So, in the grand scheme of things, I am still a firm supporter of RIM, as if you base your decision soley on customer service by phone, you will be sadly dissapointed wherever you go.
    02-11-12 01:58 PM
    I've dealt with tons of companies and had awful experiences with all of them in customer support (Except SONY PS3 support) and while I continue to support RIM, I simply cannot let go that I had such a bad experience.

My experiences with Apple have been worse, I'll give RIM credit there, however bad customer experience cannot be excused just because everyone has bad customer service.

All in all, being yelled at by a customer service person who tells me they "will not" give me support for my product is very frustrating... it looks bad on a company, specifically one who needs their best face to consumers currently.

I would love to let somebody higher up know how bad of an experience I had, however I can't seem to find a way to do so without calling the same people back. Any suggestions?
    02-11-12 02:05 PM
    That is too bad. I actually received wonderful service. I bought a second playbook and they wouldn't video chat with each other. They worked hard to solve the problem, raised it up higher when they couldn't, got it fixed and phoned back when they said they would. I was very impressed.
    02-11-12 02:15 PM
    True, this are needs to be fixed, the playbook is a great pproduct but it had not has good press, some people may have bought it and had problems, if their first anser from RIM (as customer service) is bad, how can they support a tablet that the media have already bashed?
    02-11-12 02:18 PM
    i thought the customer service was good when i needed it, the lady tried everything to fix my issue and tried her best, in the end i had to exchange my playbook for a new one since it was the day after i had purchased it.
    02-11-12 02:20 PM
    Your BBID issue makes it sound like you are running the beta 2.0 Development Build. If that was the case RIM is not the one at fault, it would be yours for not informing them such. Their customer support is trained for official builds. I know this from prior experience

As for the hang ups, you should have asked for a number to call to get directed to the person you were talking to in the event of a call fail.

The time frame sounds about average especially if you had them stay on the line as you reloaded the OS

I have never had any issues with RIMs customer support, if they gave you the wrong diagnosis it was probably because the lack of information given.

Lastly, to save time, storm the forums before contacting RIM, it saves a lot of time and you learn a lot without someones holding your hand. It would be in your best interest.
    02-11-12 02:37 PM
    OP, what OS build are you on? Did you buy the PB new, or from a previous owner?
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-11-12 02:41 PM
    They answered my questions in less than 2 hours(I contacted them via e-mail)
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-11-12 02:44 PM
    I've dealt with tons of companies and had awful experiences with all of them in customer support (Except SONY PS3 support) and while I continue to support RIM, I simply cannot let go that I had such a bad experience.

My experiences with Apple have been worse, I'll give RIM credit there, however bad customer experience cannot be excused just because everyone has bad customer service.

All in all, being yelled at by a customer service person who tells me they "will not" give me support for my product is very frustrating... it looks bad on a company, specifically one who needs their best face to consumers currently.

I would love to let somebody higher up know how bad of an experience I had, however I can't seem to find a way to do so without calling the same people back. Any suggestions?
    I usually ask for the person's supervisor which they are obligated to give. If they still don't I record their name or other identifying information and find a contact via their web site a little higher. I can assure you that no company want this type of incident to reflect on their support reputation and do want to know about such incidents to correct the situation.

This what I did to resolve a tech support issue I had with Asus that was eventually resolved when I was able to contact the right person. He took ownership of the situation and resolved it in a couple of days which had taken months up to that point. He even followed up afterward to make sure it was taken care of.
    02-11-12 02:48 PM
    Ask @blackberryhelp on Twitter for a contact number or email address. You'd be highly unlikely to get the same operator again, though.
    02-11-12 02:51 PM
    i used to work for ipod tech support years ago and most problems could be solved with a simple reboot of the computer. however, as technology gets complicated on both sides some simple steps needs to be done before going trough tier 2 tech support, those tier 1 tech support mostly have a script and they do not know all around inside and out the product, and they most likely do not need to either. they screen calls and they get information probably from the same knowledge base you can get from their site. they will not go further than what they are allowed to do either even if they did know everything, because they are doing their job... if you broke something on your side then it would be even worst for their call quality monitoring. not everyone has easy problems, i really feel that you must be patient and request supervisor if needed (*tier 2)
    02-11-12 02:53 PM
    Are you sure you weren't being rude in your frustration and cause the rep to hang up on you? Your story sounds like it's missing some important details.
    02-11-12 03:01 PM
    Your BBID issue makes it sound like you are running the beta 2.0 Development Build. If that was the case RIM is not the one at fault, it would be yours for not informing them such. Their customer support is trained for official builds. I know this from prior experience

As for the hang ups, you should have asked for a number to call to get directed to the person you were talking to in the event of a call fail.

The time frame sounds about average especially if you had them stay on the line as you reloaded the OS

I have never had any issues with RIMs customer support, if they gave you the wrong diagnosis it was probably because the lack of information given.

Lastly, to save time, storm the forums before contacting RIM, it saves a lot of time and you learn a lot without someones holding your hand. It would be in your best interest.

I appreciate your reply, however to be honest, I gave them all the necessary information and as a matter of fact I was not running the developer build on this PlayBook. As for the information I gave them, I'm sure you were not part of the conversation so really, how can you judge that I gave them insufficient info?

They never suggested reloading the OS or anything like that, in fact I had to suggest that to the people myself and even then they told me it would make no difference.

My search through forums provided me with a couple of fixes that did nothing, only got me to a point where it said I could not connect to my BBID because I needed a network connection (which I had). Therefore I resorted to RIM's support seeing as they're supposed to "support" their product.

One last point, the hang-ups were not due to call failure, they were the supervisors simply telling me that the conversation had gone as far as they could; they were also irate at this point because I told them I needed more of an answer than back and forth answers that did not add up. Telling me that it was my personal ID, then a server, then my PlayBook, then that they had no idea what was happening.

As much as I love RIM, I did have a bad experience, they happen and I'm simply expressing my dissatisfaction.
    02-11-12 03:06 PM
    I have only had to call them once regarding wifi and thin short order.e problem was solved
    02-11-12 03:11 PM
    Are you sure you weren't being rude in your frustration and cause the rep to hang up on you? Your story sounds like it's missing some important details.
    After three hours on the phone and being told 3 different things by 6 different people I was of course mad. The final person I spoke to however would not let me speak and was lecturing me about how he could not solve my problem, so yes I was made. I did not however get irate with him, I asked him to let me speak (and he would not).

It might be a shock to you, but I actually had a bad experience. I figured these forums would be somewhat sympathetic and possibly recognize the fact that RIM should work on customer service if people have experiences like I did today.

I also wasn't aware that I would be expected to write out a detailed transcript of what was said in my conversation. You don't have to believe me, but it really baffles me that you would come into this threat simply to tell me that I'm wrong or lying. Do you perhaps have some attachment to RIM's customer support?
    02-11-12 03:17 PM
    OP, what OS build are you on? Did you buy the PB new, or from a previous owner?
    My PB is currently restoring but my build is 1.0.8 something (not sure on the bundle and can't check while restoring). I bought it new many months ago (8 perhaps). Once I did a security wipe the issue was resolved and now I'm attempting to get some data back by restoring.

None of this by the way was suggested by support. They wanted me to either use a new ID or wait until they fixed a "server issue" that based on my many conversations with them I don't think ever existed.
    02-11-12 03:21 PM
    I usually ask for the person's supervisor which they are obligated to give. If they still don't I record their name or other identifying information and find a contact via their web site a little higher. I can assure you that no company want this type of incident to reflect on their support reputation and do want to know about such incidents to correct the situation.

This what I did to resolve a tech support issue I had with Asus that was eventually resolved when I was able to contact the right person. He took ownership of the situation and resolved it in a couple of days which had taken months up to that point. He even followed up afterward to make sure it was taken care of.
    I really should have taken down their names, however I spoke to two supervisors, neither gave me any information, just put me on hold constantly after they'd ask a question. I found that event he supervisors knew little about the product.

Perhaps this is because it's a weekend... who knows.
    02-11-12 03:24 PM
    Yea, just by your posting I can tell you were mad on the phone lol.

Oh and there's the funny part of your story where you said the 3rd option given to you was to re-install, then a few posts later you said they never suggested it, hrm...
    02-11-12 03:25 PM
    Yea, just by your posting I can tell you were mad on the phone lol.

Oh and there's the funny part of your story where you said the 3rd option given to you was to re-install, then a few posts later you said they never suggested it, hrm...
    If you look at my history, I've never actually created a thread before, so I'm not exactly all that experienced with it. The third option they gave me was to re-install, however the point I was attempting to make was that they provided no support as to how to do that.

Being on the phone with them, I would have expected them to help me out a little bit with that, not tell me I'm on my own.

On top of that, telling me to re-install the OS after I had gotten a couple of different answers? I wasn't 100% confident in anything they had said.
    02-11-12 03:32 PM
    I've been locked out of my BBID on the OS2 build before and the fix was to turn to manual time and move the date forward to like 2030 or something, save, then revert back to the proper date. That fixed it for me but that was the Dev beta not the official build. Could be worth a shot but I see you've already started the restore process =(
    02-11-12 03:47 PM
    Most tech support is poor unless you happen to get lucky and get the one really knowledgeable guy that hasn't yet been bumped up to a supervisor position.

Tech support from my ISP is poor. Tech support for my router is poor. Few exceptions.

If the book is new, simply return it and get a new one. My personal experience with the playbook has been great. Worked like a charm right out of the box.
    02-11-12 04:01 PM
    I Had a problem with my PlayBook BBID locking me out. Being concerned that this was a security risk, I called the PlayBook support to find out why my BBID had reached the maximum number of password attempts without me doing anything, and 4 calls and 6 people later, I was hung up on TWICE and they told me they "WOULD NOT" be providing me with support for my product.

I received three different stories, one was that I needed a new BBID for my PlayBook, a solution I was not willing to accept.

The second explanation was that a server problem was causing my issue, but they gave me no confidence in this because:

a)the first person told me it was MY ID

and b)they could not explain to me what was happening at all.

The third explanation was more or less: "we can't do anything, re-install the OS and try again," a solution that a previous person had told me that such a process would not work in solving my problem. I spent approximately 4 hours on the phone, and in the end I was hung up on and yelled at.

I've supported BlackBerry and RIM for years, owning 8 phones and a tablet at launch, but with their current problems in terms of getting products that are GOOD and finished to market combined with a bad consumer reputation and now awful consumer support, I'm not so sure where I stand on this company. Bad support is one thing, but I can't even let anyone know about my problems or about the experience I had... sorry to say it, but RIM just lost a lot of respect in my eyes.
    It's too bad. You had such bad support. I had a bad Bbid on Thursday. I attempted to reset the password from my desktop
    https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/login/?callbackuri=aHR0cHM6Ly9wcm90ZWN0LmJsYWNrYmVycnkuY 29tL3Byb3RlY3QvYXcvbG9naW4=&authtype=YmJwcm90ZWN0d 2Vi

This is where things went from bad to worse, in setting up my Bbid I had used a bis email (blackberry.net) and the password reset cannot be delivered to my phone. I called pb support and they told me it was a cellular problem. After hours of being passed from department to department I was told to wipe pb and create a new Bbid. Horrible. Solution as I was going to lose over $100 dollars in apps plus all the time involved in starting over with a new Bbid.

Now the good news the next morning I called pb tech support again and this time got a great tech who really knew his stuff. He had me create a filter on my 9860 and not allow email to my bis account and then forwarded that to my web email account. Every thing went great and my password was reset and I'm back in business.So the moral to this long winded story is there are some people who are good at their job and others who are not. Just keep your cool and retry later on and you will probably get that person the next time. I have found this method has worked well many times.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-11-12 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD