No, this thread isn't about the tablet, its about what should be RIM's strategy going forward to make Blackberry the leading smartphone again. These are my thoughts and ideas and thought I would share, and hey maybe someone in Waterloo will see these too!

Hardware: On the hardware front, RIM needs to concentrate on 3 form factors, Bold, Torch slider, Torch slab. All three would share the exact same specs, all high end models. Screen sizes should be 4" on the slab, 3.7" on the slider, and 3" on the Bold. The slider and slab should be full 1080p screen resolution with wide screen aspect ratio. Chose 1080p because that is a standard resolution and would give the phone almost a 600 dpi and would be far enough that there would be no reason to go higher, even as technology gets better. This means apps coded today wouldn't need to be updated in the future. The bold would need a 4:3 because wide screen wouldn't be right, it would be too short in landscape mode. All apps would be required to work on both screen aspects and in landscape or portrait, this way all apps would work on all phones. They should have a top of the line processor, at least 1gb ram, 32gb storage, HSPA+ (maybe LTE if battery life can be worked out), gps, wifi, bluetooth 4.0, gyro, accelerometer, compass, and an inductive charging back (like the pre line). Edit: Also an autofocus 8 megapixel camera or greater on back and HD video camera on front. Both sensors should be of high quality and backlit, megapixel doesn't matter so much as having clear and detailed shots.

apps: The hard part will getting app developers to port their apps over, especially with no install base on a new platform. So instead of trying to bribe them ala microsoft, or hoping they jump on board, RIM should just make the apps themselves. They should open a program where if you have an app on say iOS, you could just hand over the app to RIM and they will go ahead and convert it to a QNX app to sell in app world. The catch is that because RIM did all the work bringing the app over, the revenue split will be reversed. So instead of 70% going to the developer and 30% going to RIM, it would be 70% RIM and 30% to the developer. It would be a win win, the developer gets 30% for doing no work and giving the app to RIM, and RIM gets more apps in app world. Now if down the road the developer sees that there is enough revenue coming in and wants in on that 70%, they can then write an update and as soon as that goes on sale the revenue split goes back to normal. As for free and ad supported apps, they would all be 99 cents with all revenue going RIM as the developer will still get 100% of the ad revenue.

Media: It will be hard to compete with the iTunes store, and to start its own media store wouldn't make much sense as there are already too many options and people don't like having to manage libraries from different stores and services, so instead they should just combine all other media services available into one. Meaning, much like how on playbook os 2.0 they combine social services such as Facebook, twitter, and email into one messaging app, they need to combine netflix, hulu, vudu, amazon and others into one media hub. It would work where you just enter your account credentials at the login screen, and then it will automatically pull in all available content from your account into one viewer. So instead of hunting around different apps to watch your content, you would have them in one spot, and the combined library of those services blow out what's available in iTunes. Same with music.

BBM plus: BBM is a great service, but they can make it much better. First, they need to add voip and video chat with bbm. Think how much more word of mouth would get around if you can make free calls to other blackberry users? That would be a HUGE selling point, not just at the store but also if you have a blackberry you'll be sure to try to get everyone else you know on a blackberry too! Also instead of it being a separate bbm app, it should just be baked into the phone and messaging app., much like iMessage. The contact will be a different color with a blackberry symbol next to their messages so you know they're on bbm too.

Desktop sync: Much like iCloud keeps the iPhone in sync with the desktop, RIM needs to develop a plug-in as well for windows and mac, so that pictures, email, calendars, and bookmarks all automatically sync up with your phone. So when you add a bookmark on your computer, it shows up on your phone. When you take a picture on your phone, it shows up on your computer. But along with that, they should also do a true documents folder. So when you download an attachment or make a document in docs to go, they automatically show up on your computer. And any file you put into that documents folder on your computer automatically shows up on your phone and tablet.

BB10: BB10 must be completely polished and running smooth as butter when it ships. I won't spend much time on this because I believe it will be.

Well, those are the big ones. I have a bunch of other smaller things, but this post is long enough as it is. Thanks for reading, hopefully some of this gets back to the guys at RIM.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 02-10-12 at 01:13 AM.
    stevepar likes this.
    02-09-12 11:53 PM
    good ideas, but wouldnt a 4 inch slider be rather a bit heavy? thought 1GB RAM and a dual core 1.5GHZ would be nice. no need to go quad core. I cant comment about media because alll i do on mine is play music. i am from waterloo
    Last edited by Silverfern; 02-10-12 at 12:14 AM.
    02-10-12 12:12 AM
    good ideas, but wouldnt a 4 inch slider be rather a bit heavy? thought 1GB RAM and a dual core 1.5GHZ would be nice. no need to go quad core. I cant comment about media because alll i do on mine is play music. i am from waterloo
    The slider would be 3.7" as I feel that would be the biggest you would want on a slider. I have a pre3 which is 3.6" the phone is the perfect size for a slider, and you could fit a 3.7" on that body by reducing the bezel.

ALso, music would be handled the same as media, so you plug in you pandora, amazon or rdio credentials and it pulls in music from those services.

Wahoo, my message did get to waterloo! Now if you can just pass this along to one of the locals at RIM my mission will be complete.
    Last edited by fernandez21; 02-10-12 at 12:24 AM.
    02-10-12 12:22 AM
    lol i am a student at waterloo i know people who work at rim, but barely, so prob cant bring it up with them. maybe if my 4th year project goes well, RIM will hire me
    02-10-12 12:25 AM
    Business oriented phone/tablet should focus on the ease of use for the ppl it's made for. Multitasking' good camera bk and front for communication. Forget all these fancy stuff but then again what about the others?
    02-10-12 12:43 AM
    i feel the 9860/OS7 is really easy to use already as it is
    02-10-12 12:55 AM
    Business oriented phone/tablet should focus on the ease of use for the ppl it's made for. Multitasking' good camera bk and front for communication. Forget all these fancy stuff but then again what about the others?
    All of that stuff is already being baked into BB10, thats why i didn't really get into detail on that. Forgot about the cameras, will update the post!
    02-10-12 01:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD