With the Playbook the new OS updates are (mostly) OTA. What do you guys think: is this the new way we're gonna have to update the OS on our phones too in the future?
    I mean, QNX, Playbook. What about carrier approval for the build?

Also, can hybrids be made from the PB builds?
    06-22-11 02:24 AM
    IIRC, the carriers will only need to approve cell radio-related OS changes and the rest is on RIM.
    06-22-11 02:45 AM
    i prefer installing offline
    06-22-11 06:08 AM
    Doubt they would go OTA only, unless that's not what you are implying. I've always seen the option to upgrade OTA, but have only started doing it with the Playbook.

As for hybrids, anything can happen with the right talent behind the wheel, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    06-22-11 06:25 AM
    I think with QNX they can do OTA and much better as they have proven with the PB. But only over wifi. So i think they have to do both ota and DM still just like before. Carriers were always in charge of whether to do OTA updates or not before i think so they have a say in it.
    06-22-11 10:48 AM
    IIRC, the carriers will only need to approve cell radio-related OS changes and the rest is on RIM.
    correct, so once QA has approved the cell radio section, QA is only required again by the carrier should RIM change that code, it means OS updates on QNX phones will be (dare i say it) more apple like in the sense of `here it is everyone`
    06-22-11 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD