Living in New York City I have attended several 'PLAYBOOK EXPERIENCE'.
    Usually they are short term retail related programs from trailer trucks.
    Yesterday I attended an late day event at the Chelsea Market, a major food and media building. RIM had an open bar, lots of food, DJ, and many non-RIM employee marketing people.

What made this July 10-23, 2012 event remarkable is the location:
    Chelsea Market is across the street from GOOGLE's New York HQ's where perhaps 5000 Google people work.

IMO RIM is trying several tactics.
    > Perhaps to attract highly skilled computer scientists to join RIM.
    > To build enthusiasm for Google to build apps for PB .... many Google people work on independent projects, otherwise unrelated to their main assignments.
    > ???
    Last edited by mandony; 07-11-12 at 02:51 PM.
    07-11-12 02:44 PM
    I wish I was in NYC
    07-11-12 02:48 PM
    Good move! There is tremendous talent there that could really change things for RIM. That's the level of talent you need if they are serious about becoming a big player again.

Amazon set up an office in Redmond to do the same thing. Made it very easy for Microsoft employees to move over without even changing their commutes at all.
    07-11-12 04:06 PM
    You guys keep coming up with this stuff, and we all know it's bogus because certain all-knowing members here have told us all that the PB is dead and no more support is forthcoming, and they are always right. I have to keep repeating this for you guys. RIM wouldn't put time and money into a dead horse.
    hpjrt likes this.
    07-11-12 06:40 PM
    Google has offices in Waterloo as well. I suppose that is a sure sign they're targeting RIM employee's to..right...right? lol. As for the experience events, RIM also had a booth set up in Grand Central...where there also happens to be an Apple Store. Must mean they're looking to recruit Apple retail store employee's surely, lol.

Keep your head on your shoulders folks, things are getting a little crazy around here.
    07-11-12 07:20 PM
    lol. As for the experience events, RIM also had a booth set up in Grand Central...where there also happens to be an Apple Store. Must mean they're looking to recruit Apple retail store employee's surely, lol.
    All except Blaize, I was there at about five PM, just as a flow of Google employees were leaving their building, many making a be line for the RIM show. The open bar was fully stocked and active. A major chef was cooking. This was unlike the GCT outings suited for the retail market. There were few ordinary folk off the street, almost all techs. RIM was not doing this promo for a day but a week plus. The Apple store is around the corner, but most of their workers are ten dollar an hour sales people, not high techs. Apple was not the target, rather, not only Google staff but also workers from several hundred computer science company workers who work nearby too.

IMO, Knowing the cost of events in the area, RIM is spending many hundred thousand dollars on recruiting, not PB sales.
    Last edited by mandony; 07-11-12 at 08:15 PM.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-11-12 08:04 PM
    This is interesting. Smart move by RIM. I wish I could go to these PlayBook things. Very tactical putting the event right across from Google's building.
    07-11-12 08:21 PM
    So, do you think RIM will be headed to the Silicon Valley next? That is only about 90 minutes away from me and would make a great day trip before school starts back up... Any ideas?
    07-11-12 08:32 PM
    07-11-12 08:36 PM
    So, do you think RIM will be headed to the Silicon Valley next? That is only about 90 minutes away from me and would make a great day trip before school starts back up... Any ideas?
    RIM is establishing a presence in Silicon Valley. I believe "the presence" is currently being used for developer relations. Where they expand and how they expand their footprint beyond will be interesting.
    07-11-12 09:03 PM
    I don't know, unless you really hated your job, would you leave Google to work for RIM right now? Considering everything that's going on with both companies?
    07-11-12 09:03 PM
    I don't know, unless you really hated your job, would you leave Google to work for RIM right now? Considering everything that's going on with both companies?
    Nah, I'd look to work for Social Security - oh, I am. But if they have a rim event in MS' neighborhood and Amazon's neighborhood let me know!
    07-11-12 11:36 PM
    Google has offices in Waterloo as well. I suppose that is a sure sign they're targeting RIM employee's to..right...right? lol. As for the experience events, RIM also had a booth set up in Grand Central...where there also happens to be an Apple Store. Must mean they're looking to recruit Apple retail store employee's surely, lol.

Keep your head on your shoulders folks, things are getting a little crazy around here.
    Bingo you guys are coming up with just some outrageous twilight zone crap lately.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-12-12 12:37 AM
    ... IMO, Knowing the cost of events in the area, RIM is spending many hundred thousand dollars on recruiting, not PB sales.
    Um, I own a recruiting firm. If that's how they're spending their recruiting $, well, good luck with that. That would really prove they're clueless.

- R.
    07-12-12 12:56 AM
    Yesterday out front of my office there was a hot dog vendor. I knew he was trying to recruit me!!!
    phonejunky likes this.
    07-12-12 10:59 AM
    ... If that's how they're spending their recruiting $, well, good luck with that.
    You have a valid point. These events are planned long ago, coordinated by contractor marketing firms. At some time the RIM management considered their need to bring PB and RIM OS10 to the attention to NYC high tech people. In the vicinity of the Google's NYC HQ are several hundred start-up internet related firms. What better way but to show, RIM is not a dead or dying company? If RIM walks away from kind of that opportunity then they show lack of strength and ability to do business (and hire) in the future.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    07-12-12 11:41 AM
    If We're talking about it, here in Crackberry, it's certainly of some significance 

I don't agree with traditional way of recruiting engineer or workers in general.
    Showing a curriculum in a short interview, doing a couple of tests or having a recommendation letters are in most cases useless, that’s because, most of candidates don’t tell the true, or at least not all the true… some them just lie.
    Events like this are good marketing opportunities targeting developers or even future employees.
    mandony likes this.
    07-12-12 12:14 PM
    Yesterday out front of my office there was a hot dog vendor. I knew he was trying to recruit me!!!
    Theres a hot dog stand outside Rue57 cafe. Ask for Mr. Input.

http://mashable.com/2012/07/11/reddit-subway-code/
    07-13-12 11:11 AM
    If We're talking about it, here in Crackberry, it's certainly of some significance 
    No it isn't and a quick perusal of some of the threads here will bear this out.

When did the word coincidence vanish from the vocabulary of CrackBerry?
    07-13-12 12:22 PM
    Whatever the reason, I hope it's a success and wished they had one here in the UK again.
    07-13-12 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD