I don't see native BBM feature being mention in the release
    Why RIMM releasing another uncooked product?
    Why RIMM never learn from past experience?
    It's going to be another failed product !!
    08-02-12 04:12 PM
    I don't think anyone has any high expectations for this product, and I suspect retail sales will be slow. BBM wouldn't make a heck of a lot of difference either way.

RIM's best market for this device is going to be enterprise. Doubt the immediate availability of BBM will be a huge issue either way.

BBM will come with the BB10 update that the tablet will receive early next year. The upside there is it will integrate the existing Video Chat.
    08-02-12 04:16 PM
    They are saving BBM for the BB10 release its been redone by TAT and allegedly has video chat along with other as yet undisclosed new features. I'm assuming that it is already completed and has been for some time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    08-02-12 04:18 PM
    Looks like it.....*sigh*
    08-02-12 04:29 PM
    I guess the iPad 3 is half-baked because it doesn't have Siri...what a shame
    08-02-12 04:33 PM
    I cannot understand why there is so much of whining on the forums. No matter what RIM does it's not good enough or not what was expected etc.
    Let's just be happy for a while. It's not a bad day for Blackberry at all.
    08-02-12 04:51 PM
    I would like to see it for myself before I say its junk. When is it coming out anyone have a date?
    08-02-12 04:57 PM
    Why would you need native BBM when you've got bridge?
    It's not like the PlayBook users that have iPhones/androids/WP7's are missing BBM too much
    08-02-12 04:59 PM
    It'll come in an update within 60 days I heard..
    08-02-12 05:01 PM
    Why would you need native BBM when you've got bridge?
    It's not like the PlayBook users that have iPhones/androids/WP7's are missing BBM too much
    This makes sense if its bridged you have BBM Right?
    08-02-12 05:01 PM
    This makes sense if its bridged you have BBM Right?
    Well... yeah
    08-02-12 05:04 PM
    Well... yeah
    Then who cares if it doesn't have native BBM?
    Thanks for the answer I had senior moment.
    08-02-12 05:06 PM
    The bridged bbm is far too laggy to compete with what would be a likely smoother native BBM app. The bridge bbm ui is brilliant.... But it is impossible to hold a full on conversation with someone through bridge on the pb.... Its just not practical when you need the conversation to be moving in real time... So bridge is not a justification for not having native BBM. It would be a justification if RIM fixed the lag... I'm not hating, just a loyal bb user wanting RIM and it's devices to be the perfect products it deserves to be.....

Having said that I cannot wait for the native BBM, bb10 and just about everything RIM is going to offer in the future....
    08-02-12 05:46 PM
    The bridged bbm is far too laggy to compete with what would be a likely smoother native BBM app. The bridge bbm ui is brilliant.... But it is impossible to hold a full on conversation with someone through bridge on the pb.... Its just not practical when you need the conversation to be moving in real time... So bridge is not a justification for not having native BBM. It would be a justification if RIM fixed the lag... I'm not hating, just a loyal bb user wanting RIM and it's devices to be the perfect products it deserves to be.....

Having said that I cannot wait for the native BBM, bb10 and just about everything RIM is going to offer in the future....
    I think the lag is attributed to the dated Bluetooth hardware found on both BlackBerrys and PlayBooks...limited in data transfer
    08-02-12 06:11 PM
    I cannot understand why there is so much of whining on the forums. No matter what RIM does it's not good enough or not what was expected etc.
    Agreed!

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps
    DocDRM likes this.
    08-02-12 06:55 PM
    WOW.....just don't buy it or buy a BlackBerry phone. TWO choices here
    08-02-12 07:06 PM
    WOW.....just don't buy it or buy a BlackBerry phone. TWO choices here
    People need to be told what to buy...hence Apple being so dominate.
    08-02-12 07:43 PM
    There are people for whom the 4G BlackBerry PlayBook would be ideal especially in an enterprise environment where BBM is actually a highly-used communication channel. Some folks on this forum think BBM is strictly a social application but many organizations rely upon BBM as an essential tool. And not everybody who wants or uses a tablet wants or needs a smartphone; hence the 4G tablet to complement the current WiFi-only tablet offering.
    08-02-12 11:02 PM
    It may not be a bad day for Blackberry at all, but I think, with all due respect, your missing the point of the negative comments.

Releasing the 4G Blackberry Playbook without a true native BBM - one that doesn't require bridging - if true, is an assenine move by RIM; a move that will only serve to fuel the negative commentary by the media, news outlets, and public, that RIM just does not get it.

It's history repeating itself: when the Playbook was originally released - the so-called Professional Tablet in which Amateur hour was mocked and declared dead - RIM released a tablet without a native email client. And what was the result? The product was in turn mocked by the public. It was openly laughed at. RIM was criticized as being out of touch with reality. People couldn't believe that they would release a product without something as basic as email.

The same mockery that occured then will occur now. The difference is, the comments will be along the lines of "RIM releases a 4G Tablet and it can't even do RIM's own key software of BBM". It will be compared as Apple releasing an Ipad without Itunes. BBM is considered by many to be the defining achievement; the crown-jewel; the thing that differentiates RIM from other companies. And yet, it's own flagship model can't do it.

I think this is why there are negative comments being said; namely, that we see RIM making the same mistakes over and over and over again. There was no rush to get the 4G version out to market at this time; it should have waited until a native BBM app was available; BB10 was on it; and then relaunched as a "new and drastically improved" product.

By launching now, it's just another Playbook that "cant do that" - only this time, you can't do that at LTE speeds.
    kevinnugent and JeepBB like this.
    08-02-12 11:47 PM
    BBM is deaply intergrated into the system. From what I understand RIM had BBM ready to go into the PB but descided that with out it's various hooks it was a terrible hatchet job & made BBM no better then the 100 other msg programs out there. So they scrapped it & had TAT redo it from the ground up for BB10
    08-03-12 01:02 AM
    It's as expected, right? I don't think it'll be available until PB with BB10 OS is available (let's assume RIM will continue to make tablet).

Actually, I will consider buying a new PB once BBM is integrated and new processor is used (perhaps in PB2??). I don't know about you guys, but it's hard to live without BBM here...lol. Recently, I've almost never text anyone again (just bbm and whatsapp). I use BBM and once it's available in PB...I'd be happier than now :-)
    08-03-12 01:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD