Does layoff mean that updates will be delayed ?

Does failing to meet the deadline on the new phones mean more resources will be shifted from playbook to phone dev within RIM?

What about apps from other companies? ( Will they still build apps for an OS supported by a failing company ?)

Your thoughts....
    06-16-11 04:15 PM
    No. Not according to Crackberry liveblogging -- expect a "steady stream" of Playbook update and Android Player "later this summer".
    06-16-11 04:22 PM
    Does layoff mean that updates will be delayed ?

Does failing to meet the deadline on the new phones mean more resources will be shifted from playbook to phone dev within RIM?

What about apps from other companies? ( Will they still build apps for an OS supported by a failing company ?)

Your thoughts....
    From CNBC...

"The guidance was just awful. The devices are receiving less shelf space and less support from carriers," said Peter Misek, managing director at Jefferies & Co.

While Misek said that Playbook sales for the first quarter were pretty good, he was disappointed by handset sales. His key question for the company is when it will launch QNX phones.

"People are not waiting. They're going to other platforms," he said. "I would expect there's going to be significant layoffs. This is not good."
    06-16-11 04:24 PM
    "Fiscal 2012 has gotten off to a challenging start," Jim Balsillie, RIM's co-CEO, said in a prepared statement.

Understatement of the year. Can't believe idiots like this are still running this company
    06-16-11 04:30 PM
    I believe RIM are 85% of the way there with the Playbook. Which probably isn't good enough in this impatient, gadget driven world but the truth is they probably aren't that far off making the Playbook a really useful, practical tablet for a lot of people. Most of the reviews criticised it for being unfinished more than anything else. Having said that, the extra 15% needs to be made up sooner rather than later if they are going to turn this around. Will they achieve it? I hope so cos I like what i have seen so far and BlackBerry users are generally pretty loyal. If not, my next phone is one of those nice new HTC androids with a proper keyboard on. Of course, I would much prefer it to be a 9900 )
    Last edited by ODAAT; 06-16-11 at 05:31 PM.
    06-16-11 05:28 PM
    I just hope the layoffs are the managers who mismanaged the resources and not the excellent tech people. Cleaning house is good.
    06-16-11 05:59 PM
    No. Not according to Crackberry liveblogging -- expect a "steady stream" of Playbook update and Android Player "later this summer".
    Luckily RIM has never missed deadlines or presented foggy details, huh? I mean, this time they are really going to get those updates rolling, I'm sure. Why? Because they said so. Never mind all the other stuff they said in the past... this time it's for real.
    06-16-11 06:04 PM
    Jim said that there is an Adobe update coming next week.

At another point he was asked if he had regrets and said that they could have released playbook when it was done "in September" but that they wanted to get it out earlier.

To me, this suggests that we won't see mail, calendar, etc., until September.

I hope that I am wrong. If so, I see a Touchpad in my future along with a Pre 3.
    06-16-11 06:52 PM
    They've laid out that QNX is the future. Layoffs are going to be in the BBOS side of the house. They'll get OS7 done, keep enough people around to support it for a while, then phase out BBOS all together once QNX is ready for the phone. Plus with all the companies that they have acquired that write software, I would imagine that RIM's older software developers will be let go.
    06-16-11 07:09 PM

At another point he was asked if he had regrets and said that they could have released playbook when it was done "in September" but that they wanted to get it out earlier.

To me, this suggests that we won't see mail, calendar, etc., until September.

I hope that I am wrong. If so, I see a Touchpad in my future along with a Pre 3.
    I've got calendar and email already. Got a glowing upper left corner to alert me. It really is quite a sweet set up. I figure that you are actually impatient about truly important updates like angry pigeons or whatever that time waster is called.
    06-16-11 07:10 PM
    "Fiscal 2012 has gotten off to a challenging start," Jim Balsillie, RIM's co-CEO, said in a prepared statement.

Understatement of the year. Can't believe idiots like this are still running this company
    How about this...
    After consumers and enthusiasts both have been screaming for years "your crap is 5 years out of date on release!!! wake up and get yojr collective a**es back in the game! Start making competitive products!!!", what do we read Lazaridis have the guts to admit?

"RIM realized through their product development that consumer demand had shifted, and as such -- required new hardware and new chip sets to be adapted to the BlackBerry platform in order to stay competitive."

?!?!?!?!
    Thankyou? Keen grasp of the obvious you friggin *****!
    Okay you fanbois that fought us realistic consumers tooth and nail, making every excuse for mediocrity imaginable, now what do you have to say after Lazi-boy "admits" what we have been saying for over 2 years now that you have been denying?

How do you want your crow cooked.... bar b qued or steamed?

Word to lazaridis and ballsillie.... next time pull your fingers out of your ears and listen to what the market is saying before your stock plummets again to historic lows!

Morons....
    kevinnugent and Rooster99 like this.
    06-16-11 07:11 PM
    I've got calendar and email already. Got a glowing upper left corner to alert me. It really is quite a sweet set up. I figure that you are actually impatient about truly important updates like angry pigeons or whatever that time waster is called.
    Well you will be pleased to know that during the call that Jim said that Playbook would not be competitive until it has native email. He's the frickin CEO. I guess that he is a troll, right?
    Rooster99 likes this.
    06-16-11 07:18 PM

Really. Everything they have created and done over the last 20 years and you call them idiots. Too funny. By the way, the hokies suck.
    buwee likes this.
    06-16-11 07:24 PM
    Well you will be pleased to know that during the call that Jim said that Playbook would not be competitive until it has native email. He's the frickin CEO. I guess that he is a troll, right?
    Hey, you said you were going to buy a phone and a tablet. By the time you do that pissed off squabs diversion and native email will be available on the PB. Your complaints come across as ifan/fandroid chirping.
    06-16-11 07:27 PM
    RIM shares are taking a beating in afterhours trading today. Ouch.
    06-16-11 07:29 PM
    I'm really getting tired of all the whining on Crackberry by folks that don't even have a Blackberry. The mods need to do a better job of screening them out. I'm spending less and less time here and more on other sites like BerryReview where I don't have to listen to iFans spew their verbal diahrea.

RIMM is in the midst of a HUGE transformation. Moving from one platform that the competition still hasn't caught up on the important things like always on/available email to one with more power than anything the competition is even contemplating 5 years out is going to difficult. If the worst they come through this with is a couple of quarters where their revenues only GREW 16% with gross margins at 44%.. thats pretty damn impressive by any standard.

They've laid an excellent foundation with the PlayBook and the fact they are putting the BB OS7 on top of it (not to mention Android), indicates to me that they'll succeed in spades. You haters have fun with your iToys and Droids but let us enjoy the devices that actually make us productive.
    06-16-11 07:29 PM
    From CNBC...
    When will RIM learn that QNX won't save their phone sales. We live in a touchscreen world. While BlackBerry users love the physical keyboard, it's rapidly becoming a dinosaur.

That's why I love the Torch. It offers both.
    06-16-11 07:31 PM
    When will RIM learn that QNX won't save their phone sales. We live in a touchscreen world. While BlackBerry users love the physical keyboard, it's rapidly becoming a dinosaur.

That's why I love the Torch. It offers both.
    I disagree. One of the biggest selling points for me with the 9900 is that beast of a keyboard. But I actually do enjoy typing on my playbook which surprised me.
    dosto, thschneider and dcburke789 like this.
    06-16-11 07:36 PM
    RIM shares are taking a beating in afterhours trading today. Ouch.
    = buying opp.

You have to be aware of how the bourses work and their purpose. If I had the nads, I would have shorted RIMM today despite the fact that I believe QNX to be the leading mobile OS in the segment. Some folks made big money today off RIMM's drop. Some fund managers have to scramble to make it look they are in the know. Momentum everywhere and money to be made.
    06-16-11 07:42 PM
    WOW! An Adobe update, possibly maybe next week.

That's it. I'm switching platforms and getting a playbook.

Posted from my iPhone at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-11 07:45 PM
    = buying opp.

You have to be aware of how the bourses work and their purpose. If I had the nads, I would have shorted RIMM today despite the fact that I believe QNX to be the leading mobile OS in the segment. Some folks made big money today off RIMM's drop. Some fund managers have to scramble to make it look they are in the know. Momentum everywhere and money to be made.
    If you bought today... you instantly lost a sizable chunk-o-change.
    06-16-11 07:46 PM
    I'm really getting tired of all the whining on Crackberry by folks that don't even have a Blackberry. The mods need to do a better job of screening them out. I'm spending less and less time here and more on other sites like BerryReview where I don't have to listen to iFans spew their verbal diahrea.

RIMM is in the midst of a HUGE transformation. Moving from one platform that the competition still hasn't caught up on the important things like always on/available email to one with more power than anything the competition is even contemplating 5 years out is going to difficult. If the worst they come through this with is a couple of quarters where their revenues only GREW 16% with gross margins at 44%.. thats pretty damn impressive by any standard.

They've laid an excellent foundation with the PlayBook and the fact they are putting the BB OS7 on top of it (not to mention Android), indicates to me that they'll succeed in spades. You haters have fun with your iToys and Droids but let us enjoy the devices that actually make us productive.
    Unfortunately the first major cleaning up of the trolls happened just over a month ago and the one month bans people received ended and some of the those clowns apparently have a lot of pent up anti-RIM feelings to get out. Mods should have just perma-banned.
    buwee likes this.
    06-16-11 07:47 PM
    WOW! An Adobe update, possibly maybe next week.

That's it. I'm switching platforms and getting a playbook.

Well said...I heard in a few months you get notifications and messaging...it's like christmas again.
    06-16-11 07:53 PM
    Unfortunately the first major cleaning up of the trolls happened just over a month ago and the one month bans people received ended and some of the those clowns apparently have a lot of pent up anti-RIM feelings to get out. Mods should have just perma-banned.
    You mean like that ***** Bodisaffa above with 1408 posts and ZERO thanks? Calling them trolls is too good for them... they must have *****'s the size of pencil erasers to spend so much time on a forum for a device they don't even own trying to convince themselves that their pitiful existence has meaning. I don't understand how they don't get that everyone is laughing at them and their immaturity but then I've never been a mentally handicapped Eunuch so who knows what go through their little brains.
    grover5 and buwee like this.
    06-16-11 07:59 PM
    Ah. Nothing like a spot of fishing.

06-16-11 08:03 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD