My screen recently stopped working on my PlayBook so I sent it to RIM to get fixed. After I sent it in, they turned around and said it wouldn't be covered under warranty and I had to pay $299 plus tax to get it fixed. They said the lcd screen was cracked. I was shocked by this because my PlayBook had been taken care of very well and didn't even have a scratch on it. When I phoned them back to tell them just that, they said I had three options: 1) pay the money, 2) have it shipped back as is, 3) or they would dispose of it.

My wife had a similar problem with her BlackBerry phone. It started acting up, so she sent it in and they said it was water damage. It had never been exposed to water and the tabs by the battery were still white.

I have stuck it out with RIM because they are big employer in my region, but after this, I have really lost faith. Has anyone out there been able to resolve such an issue?
    10-25-11 09:03 PM
    umm ask for proof ? where and how the screen is cracked?
    10-25-11 09:14 PM
    umm ask for proof ? where and how the screen is cracked?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I'm in the process of doing that. They are supposed to get back to me. I took pictures of my PlayBook before I sent it away. When this happened to my wifes phone, they first said they had pictures showing corrosion, but when we asked to see them they said they didn't have pictures afterall. When we got the phone back without be fixed, it had all kinds of dust behind the screen that wasn't there before it left. So right now I'm not to confident in their customer service.

10-25-11 09:26 PM
    My screen recently stopped working on my PlayBook so I sent it to RIM to get fixed. After I sent it in, they turned around and said it wouldn't be covered under warranty and I had to pay $299 plus tax to get it fixed. They said the lcd screen was cracked. I was shocked by this because my PlayBook had been taken care of very well and didn't even have a scratch on it. When I phoned them back to tell them just that, they said I had three options: 1) pay the money, 2) have it shipped back as is, 3) or they would dispose of it.

My wife had a similar problem with her BlackBerry phone. It started acting up, so she sent it in and they said it was water damage. It had never been exposed to water and the tabs by the battery were still white.

I have stuck it out with RIM because they are big employer in my region, but after this, I have really lost faith. Has anyone out there been able to resolve such an issue?
    talk with Smakberry - there is a huge thread somewhere in here on what they called a water damage issue that finally got resolved.

could it have been damaged in shipping? Was it insured?

Feel for ya...
    10-25-11 09:28 PM
    I don't know. The box I sent it in to RIM was well cushioned.

10-25-11 09:34 PM
    RIM denied my warranty yesterday, screen on our Playbook began showing a crack as my son was tapping on it showing me a web site. Playbook rarely used and only by myself in the past month as a new laptop purchased for the kids-I was taking latest SW update and handed the Playbook to my son to show me a web site. No mark anywhere on this Playbook,it has never fallen or anything like that. I know fans will doubt that statement if their own Playbook screen is working fine.....it can and did happen.

Got the same response from RIM, $250+ for repair....we paid $550+ for this 16gb, and a rapid charger, cable, $50 case, Apps....about $750 total.

I am considering filing in small claims court against RIM so would like to hear from others RIM has cheated with warranty denials. In my case the initial customer service Rep tried to "mistakingly" repeat that I had said the Playbook had fallen etc, when I mentioned the call was recorded she dropped that....makes me think there is a pattern of warranty denial for legit claims.
    12-14-11 08:05 AM
    Aren't the repairs done by a third party? Never know what kind of knuckle heads are tearing your stuff apart.

In your case mell is seems like a he said she said. Probably not much you can do about it. I read about people getting new digitizers installed in local mobile shops.
    12-14-11 10:04 AM
    This doesn't surprise me. The PB is a quality tablet but RIM is becoming more disorganized on a weekly basis.

Is it possible they confused your tablet with another? Perhaps you could verify the serial numbers?
    12-14-11 10:42 AM
    This level of customer no-service is exactly why I fired RIM. I feel for you, OP. It's a shame RIM can't get their act together on the service/support side of things. I wouldn't accept this from any company.
    menaknow likes this.
    12-14-11 11:42 AM
    it sux that screens are cracked. could have happened during shipping.

however ive never heard of any warranty that covers cracked screens? whos warranty does out of curiousity?
    12-14-11 01:56 PM
    Just the anti-RIM band wagon rolling through.
    bgriff25 likes this.
    12-14-11 02:16 PM
    Sorry to hear of your experience, but my own experience with RIM's warranty was just the opposite. About a month ago, my Playbook stopped charging; I noticed the connector for the power supply was a bit wobbly. Once it powered down completely, I was unable to get it to recharge. I do not have the extended warranty and was well outside the three month original purchase warranty. I thought for sure RIM would charge me for both tech support and repairs, but they provided me with full support, free shipping and a replacement device all within a week's time.
    Chaddface likes this.
    12-14-11 02:50 PM
    To OP... sorry to hear about the negative experience.

I had similar experience (not as serious as yours) with RIM as well in Aug where my PB was bricked, no power, blinking lights, screen freezing, video stuttering and my escalation to ask to speak to a manager helped.

My three months free customer service was extended, they replaced my PB with a new one. They followed up to ensure I was happy with the new replacement. I told the manager that if I am being served well, I will recognize RIM's efforts publicly to my friends, colleagues etc. At that time, I have not bought any extended warranty yet.

After a nice RIM recovery, I then bought a 2 year extended warranty.
    12-14-11 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD