As this email I just received illustrates, RIM continues to lie about the reason it cancelled Playbook 16GB orders during the Black Friday fire sale. Pretty clear they just accepted a lot more orders than they (then) had stock for, and chose to cancel rather than issuing rain checks. But, instead of admitting the truth, RIM has trotted out a barrel of excuses. The cancellation email told me my transaction was "high risk." My email pointed out that they had confirmed the order and also cleared the transaction with my bank--the money even came out of my account briefly. Now, RIM says the order was cancelled because of "fraudulent promo codes." The problem with this one is that I had not used any "promo codes"--my order was plain vanilla, with absolutely nothing wrong on my end. Disappointing. I don't particularly blame RIM for running out of stock. I even like my playbook (I bought one locally). But, I can't say I have much confidence in RIM as a company, or in any of its promises concerning continued support for the Playbook, given the way RIM has been acting...

"S2G Support Services [email protected]
    2:22 PM (1 hour ago)
    to me

Your order was canceled due to some fraudulent promo codes during the time of your purchase. If you would like to reinstate your purchase, please call us at 88-805-6789. I am very sorry for the confussion.

Thank you,
    xxxxx
    Order Support
    ShopBlackberry.com
    "
    Snyder81 and cogsinister like this.
    12-08-11 06:52 PM
    As this email I just received illustrates, RIM continues to lie about the reason it cancelled Playbook 16GB orders during the Black Friday fire sale. Pretty clear they just accepted a lot more orders than they (then) had stock for, and chose to cancel rather than issuing rain checks. But, instead of admitting the truth, RIM has trotted out a barrel of excuses. The cancellation email told me my transaction was "high risk." My email pointed out that they had confirmed the order and also cleared the transaction with my bank--the money even came out of my account briefly. Now, RIM says the order was cancelled because of "fraudulent promo codes." The problem with this one is that I had not used any "promo codes"--my order was plain vanilla, with absolutely nothing wrong on my end. Disappointing. I don't particularly blame RIM for running out of stock. I even like my playbook (I bought one locally). But, I can't say I have much confidence in RIM as a company, or in any of its promises concerning continued support for the Playbook, given the way RIM has been acting...

"S2G Support Services [email protected]
    2:22 PM (1 hour ago)
    to me

Your order was canceled due to some fraudulent promo codes during the time of your purchase. If you would like to reinstate your purchase, please call us at 88-805-6789. I am very sorry for the confussion.

Thank you,
    xxxxx
    Order Support
    ShopBlackberry.com
    "
    What did they say when you called to "reinstate" your order?

I ask because I was in the whole Amazon/OnSale HP Touchpad debacle. Amazon/OnSale canceled my order due to who knows what. (There was speculation that OnSale held inventory for their customers first and didn't fulfill Amazon orders so that they wouldn't have to pay Amazon store-front fees.) Anyway, a month later, after OnSale was deluged with angry Amazon customer complaints, OnSale got more stock and offered them to the original Amazon buyers.

OnSale originally messed up and in the end, made it right. I got my order. From their email, ShopBlackberry sounds like they're trying to make things right.
    Last edited by cbvinh; 12-08-11 at 07:06 PM.
    12-08-11 07:00 PM
    I haven't tried calling, yet (message came today). Maybe I'll do it, out of curiosity to see if they want to give me the $199 price or the current price

At the time of the cancellation, it was impossible to get through by phone, which is why I emailed. The original cancellation email actually suggested re-ordering; and, I believe that was RIM's strategy. That is, cancel all orders for the PB 16GB once oversold; then, when new stock arrived, fill new orders from the website and also those re-placed over the phone. I just don't think it was a very good way to handle the situation--essentially blaming customers, and irritating lots of them with ridiculous excuses. RIM could easily have just told the truth and still cancelled orders with the option to re-order when stock improved, or, given customers a more formal "rain check." My take on why it didn't choose the straight road is that someone thought RIM incurred less legal liability by pointing the finger away from itself in this "breach of contract" situation. Maybe true, but bad PR, and needless, given that RIM was expecting more stock that it was willing to sell at $199.
    12-08-11 07:33 PM
    I haven't tried calling, yet (message came today). Maybe I'll do it, out of curiosity to see if they want to give me the $199 price or the current price
    I hope you do it, just to find out.

At the time of the cancellation, it was impossible to get through by phone, which is why I emailed. The original cancellation email actually suggested re-ordering; and, I believe that was RIM's strategy. That is, cancel all orders for the PB 16GB once oversold; then, when new stock arrived, fill new orders from the website and also those re-placed over the phone. I just don't think it was a very good way to handle the situation--essentially blaming customers, and irritating lots of them with ridiculous excuses. RIM could easily have just told the truth and still cancelled orders with the option to re-order when stock improved, or, given customers a more formal "rain check." My take on why it didn't choose the straight road is that someone thought RIM incurred less legal liability by pointing the finger away from itself in this "breach of contract" situation. Maybe true, but bad PR, and needless, given that RIM was expecting more stock that it was willing to sell at $199.
    Well, that's just speculation. OnSale took a whole month before they announced they had more inventory. Then, you had to log onto their site, enter your original order number (which many people had deleted from their mailbox, which necessitated them to call and clog phone lines again), get an automated new number and place the order with that number.
    Spinalguy likes this.
    12-08-11 07:41 PM
    My ascribing to the company a reasonable motive is speculation.
    12-08-11 08:13 PM
    i decided to cancel my order bc i got tired of dicking around instead i drove 12 miles and picked one up locally new for 212.
    12-08-11 10:54 PM
    i decided to cancel my order bc i got tired of dicking around instead i drove 12 miles and picked one up locally new for 212.
    212 + gas money = ?
    12-08-11 11:06 PM
    212 + gas money = ?
    12 mi + 12 mi return = 24 mi, maybe 1 gallon of gas or about $3-4.

212 + 4 = 216 + instant gratification - buying anxiety

mmason31 likes this.
    12-09-11 01:20 AM
    Why the heck would you write this stupid post when you haven't even contacted them to reinstate your order, as they have asked in their email to you? And your title is very deceiving considering you havent even called them!!!!!! What's wrong with some people? If you have enough time to come in here to b!tch, then you surely have time to call. The first thing I would do after getting that email would be to call them, not go on a forum to seek therapy....unless I had done something fraudulent and did not want to call.... or I had a mental problem.
    alnamvet68 and jesse_h like this.
    12-09-11 02:58 AM
    i lol'd

10 char
    12-09-11 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD