This o.s is the best i used right along side os10 aka osx. I think rim has a great future if they play their cards right.
    beamolite likes this.
    07-30-11 07:52 PM
    LOL they can't make a decent phone or a tablet and you want a laptop from them. Hmmmm, a laptop with no email, bluetooth, spell check. Riiiiight. :rolleyes
    07-30-11 08:07 PM
    This o.s is the best i used right along side os10 aka osx. I think rim has a great future if they play their cards right.
    I totally agree.RIM has a huge shot in the arm thru QNX acquisition.While right now they should be focussing on getting the qnx smartphones out and refine the tablet , may be few years down the line they can bring QNX to laptops.

Or May be make the tablet so powerful that with a large display and bluetooth keyboard it will be the laptop.I think they are headed more in this direction.
    M.Rizk and beamolite like this.
    07-30-11 08:08 PM
    LOL they can't make a decent phone or a tablet and you want a laptop from them. Hmmmm, a laptop with no email, bluetooth, spell check. Riiiiight. :rolleyes
    amen. these guys do NOT need anymore projects. their products may multitask but not their execs.
    07-30-11 08:28 PM
    +1000, I bet its already in early development, we"ll see one within two years!
    One thing is for sure, the haters will be mostly gone once the new phones hit and after the much awaited PlayBook updates. The future is soooo bright for this company.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 07-30-11 at 08:32 PM.
    07-30-11 08:29 PM
    Nothing stopping anyone from installing QNX on a laptop or pc currently.
    Marcel38, jxnb and bquinney like this.
    07-30-11 08:31 PM
    +1000, I bet its already in early development, we"ll see one within two years!
    I love RIM almost as much as the next fangirl, but naw. If it is in development, it will be at least two years behind anything that will be released. :-/

RIM has a full plate. No room for anything else until the other projects have a strong foundation and structure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-11 08:35 PM
    Wow, why hasen't anyone tried it. I got a laptop I would love to give it a try on. Can you wright up a how to..
    07-30-11 08:36 PM
    Wow, why hasen't anyone tried it. I got a laptop I would love to give it a try on. Can you wright up a how to..
    If possible, I would definitely load it as a virtual machine in Parallels 6.0 on my MacBook Pro. That would be way cool!!!
    07-30-11 08:39 PM
    I remember nokia making laptop not so long ago..its a lost cause.
    rim better stick with communication equipment..get all esources to go for qnx implementation at current devices.

Yawnnnnz:-) :-) :-)
    07-30-11 08:45 PM
    Head over to qnx.com and click the downloads tab, you'll find a vmware image amoung other things in there
    07-30-11 08:45 PM
    I love RIM almost as much as the next fangirl, but naw. If it is in development, it will be at least two years behind anything that will be released. :-/

RIM has a full plate. No room for anything else until the other projects have a strong foundation and structure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    OK I agree I guess, all I'm thinking is that RIM must have a group that spends its time figuring out the future products. If they "birthed" a tablet in less than a year whats stopping them from adding a key board, call in it a laptop.
    Once the negative press is gone, due to new phones and QNX updates I believe we are further along than others might.
    I'm not here to argue with others that want to call it the death of RIM, I will just say that this company has way more going for it than some give them credit for. The best place to start is there SOLID foundation.
    07-30-11 08:48 PM
    IMO, I think RIM makes a excellent communication device and should stick with that, this PlayBook has been a "fiasco". Stick to SMARTPHONES
    07-30-11 09:00 PM
    Rnd will always be there.designing wouldn't be that difficult, but implementing the design into a living product required planning, a lot of what ifs and technical limitation of technology and suppliers capability.
    Pb and.qnx is a great idea, but the implementation, from basic design (omitting any control button or track pad, power button,no usb otg etc) to software(incomplete package from email to office apps), to retailing and marketing (professional grade tablet invites to high expectation thus high disappointment, poor control over retailers, no carriers involved on initial launch, etc) and managing product life cycle (updates, applications,pr, etc).

:-) :-) :-)
    07-30-11 09:06 PM
    OK I agree I guess, all I'm thinking is that RIM must have a group that spends its time figuring out the future products. If they "birthed" a tablet in less than a year whats stopping them from adding a key board, call in it a laptop.
    Once the negative press is gone, due to new phones and QNX updates I believe we are further along than others might.
    I'm not here to argue with others that want to call it the death of RIM, I will just say that this company has way more going for it than some give them credit for. The best place to start is there SOLID foundation.
    Exactly. People make it sound like it would be so hard and divert so much attention to do simple things with the TabletOS and OMAP platform. Put the playbook guts in a 10 to 11" clamshell keyboard/touchscreen shell and you have a great little FIPS approved netbook. Put it in a bigger screen with more flash, ports and the OMAP5 platform when available (100% backwards compatible with OMAP4) and you have a FIPS approved laptop. All they need is to get the native PIM and e-mail out, and get an office suite developed, or a MS Office port, and they have a winner. Put it in a AppleTV size box with support for an external camera and a FIPS approved VTC and presentation gateway. The platform has a lot of things that would be easily ported to.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-30-11 09:06 PM
    Like Shao said head over to qnx.com and download the OS, it is free. then partition a space on your harddrive and set a duel OS boot up. But be prepared it is nothing like the playbook's UI and is actually pretty limited UI.

I would not suggest anyone with limited programing or limited linux experience to download it because it will not be much help to you and just take up room on your harddrive.
    07-30-11 09:18 PM
    IMO, I think RIM makes a excellent communication device and should stick with that, this PlayBook has been a "fiasco". Stick to SMARTPHONES
    Long live the "fiasco" then! I just love this thing!
    beamolite and grover5 like this.
    07-30-11 09:22 PM
    omitting any control button or track pad
    So a touch screen device is supposed to have buttons? Wonder if you'll feel that way when Stevie makes em get rid of it like he wanted to do on iPad2 and go all gesture. They only thing they should have done is make displays that have some instructions on how simple the gestures are and make retailers put them out.

power button
    Really I think I've had to use the power button once or twice in over 90 days

no usb otg
    It's supported in hardware, just needs a software update to enable. Also don't see many other devices with this, or USB ports for that matter!

to software(incomplete package from email to office apps), to retailing and marketing (professional grade tablet invites to high expectation thus high disappointment, poor control over retailers, no carriers involved on initial launch, etc) and managing product life cycle (updates, applications,pr, etc).
    Finally a valid complaint, though you and many others I think are now serving up the overly beaten dead horse for dinner now. The lack of releasing these items and the marketing is what has hurt the platform. More so the former. Once they get the native PIM and e-mail, combined with the recent FIPS approval will get sales going on the government side and spur more development.
    07-30-11 09:22 PM
    RIM has their plate full now trying to get forward momentum going, but I would love to see a RIM laptop AND desktop computer in the future.
    beamolite likes this.
    07-30-11 09:29 PM
    Name me one laptop that has email or spellcheck. Many laptops don't have bluetooth either. I'm so tired of the email complaint. I can access email on my Playbook through bridge or just check my gmail on it.
    07-30-11 09:30 PM
    Who said touchscreen tablets can't have buttons?
    Buttons are helpful. Its easier to browse on torch having trackpad, compared to browsing on palm pre 2.
    Buttons, be it hardware or haptic, will help. Just like call, power, message button s in any bb phones.
    Have clean bezel may appear aesthetically correct, clean nice and tidy but it also means more acrobatic swyping gestures. Back button anyone?
    :-) :-) :-)
    07-30-11 09:38 PM
    though not a full fledged OS like Windows or Mac but I envision them making a OS for device like Motorola's webtop that transforms your phone into a capable laptop for lighter needs like document editing, browsing and media needs.
    07-30-11 09:38 PM
    There are tons if iPad cases with built in keyboards that turn the iPad into a 'laptop', something like this for the Playbook is all you need.
    07-31-11 09:35 AM
    If they "birthed" a tablet in less than a year whats stopping them from adding a key board, call in it a laptop.
    Unfortunately it was a premature birth.

Exactly. People make it sound like it would be so hard and divert so much attention to do simple things with the TabletOS and OMAP platform.
    I think people assume what RIM's working on must be very difficult because presumably, if what RIM were doing were easier, the features people asking or would be done already.
    07-31-11 09:57 AM
    That's IF there's a x86 version of it, the current QNX is ARM.
    07-31-11 10:13 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD