If they expand it, there is no incentive to get a phone. The phone costs more than the PlayBook.
    they could cripple it. basic remote on android. full remote using a blackberry.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-02-12 04:52 PM
    So you can control CERTAIN apps with your phone... but RIMs ability to control THE ENTIRE DEVICE is not revolutionary?

Do you know the definition of the word 'revolutionary':
    "a revolutionary is someone who supports abrupt, rapid, and drastic change"

so... it is revolutionary
    Even though I wanna agree with you... The change wasn't rapid lol remember "Coming Soon..."

But then again, rapid is realtive
    03-02-12 04:53 PM
    Its neither a revolutionary nor unique feature... Its just a simple implementation of the Bluetooth protocol.

I have apps on my Android tablet I can control with my Android phone. I play games on my ipad using a Wii remote or an iphone as a remote. A samsung Phone can control a Samsung TV...

If anything RIM is kinda behind the competition in implementing it.

I assume the reason it can SEEM like a revolutionary or unique feature is because it hasnt really caught on yet. For a very simple reason... A tablet is created to be used with one hand, while the user holds it in the other hand. Hence the situations in which you need a remote are kinda rare. Its kind of as if a car manufacturer introduced a square stearing wheel, to be mounted on top of the regular steering wheel, lol!

However, OP has a really good point! Apple sells remotes for 30-40$ or thereabouts, and if RIM made a simple little remote, it could be made very cheaply, and sold at hefty margins.
    LOL I didn't even read the thread before my previous post.

I'm also not sure there is a way a tablet is suppose be used. Many people I'm sure have different ideas on that one.
    03-02-12 04:59 PM
    So you can control CERTAIN apps with your phone... but RIMs ability to control THE ENTIRE DEVICE is not revolutionary?

Do you know the definition of the word 'revolutionary':
    "a revolutionary is someone who supports abrupt, rapid, and drastic change"

so... it is revolutionary
    No, I can't just control certain apps from my phone, I can also play movies from my Android phone, and have them play/display on my tablet. I can use my Wii remote or PS3 controller to control it, for that matter I can delete or copy files ON my tablet from my phone, or copy files from my phone to my tablet. Heck, I can copy files using my Android phone from my computer to my tablet.

Again, there is NOTHING revolutionary about this, unless you've slept under the proverbial tech-rock for the last couple of years. Its a simple implementation of Bluetooth.
    03-02-12 05:49 PM
    If you think this feature will bring people in, I have a Bridge To Nowhere to sell you. Thunderbuck mentions (IMHO) some compelling uses, but to sit down at home controlling a 7-inch tablet -- lauded as possessing the perfect handheld -- size with ANOTHER restricted handheld?

Again, great feature, cool for showing stuff off, but do not be surprised that it doesn't make people swoon. Bridge is a better collaborative tool to me.

I'd take Southlander's suggestion though. Makes sense.
    03-02-12 06:07 PM
    LOL I didn't even read the thread before my previous post.

I'm also not sure there is a way a tablet is suppose be used. Many people I'm sure have different ideas on that one.
    Good point.

No, I can't just control certain apps from my phone, I can also play movies from my Android phone, and have them play/display on my tablet. I can use my Wii remote or PS3 controller to control it, for that matter I can delete or copy files ON my tablet from my phone, or copy files from my phone to my tablet. Heck, I can copy files using my Android phone from my computer to my tablet.

Again, there is NOTHING revolutionary about this, unless you've slept under the proverbial tech-rock for the last couple of years. Its a simple implementation of Bluetooth.
    Couldn't you do similarly (though not as smoothly) with something like Teamviewer?
    03-02-12 06:10 PM
    How about a system similar to the remote for the WDTV devices. It's a webservice that basically reflects the remote control, I can control my WDTVLiveHub from my PB or iPad.
    03-02-12 06:15 PM

Is this what you're talking about?

HOW TO: Control your Android Tablet (or Android Phone) from your PC or other Android
    03-02-12 06:19 PM
    Really?!?!? Someone's been eating Appleroids again! Why does Apple make an iPad that I can control with my BB? Get it?!?!?
    03-02-12 06:24 PM
    I am clearly late to this thread, but the Android app BlueInput makes the phone act like a bluetooth hid device. So, to the PB it looks like any other mouse and keyboard. It does require you have root on the android device as it uses low level bluez system calls which are not permitted otherwise. The app works with anything that supports bt hid inputs and I have successfully used it with a computer, ps3, as well as the PlayBook. (There are a lot of similar apps on Market but they are not Hid and require the controlled device run some type of agent, limiting their usefulness)

For the Playbook, its useful in the same ways any bt mouse/kbd would be. I use it whenever I have pb connected to a tv and it's great. Is it a killer feature? The PB support for hid devices is excellent, but android 3+ has similar support. Ironically, I think the BB phone app is much more compelling as it does not need special access if it emulates hid devices, allowing it to be used with any device. Alas, I do not have a BB phone to test with, but having a portable mouse and keyboard is pretty cool.
    07-04-12 04:02 AM
    Control a Playbook from an Android phone? Why? When you can already use a blackberry phone?

Otherwise no trackpad or keyboard.

Control an android tablet from a blackberry phone?

Now that makes more sense.

Added trackpad and keyboard.

Think:

One handed remote. If you're going to use two hands, two fingers and be forced to pinch and zoom, just do it on the tablet.
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-06-12 at 09:48 PM.
    07-06-12 08:12 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD