Why? Because its an exclusive feature (for the time being) and it could encourage some of the millions of iphone/droid folks to buy a Playbook.

Take what is already a revolutionary feature and expand it. No one is doing that.
    03-02-12 09:03 AM
    What if they are hoping it will encourage others to shift to BB phones?
    03-02-12 09:44 AM
    And Playbooks. Technically if those devices support Bluetooth HID then they should already be able to be controlled by Bridge Remote. And I doubt they (RIM) planned it that way.
    03-02-12 09:49 AM
    If they expand it, there is no incentive to get a phone. The phone costs more than the PlayBook.
    03-02-12 09:56 AM
    Its neither a revolutionary nor unique feature... Its just a simple implementation of the Bluetooth protocol.

I have apps on my Android tablet I can control with my Android phone. I play games on my ipad using a Wii remote or an iphone as a remote. A samsung Phone can control a Samsung TV...

If anything RIM is kinda behind the competition in implementing it.

I assume the reason it can SEEM like a revolutionary or unique feature is because it hasnt really caught on yet. For a very simple reason... A tablet is created to be used with one hand, while the user holds it in the other hand. Hence the situations in which you need a remote are kinda rare. Its kind of as if a car manufacturer introduced a square stearing wheel, to be mounted on top of the regular steering wheel, lol!

However, OP has a really good point! Apple sells remotes for 30-40$ or thereabouts, and if RIM made a simple little remote, it could be made very cheaply, and sold at hefty margins.
    03-02-12 09:59 AM
    If they expand it, there is no incentive to get a phone. The phone costs more than the PlayBook.
    ONce a 3G phone comes out it will be the same money for RIM, phone or tablet. they make money from your contract, and through the app store. Everyone isn't going to buy a blackberry, so why not try to get some iphone guys to buy into your tablet. Thats money from a customer that they would never otherwise get.
    03-02-12 10:00 AM
    Its neither a revolutionary nor unique feature... Its just a simple implementation of the Bluetooth protocol.

I have apps on my Android tablet I can control with my Android phone. I play games on my ipad using a Wii remote or an iphone as a remote. A samsung Phone can control a Samsung TV...

I assume the reason it can SEEM like a revolutionary or unique feature is because it hasnt really caught on yet. For a very simple reason... A tablet is created to be used with one hand, while the user holds it in the other hand. Hence the situations in which you need a remote are kinda rare. Its kind of as if a car manufacturer introduced a square stearing wheel, to be mounted on top of the regular steering wheel, lol!

However, OP has a really good point! Apple sells remotes for 30-40$ or thereabouts, and if RIM made a simple little remote, it could be made very cheaply, and sold at hefty margins.
    What apps on your android tablet do you control with your phone?
    What ipad games do you play with and an iphone as a remote?

DO you have an 'open on' on any of those devices?
    Can you control you type or otherwise control the OS like you can on the PB?

BTW, I'm just asking, I'm not arguing or being defensive. I want to know.
    03-02-12 10:06 AM
    I dont think they should (my opinion) anymore than they should export bbm to other platforms.

Lets keep key attractive features rim has on their products to make them more competitive.

Want to export something to other platforms? Export video chat. If they wont give us skype then lets give out an engine for video chatting to non bb owners.
    03-02-12 10:18 AM
    I think they should and support Windows Phone as well. MS has had no problem releasing what some would consider WP apps to iOS and Android. I would love to be able to remote control my Playbook the way I can control my Xbox with my HD7.
    03-02-12 10:21 AM
    What apps on your android tablet do you control with your phone?
    What ipad games do you play with and an iphone as a remote?

DO you have an 'open on' on any of those devices?
    Can you control you type or otherwise control the OS like you can on the PB?

BTW, I'm just asking, I'm not arguing or being defensive. I want to know.
    As for iPad games, theres a bunch of games where it's an option. I don't have an iphone myself, just an ipad2, but I had a friend try and do it with his iphone in Real Racing, FIFA Soccer and Scrabble.

As for Android (again, I don't have a whole lot of experience using this feature since, well, I have my Android tablet in my lap or hand, lol! Why would I want to use my phone to control it?!?) but if you search for "remote" in the Android Market, you'll get thousands of apps that either have it implemented, or are a dedicated remote control app. VLC and Winamp has it implemented for sure that I know of. Samsung and LG also have their remote control apps available for free on the market.

When you say "open on" I take it you're refering to open a media file and play it on a different device? My Samsung Galaxy has a built in app for that. My Acer Iconia 7 inch tab also have an app for that as I recall, and my HTC phone has that option built into the music player. Wish I could tell you more, but I've never really used it, since I've always thought of it as a "Meh, pretty cool but not very useful" kinda feature. (Though I suppose that if I did a lot of Powerpoint presentations, I'd probably think it was mighty handy to use my Android phone or iPhone as a remote. And I actually thought about getting a Samsung TV when I'm upgrading my Plasma TV, so I can use my Samsung Galaxy as a remote, lol)
    03-02-12 10:42 AM
    Barry u are def on crack there is nothing like this on other phones/tablets. Have u even used the feature?
    03-02-12 10:57 AM
    I don't think hearsay constitutes fact. "I have a friend who.." is rather troll like in nature. Tell you what. When Ios gets out of 3G then maybe I'll listen. But RIM has introduced a lot of things that has never been done before with bb and pb. Call me a fanboy if you like I just see Google and apple copying tech right now.. No real innovation except for law suites. Anywho the remote is for more than just gaming...find out for yourself...don't rely on what your friends says...
    Last edited by kerry6; 03-02-12 at 11:03 AM.
    joski likes this.
    03-02-12 11:00 AM
    I have used my Torch to control my Win XP PC to surf the web and play music. Just do a pairing to any other device that supports HID and have fun!
    03-02-12 01:00 PM
    As for iPad games, theres a bunch of games where it's an option. I don't have an iphone myself, just an ipad2, but I had a friend try and do it with his iphone in Real Racing, FIFA Soccer and Scrabble.

As for Android (again, I don't have a whole lot of experience using this feature since, well, I have my Android tablet in my lap or hand, lol! Why would I want to use my phone to control it?!?) but if you search for "remote" in the Android Market, you'll get thousands of apps that either have it implemented, or are a dedicated remote control app. VLC and Winamp has it implemented for sure that I know of. Samsung and LG also have their remote control apps available for free on the market.

When you say "open on" I take it you're refering to open a media file and play it on a different device? My Samsung Galaxy has a built in app for that. My Acer Iconia 7 inch tab also have an app for that as I recall, and my HTC phone has that option built into the music player. Wish I could tell you more, but I've never really used it, since I've always thought of it as a "Meh, pretty cool but not very useful" kinda feature. (Though I suppose that if I did a lot of Powerpoint presentations, I'd probably think it was mighty handy to use my Android phone or iPhone as a remote. And I actually thought about getting a Samsung TV when I'm upgrading my Plasma TV, so I can use my Samsung Galaxy as a remote, lol)
    A dedicated remote control app does not emulate what Bridge does. iOS and Android do not have the same capabilities as Bridge. Maybe as a standalone app that interfaces with one or two apps, until I connected my 9900 to my PS3 as an input device, I have never seen iOS device or Android do this. If you have encountered this before, you wouldn't be asking why having this, when you hold your tablet in your hand, would be beneficial. I find it extremely useful, and I am not using it only for PPPs.

Oh, and I do not agree with the OP's stance that RIM should create a remote control for any other platform. Sounds like cutting of your nose to spite your face.
    03-02-12 01:08 PM

Wait... if you don't have much experience with controlling your android tab with your android phone why did you seemingly brag about it? To downplay BlackBerry's Remote Control? I'm calling BS
    03-02-12 01:10 PM

Wait says who?... I very much like the fact that I can securely hold my PlayBook in both hands and operate it.
    03-02-12 01:12 PM
    Can anyone see why using a phone to control a tablet may NOT be considered a "killer" feature?

Anyhoo, as for the initial question: why not? I can see merits on both sides of the discussion. I think it may make the PB more attractive to folks who have smartphones on other platforms, but maybe not enough to warrant the work.
    03-02-12 01:39 PM
    Can anyone see why using a phone to control a tablet may NOT be considered a "killer" feature?

Anyhoo, as for the initial question: why not? I can see merits on both sides of the discussion. I think it may make the PB more attractive to folks who have smartphones on other platforms, but maybe not enough to warrant the work.
    You know, when I first heard about BB Remote as an upcoming feature, I thought "WTF? Really? Why would anyone want to do that?". And then I saw the demo video.

Two excellent uses: 1) Presentation control, with the PB hooked up to a projector while the presenter roams around the room (this extends to sharing web content with large groups, etc.) 2) Using HDMI to hook your PB to a home system for media output/web-sharing

Even better, "Send to..." is brilliant.
    03-02-12 01:45 PM
    I'm sorry, but that's kinda like saying the philips should make remote controls that work with Sony tvs. If you want PlayBook and BBM, get them. If you want ios, get apple. Cross platform doesent work because it take away the unique factor that someone is offering.
    03-02-12 01:47 PM
    stop it! rim needs to make 4 things

1. netflix
    2. hulu
    3. skype
    4. tango

if these 4 things are on the playbook, 80% of the complaints stop and it becomes a viable consumer choice.
    03-02-12 01:51 PM
    You know, when I first heard about BB Remote as an upcoming feature, I thought "WTF? Really? Why would anyone want to do that?". And then I saw the demo video.

Two excellent uses: 1) Presentation control, with the PB hooked up to a projector while the presenter roams around the room (this extends to sharing web content with large groups, etc.) 2) Using HDMI to hook your PB to a home system for media output/web-sharing

Even better, "Send to..." is brilliant.
    Oh... if I had both (BB and PB), I'd use the heck out of the feature. It increases the value of the PB, though it is fair to point out that you can do some of the same HDMI/presentation setups on competing smartphones now.

But, is it "killer" enough to pull Mr A. Joe in?
    03-02-12 01:56 PM
    :::

I need the Remote App on iOS to Playbook is because................
    PlayBook do not have Chinese Hand Writing IME...
    RIM, Where is our Chinese Hand Writing IME...????????

:::
    03-02-12 03:02 PM
    Oh... if I had both (BB and PB), I'd use the heck out of the feature. It increases the value of the PB, though it is fair to point out that you can do some of the same HDMI/presentation setups on competing smartphones now.

But, is it "killer" enough to pull Mr A. Joe in?
    Apple made Siri "Killer" and pulled in many Joes because of this "killer" feature. If Siri is killer, then Remote Control is a 9/11 TERRORIST... marketing does wonders... or maybe it's just the bitten apple symbol that does wonders for devices...
    03-02-12 04:43 PM
    Why would they do that? Don't most iphone and android fans think it is a stupid feature and can already be done?
    joski likes this.
    03-02-12 04:45 PM

So you can control CERTAIN apps with your phone... but RIMs ability to control THE ENTIRE DEVICE is not revolutionary?

Do you know the definition of the word 'revolutionary':
    "a revolutionary is someone who supports abrupt, rapid, and drastic change"

so... it is revolutionary
    03-02-12 04:49 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD