Engadget is reporting the PB will eventually get native email and calandar.

BlackBerry PlayBook FAQ confirms native email, calendar and contacts apps, just not at launch -- Engadget

They've had 8 (?) months since announcing this thing and they're gonna release it unfinished? How is this supposed to appeal to corpororate companies when it doesnt have basic email and calandar. For those who hate reading email and making appointments, this tablet is for you! I'm happy they've officially addressed the issue though and that we'll eventually get it.
    Last edited by gokart3; 03-29-11 at 02:29 PM.
    03-29-11 02:23 PM
    Yea this has been known for a minute.

It will appeal to a lot of corporate companies because most of them utilize BBs, and with the bridge, the PB doesn't need a native email/calendar app. For the rest of us, we will have to use third-party programs to satisfy our need for an email and calendar app. Not a big deal, just a little awkward when comparing it to every other platform out that comes with a native email/calendar app.
    Last edited by avt123; 03-29-11 at 02:27 PM.
    03-29-11 02:25 PM
    Yea this has been known for a minute.

It will appeal to a lot of corporate companies because most of them utilize BBs, and with the bridge, the PB doesn't need a native email/calendar app. For the rest of us, we will have to use third-party programs to satisfy our need for an email and calendar app. Not a big deal, just a little awkward when comparing it to every other platform out that comes with a native email/calendar app.
    Not a big deal, but not exactly what you would expect from the company that lives and dies by its superior e-mail functionality.
    03-29-11 02:37 PM
    Not a big deal, but not exactly what you would expect from the company that lives and dies by its superior e-mail functionality.
    i think they took the view (right or not) that you cant push to a device that isnt connected. wifi only devices wont always be connected, so from that its not a huge deal. thats only in my opinion of course, some people say different, but i get my emails on my phone, so i dont see the loss
    03-29-11 02:42 PM
    i think they took the view (right or not) that you cant push to a device that isnt connected. wifi only devices wont always be connected, so from that its not a huge deal. thats only in my opinion of course, some people say different, but i get my emails on my phone, so i dont see the loss
    Agreed.

Enterprise users -> bridge with their BB.

Consumer users -> web browser (as most are doing on their PC already)

There is too much fuss about this for no reason.
    03-29-11 03:03 PM
    They took their approach because it was easier and faster to get the bridge working than to come up with something that would work with the BES backend of things and didn't have to worry about security

Just because the device isn't always connected doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to get mailed pushed to it. If done right when it is connected the read messages will show up in the inbox as read so no biggie.

As for wanting an email app vs web browser. I still haven't seen anyone say they rather use a web browser than the bridge email app.

The device is suppose to be portable and on the go for business users that mean emails and calendar also. An app is design to make use in this case of the 7" screen and layout to make response simple and quick. Using a web browser won't be as nice.

For the casual user no problem but for the business minded it's a feature that should have been included and all businesses don't run BES. Had a manager come to me today and say he's done with his blackberry.

Oh well I'm going to wait and see who develops something that talks to exchange.
    03-29-11 03:13 PM
    The comments posted on Engadget are some of the strongest I've seen what a public relations nightmare.
    03-29-11 03:16 PM
    The comments posted on Engadget are some of the strongest I've seen what a public relations nightmare.
    Engadget is a place that shelters the most ferocious RIM haters.

Just because the device isn't always connected doesn't mean it shouldn't be able to get mailed pushed to it.
    Right but it renders that feature less important.

As for wanting an email app vs web browser. I still haven't seen anyone say they rather use a web browser than the bridge email app.
    For corporate, you would want bridge email, which is available on th PB. For consumers accessing their Gmail or Hotmail, they use the web browser. (I actually find the Mobile Gmail from the web better than the email client on my iPod Touch.)

The device is suppose to be portable and on the go for business users that mean emails and calendar also. An app is design to make use in this case of the 7" screen and layout to make response simple and quick. Using a web browser won't be as nice.
    As mentionned, for business users, they have bridge email/PIM. You'd probably say "Well, what about the business users without BB?" You have a point but it's alright that the PB can't please everyone the first time around, as long as they make sure to please the BB owners.
    Last edited by Intosh; 03-29-11 at 03:33 PM.
    03-29-11 03:21 PM
    What, like this?

meske1 4 minutes ago in reply to AngryOaf
    This things as useless as an iPad.
    03-29-11 03:27 PM
    Engadget is reporting the PB will eventually get native email and calandar.

BlackBerry PlayBook FAQ confirms native email, calendar and contacts apps, just not at launch -- EngadgetFor those who hate reading email and making appointments, this tablet is for you! I'm happy they've officially addressed the issue though and that we'll eventually get it.
    Simplifying your life!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 03:32 PM
    Agreed.

Enterprise users -> bridge with their BB.

Consumer users -> web browser (as most are doing on their PC already)

There is too much fuss about this for no reason.
    I see what you are saying, but a tablet is not a PC, and many people see it as a "smartphone" like device, but larger. Apps are still more convenient for many than the web browser. I do not think it is a big deal, so I can see both sides of the argument.
    03-29-11 03:33 PM
    A couple years ago I had 3 ways of getting my email. Work desktop and Home Laptop both set up POP3 to Outlook to receive work e-mail. I also had a Treo that received my email. What huge pain to try to remember what e-mail I had read, replied to, etc.

Why people would want to complicate things is beyond me. In my opinion RIM took the approach in the same way. "We don't complicate email on our phones why would we try to do it on our Tablet?"

And I don't see the value of web based e-mail when Outlook (or the like) does so much more.

BTW, on another forum I frequent we post a picture like this:

Because a thread like this already exists.
    03-29-11 03:37 PM

For corporate, you would want bridge email, which is available on th PB. For consumers accessing their Gmail or Hotmail, they use the web browser. (I actually find the Mobile Gmail from the web better than the email client on my iPod Touch.)

As mentionned, for business users, they have bridge email/PIM. You'd probably say "Well, what about the business users without BB?" You have a point but it's alright that the PB can't please everyone the first time around, as long as they make sure to please the BB owners.
    I'd say what about the business users without a BES or BB I think RIM should have included a activesync client and the bridge. They are touting this a business device and there are quiet a few business that use exchange without a BES tied in.

I get what you're saying and I know why RIM with the bridge route. That makes since although I think they should have that figured about by now. They didn't just start down this path yesterday. I just don't think a simple email app should be that hard for a company as big as RIM. I can see them going slow the email because of security for some companies.
    03-29-11 03:45 PM
    I see what you are saying, but a tablet is not a PC, and many people see it as a "smartphone" like device, but larger. Apps are still more convenient for many than the web browser. I do not think it is a big deal, so I can see both sides of the argument.
    Unless of course your Tablet IS a PC. The tablet form factor has been around for a while and despite what apple think apple didn't invent it.

LOL, I still remember when the original ipad was coming out. Everyone thought it was actually going to be a full fledged apple computer but instead it is just a huge ipod touch.
    03-29-11 03:45 PM
    Unless of course your Tablet IS a PC. The tablet form factor has been around for a while and despite what apple think apple didn't invent it.

LOL, I still remember when the original ipad was coming out. Everyone thought it was actually going to be a full fledged apple computer but instead it is just a huge ipod touch.
    Well yea. This is not a Windows based tablet. It has an OS on it made for mobility (not saying that Windows can't be used for mobile use- netbooks/laptops). It will be on smartphones as well, which will have a native email app.

I dunno. I just find viewing email on smaller devices more convenient in an app. My friend has an iPad and uses the mail app still, and he can load his gmail page in the web browser in a few seconds. If I had the PB, I would download the Gmail app instead of using the browser.To each their own.
    Last edited by avt123; 03-29-11 at 03:53 PM.
    03-29-11 03:48 PM
    Well yea. This is not a Windows based tablet. It has an OS on it made for mobility (not saying that Windows can't be used for mobile use- netbooks/laptops). It will be on smartphones as well, which will have a native email app.

I dunno. I just find viewing email on smaller devices more convenient in an app. My friend has an iPad and uses the mail app still, and he can load his gmail page in the web browser in a few seconds. If I had the PB, I would download the Gmail app instead of using the browser.To each their own.
    That's what I been saying when someone says just use the web browser. For this device to be touted as on the go and business use. An email app is needed to make replying and corresponding via email better. Sure you can use the browser but on a 7" device you're probably going to have to do some pinch and zooming. I don't think some people realize how small a 7" screen is and then trying to use a web layout that was designed around a physical keyboard and mouse where as the app is design with a touch screen in mind and designed to give you the most bang for your buck with the screen size you're using
    03-29-11 04:04 PM
    So, for those who say that it's not a big deal because they use their PC/Laptop/BBphone for email, BBM, Calendar etc.. and that it's not needed on the PB; What exactly is the PB's intended use? An expensive web/media-browser that runs (eventually) somebody else's apps?

I've yet to convince myself a tablet/pad of any type is even worth it when evaluating whether I want to tote around yet another device. If ever I did, it would have to be a stand-alone device. I wouldn't purchase an expensive web-browser that appeared to have a significant reliance on another brand's apps, or an additional device to tether it with, to make it effective/competitive. Especially when it would be simpler to just purchase the other brand that already has it all built in.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 03-29-11 at 05:21 PM.
    03-29-11 05:16 PM
    I'd say what about the business users without a BES or BB I think RIM should have included a activesync client and the bridge. They are touting this a business device and there are quiet a few business that use exchange without a BES tied in.
    You nailed it right here!

There IS email and calender on the PB IF you are a customer of the BB email service.

Don't have a BES or BIS means no blackberry email, what's so difficult or wrong about that? get the gmail app or get a BB subscription, can't have your cake and eat it

03-29-11 05:40 PM
    An email client that supported activesync,yahoo,gmail, those calendar and the bridge would have killed a great deal of the bad press. That give business users and simple consumers the option of getting their email but also takes care of businesses that have a BES and need that additional layer of security.
    03-29-11 06:44 PM
    That's what I been saying when someone says just use the web browser. For this device to be touted as on the go and business use. An email app is needed to make replying and corresponding via email better. Sure you can use the browser but on a 7" device you're probably going to have to do some pinch and zooming. I don't think some people realize how small a 7" screen is and then trying to use a web layout that was designed around a physical keyboard and mouse where as the app is design with a touch screen in mind and designed to give you the most bang for your buck with the screen size you're using
    Exactly. Especially when a company like RIM, who prides themselves in communication can have a native app that allows you to communicate better and more efficiently than a website.
    03-29-11 08:33 PM
    So, for those who say that it's not a big deal because they use their PC/Laptop/BBphone for email, BBM, Calendar etc.. and that it's not needed on the PB; What exactly is the PB's intended use? An expensive web/media-browser that runs (eventually) somebody else's apps?

I've yet to convince myself a tablet/pad of any type is even worth it when evaluating whether I want to tote around yet another device. If ever I did, it would have to be a stand-alone device. I wouldn't purchase an expensive web-browser that appeared to have a significant reliance on another brand's apps, or an additional device to tether it with, to make it effective/competitive. Especially when it would be simpler to just purchase the other brand that already has it all built in.
    The mobility/size of the device with power similar to a laptop and better battery life is my selling point. I'm fine logging in for email and calendar. I will utilize the apps when they become available though if they are good. I should add that with a fully functional flash device I'm not likely to buy many apps. I'm not crazy for paying somebody more money for something I should have had with the product I bought.
    Last edited by D_March; 03-29-11 at 08:48 PM.
    03-29-11 08:41 PM
    That's quite fine...you should also become aware of the mentality that comments on engadget articles...

As far as engadget staff is concerned...the PB commentary has been pretty postitive....the staff is pumped and excited about the PB....they are very excited!!!

As for BGR ....when J Geller was on msn discussing future tabs...he was asked which he prefers with the PB be there along with other tabs...ipad2 was absent yet on topic....he stated," to behonest...I really like the PB"........sorry to burst anyones bubble....PB is gonna be awesome and a hit...peace friends!

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-30-11 at 06:33 AM.
    03-29-11 09:29 PM
    My Facebook conversation with my son:

HomeProfileAccount
    Stephen's Profile � Ed's Profile � Stephen's Wall

Stephen MeyerinkEd Meyerink
    dad, did you hear that the PlayBook is shipping without calendar, contact, or email apps? Are they serious? That's like... the three main apps most Blackberry users use! They're rushing it to market!
    about an hour ago � Like � � See Friendship

Ed Meyerink Yes,it is a problem that is heating up the Crackberry forums as we speak. It is a serious problem that most of us crack heads are having issues with. For most of us early adapters it is not going to phase us.
    19 minutes ago � Like

we'll be using the bridging function which will let us use the palybook as an accessory to access and sync contacts, calendar, and all the email accounts registered to the phone. I currently have 6 different email accounts that come to the phone. The dedicated email aps should appear relatively soon. RIM is known for their email security and I'm assuming email is not secure yet.I'll use the bridge till the apps roll out. For most businesses the bridge offers the safety of not storing important data on the tablet. (remember this is going to be a "professional"tablet). For other users the Playbook roll out will be a huge joke and disappointment. I think most buyers will laugh an not buy one. ( Playbook should be out by next week. I'm also assuming the rush factor for next week is the Xoom $599 which hit the stores Sunday. I told that to mom so I expect to leave the hotel and take a road trip to staples or Best Buy this afternoon. See you Friday.
    03-30-11 07:16 AM
    My Facebook conversation with my son:

HomeProfileAccount
    Stephen's Profile � Ed's Profile � Stephen's Wall

Stephen MeyerinkEd Meyerink
    dad, did you hear that the PlayBook is shipping without calendar, contact, or email apps? Are they serious? That's like... the three main apps most Blackberry users use! They're rushing it to market!
    about an hour ago � Like � � See Friendship

Ed Meyerink Yes,it is a problem that is heating up the Crackberry forums as we speak. It is a serious problem that most of us crack heads are having issues with. For most of us early adapters it is not going to phase us.
    19 minutes ago � Like

we'll be using the bridging function which will let us use the palybook as an accessory to access and sync contacts, calendar, and all the email accounts registered to the phone. I currently have 6 different email accounts that come to the phone. The dedicated email aps should appear relatively soon. RIM is known for their email security and I'm assuming email is not secure yet.I'll use the bridge till the apps roll out. For most businesses the bridge offers the safety of not storing important data on the tablet. (remember this is going to be a "professional"tablet). For other users the Playbook roll out will be a huge joke and disappointment. I think most buyers will laugh an not buy one. ( Playbook should be out by next week. I'm also assuming the rush factor for next week is the Xoom $599 which hit the stores Sunday. I told that to mom so I expect to leave the hotel and take a road trip to staples or Best Buy this afternoon. See you Friday.
    Ed, your son's a smart kid, congrats on raising such an insightful kid!

Seems to me that the PB doesn't play to the typical BB user and I really wonder why they chose to do this. It seems to me, and I think it is conventional wisdom, that the BB is THE e-mail phone and that the iphone or andriod phones are better for just about everything else. Releasing the PB without those 3 apps your son mentions seems crazy to me. Hope it works out for RIM and PB but I am sitting here scratching my head over this issue.
    03-30-11 07:53 AM
    let's cut through this...email and calendar simply weren't ready. microsoft forgot copy and paste. rimm forgot email.
    03-30-11 07:53 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD