07-30-10 01:38 PM
    Hmm. Interesting.
    07-30-10 01:41 PM
    07-30-10 01:47 PM
    The only reason this blogs/media call it "BlackPad" is because RIM bought the domain name but I'm pretty sure the name will be change.
    07-30-10 01:59 PM
    The only reason this blogs/media call it "BlackPad" is because RIM bought the domain name but I'm pretty sure the name will be change.
    Then why would they purchase a domain that would be irrelevant?
    07-30-10 03:25 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/blo...vember-505839/

no it will not take on Apple's tablet....

no it will not take on Android's tablet....

no android's will not take on apple's or RIM's

no Apples will not take on androids or RIMS....

Sooner or later people will learn 3 different platforms. 3 different customer bases.
    07-30-10 03:38 PM
    07-30-10 03:40 PM

Sooner or later people will learn 3 different platforms. 3 different customer bases.
    I agree but at the same time they are all battling for the same market share. RIM is losing market share to both Apple and Google so that would mean that they are direct competitors. 3 years ago, blackberries were great consumer devices but Apple and Android came in to take those consumers away. But I do agree, they are 3 different platforms and you just have to pick the one that fits you life, but at the end of the day they all want each other's market share.
    07-30-10 04:12 PM
    I agree but at the same time they are all battling for the same market share. RIM is losing market share to both Apple and Google so that would mean that they are direct competitors. 3 years ago, blackberries were great consumer devices but Apple and Android came in to take those consumers away. But I do agree, they are 3 different platforms and you just have to pick the one that fits you life, but at the end of the day they all want each other's market share.
    no matter what OS RIM makes, no matter what hardware RIM uses, they will ALWAYS have problems. People want applications more that just BBM, and Vlingo.. .. .. and for what ever reason RIM keeps their SDK and such locked up tight.....

and i'm going to take one step more ... the 9800 that everyone is going goo goo over because it is a touch/QWERTY phone.... HTC had one a while back called the HTC Dual Touch... it's old technology.... http://bit.ly/bZGdlq their reasoning makes no sense to me on this one in the least. i owned one, it was annoying to use, cumbersome and did't feel goods in the hands. If the 9800 is anything like the HTC DT, in the build department... it's not going to do good.

and if the three manufacturers aren't going after each other, they are battling for the market share, why does RIM still continue to make phone with 528Mhrz phones with 256MB of memory.... esp with apple and HTC/Motorola are using phones with 8Gb and 1Ghrz chipsets.
    Last edited by mjneid; 07-30-10 at 04:33 PM.
    07-30-10 04:28 PM
    no matter what OS RIM makes, no matter what hardware RIM uses, they will ALWAYS have problems. People want applications more that just BBM, and Vlingo.. .. .. and for what ever reason RIM keeps their SDK and such locked up tight.....

and i'm going to take one step more ... the 9800 that everyone is going goo goo over because it is a touch/QWERTY phone.... HTC had one a while back called the HTC Dual Touch... it's old technology.... HTC - Products - HTC Touch Dual - Overview their reasoning makes no sense to me on this one in the least. i owned one, it was annoying to use, cumbersome and did't feel goods in the hands. If the 9800 is anything like the HTC DT, in the build department... it's not going to do good.

and if the three manufacturers aren't going after each other, they are battling for the market share, why does RIM still continue to make phone with 528Mhrz phones with 256MB of memory.... esp with apple and HTC/Motorola are using phones with 8Gb and 1Ghrz chipsets.

I fully agree with you. The idea of slider in portrait just looks akward to me. It does look the one of the old HTC phones and I don't see what some are hyped for. But hey, they can like what they want but that thing is hideous. I also agree with you about the apps and hardware stuff. Anyone who can actually take a step back can see that RIM is falling behind Apple and Android. Some always try to say that blackberries are for "real" use and the other phones are toys. Well RIM is trying to integrate some of the same stuff that makes the other devices "toys". For years they made it on the "blackberry" name and right now their stuff just isn't cutting it. I'm not going to get a blackberry for blackberry messenger and push email.
    07-30-10 04:42 PM
    Shouldn't this thread read - RIM Said to Plan Tablet for November to Take on Apple's IPad, more then 6 months later...
    07-30-10 04:47 PM
    it just clicked.. the HTC DT, had a front mount camera and that phone is 3 years old already..... +1 for HTC -1 for RIM.
    07-30-10 04:50 PM
    it just clicked.. the HTC DT, had a front mount camera.... +1 for HTC -1 for RIM.
    RIM will finally add a front camera on their BBs when 3D cameras become the norm on smartphones. lol
    07-30-10 04:52 PM
    I wunder if you'll have to pull the battery every day on the Blackpad?
    07-30-10 05:17 PM
    I wonder if this thing will have "sure-click"?
    07-30-10 05:19 PM

and i'm going to take one step more ... the 9800 that everyone is going goo goo over because it is a touch/QWERTY phone.... HTC had one a while back called the HTC Dual Touch... it's old technology.... HTC - Products - HTC Touch Dual - Overview their reasoning makes no sense to me on this one in the least. i owned one, it was annoying to use, cumbersome and did't feel goods in the hands. If the 9800 is anything like the HTC DT, in the build department... it's not going to do good.

The HTC Dual Touch, had a T9 keyboard not a full Qwerty, BUT HTC did make for Audiovos the PPC 6600
    Audiovox PPC-6600 (HTC Harrier) Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

which really could have been a good phone if it didn't weigh over 200grams and if Windows CE was better. mobile OS's just were not ready for it yet.

I Still believe there is a Market for this type of phone. I don't expect anything earth shattering with this phone, but if it gives me Doc2Go and my excel files scroll smoothly as they do on my 9630, and not grey out as they do on the iOS3. I would be happy with OS5 on the 9800,
    07-30-10 05:51 PM
    BlackPad? Really now?...

I can hear the BB fanboys pre-ordering already.
    07-30-10 06:13 PM

"You know what your problem is Mike? You have no vision... You DO NOT complete me."
    07-31-10 02:31 PM
    The HTC Dual Touch, had a T9 keyboard not a full Qwerty, BUT HTC did make for Audiovos the PPC 6600
    Audiovox PPC-6600 (HTC Harrier) Detailed Specs | Technical Specifications | PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Mobile Device Specifications

which really could have been a good phone if it didn't weigh over 200grams and if Windows CE was better. mobile OS's just were not ready for it yet.

I Still believe there is a Market for this type of phone. I don't expect anything earth shattering with this phone, but if it gives me Doc2Go and my excel files scroll smoothly as they do on my 9630, and not grey out as they do on the iOS3. I would be happy with OS5 on the 9800,

you do know there are two different version of the HTC Dual touch correct. and neither one of them had a traditional 9 button key pad. They were both very much like the 81xx/91xx series.

Still the point is to be made, the designed flopped once before and i'll be surprised if this one doesn't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-10 02:53 PM
    it just clicked.. the HTC DT, had a front mount camera and that phone is 3 years old already..... +1 for HTC -1 for RIM.
    Yeah, except for the fact you have Jobs boasting it like he just invented it, he seems to be pretty good at taking old technology, then using it in the Iphone and coming across like it's another "breakthrough" in technology and takes the credit for it.

The fanbois can shout all they want about how many millions of I4's are still selling, but Jobs will go down in history as the CEO that couldn't come clean about something they *ucked up and that will stick with him for the rest of his career.
    07-31-10 03:21 PM
    you do know there are two different version of the HTC Dual touch correct. and neither one of them had a traditional 9 button key pad. They were both very much like the 81xx/91xx series.

Still the point is to be made, the designed flopped once before and i'll be surprised if this one doesn't.

It might flop,
    I wouldn't bet the farm on the device, though I will open my pocket book and buy it.

I think the idea of the device flopped before because consumers were not yet ready, Just like the Tablet flopped SOO many times when trying to be introduced to the market, technology, and consumers where not yet ready, you'll see tablets really grow over the next 5 years. and I am really hopeful to see the vertical slider with qwerty form factor do as well as the sliders with the 9 button form factor that I see everywhere when it comes to non smartphones.

EDIT:

and to comment on the failure of the Dual Touch, it was a WinMo OS6 device, and WinMo6 was just CRAP! the Dual Touch didn't have a chance.. and Still never had a qwerty keyboard dispite the multiple versions
    Last edited by deRusett; 07-31-10 at 05:22 PM.
    07-31-10 05:16 PM

"You know what your problem is Mike? You have no vision... You DO NOT complete me."
    07-31-10 06:35 PM
    Yeah, except for the fact you have Jobs boasting it like he just invented it, he seems to be pretty good at taking old technology, then using it in the Iphone and coming across like it's another "breakthrough" in technology and takes the credit for it.

The fanbois can shout all they want about how many millions of I4's are still selling, but Jobs will go down in history as the CEO that couldn't come clean about something they *ucked up and that will stick with him for the rest of his career.
    Exactly. Apple slaves, they're worse than sheep with cables attached to their spines :rollseyes:

07-31-10 07:12 PM
    Would this be a 'RIM' "Blackpad" or 'Blackberry' "Blackpad"?

07-31-10 08:47 PM

What about the WebOS tablets and Windows 7 tablets that are likely to show up around the same time?

Personally, outside of the iPad, I think the WebOS and Android tablets are going to be the most successful. Both OSes were created from the ground up to be touch devices. The others are bolt-ons.
    07-31-10 09:24 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD