Yorkshireman. Correct me if I am mistaken but the fact you are stating is that there is not an accurate currency conversion for the U.K. i.e. 1$ = 1� A conversion which does not use daily Cn dollar to Pound conversions. Second, there is however one for the Euro and other currencies.

If this is the case I will be happy to take it up with my Euro M.E.P. While we may not belong to the Euro Exchange we are nonetheless covered by E.U. Restrictive Market Practices.

Besides joining you in writing to R.I.M. I shall take the opportunity to write to a few of the major technology sites such as Pocket Lint, ZD Net, Cnet, Lifehacker BBC at al,. If R.I.M. would like some publicity I will be happy to oblige. I am sure they wil be happy to oblige.

It is worth noting that R.I.M. could possibly argue that they can charge whomever they wish whatever price they want. If they did I would like to know the reasons they use for their financial discrimination.

"He who bangs his head against the wall along gets headache. He who bangs his head against the wall with his friends brings down wall."
    Last edited by Anna Key; 09-16-12 at 04:53 PM.
    esk369 and yorkshireman2 like this.
    09-16-12 04:45 PM
    Here, here!

It just seems such a shame that laws need to be introduced to stop this kind of unethical, or as you so rightly put it, 'immoral behaviour'.

Even though I have been a massive Blackberry fan for years, it worries me that the company I am supporting thinks so little of me that they are willing to overcharge me, and all my fellow country men, by over 30% even after taking taxes into account.

IMHO RIM should be painting itself as the good guy. That way they can win friends and influence people. Charging �10 for a $9.99 app IS immoral in this global world we live in.

Wake up RIM. We're NOT stupid.
    Not familiar with currency exchange but very curios what is the difference of say a 3.99 usd app converted to euros/pounds and just for the record I hope no one took offensive at my tea party joke I have nothing but respect for my friends across the big pond.
    No one should get price gouged for apps equal pricing for all I say.
    09-16-12 04:49 PM
    I remember there was an article saying that RIM had a conversion table for app prices in different currencies. I thought that problem as solved months ago.

On the other hand, the OP should compare prices in other app stores in his country.
    convenor likes this.
    09-16-12 05:10 PM
    OP, 99 US cents app cost
    0.75� at least here in Portugal. Seems legit...

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-16-12 05:18 PM
    On the other hand, the OP should compare prices in other app stores in his country.
    Here are the UK prices for a USD 0.99 app:

Apple: 69p
    Google: Between 60-69p (mostly seem to be 63-64p)
    Amazon: 63p
    RIM: 100p

There is no justification whatsoever for RIM's pricing to be so high in comparison to the competition.
    yorkshireman2 likes this.
    09-17-12 06:31 AM
    So does this mean that a $5 app in Canada will cost 5PhP in the Philippines?
    09-17-12 02:24 PM
    Yorkshireman. Correct me if I am mistaken but the fact you are stating is that there is not an accurate currency conversion for the U.K. i.e. 1$ = 1� A conversion which does not use daily Cn dollar to Pound conversions. Second, there is however one for the Euro and other currencies.

If this is the case I will be happy to take it up with my Euro M.E.P. While we may not belong to the Euro Exchange we are nonetheless covered by E.U. Restrictive Market Practices.

Besides joining you in writing to R.I.M. I shall take the opportunity to write to a few of the major technology sites such as Pocket Lint, ZD Net, Cnet, Lifehacker BBC at al,. If R.I.M. would like some publicity I will be happy to oblige. I am sure they wil be happy to oblige.

It is worth noting that R.I.M. could possibly argue that they can charge whomever they wish whatever price they want. If they did I would like to know the reasons they use for their financial discrimination.

"He who bangs his head against the wall along gets headache. He who bangs his head against the wall with his friends brings down wall."
    I was over in France, Switzerland and Belgium a few weeks back and when checking it seems the US$ and Euro prices are not far out at all. It is the $ to � conversion that has been completely wrong for a long time now.

Not only is there no conversion going on, but the numerical value is actually being rounded up so:

$0.99 = �1
    $4.99 = �5
    $19.99 = �20

Any pressure you can put on via a Euro MP, tech publications on with RIM direct would be much appreciated.

I just can't figure why they'd adopt such a blatantly unfriendly pricing policy against the UK, as if this leaked out into the press (which it could well do) it would seriously damage what little credibility RIM have left.

Everyone (unfortunately) is already moving to the iPhone in their droves, and something like this is just one more nail in the coffin, of what is a major market place for RIM.
    09-17-12 04:06 PM
    Here are the UK prices for a USD 0.99 app:

Apple: 69p
    Google: Between 60-69p (mostly seem to be 63-64p)
    Amazon: 63p
    RIM: 100p

There is no justification whatsoever for RIM's pricing to be so high in comparison to the competition.
    Rich's prices are what I see too.

If Apple, Google and Amazon can have fair pricing then I can't see why RIM want to come across as the bad guys.

Either that, or they just think we're all stupid in the UK ... maybe that's the case
    rich_a likes this.
    09-17-12 04:09 PM
    Not familiar with currency exchange but very curios what is the difference of say a 3.99 usd app converted to euros/pounds and just for the record I hope no one took offensive at my tea party joke I have nothing but respect for my friends across the big pond.
    No one should get price gouged for apps equal pricing for all I say.
    I think it needs to be explained like this.

Let's say that App X on the store costs USD $10.00 and therefore the charge in the UK is �10.00

If on this day I were to travel to the States and wanted to exchange �10 into $ (USD) I would get $16.23 for my efforts.

So what RIM is getting from UK customers for every �10 spent is the $10.00 asking price and a bonus of $6.33, talk about printing money.

It is inexcusable that RIM cannot embed a real time currency exchange into the store considering there are plenty of 3rd party API's out there that already do this for small businesses.

Also I would be very interested to know if devs receive any of the 62.3% surcharge that RIM charges British customers.

Any devs care to let us know?
    esk369 likes this.
    09-17-12 05:14 PM
    Also I would be very interested to know if devs receive any of the 62.3% surcharge that RIM charges British customers.

Any devs care to let us know?
    RIM pays the same percentage of whatever they collect, so yes--some of the 62.3% would be going to the devs. See this post.
    09-22-12 10:05 PM
    @pkcable...

Er, this is a PlayBook thread, I don't own a PlayBook - maybe move this thread somewhere else (apps maybe?) before closing other threads?

(To anyone to whom this post doesn't make sense, another thread of the same nature was closed in 'General Discussion' with all users (PlayBook or not) being directed here)
    09-23-12 12:58 AM
    When I was in London this summer to me it seemed like EVERYTHING was more expensive than here in Canada.

Hotels, food, gas, etc.
    convenor likes this.
    09-23-12 03:13 AM
    @pkcable...

Er, this is a PlayBook thread, I don't own a PlayBook - maybe move this thread somewhere else (apps maybe?) before closing other threads?

(To anyone to whom this post doesn't make sense, another thread of the same nature was closed in 'General Discussion' with all users (PlayBook or not) being directed here)
    Yeah I started the one in the general discussion for the reason I don't have a playbook and a lot of BB users don't also.
    09-23-12 08:11 AM
    When I was in London this summer to me it seemed like EVERYTHING was more expensive than here in Canada.

Hotels, food, gas, etc.
    That was because of the Olympics
    09-23-12 08:11 AM
    The OP is probably right. This thread would be best in general discussion as this disgusting practice by RIM applies to both Playbook AND Blackberry phones.

Hopefully, by moving it to general discussions it might grab everyone's attention and RIM might sit up and listen.
    Delmeister likes this.
    09-23-12 12:45 PM
    The OP is probably right. This thread would be best in general discussion as this disgusting practice by RIM applies to both Playbook AND Blackberry phones.

Hopefully, by moving it to general discussions it might grab everyone's attention and RIM might sit up and listen.

I know! Maybe we need an FB page and get 1000+ likes to make them see!!!

Sent from my CrackBerry 9300 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    Last edited by Nyan_Cat100; 09-23-12 at 03:51 PM.
    09-23-12 03:49 PM
    You can now voice your concern at change.org, please read the following post:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...78#post7638678
    09-24-12 02:42 AM
    Could someone confirm this for me... a wee bit of research is showing UK listed price for Angry Birds RIO as �5.00 ($8.33) whilst it is listed currently in USD as $2.99 making it a whopping extra markup of just under 179% (279% of listed price).
    09-24-12 04:08 AM
    Bigger rip off is paying for an app which turns out to be rubbish and no recourse to refund or complaint. Especially when there are some superb free apps available like air browser and piano and digital spirit level.
    Epub reader is �1, it's very good, but will not play kindle drm books that I paid for. Sideloaded amazon kindle is free and will play kindle books with drm. Figure that.
    09-24-12 05:22 AM
    Bein lazy, I'm sure someone has said this already... When I was in europe this summer ALL app and game prices were adjusted in app world. This may be different in other countries, but I can say 100% FOR SURE that prices WERE adjusted in central europe
    09-24-12 07:03 AM
    Epub reader is �1, it's very good, but will not play kindle drm books that I paid for. Sideloaded amazon kindle is free and will play kindle books with drm. Figure that.
    Research In Motion was Adobe's b***ch when it came to delivering premier applications for the BlackBerry PlayBook. Adobe Reader is a joke and the lack of Adobe Digital Editions for the BlackBerry PlayBook is galling. When I buy ADE DRM'ed content I remove have to use Microsoft Windows to run ADE to "unlock the content and download the actual ebook/epdf" and then resort to circumventing the DRM to read the ebok/epdf on my BlackBerry PlayBook.
    09-24-12 08:55 AM
    Totally agree with OP. RIM also provides second-class customer services to the UK and Europe.
    09-24-12 09:21 AM
    You complain about APP PRICES?!?!!?

Ok friend, here is something for you to complain about. the 32GB PlayBook in Brasil costs R$1.300.

I'll let you do the search and the math.

Apps... Be serious...
    Wow dude that is not cool! I LOVE my pb but there is no f-in way I would pay almost 650 CAD for it. I wouldnt pay that for any tablet period. I feel for ya brother.
    09-24-12 09:48 AM
    Does this pricing only apply to the playbook app prices or does it also apply to the appworld phone prices?
    09-24-12 01:15 PM
    From my personal experience visiting Portugal this summer, almost every app I checked in BB App World as well as PB App World was the correct currency conversion from Canadian Dollars to Euros. I had wanted to check this, as almost everyone complains about the exchange but I did not notice one app where it was priced as simply replacing the dollar sign with the euro sign.

Just putting in my 2 cents.
    09-24-12 01:29 PM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD