View Poll Results: Was RIM right to release an incomplete PlayBook in April 2011?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was a good move by RIM to release a somewhat incomplete PlayBook in April 2011.

101 43.35%
  • RIM should have released the PlayBook when the upcoming features of OS2 were done (February 2012).

132 56.65%
    Maybe you should start a poll thread with those questions?
    Don't actually know how to start one. Feel free however. I promise not to sue you.
    01-16-12 07:33 PM
    The leader of a company purposefully driving down share price and stock holder value to the point the shareholders want to fire you?

To get more stock, that's also down 75%, so you can buy more at the low price while waiting on the unemployment line?

On the strategy that the stock price will rise to pre-crisis level?
    Thats my retort exactly to those who postulate that dumb and dumber are intentionally making stupid decisions in order to begin a share buy-back when the stock price plummets... the assumption is that they KNOW the stock price will rise back. You cant ever know that. Thats the nature of the stock market.
    01-16-12 08:24 PM
    I think that the Playbook would have been received with more fanfare if it were released in 2012 with the email, calendar and contacts, as opposed to last year. But personally, the Playbook has been so awesome for me in the last 10 months. It has literally been in my hands everyday since I bought it at launch.

It would be nice to see this tablet succeed not because Apple is killing the market, but to know that with a botched launch it's still possible to rebound in such a volatile market. Not to mention a volatile time.
    PLEASE tell me, what do you do with your PB every single day? I'm trying to find things to do with it which would make me more productive. (The BB is awesome at that.)

I don't want games or videos. Just being more productive and efficient.

Thanks!
    01-16-12 08:43 PM
    PLEASE tell me, what do you do with your PB every single day? I'm trying to find things to do with it which would make me more productive. (The BB is awesome at that.)

I don't want games or videos. Just being more productive and efficient.

Thanks!
    Well,.sadly enough, the "world's first professional grade tablet" is lacking the features it needs to really qualify for that title (which is what OS 2 is mostly about outside android). There is a calender function but its pretty limited (the native one on the bb phones has all the features but most dont bridge yet), but word to go is nice for document and record keeping (and it does have spell check and suggestions!). Memopad bridges about 100% of the functions, thats good. Outside of that, and the nice web browser, there isnt much yet.

If this frustrates you, join the crowd.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 01-17-12 at 05:40 AM.
    01-17-12 05:38 AM
    Well They cancelled the Stock buy back program which would have increased their % holdings in RIM, so I don't think they purposely tried to knock the stock price down for their own potential gain
    Sadly that in itself caused further devaluation of the stock. Generally institutional investors give a thumbs up when they see a company buying its own stock, so the converse... likewise...

And really right now rim should be buying its own stock.
    01-17-12 05:44 AM
    Well they got out in front of HP and look how that turned out..
    01-17-12 05:52 AM
    I discovered Blackberry and RIM because I liked the little tablet with its cool os, great speakers and clear picture. I have never missed the native email feature but the calender, well I could of used that. Both business and life present challenges at decision time, sometimes you just make the best choice with the information you have and press forward. I would think that the guys at the top debated the release and covered all the known bases, voted, crossed their fingers and went forward. Now we can be armchair quarterbacks and debate the decision to release the unpolished Playbook- hey I have not sat around second guessing my choice, I have sat around enjoying it. Now they say its going to be even better! Double scoop of chocolate icecream for me! cest le vie
    01-17-12 08:19 AM
    Thanks for the discussion, ladies and gentlemen. I thoroughly enjoyed it and there is a wealth of information and consideration that we can draw from the plethora of opinions. Good job Crackers!
    01-17-12 06:06 PM
    Well,.sadly enough, the "world's first professional grade tablet" is lacking the features it needs to really qualify for that title (which is what OS 2 is mostly about outside android). There is a calender function but its pretty limited (the native one on the bb phones has all the features but most dont bridge yet), but word to go is nice for document and record keeping (and it does have spell check and suggestions!). Memopad bridges about 100% of the functions, thats good. Outside of that, and the nice web browser, there isnt much yet.

If this frustrates you, join the crowd.
    I joined the crowd
    I'm considering returning it, or should I wait (for the update)?
    01-17-12 08:20 PM
134 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD