View Poll Results: Was RIM right to release an incomplete PlayBook in April 2011?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was a good move by RIM to release a somewhat incomplete PlayBook in April 2011.

101 43.35%
  • RIM should have released the PlayBook when the upcoming features of OS2 were done (February 2012).

132 56.65%
    Well, then I strongly disagree with half of the members here. What I am saying is that people are too quick to dismiss the fact that Rim did not include some of the most basic features on their devices. This is a red flag! It is a huge oversight that people just are plugging their ears and looking the other way.

It is like buying a Windows 7 pro laptop that does not support Office, Windows Server domain, and other key microsoft products that made microsoft who they are today. It would be ludicrous for MS to release an unfinished product that lacks such basic features with the promise of future updates and it is ludicrous for Rim to do so with the pb. Obviously, it was a costly half a BILLION dollar mistake; yet people would do it all over again and plow forward with the same half baked product....but sold at a cheaper price. That is insane to me. People would make the same costly half a BILLION dollar mistake knowing what they know now.

Think about it this way. If anyone here made their company lose half a billion dollars because of a half baked product, that person would be instantly fired on the spot. Yet, people here are rationalizing and defending these "strategic" moves.
    I just don't understand how people, because they disagree with a particular point feel the need to then dismiss others by saying things like "people are too quick to dismiss the fact that...." etc simply because they've an alternative view point/think otherwise.

I doubt they've been "too quick" to dismiss anything. Or that they are "plugging their ears and looking the other way..."The issues have been debated to death in the forum across numerous threads ever since the Playbook launched - (and personally I feel this poll is another one with plenty of derail potential).

I thought the purpose of a poll was to simply vote with one of the options and see the counts... just don't understand why there's a need to criticise others ("half the members of this forum?") who happen have an alternative view.
    bounce007 likes this.
    01-16-12 08:06 AM
    I fell if they (RIM) were more honest with what the tablet was going to be missing and for how long it probably would not have been that bad, but chopping close to $500 off the price of the tablet when most bought for over 600, well, that was probably the big one.

Regarding the actual poll. It wasn't somewhat incomplete, it was just incomplete.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 01-16-12 at 08:16 AM.
    01-16-12 08:13 AM
    I just don't understand how people, because they disagree with a particular point feel the need to then dismiss others by saying things like "people are too quick to dismiss the fact that...." etc simply because they've an alternative view point/think otherwise.

I doubt they've been "too quick" to dismiss anything. Or that they are "plugging their ears and looking the other way..."The issues have been debated to death in the forum across numerous threads ever since the Playbook launched - (and personally I feel this poll is another one with plenty of derail potential).

I thought the purpose of a poll was to simply vote with one of the options and see the counts... just don't understand why there's a need to criticise others ("half the members of this forum?") who happen have an alternative view.
    It's called a debate, and opening any poll is going to lead to discussions, from people with a differing point of view. Personally, I happen to agree with the poster. I don't see how people think it was a good idea to release a half finished product, to a 1/2 billion dollar loss, and yet would do it all over again.

As I said in another thread. The hardware landscape of tablets hasn't changed much yet, and if RIM had waited until this year to demo it at CES, and then release it in February with 2.0 (which should have been just native software), it would be a completely different landscape. RIM could have avoided all the negative press brought about by the PB, and could have saved 1/2 billion dollars. Seeing's how the tablet is still competitive hardware wise in today's current landscape shows me they tried too hard to get this thing out early, when it clearly wasn't ready.
    01-16-12 08:24 AM
    Well, as I have said several times in other threads, I prefer the current PlayBook, with its present limitations and all, to the iPads and Androids in all their full functioning glory. Had RIM not released it last April, I might have ended up buying a Galaxy Tab or something similar and have believed that the wonderful world of back buttons and apps that cannot be closed unless you install other apps was all that there was. So, yes, quite personally speaking, I think they were right to release the PlayBook when they did.
    I love my PB, and I am happily awaiting the joys of OS 2 that will be arriving soon.
    01-16-12 08:48 AM
    Well, as I have said several times in other threads, I prefer the current PlayBook, with its present limitations and all, to the iPads and Androids in all their full functioning glory. Had RIM not released it last April, I might have ended up buying a Galaxy Tab or something similar and have believed that the wonderful world of back buttons and apps that cannot be closed unless you install other apps was all that there was. So, yes, quite personally speaking, I think they were right to release the PlayBook when they did.
    I love my PB, and I am happily awaiting the joys of OS 2 that will be arriving soon.
    And there are those out there that will accept anything that RIM throws at them.
    01-16-12 09:00 AM
    I think that the Playbook would have been received with more fanfare if it were released in 2012 with the email, calendar and contacts, as opposed to last year. But personally, the Playbook has been so awesome for me in the last 10 months. It has literally been in my hands everyday since I bought it at launch.

It would be nice to see this tablet succeed not because Apple is killing the market, but to know that with a botched launch it's still possible to rebound in such a volatile market. Not to mention a volatile time.
    sjefferson21 and jivegirl14 like this.
    01-16-12 09:07 AM
    I have to agree with you as for how I feel. I do feel though that it did hurt RIM more than if they would've at least put it out there that it is a new OS and certain functionality and options will take months to come instead of showing, saying.... well we all know.

I realized this from researching and accepted it especially after seeing the time it took other OS's to progress but most people aren't like me.
    01-16-12 09:08 AM
    Had RIM not released it last April, I might have ended up buying a Galaxy Tab or something similar and have believed that the wonderful world of back buttons and apps that cannot be closed unless you install other apps was all that there was.
    I've seen you mention this numerous times, and i'm not going to derail this thread, or even attempt to help you understand how Android OS works, but the fact you think you need a task killer to end processes in Android is misinformed to say the least.

But i'm glad you're enjoying your PB, as I am as well.
    01-16-12 09:17 AM
    I have to agree with you as for how I feel. I do feel though that it did hurt RIM more than if they would've at least put it out there that it is a new OS and certain functionality and options will take months to come instead of showing, saying.... well we all know.

I realized this from researching and accepted it especially after seeing the time it took other OS's to progress but most people aren't like me.
    Well, actually I do agree with the post you made previously about the unadvisablity of releasing the PlayBook withot the features that will not be ready until next month. I can't help thinking, yes, such a marketing strategy might have been wiser, but WHAT ABOUT MEEEEEE??? How could I have waited until February of 2012 to buy a tablet? Answer I couldn't; I don't have that kind of capacity for delayed gratification, especially when it comes to electronic devices. I got my PB, knowing it had the bridge for extra functionality (like internet access!). Now, I have even more to look forward to.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-16-12 09:27 AM
    I've seen you mention this numerous times, and i'm not going to derail this thread, or even attempt to help you understand how Android OS works, but the fact you think you need a task killer to end processes in Android is misinformed to say the least.

But i'm glad you're enjoying your PB, as I am as well.
    Okay. Point taken. I don't understand the Android OS. You don't need Task Killers. Why? I don't understand, any more than I understand why, if you do not need a Task Killer, why they have a Task Killer...and an Advanced Task Killer.
    Last edited by barskin; 01-16-12 at 09:33 AM.
    01-16-12 09:31 AM
    They have Task Killers, because in the earlier versions of Android, they were used (2.1 and prior). Unfortunately, many people believe they are still needed, which isn't the case. PM me if you have any other questions, or come to the Android sub-forum so we don't clog this thread
    01-16-12 09:38 AM
    I had no desire to purchase a tablet until I heard about the PlayBook. I tried the first iPad and that only furthered the notion. The PlayBook's integration with BB phones was that one extra benefit that pushed me over the edge. For me, and I would guess many more like me, having the PlayBook since last April meant 10 more months of daily usage that I would not have enjoyed had they waited until now.

I'm tired, tired, tired of hearing about the missing native apps being a reason not to release it. For those of us with BB's, it is a non-issue. For those of you with other phones, if you REALLY need those things, then what is the difference to you between not having the PB available for purchase and just not purchasing it?! The native PIM thing did not have to be a disaster (and in my mind it was not a disaster for everyone) if the thing had been marketed properly at launch in the first place. That part was the biggest misstep of all.

Sure it stumbled pretty badly in the big picture; but it nonetheless is out there, and especially with the recent fire sale, it's in more hands now than it would have been if they had waited. Now we're on the doorstep of the latest OS release which is finally getting some positive press. If things can stay positive and id1ot bloggers don't waste time on the this-is-what-it-should-have-been angle, its early release could actually prove to give it a head start to making the thing successful in the long run.

Of course there are reasons why they should have waited; but there are benefits to getting it out there early as well, regardless of its short-term impact on the balance sheet.
    sjefferson21 and jivegirl14 like this.
    01-16-12 09:39 AM
    Well, then I strongly disagree with half of the members here. What I am saying is that people are too quick to dismiss the fact that Rim did not include some of the most basic features on their devices. This is a red flag! It is a huge oversight that people just are plugging their ears and looking the other way.

It is like buying a Windows 7 pro laptop that does not support Office, Windows Server domain, and other key microsoft products that made microsoft who they are today. It would be ludicrous for MS to release an unfinished product that lacks such basic features with the promise of future updates and it is ludicrous for Rim to do so with the pb. Obviously, it was a costly half a BILLION dollar mistake; yet people would do it all over again and plow forward with the same half baked product....but sold at a cheaper price. That is insane to me. People would make the same costly half a BILLION dollar mistake knowing what they know now.

Think about it this way. If anyone here made their company lose half a billion dollars because of a half baked product, that person would be instantly fired on the spot. Yet, people here are rationalizing and defending these "strategic" moves.
    Im not even going to sit here and try to say that you dont make a good point... because you do. Im not saying that it was their best move releasing it early... but look at it like this:

IF it was announced early last year that the pb would be released in Feb '12, but somehow we could opt to have the pb in April '11 WITHOUT native email, contacts and bbm... who WOULDNT jump on it prematurely?!!! We would rationalize by saying "well i can use bridge for the time being". RIM probably had this attitude the whole time, but didnt want to announce it like "unfinished pb up for grabs". They were confident that the product was still really good without these.
    Last edited by StephDOGG; 01-16-12 at 11:48 AM.
    01-16-12 10:34 AM
    okay. Point taken. I don't understand the android os. You don't need task killers. Why? I don't understand, any more than i understand why, if you do not need a task killer, why they have a task killer...and an advanced task killer.
    yes!!! Tko!
    01-16-12 11:29 AM
    It's called a debate, and opening any poll is going to lead to discussions, from people with a differing point of view. Personally, I happen to agree with the poster. I don't see how people think it was a good idea to release a half finished product, to a 1/2 billion dollar loss, and yet would do it all over again.

As I said in another thread. The hardware landscape of tablets hasn't changed much yet, and if RIM had waited until this year to demo it at CES, and then release it in February with 2.0 (which should have been just native software), it would be a completely different landscape. RIM could have avoided all the negative press brought about by the PB, and could have saved 1/2 billion dollars. Seeing's how the tablet is still competitive hardware wise in today's current landscape shows me they tried too hard to get this thing out early, when it clearly wasn't ready.
    I know what a debate is, thanks very much. It IS possible to have debate - and discussion - without slating others who happen to have a differing point of view.
    01-16-12 11:40 AM
    In a perfect world Playbook OS1=OS2.

I've done lots with my PB and am looking forward to the update. I also appreciate Bridge email a lot more than I would have had I not been forced to use it for these months!
    01-16-12 11:43 AM
    So going off the poll have over 50% of Playbook Purchasers spent a lot of money on a product they didn't think was ready and shouldn't have been released ?

Providing it's all owners who voted.....
    01-16-12 11:54 AM
    I would vote for option #1, however I dont like the way its worded. I dont think it was a Good move, but I think it was better than waiting. This gave developers a chance to get the Platform going. Where do you think App World (for QNX) would be if the Playbook wasn't around? I think its much wiser for RIM to test their new platform on a Tablet than a Handset where things rely on it much more heavily.
    sjefferson21 likes this.
    01-16-12 11:58 AM
    RIM could have released the PB without the OS2 features, but it still needed to be a complete product. What they should have had was an BBOS player working on it. If you remember, they demoed a working BBOS player during BBW back in early May, less than two weeks after the PB launched. -

This way they could have had email, calendar, and contacts working on the device while they developed a native QNX solution that we'll now get in February. We also would have been able to have more apps available at launch like the Android tablets had and the BBOS developers could have have a piece of the PB action while RIM got the NDK ready.
    01-16-12 12:03 PM
    Releasing the PlayBook early and then the subsequent sale recently means that the wave of new upcoming tablets all had to rethink their pricepoints. In turn, their pricepoints had to match their hardware/software.

With not many manufacturers willing to risk dropping their prices to create loss, it means the only way other manufacturers could compete would be to lower the specs on their devices. Then the PlayBook would stand out as having the best hardware for that pricepoint.

What happens next? BOOM! Massive free software update which brings the PlayBook head and shoulders above the rest. Amazing software coupled with the already efficient and amazing hardware make a very desirable tablet, which will drive sales if you then throw in a massive marketing campaign.

In hindsight, it appears that RIM had planned it to turn out like this.

Well played, RIM. Well played.
    This also means that RIM intended to take a $485mm loss, be the brunt of so much bad press that they would lose 75% of their stock value, more bad press around the tablet and now sitting with Goldman Sachs to figure out what their merger options might be.

All of this to dictate the price of the lower-end tablet prices.

Yes. Well Played RIM. Well Played Indeed.

Seriously??????????
    01-16-12 12:09 PM
    So going off the poll have over 50% of Playbook Purchasers spent a lot of money on a product they didn't think was ready and shouldn't have been released ?

It's all about hindsight, if I knew then, what I know now and knew that RIM wouldn't get these features out for so long. I would have waited and got my PB for $299 instead of Pre-ordering it for $699 and picking it up on launch day. A $400 hit is a lot, actually $800 hit for me cause I bought one for the GF as well. However, it is, what it is and I use my PB as much as I can to get the full value out of it. I'm looking forward to OS2, but I've learned my lesson for now so you definitely won't see me pre-order a BB10 phone.
    Send Again likes this.
    01-16-12 12:14 PM

Two great poll/marketing questions would be:

1.) How many purchased AFTER the price drop that had not considered the PB previously?

2.) How many non-BB phone users purchased the PB because of the sale?
    01-16-12 12:19 PM
    I would vote for option #1, however I dont like the way its worded. I dont think it was a Good move, but I think it was better than waiting.
    Yes i agree. Not a good move, but better than waiting!
    01-16-12 12:21 PM
    Yes i agree. Not a good move, but better than waiting!
    Same here. Didnt like the limited number of options but it is what it is. Having already spouted off about the tablet and wetting everybody's appetite, It was a better move to have released it than to wait. Lesser of two evils.

To wit; Better to eat crushed glass, or drink battery acid?

Anyway...
    01-16-12 12:31 PM
    I would say yes and no.

Yes - they couldn't wait for the market to get too far ahead of them. They make this mistake constantly with their phones and had to make an entrance.

No - they should have applied all the resources they could to developing the PB OS before releasing. To have a blackberry (the PB is a blackberry after all) that doesn't work with their own infrastructure was a huge mistake.

It's never too late though. OS2 is leaps and bounds beyond OS1 and the PB, at current low prices, will be a nice addition to the tablet market.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    bitek likes this.
    01-16-12 01:10 PM
134 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD