I could be totally wrong, but his issue sounds like 1 of 2 things. 1. Trying to use the stock browser like tethering instead of the bridge browser. 2. His phone does not have the correct service book for the stock browser and only runs off the HotSpot Browser. (I had this issue myself with my unlocked Storm 2 on ATT. Once I reloaded the ATT service books to restore my phones stock browser, all was good. No more 403 error. Losing the stock browser service book using unlocked phones on ATT is normal.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-11 02:48 PM
    This is total BS, the bridge has nothing to do with the carrier or whether the BB is locked or unlocked. It is a software application. (trust me, I actually know how this thing works)

This is simply a tech support rep who gets measured in closing calls and not having any open tickets. A simple excuse not to care and a simple way to increase his/her ticket closing metric.
    so you should be fielding questions left and right then!
    05-26-11 03:13 PM
    I have an 9780 from TELUS that I unlocked (I travel a lot - and I use O2 in Europe - but I haven't used this new phone in Europe yet). That said, the software build is still a TELUS build, but bridge and everything works fine with the PB.

I love how telcos will sell you a "world" phone, but it's locked.
    05-26-11 03:23 PM
    I could be totally wrong, but his issue sounds like 1 of 2 things. 1. Trying to use the stock browser like tethering instead of the bridge browser. 2. His phone does not have the correct service book for the stock browser and only runs off the HotSpot Browser.
    Thank everyone for your comments. To answer a few questions.

On the 9000 Crackberry forum there are early threads about how to use unlocked BB9000 on US TM.
    The 9000 was/is only available from ATT.
    TM never offered the 9000 because:
    > ATT 9000 uses a different band for 3G then TM has available
    > The 9000 is fully compatible with TM EDGE.
    Other then that, 9000's work better on TM: ATT blocks BB maps, TM not.

TM service books work correctly on the 9000.

The current official 9000 OS as shown on the Crackberry forum, and methods of installation, work well (No, I do not have a 'hybrid")

Knowing the difference between the tethered 'browser' and 'bridge browser', my problem is solely when using the 'bridge browser'.
    The 9000 browser is set to 'Internet browser'; I have never had a problem with that default. On the road, I only use the tethered 'browser'. Without regard to the error problem; 'bridge browser' is much slower then the tethered browser.

Perhaps RIM supervisors told their Customer Service Rep to not spend more time on this problem; maybe a few PB users have the same problem.
    I AM LISTENING to you guys! There was a comment about "service books". I had not re-sent them for a long time.
    From the TM PC BB e-mail setup I re-sent the TM 'service books'. So far so good.
    Last edited by mandony; 05-26-11 at 07:56 PM.
    05-26-11 03:34 PM
    Thank everyone for your comments. To answer a few questions.

On the 9000 Crackberry forum there are early threads about how to use unlocked BB9000 on US TM.
    The 9000 was/is only available from ATT.
    TM never offered the 9000 because:
    > ATT 9000 uses a different band for 3G then TM has available
    > The 9000 is fully compatible with TM EDGE.
    Other then that, 9000's work better on TM: ATT blocks BB maps, TM not.

TM service books work correctly on the 9000.

The current official 9000 OS as shown on the Crackberry forum, and methods of installation, work well (No, I do not have a 'hybrid")

Knowing the difference between the tethered 'browser' and 'bridge browser', my problem is solely when using the 'bridge browser'.
    The 9000 browser is set to 'Internet browser'; I have never had a problem with that default. On the road, I only use the tethered 'browser'. Without regard to the error problem; 'bridge browser' is much slower then the tethered browser.

Perhaps RIM supervisors told their Customer Service Rep to not spend more time on this problem; maybe a few PB users have the same problem.

I AM LISTENING to you guys! There was a comment about "service books". I had not re-sent them for a long time.
    From the TM PC BB e-mail setup I re-sent the TM 'service books'. I have been in trials for an hour and there have been NO errors!
    It's been a while since I've last used my 9000 and I had a bit of a problem way back, I think it had something to do with an app... anyhow, on your bold for Network connections shouldn't you actually have the following options picked instead: (I'm on a different carrier using a Torch, but hopefully it might give you something to try):

Connection Preference: Mobile Network Preferred

Mobile Network: T-MO (if you can choose that)

Network Selection Mode: Automatic

Hopefully you may find the options in your phone.

On my bold I remembered I had to actually enter my carriers generic ip address or something... it's been a whle.

Not sure if above helps...

Browser is crazy slow at times but it shouldn't not work...
    05-26-11 07:31 PM
    Snick Snack: yes I have these as default.
    Thanks.
    I hope that the problem is related to the service books.
    Why couldn't RIM CS made that suggestion????
    05-26-11 08:01 PM
    Snick Snack: yes I have these as default.
    Thanks.
    I hope that the problem is related to the service books.
    Why couldn't RIM CS made that suggestion????
    I don't know why RIM wouldn't know. I only remember service books because my colleague got an unlocked BB that was locked to another carrier and was using it fine with his preferred carrier (like you) and when he came out west it kinda did some wonky stuff. But he had a buddy at his preferred carrier re load new service books back in (basically re-activating his phone) and it seemed to work.

You might try asking T-mo to resend to the phone the service activation logs and see what happens.

Good luck.
    05-26-11 08:08 PM
    You might try asking T-mo to resend to the phone the service activation logs and see what happens.
    Actually ... TM doesn't what to know from my ATT phone. They only want to take my money for the BB contract without servicing the phone.
    05-26-11 08:47 PM
    RIM or any other will not support it but don't worry somebody on here will figure it out.
    05-26-11 08:52 PM
    Actually ... TM doesn't what to know from my ATT phone. They only want to take my money for the BB contract without servicing the phone.
    Grrr!!! But typical of any carrier.

So is the problem that you never got your bridge to work or it only works sporadically? Or certain situation or location triggers it?

Oh forgot to add had you try a different BB on the bridge and does that work?
    05-26-11 09:23 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD