Bought a new 64gb Playbook which I have never been able to get to recharge. Several calls to RIM later (by which time battery level went from 10% to 0% and had not backed up) and I returned my Playbook for repair. They informed me if a repair wasn't possible I would be sent a new one - they said they believed it was a battery fault.

Just received a replacement (although I haven't been told mine couldn't be repaired). On calling RIM It seems that the Playbook sent to me is "as old as the one I sent to them or newer). My issue is that the Playbook I sent had been used by me only and only for as long as the original charge ran out (from taking out the box) which is a matter of hours. Took several weeks to get RIM to agree to repair despite being well within the warranty. The Playbook that they have sent to me as a replacement is not brand new as therefore has probably been previously repaired and owned by someone else before coming to me. This is effectively a second hand unit when mine was new. This doesn't seem fair or right to me. Had I wanted a previously owned one I would have spent far less getting one second hand! I am new to all this - I want to complain further about this - do you think I would be justified in doing so? When I called RIM they agreed to send me a copy of the repair Report so I could see why my unit couldn't be repaired although they did say that when it was a battery issue they usually don't bother to repair but send out another "like for like Playbook". I guess they didn't try to repair as the 2 weeks expected turnaround for repair was actually just about a week so don't think they could have attempted a repair and sent back by FedEx from Germany to UK in that time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as, like I say, I am completely new to Blackberry/RIM. Thanks
    12-16-12 07:27 AM
    I too user to feel the same way. I paid 500 dollars for my torch 9850 and it lasted me 4.5 days before I got the red led of death. Verizon replaced it with a refurb. The fact is though... Yes you had a brand new one... But th replacement is just as new. They take them apart and are inspected and cleaned up and reassembled by hand. It also still has the warranty yours had. Don't worry about it so much and just enjoy the working device. and I'm not trying to be a **** when I ask this but... Can you really tell if its been used before or do you just assume because its not the same serial number? If you can't tell then why are you worried? I know I can't tell the difference between the refurbs Verizon has sent me. They have all looked immaculate . I've had 4 replaced under warranty. Apparently I'm getting the bad batch of 9850's haha. Anyways, have a good one
    12-16-12 07:42 AM
    I'm not sure what the fine print of the warranty state. If RIM is responsible to replace a new unit or a workable unit. At this point I would further ask RIM if the replace unit was brand new or a refurbished one. I do not think asking for a brand new unit is too much of a demand if it falls within the warranty period, especially they told you the original device was not repairable. However, what makes you think that the replacement unit was an older device?
    12-16-12 07:45 AM
    Thanks for the replies. The serial number is different to the one I sent so is not the same one. Also, the plastic film on the front screen has many bubbles indicating that it has been put on the front - not completely flat like it was on my brand new one (if that makes sense). When I called RIM they informed me I would have been sent "like for like" in terms of the Playbook's age - therefore not new.
    12-16-12 07:54 AM
    .....When I called RIM they informed me I would have been sent "like for like" in terms of the Playbook's age - therefore not new.
    Not sure what you mean here, I don't think RIM has had any PlayBook's in production as new units for quite awhile now. If they are building any, it would only be the 32gb LTE 4G model. Your replacement is probably new, except that it was also probably manufactured in 2011. What RIM should have done with every PB made, is put a first instruction on top of every unit in the box, to charge it first for a few hours before using it. They only mention that on the screen when it is first being set up, and many may miss that in the rush to get it updated for software, etc.

For your replacement PB, if you get the Battery Guru app, it will tell you how many times the battery has been charged, which may indicate how 'used' it is. I bought a new 64gb from ebay in Sept and when it arrived, the date on the box was June 2011. Once I got it set up, reinstalled the Battery Guru app that I had previously had for my first PB, and it indicated only 2 charges so I considered it as new and have had no problems with it.
    12-16-12 08:34 AM
    Other than the "factory screen protector" being bubbled, any other signs of use? Does it looked marred or scuffed? Check the port areas and make sure there is no wear and than the usb port in particular looks fine.

I'd say you are covered by the Warranties of the UK, whatever those may be.

As for the repair process, they may have a test or two that can quickly determine that a unit cannot be fixed. When I mailed my original 32gig to rim, I got a different unit and it came back in about 4 days. So, obviously, they determined for some reason not to repair mine but replace it. I _THINK_ it was a new unit but it did have 5 or 6 charge cycles on it (maybe their testing). Battery Guru provides info on how many charges have occurred.

Bottom line, if it appears pretty much brand new other than the bubbled protector, you might be in fine shape but only you can determine if a unit is acceptable.
    12-16-12 10:02 AM
    The UK consumer protection laws are actually very strong F2.

Given the original PB was broken from the point of sale (the battery was never chargeable if I've understood correctly), OP should have returned to the shop where he bought it and quoted the "Sale of Goods Act" and demanded a replacement. In the first 6-months, the onus is on the shop to prove that the unit wasn't broken from the start - i.e. a manufacturing fault - the burden of proof isn't with the consumer. Most shops in this position will simply get another boxed product off the shelf and swap it rather than play games (at their cost).

Instead, OP contacted RIM and organised a return/repair under their standard terms. I won't bore everyone with the full T&C's, but they boil down to it being RIM's sole call on how to resolve the problem, and here they've decided to provide a like-for-like replacement PB.

OP: I reckon you are being a tadge hard on RIM actually, as I'd be prepared to bet real money that the replacement unit you now have is not 2nd-hand (in that it has never been pre-owned by any other consumer and hasn't been previously repaired). Far more likely is that RIM triaged your original PB as uneconomic to repair (as they did mine a few months back) and got another PB off their stock shelf ("new" PB's diverted from the retail chain expressly for this purpose) and sent a PB back to you.

However, if you feel strongly about the situation and don't want the replacement PB RIM sent you... Contact RIM, refuse their replacement PB as per your rights under the T&Cs, and they'll send you back your original (un-repaired) PB. If you go that route... I wouldn't mention the abortive return to anyone and simply return to the shop where you bought the PB and exercise your consumer rights.

HTH
    FF22 likes this.
    12-16-12 11:08 AM
    The UK consumer protection laws are actually very strong F2.

Proud Member of the PlayBook Beta Test Team (Since June 2011)
    Yes, I've heard that your laws are better than ours.

Are YOU still beta testing? I'd of thought you were beyond that - hey, exercise your consumer protection rights and demand a Gamma unit!
    12-16-12 11:32 AM
    Having checked the replacement Playbook and considered the above comments - other than a few faint marks on the back - it all seems OK (not sure what the charging port should look like but it does charge). I will keep it as I am happy to have a working device was merely concerned about the possibility of it having belonged to someone else first.

I did contact my original retailer (Currys) several times but they gave me a phone number to contact Blackberry as they'd been having issues with them. This was within their 21 day exchange/refund policy. I did as I was asked as I had bought it online (nearest store is 1 hour away by train) and they didn't give me details on returning it to them (although I had asked for this in an e-mail). In my ignorance I thought I was doing the right thing calling Blackberry rather than perusing it through Currys.
    12-16-12 11:41 AM
    Yes, I've heard that your laws are better than ours.

Are YOU still beta testing? I'd of thought you were beyond that - hey, exercise your consumer protection rights and demand a Gamma unit!
    The laws are there alright, but shops still occasionally try it on, despite the law being on the consumer's side. Pro-tip: It helps (a lot) if you are "firm" with them and make it clear that you know your rights.

I'll maybe drop the "Beta Testing" tagline when/if my PB gets BB10!
    12-16-12 11:46 AM
    I did contact my original retailer (Currys) several times but they have me a phone number to contact Blackberry as they'd been having issues with them. This was within their 21 day exchange/refund policy.
    I'm glad it's worked out OK for you in the end. Honestly, I think the chances of your new PB being "pre-owned" are virtually non-existent. So enjoy!

As I've said above, shops still try it on, and Currys are one of the worst! So I'm not surprised they fobbed you off with a "oh, you need to contact Blackberry". If that approach fails, they often offer to repair it (which you don't have to accept either!). Hopefully you'll never need to do this again, but don't accept similar statements from retailers in future. Your contract is with the shop, it's for the shop to contact the manufacturer, not you. And a recent-ish law change made it possible to reject goods in a reasonable time (generally reckoned as 6 months) as not of merchantable quality (i.e. it was badly manufactured and should never have been sold)... Importantly, the burden of proof that it was fit to sell is now on the shop (previously it was on the buyer). So all the cards are in your hands... if you know how to play them.

Consider it a life lesson LOL

And, again, I'm glad it worked out for you.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    12-16-12 11:59 AM
    Thanks for the replies. The serial number is different to the one I sent so is not the same one. Also, the plastic film on the front screen has many bubbles indicating that it has been put on the front - not completely flat like it was on my brand new one (if that makes sense). When I called RIM they informed me I would have been sent "like for like" in terms of the Playbook's age - therefore not new.
    Obviously the serial number will be different since you were provided with a replacement tablet for your defective tablet; serial numbers are not transferable for a reason. The plastic film over the screen having bubbles means nothing more than the film was applied by hand rather than machine and was likely removed at some point to check the internal components by the folks responsible for processing the physical devices after an RMA. You are likely going to remove the factory-installed screen protector and replace it with a third-party protector like most people. The device you received might have been defective (battery problem) and been repaired post-return and placed into the available refurbished stockpile. If there was a scratch in the screen, a chip of rubber or plastic out of the case, dirt under the screen, a warped back under the metallic BlackBerry logo, or similar defect with the tablet RIM sent you, you would have some justification. Thus far, all you are doing is speculating. Given the date of your original message in this thread it is safe to say you probably did not pay full price for the tablet; there are many of us whom paid dearly for the privilege of being an early adopter but we aren't running around screaming, "RIM has ripped me off!"
    12-16-12 12:03 PM
    The plastic film over the screen having bubbles means nothing more than the film was applied by hand rather than machine and was likely removed at some point to check the internal components by the folks responsible for processing the physical devices after an RMA.
    To add to this, I had to do an RMA on my Playbook because the rear camera was not working.
    I sent in my Playbook (which already had a screen protector that I applied on it) and got back the Playbook with my original screen protector gone and in it's place the original plastic film on the screen with the white arrows and fingers was on it. (It was placed on it perfectly with no bubbles like when you get it Brand New out of the Box)

I knew it was the same unit I had since It had the same serial number as my original playbook as well as the same scuff marks I previously had on the charging port.

Goes to show the screen protector doesn't tell you if it's new or old or refurbished, etc.

If it's working, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it breaks in less than a year, you still have your warranty.
    12-16-12 08:44 PM
    I am having extreme difficulty in finding where to send the playbook for repair, it will not charge or come on. Has been this way for several months and i am ready to send to RIM. Have had less than a year. Does anyone know what address to send to?

thanks
    12-28-12 10:21 AM
    I am having extreme difficulty in finding where to send the playbook for repair, it will not charge or come on. Has been this way for several months and i am ready to send to RIM. Have had less than a year. Does anyone know what address to send to?

thanks
    It would help if we knew what country you're in?

In the UK, phone RIM on 0800 096 2805. They'll lead you through a process that will attempt to fix the PB by talking you through some resolution steps and will culminate in an RMA (return) to RIM for repair/replacement if nothing works.

If you aren't in God's Own Country... Google is your friend: "Playbook Support <your country>"
    12-28-12 10:29 AM
    Jeep, baby, while there are some who have objections of our "GOD-free" Constitution.... well, we'll let it drop.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    12-28-12 12:05 PM