09-24-12 02:46 AM
104 1234 ...
tools
    She was not PLAYing the PB plug, that's her PB! So many adults have done the same mistake by plugging upside down and that should be prevented by safe design (no access for the wrong way plug in).
    Yeah, i completely agree with you on that. The USB port should be designed in a way, which doesn't let you plug it in the wrong way (upside down). The port is really flimsy. RIM must consider that. I can't believe they overlooked that. You must consider legal action against it.
    09-21-12 09:31 PM
    RIM replaced my PlayBook in less than five days for a broken USB port. In the USA.

The USB port on my Nook Color is a far worse design; finicky from day one.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-21-12 09:41 PM
    I have four phones (not blackberry) with the same micro usb port, none of them could be plugged in upside down.
    I also have a Nokia and an Android Phone. Either of them doesn't allow me to plug in upside down. Moreover, these ports feel very compact. On the contrary, Playbook's usb port feels very fragile. Surely a design flaw. It must not be designed that way.
    09-21-12 09:43 PM
    I sometimes like reading these threads because of how ridiculous they can get, I'll be it normally nothing interesting comes of reading while bored, except this diamond in the rough. I actually was thinking you had a legitimate claim until you:
    1). Brought in legal counsel to the discussion (regardless of your relationship),
    2). Now you say that it "could" have been caused by a 9 year old kid,
    3). And now you just show anger toward RIM not bowing to your demands.

A warranty is a warranty and I think it's rather shameless that someone brings up a subject to complain about RIM's supposed lack of service, when, in my opinion, they have a rather good reputation for servicing warranties. All this because someone's 9 year old kid hasn't learned not to put a square peg in a round hole.

By the way to sum up the thread the OP goes from say "I have no idea how that damage has happened" to "She was not PLAYing the PB plug, that's her PB! So many adults have done the same mistake by plugging upside down and that should be prevented by safe design (no access for the wrong way plug in)."

I don't know about anyone else, but it seems like you have a rather good idea of how it happened.

For those that may read the OP's post I hope many realize that RIM has some great support, but indeed they do not cater to demands such as these.

P.S. Everyone has lawyers in this world, and everyone is innocent
    Why would you insult the OP's daughter. Also why couldn't RIM just fix the stupid USB port for free, I don't think that would cost them anything, I don't like the way you are talking with, it sounds like you are making fun of the OP and their daughter.
    09-21-12 09:57 PM
    Really! I'm surprised at they way they are talking to OP. What if something like that happens to their newly bought playbook ? It won't cost RIM too much. At the end of the day, there is something wrong with the design. Why can't RIM fix it for free? It is beyond me.
    09-21-12 10:11 PM
    I too have had excellent services. Even call backs to see if everything was still resolved. The USB connector is an industry standard connector. RIM did not design or make the connector. Could they have used a different connector then everyone else? Sure, but then we would be upset because they didn't conform to a standard. There was physical damage, therefore it was abused and not covered under warranty. Plain and simple. My 4 year old grandson has been taught how to insert the plug and I have had no issues with the the 2 playbooks he has used to date.
    09-21-12 10:15 PM
    Why would you insult the OP's daughter. Also why couldn't RIM just fix the stupid USB port for free, I don't think that would cost them anything, I don't like the way you are talking with, it sounds like you are making fun of the OP and their daughter.
    I concur that one should refrain, at all times, from insulting anyone and/or his/her children.

That said, a better question would be why should RIM fix it for free when the damage is clearly the end user's? All it takes is plugging a micro USB into the slot once correctly to learn which way the plug goes. Also, the cord itself, with the blackberry logo on the "right" side is another clear indication of how to properly insert said plug into the port. My Sony ereader requires me to plug in the micro USB in the opposite way. I don't seem to confuse either requirement.

You don't think that the repair would cost RIM anything? Really? Do you think that RIM pays nothing for shipping to and from one's home? Do you think the RIM employee set to do the "free" repair would accept not being paid his/her wage for the service? What about the parts? Are they free to RIM as well? Really? You obviously don't own your own business!

I can assure you that, at least in Canada, we don't get to "write off" "Good Will". Often it is the company owners who have to eat the incurred expense.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-21-12 10:20 PM
    This is starting to get a litttle crazy people.
    Even if you have a micro mini port that won't let you put it in the wrong way if you force it in the wrong way your going to do damage.
    I'm going to have to go with people I know on and off the forum that have had mostly good experiences with rim costumer service.
    09-21-12 10:24 PM
    I can't help but note that, in his initial post, the OP a) referred to the Playbook as "his" -- no mention of his daughter, b) merely said that "it would not charge" and b)that he had "no idea how that damage has happened. I wonder if that's what he also told RIM which promptly paid for FedEx to ship the Playbook for repair?

My guess is that when RIM saw the damage, it was apparent little care had been used in handling of the device. Of course, we'll never know because the only story we have comes from someone who has already withheld relevant information.

RIM made a reasonable call, imho. They will still fix it but the buyer must pay for the damage.
    bungaboy and hpjrt like this.
    09-21-12 10:26 PM
    Really! I'm surprised at they way they are talking to OP. What if something like that happens to their newly bought playbook ? It won't cost RIM too much. At the end of the day, there is something wrong with the design. Why can't RIM fix it for free? It is beyond me.
    These Playbooks are already selling below cost and RIM has done a great job of responding to warranty concerns. In this case, careless handling, not a defect caused the damage. The warranty does not apply. Why can't the OP pay for it? It's his responsibility.
    09-21-12 10:30 PM
    First post from the family friend solicitor?
    pickles#WP, esk369 and crazeee4u like this.
    09-21-12 10:31 PM
    It is a standard micro usb port (not a proprietary RIM port) so I am not sure what you mean it is their design flaw and it should prevent user from plugging it in the wrong way. There are also people that plug micro hdmi in the usb port and break it etc so I wouldn't call it a design flaw. You can jam the micro usb cable in any device that has that port in the wrong way and cause damage.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-21-12 10:31 PM
    I don't think BI intended to insult op's daughter maybe a poor choice of words I don't think any malice was intended at least that's not hte way I read it. Imo
    And just for the record I'm not trying to speak for anybody.
    09-21-12 10:32 PM
    This is starting to get a litttle crazy people.
    Agreed. No one including me insulted his child. The quotes I used were the OP's own. merely I point out the lack of responsibility people are willing to take for their own issues. As of this post I will no longer be viewing this thread, as I find that people are a bit too sensitive for understanding the facts, or lack there of, as they have changed through the conversation change.

I am now leaving this thread. Good Day.
    09-21-12 10:32 PM
    These Playbooks are already selling below cost and RIM has done a great job of responding to warranty concerns. In this case, careless handling, not a defect caused the damage. The warranty does not apply. Why can't the OP pay for it? It's his responsibility.
    Why RIM can't repair it for free? I love my playbook. But, if playbooks are selling below low cost, what has it got to do with the users? Is it because of OP ?? Are users responsible for it? Ok if RIM can repair it for free, they must provide concession. Thats the least they can do. Its a fact that USB port is fragile. No other (branded) device allows you to insert it in upside down.
    09-21-12 10:42 PM
    First post from the family friend solicitor?
    I disagree with you. May be he/she (who posted it) has had the same problem with USB port. Just answer a question- what if it happens to u? Now don't say that you will buy a new PB just because repair would cost too much. May be you can buy, but not everyone can spend the amount again and again just for a device.
    09-21-12 10:48 PM
    Well I give up! Apparently common sense and reading comprehension aren't applicable to some of this thread's participants. You just can't enlighten some people because enlightenment isn't what they seek.
    bungaboy and esk369 like this.
    09-21-12 10:54 PM
    Well I give up! Apparently common sense and reading comprehension aren't applicable to some of this thread's participants. You just can't enlighten some people because enlightenment isn't what they seek.
    Can't believe, how insensitive members can be towards Non-Canadian users. Everyone has common sense, no matter whatever you say. Its not that OP is my brother, that i'm speaking for him.
    09-21-12 11:02 PM
    Before I retire for the evening you can't put rims customer service on trial because of one persons experience several people have stated excellent customer service from rim.
    The only way to get a better understanding of rims track record on their customer service which I'm sure could be found from various online entities consumer reports jd powers and a million other places.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-21-12 11:07 PM
    Can't believe, how insensitive members can be towards Non-Canadian users. Everyone has common sense, no matter whatever you say. Its not that OP is my brother, that i'm speaking for him.
    Just like I spoke up berry intelligence? Being accused of insulting op's daughter.
    Whos being insensitive? Or rather who is being to sensitive?
    Just seems pointless to keep going.
    Good night everybody.
    Last edited by esk369; 09-21-12 at 11:13 PM.
    heppyX and bungaboy like this.
    09-21-12 11:11 PM
    I agree,

My PB is working fine but after reading this I am compelled to take care of that tiny fragile port in otherwise a well built device. Sad that they deny warranty on this basis. I just tried putting it wrongly though; and I could not with normal pressure.

Guys complaing about a kid handling the device; well my son is eight years. Plays with many of them, have charged them n times but there is no way he can insert a plug in wrong direction in other device(Nokia, Sony, LG).
    09-21-12 11:17 PM
    Not a design flaw, all micro usb ports/plugs are fragile, what your paying an attourney could get you 7 new playbooks....
    I have to agree with the OP. The BlackBerry smartphone micro-USB port is keyed to only allow the charger and data cable too be inserted one way - the correct orientation. The BlackBerry tablet, on the other hand, is oddly designed and in low lighting conditions, for instance, you must be very careful when plugging the cable into tablet. That said, RIM should never have shipped a USB cable for charging the battery; it should have been the magnetic rapid charging cable that is shipped with the tablet and keep the USB cable strictly for connecting to the computer for data transfer or more typically for use with BlackBerry Desktop Software when debricking.
    09-21-12 11:18 PM
    And have not yet done so for PB as well.
    09-21-12 11:19 PM
    As BB9700 said, the PB does indeed use a different port then the phones. I think the idea is/was to allow USB OTG.
    09-21-12 11:26 PM
    It was used by my daughter, could have been damaged by plugging in a wrong way. But the port should be designed for not being able to plug in upside down, as many other phones. RIM is just not up to the standard in term of customer services!
    I understand your frustration but the fact is it was probably damaged from misuse. I don't see that as RIM's problem and apparently they don't either. The diesel and unleaded pumps look the same but Audi isn't going to fix my car if I put the wrong one in.
    bungaboy, DC506 and esk369 like this.
    09-21-12 11:33 PM
104 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD