Frustrating how much price difference there is with the US and Canada.

I have yet to see the dock for less than $65 and never on sale.
    Here it is for $42.00

BlackBerry ACC39340103 PlayBook Charging Stand 2Amp, BlackBerry Desktop Chargers - Pure Mobile

Another for $41.69.

http://www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C0CMK9Z/
    Last edited by bungaboy; 09-22-12 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Update
    esk369 likes this.
    09-22-12 11:49 AM
    Frustrating how much price difference there is with the US and Canada.

I have yet to see the dock for less than $65 and never on sale.
    Yes, very frustrating. I have yet to see a 32GB PB on sale here for $118.
    09-22-12 12:03 PM
    Heres what you do to make sure you dont plug it in incorrectly, put a raised sticker on the up position and u can do it in the dark or whatever and still never get an issue with plugging it in incorrectly. I've had mine since day 1 and Ive never had an issue (even without the sticker - the sticker is just for those who have trouble identifying the right position).
    09-22-12 12:22 PM
    20 new micro usb sockets cost $8.......i'm sure if you had to a local electronics place could solder one in for a few $s......its a nice business option for anyone in the electronics repair field.
    09-22-12 12:51 PM
    If you are in the UK, contact Trading Standards. You'll have one local to you if you are.

Customers are entitled to raise a problem with a supplier/retailer/manufacturer regarding a product for up to six years from the date of purchase (five years from the discovery of a problem in Scotland) regardless of the terms of any guarantee.

Also products must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time.

It would do you no harm to google local office phone number, give them a ring and they will take your case on for free if you have just cause.

Only if in UK.
    Thanks for the information, just talked with my solicitor friend and was instructed to exhaust the complaint procedure with RIM before further actions. To buy a rapid charger not a big deal, as it could benefit my other PB (Yes I got two, silly maybe). I'm really annoyed that RIM treat UK (Europe) users differently while give better customer services to where close to their home. The charging port is supposed to be used every day, need to be carefully considered to prevent accidental damage. You can't expect the users to be that precise on using a device, and a good engineering practice is to minimize the risk by physically deny wrong access, like many connectors used in computers and aircraft. I don't think they can get away from this. BTW, they asked to charge me �70 plus tax, nearly enough to buy a new one
    09-22-12 02:03 PM
    I'm really annoyed that RIM treat UK (Europe) users differently while give better customer services to where close to their home.
    You just joined yesterday and all your posts so far have been about the unfair treatment RIM gives you because of your neglect in showing your daughter how to plug in an industry standard conection.

Now your saying because of your citzenship your being discriminated against. Quite the allegation. Care to substantiate that? Otherwise this is just another exageration of your warranty claim.
    esk369, hpjrt, crazeee4u and 1 others like this.
    09-22-12 02:16 PM
    I'm really annoyed that RIM treat UK (Europe) users differently while give better customer services to where close to their home. (
    I really don't think thats true......didn't they get fed ex to collect it,probably within a few days...any cases of problems i have heard of due to manufacturing faults have been fixed or very quickly replaced.....you are wasting your time with trading standards or the likes of citizens advice here in the UK.....they are a waste of space and money....you would be better finding a local computer or phone repair place and getting a new socket fitted,can't see it costing more than 20 or 30 quid.
    Last edited by Broxster; 09-23-12 at 12:38 AM.
    09-22-12 03:15 PM
    It doesn't really matter how it got damaged or if you noticed the damage does it? The point is RIM is not responsible for the damage. What is so complicated about that?
    esk369 likes this.
    09-22-12 03:24 PM
    If it was me and I knew my pb was broken because someone I knew tried to plug the charger in upside down, I'd own it and get it fixed because it wasn't an actual flaw in the design of the pb. If you plug it in correctly, it doesn't get broken. But that's me and just my own opinion.
    esk369, hpjrt, crazeee4u and 1 others like this.
    09-22-12 04:30 PM
    A warranty is a warranty and I think it's rather shameless that someone brings up a subject to complain about RIM's supposed lack of service, when, in my opinion, they have a rather good reputation for servicing warranties. All this because someone's 9 year old kid hasn't learned not to put a square peg in a round hole.
    I agree with most of your points, but this part could/should have been put a bit more elegantly...
    09-22-12 04:57 PM
    Thanks for the information, just talked with my solicitor friend and was instructed to exhaust the complaint procedure with RIM before further actions. To buy a rapid charger not a big deal, as it could benefit my other PB (Yes I got two, silly maybe). I'm really annoyed that RIM treat UK (Europe) users differently while give better customer services to where close to their home. The charging port is supposed to be used every day, need to be carefully considered to prevent accidental damage. You can't expect the users to be that precise on using a device, and a good engineering practice is to minimize the risk by physically deny wrong access, like many connectors used in computers and aircraft. I don't think they can get away from this. BTW, they asked to charge me �70 plus tax, nearly enough to buy a new one
    So you are in the UK.

Well it is also good to know this:

The retailer has to foot the bill for shipping and all other costs for repairing the device. You, by law, are entitled to have it repaired without costing you a penny...

This is of course if you can demonstrate, that the device did not stand up what would be considered 'reasonable use'.

Give them a ring, it's free... what have you got to loose?

Trading Standards Institute - Home page

Reasonable use can last longer than a warranty, say I purchased a digital SLR and the reflex gave up after only 5000 shots but purchased it 18 months ago... then it failed to meet reasonable use and I have an argument to take to trading standards to investigate.
    09-22-12 07:50 PM
    ...you are wasting your time with trading standards or the likes of citizens advice here in the UK.....they are a waste of space and money....you would be better finding a local computer or phone repair place and getting a new socket fitted,can't see it costing more than 20 or 30 quid.
    I had an issue with Nikon UK regarding a 26 month old SLR and two top end speed lights.

Trading Standards managed to get Nikon replace the pair of speed lights (�800) and replace the shutter reflex on the (�3k) body... at no cost what so ever to me, including couriers.

You have to be sensible with them and exhaust other possibilities first... but if you get nowhere with a sensible argument... then Trading Standards will be a solid ally.
    Last edited by Fmar; 09-22-12 at 08:05 PM.
    09-22-12 08:00 PM
    RIM gave excellent service when my PB was returned for loose trim around the speaker. It was back in 4 days with firmer trim. Looks like they learned how to improve the trim. That would qualify as a design flaw.

While I feel for the OP, I'm not convinced that a buggered USB port qualifies as a design flaw.
    09-22-12 08:19 PM
    look at it this way, they could change the port and make you have to buy all new charging devices......oops wrong company! Have two of them and use differnt types of adapters to charge with, no damage no issues!!!
    09-22-12 08:25 PM
    I had an issue with Nikon UK regarding a 26 month old SLR and two top end speed lights.

Trading Standards managed to get Nikon replace the pair of speed lights (�800) and replace the shutter reflex on the (�3k) body... at no cost what so ever to me, including couriers.

You have to be sensible with them and exhaust other possibilities first... but if you get nowhere with a sensible argument... then Trading Standards will be a solid ally.

Did you break the camera yourself though?.......i just had a 4 year old Samsung tv fixed free of charge due to a known manufacturing issue which THEY told me about,i was willing to pay for it given the age of the tv.....your camera was probably fixed due to a known fault/problem,if you had dropped it and broken it i doubt it would have been fixed FOC.
    Last edited by Broxster; 09-23-12 at 12:40 AM.
    09-23-12 12:19 AM
    It was used by my daughter, could have been damaged by plugging in a wrong way. But the port should be designed for not being able to plug in upside down, as many other phones. RIM is just not up to the standard in term of customer services!
    you can't plug it in upside down unless you force it in, if soemthing is physically damaged you can't expect RIM to replace it, just like if yout get hit by another car and you have a dent in your car you can't go to the dealer and say fix it under warranty it broke.

this has nothign to do with customer service, its how you treat your stuff, if you just toss it around jam the charger in rip the charger out, bend it to much, things will break and thats all user negligence and you should not expect RIM to cover the cost of poor use
    Tim1131 and CerveloJohn like this.
    09-23-12 02:40 AM
    How do you put your charger cord in backwards? Got my Playbook they day it was released and never once put it in backwards, mine doesn't even let me. Unless of course I force it (which I would never do).

I just tried twice.
    09-23-12 03:08 AM
    How do you put your charger cord in backwards? Got my Playbook they day it was released and never once put it in backwards, mine doesn't even let me. Unless of course I force it (which I would never do).

I just tried twice.

Upside down might be a better term as I do not think you could ever get the wall wart to fit inside the USB post no matter how hard you tried.

You tried twice, but would never do?

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-23-12 04:49 AM
    There is a problem with the PB USB charging port. No one who has been reading CrackBerry for long would be surprised at the OP's post.

The technical explanation is here, complete with diagrams:
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7062518

Please read the above post before expounding on the difficulty/impossibility of damaging the USB port. This was a design decision by RIM which allows the same port to be used for charging the PB and for powering USB attached peripherals. The plug is different from that used on most USB-powered devices. Unfortunately, USB peripherals are still not supported on the PB (although rooted PBs could activate the unfinished USB code and use some peripherals). It is clearly safer to use the rapid charger, and avoid using the USB port to charge the PB.

Over and over, posters have reported here that PBs in store displays had broken USB ports. Many people have reported that RIM (actually, the company it hired to handle repairs) has repaired this problem for them. I even remember at least one person who wrote that RIM repaired this problem for him even though his PB was out of warranty.

Some people have reported repairing the USB port by simply bending the contacts back to the original position. Of course, if the contacts are actually broken, or if the plug solder joints are broken, that would not work.

Read the entire thread linked above for examples of just about everything I mentioned here.

While there is a design weakness, I doubt that this problem would imply some kind of legal liability for RIM. After all, it is necessary to jam the the USB cable in upside down in order to damage the USB port (even if it is easy to do). As with nearly all USB cables, you must orient the cable plug so the design/logo/etc on the top.

glawayne, if you use Google to search through older posts on this topic, you may find some posts that will help you win your argument with RIM. I suggest that you search on words that relate to USB warranty, repair, etc., using the Google tag "site:forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/" which will localize results to this PB CB forum. (I find that such a restricted Google search is much more useful than CB's own weak search function.)
    Last edited by VerryBestr; 09-23-12 at 05:01 AM.
    glawayne and TBone4eva like this.
    09-23-12 04:51 AM
    There is a problem with the PB USB charging port. No one who has been reading CrackBerry for long would be surprised at the OP's post.

The technical explanation is here, complete with diagrams:
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7062518

Please read the above post before expounding on the difficulty/impossibility of damaging the USB port. This was a design decision by RIM which allows the same port to be used for charging the PB and for powering USB attached peripherals. The plug is different from that used on most USB-powered devices. Unfortunately, USB peripherals are still not supported on the PB (although rooted PBs could activate the unfinished USB code and use some peripherals). It is clearly safer to use the rapid charger, and avoid using the USB port to charge the PB.

Over and over, posters have reported here that PBs in store displays had broken USB ports. Many people have reported that RIM (actually, the company it hired to handle repairs) has repaired this problem for them. I even remember at least one person who wrote that RIM repaired this problem for him even though his PB was out of warranty.

Some people have reported repairing the USB port by simply bending the contacts back to the original position. Of course, if the contacts are actually broken, or if the plug solder joints are broken, that would not work.

Read the entire thread linked above for examples of just about everything I mentioned here.

While there is a design weakness, I doubt that this problem would imply some kind of legal liability for RIM. After all, it is necessary to jam the the USB cable in upside down in order to damage the USB port (even if it is easy to do). As with nearly all USB cables, you must orient the cable plug so the design/logo/etc on the top.

glawayne, if you use Google to search through older posts on this topic, you may find some posts that will help you win your argument with RIM. I suggest that you search on words that relate to USB warranty, repair, etc., using the Google tag "site:forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/" which will localize results to this PB CB forum. (I find that such a restricted Google search is much more useful than CB's own weak search function.)
    Thanks for the information. The use of Micro-AB port is apparently a failure from RIM, as it indeed caused a lot damages. I have 3 laptops and several mobile phones at home, have never checked the orientation of a usb port before plugging in, because it would stop me if I got it wrong (after a long time I've learned which is the right way), But for that PB it was not that lucky, as the connector can indeed be plugged in upside down, and after a few times, the centre part of the port might be broken. My argument with RIM is not for the cost of repair, as that's not a big deal to me. My argument is that, as a big organisation, RIM appears to be very arrogant and deny the possibility of their design flaw. I understand they are under pressure of shrinking market share and trying to save money, but by compromising the quality of customer service, the cost saving won't be able to help them turn around, it could only be getting worse. I would not be surprised if RIM disappears in two years, if they continue to do so. The legal part is just because I have a solicitor friend at hand, I may not go for it, as it would be lengthy and not worth my time.
    09-23-12 11:21 AM
    The use of the Micro-AB connector is not a failure of RIM. This connector is for future OTG uses. It needs to be this connector to be in compliance with the standard. This connector is used in countless products since about 2008.

On that note why not go after Amazon? The Kindle uses the same Micro_AB USB connector also. Do you need more examples of other so called design flaws?

With enough force the plug can go in upside down. As you stated it was even done several times until the centre connector part broke off. Sounds like force to me.

Just because RIM doesn't agree with your warranty claim does not make them a big arrogant corporation. Your arrogance it expecting RIM to pay for your child's improper handling.

The only posts you have posted on this forum have been about RIM being the Big Bad Arrogant and Discriminating Coporation and threatening legal action.
    Last edited by BB_Phoenix; 09-23-12 at 10:01 PM.
    duhoh likes this.
    09-23-12 12:49 PM
    Send tweets to @BlackBerryHelp and cc to @alexkinsela had such repair problem w/ my 9900 and got replacement (I refused to have repair after their unethical problem. They offered 2times repair but I asked for replacement and get it.) Check this: http://forums.crackberry.com/crackbe...unless-733300/

And today I got refund for 2years old Notebook from Media Markt because they refuse to make warranty repair... Always defend your rights as consumer against any company...
    09-23-12 02:06 PM

... Always defend your rights as consumer against any company...
    Even if you broke the thing yourself.?.....i must go out and crash my car then sue Ford for a new one.

I don't see what the big deal is here.....theres loads of places setting up now replacing screens and micro usb's in phones and tablets as they have become more popular...�40 seems to be the going rate in the UK for a micro usb repair......yes the socket is fragile but as said its the standard these days.If i broke my own i would bite the bullet and pay for a repair myself.
    duhoh likes this.
    09-23-12 03:02 PM
    There is actually one good thing about Apple's new lightening connector in that you can put it in either way around. It's a pity that instead of micro usb, an open standard connector with this ability wasn't made the standard for all devices.
    09-23-12 03:19 PM
    There is actually one good thing about Apple's new lightening connector in that you can put it in either way around. It's a pity that instead of micro usb, an open standard connector with this ability wasn't made the standard for all devices.
    That's just like my car key! It's "fool" proof!
    BB_Phoenix likes this.
    09-23-12 03:34 PM
104 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD