article here:
    RIM Readies Tablet to Rival iPad - WSJ.com

"BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. could unveil its new tablet computer�as well as the operating system that will power it�as early as next week at a developers' conference in San Francisco, said people familiar with RIM's plans."

They definitely mentioned in the Q2 press release that BlackBerry followers should "prepare to be wow'd at DevCon"

This is exciting. Anyone have any more info?
    09-21-10 06:46 PM
    09-21-10 06:48 PM
    cant. wait. already started saving my pennies......
    09-21-10 06:53 PM
    the mockup from the SlashGear article is atrocious. I would hope it wouldnt be a giant storm. haha
    09-21-10 06:54 PM
    I really hope it happens, I think if we don't see it during Devcon then we can forget about it releasing this year. If they had something close to being ready to release they would be ignorant not use devcon to show it off.

I'm hoping for the 7" screen size. My father in law has an iPad (he won it in a raffle, and is getting ready to sell it) and it's just to big in my opinion, his opinion also. It never leaves his house because of it's size. But I think a 7 incher would be a lot easier to manage.
    09-21-10 07:02 PM
    09-21-10 07:03 PM
    I really hope it happens, I think if we don't see it during Devcon then we can forget about it releasing this year. If they had something close to being ready to release they would be ignorant not use devcon to show it off.

I'm hoping for the 7" screen size. My father in law has an iPad (he won it in a raffle, and is getting ready to sell it) and it's just to big in my opinion, his opinion also. It never leaves his house because of it's size. But I think a 7 incher would be a lot easier to manage.
    Same here. My dad also has a iPad but its sort of bulky...I love the size of the new galaxy tab...hope the blackpad is the same size

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-21-10 07:05 PM
    One thing I read in the article is that it's only ability to connect to a cellular network will be through your BlackBerry smartphone? I don't understand that. Can someone explain?
    09-21-10 07:14 PM
    One thing I read in the article is that it's only ability to connect to a cellular network will be through your BlackBerry smartphone? I don't understand that. Can someone explain?
    BES only works with one device PIN. U would be unable to get emails or bbms if u were to give it a seperate connection. Wifi will be for web browsing/apps.

It also gets them around the carriers/2 year contract issues.

09-21-10 07:17 PM
    Yes, the tablet will not have a cellular radio in it. It has a WiFi radio and will in theory have a USB port for connecting a BB to it. When out of WiFi area, but in cell service, the data will come in through the BB and show up on the tablet. It's called Tethering and is usually an extra cost for most carriers. TMO does not yet charge. The big question is will RIM somehow subsidize the tethering so that their customers will not incur those extra costs jus to use the tablet out of WiFI areas?
    09-21-10 07:22 PM
    BES only works with one device PIN. U would be unable to get emails or bbms if u were to give it a seperate connection. Wifi will be for web browsing/apps.

ah I see. Thank you.

also I noticed the "Crowded Market" that's been added into the article since I posted it. Seems some editor didn't want a 100% positive article written about RIM and had to find something to downplay it. Standard.
    09-21-10 07:22 PM
    I just care about this OS... hope it isnt too late, hope devs will take interest in it, and hope that new robust devices are rolled out WITH it and SOON! as in Q1
    09-22-10 12:57 AM
    So far nothing we hadn't already heard over the last few months, other than those snippets about Quanta and Marvell. However, what is interesting is that the Journal's sources say BlackBerry has decided to pass on BlackBerry 6, its newest version of the BlackBerry 6 OS, in favor of a completely new OS build by QNX Software Systems. RIM purchased QNX earlier this year, and is said to be planning to transition all BlackBerrys to a QNX OS.
    Bye bye BB OS I guess.

BlackBerry Tablet Possibly Revealed Next Week
    09-22-10 04:48 PM
    ===== QUOTE cplush ====

===== /QUOTE ====

ah I see. Thank you.

also I noticed the "Crowded Market" that's been added into the article since I posted it. Seems some editor didn't want a 100% positive article written about RIM and had to find something to downplay it. Standard.
    What do you expect? There's no fun in a company doing well...unless its apple.

09-22-10 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD