According to MS the Surface has sold over 1M units to date
    I wish. Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't released surface numbers at all, which is causing Analysts to guess at what they are and it's ticking some people off.

Microsoft's lack of Surface disclosure spurs unit guessing game | ZDNet
    01-26-13 08:30 AM
    I believe:
    • RIM will manufacture no more of the current Playbooks
    • RIM will bring out a "BB10 lite" that can work with the current Playbook's hardware limitations to fully integrate the Playbook's use with the new BB10 phones
    • If sales of BB10 phones are good and the reviews of the system are positive, RIM will bring out a new tablet next fall - in time for Christmas -- that fully exploits and enhances the phone's experience on BB10
    oilgeo10 and JeepBB like this.
    01-26-13 08:30 AM
    There will be a new tablet, how they name it and price it and make money off it is anyone's guess. My guess is they will change the naming scheme and will make money by moving some of their fees over to the consumer for expanded cloud services tied to the BlackBerry ID. If you have a blackberry phone it will be cheaper. But if you just have the tablet then you will have to pay full price. I would imagine after a certain point current playbook even will get new cloud services like BBM and these evermore expansions ect, and then the ones we have now with our email pushing to the playbook and syncing so nicely will stop if we are not subscribers. I would guess BlackBerry Music will also tag along with those cloud services and expand with other things we are accustomed to like blackberry protect, Facebook notifications, twitter, etc.

However since carriers are pushing back on this stuff I think RIM is moving to active sync email and touting the other benefits instead, in which case the will be optional. So consumers will likely choose themselves to pay for them or not as part or their data package and it will go onto their blackberry ID and work for all devices.

That is my guess!
    01-26-13 08:43 AM
    Just a couple points from my point of view: I love my PlayBooks (3 of them, I use all the time).

Most of the big box stores have stopped selling the PlayBook, in my area it is for sure on the way out. I don't even recommend it anymore to people who ask me what tablet to buy. I am a RIM fan , but non fans are not going to like the Playbook over the Nexus 7 and iPad mini.

I agree with some comments, the PlayBook LTE is a newer version of the PlayBook,so strictly speaking it is a new model since the release of the PlayBook. However I think it is really stretching the idea of a new model, watching the comparison video's they complete tasks at the same time. The advantage is the ability to not have your PlayBook bridged with your phone I am thinking. I personally can't wrap my head around the $500.00 price tag for this product in a non business environment.

Also I will be very surprised (extremely happy) if the PlayBooks get BB10, I just can't see the hardware supporting it correctly. Keep in mind that one of the "late stories" was that we had to wait for bb10 for new processors that could run it properly.

Just my thoughts.
    01-26-13 12:04 PM
    I'd have a very hard time believing RIM is going to kill the PlayBook if for no other reason than they gave the BB10 phones the same display resolution specifically to eliminate fragmentation between phone and tablet for the purpose of enabling many of the same apps to run on both platforms. I think BB10 is going to take the bridge concept to the next level and (hopefully) breath new life into the PlayBook.

Besides the fact that it's the only tablet I have any desire whatsoever to own and use.
    01-26-13 01:16 PM
    I'd have a very hard time believing RIM is going to kill the PlayBook if for no other reason than they gave the BB10 phones the same display resolution specifically to eliminate fragmentation between phone and tablet for the purpose of enabling many of the same apps to run on both platforms. I think BB10 is going to take the bridge concept to the next level and (hopefully) breath new life into the PlayBook.

Besides the fact that it's the only tablet I have any desire whatsoever to own and use.
    they dont have the same resolution though. they have the same aspect ratio.
    01-26-13 01:22 PM
    ... Keep in mind that one of the "late stories" was that we had to wait for bb10 for new processors that could run it properly.
    A new processor that an exude enough power while maintaining batter life on a small phone battery... not an issue with the playbook, it's battery is huge. BB10 is a refined version of the playbook os.. it consumes no more resources then the current version of the playbook OS.

I don't understand for the life of me why there is still speculation on this.. this isn't a rumor or a leak that we can debate or disagree with.. RIM HAS DIRECTLY SAID they would be updating the current playbook to BB10.. it's not a guess, or maybe, it's a fact. If you want to debate WHEN then knock yourselves out.. but debating IF is beating a dead horse anyone who's paying attention already knows the answer to.
    BigFelter likes this.
    01-26-13 01:23 PM
    I don't understand for the life of me why there is still speculation on this.. this isn't a rumor or a leak that we can debate or disagree with.. RIM HAS DIRECTLY SAID they would be updating the current playbook to BB10.. it's not a guess, or maybe, it's a fact. If you want to debate WHEN then knock yourselves out.. but debating IF is beating a dead horse anyone who's paying attention already knows the answer to.
    RIM has definitely said a lot of things regarding the Playbook, most of which failed to arrive, failed to arrive in a timely manner, or, if delivered, was rudimentary at best or half-***'d at worst. I think the reason you are seeing this being debated is that for those of us who have been around a long time with RIM or who bought the Playbook on launch day knowing what RIM "definitely" said regarding it, it's hard not to be skeptical. And as much as we see evidence of a new RIM, it's hard to forget their past.

I hope that BB10 makes it way to the Playbook and im just as excited as everyone else regarding their new phones and OS. But if I've learned anything from my years of using RIM products, is not to presume that everything they say is gospel. A grain of salt is recommended.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-26-13 02:46 PM
    Could I please get one of you with a Dev Alpha unit to answer some questions for me?
    With regards to the screenshots and video I've seen on the phones being all done in portrait mode, CAN the phone do landscape mode? My 9810 can do both.

If the Z10 can do landscape mode, what do the 4 home tiles look like? Is there a way you can post a screenshot to your answer? I am thinking they're going to be all squished or even laid out side by side [] [] [] [] fashion. I'm trying to figure out what the UI experience will be on a PlayBook. I myself use my PB in landscape mode 99% of the time (the only time I do portrait is when an app makes me adjust it). Switching that user experience to portrait mode to interact with the device is going to irritate me. So I imagine being able to do it in landscape mode...

Thanks for your input and time.

UPDATE: Found a new NerdBerry screenshot (Original credit goes to BlackberryScoop) that may or may not be real or what have you but it displays the 4 home tiles in horizontal fashion landscape style [] [] [] [] which was what I would have thought it would be. It will be cool to see how RIM finally brings this to be...

See the pic here: https://twitter.com/BlackberryScoop/...98742041595904 take it for what it's worth. It's weird that Angry Birds is rotated to portrait and the rest of the tiles aren't...I know the entire image needs a 90 degree rotate but still, check out Angry Birds...

Attachment 132632
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 01-26-13 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added source pic URL.
    01-26-13 03:16 PM
    It's interesting also to see a BlackBerry Logo button like our 7.x phones have...hmmmm.
    01-26-13 05:53 PM
    RIM has definitely said a lot of things regarding the Playbook, most of which failed to arrive, failed to arrive in a timely manner, or, if delivered, was rudimentary at best or half-***'d at worst. I think the reason you are seeing this being debated is that for those of us who have been around a long time with RIM or who bought the Playbook on launch day knowing what RIM "definitely" said regarding it, it's hard not to be skeptical. And as much as we see evidence of a new RIM, it's hard to forget their past.

I hope that BB10 makes it way to the Playbook and im just as excited as everyone else regarding their new phones and OS. But if I've learned anything from my years of using RIM products, is not to presume that everything they say is gospel. A grain of salt is recommended.
    I think you're painting the new RIM with the old brush.. RIM hasn't broken any promises since Thor has been in charge.. unless you count the BB10 delay, but I certainly don't.. they were very upfront with that, and have a very good reason for pushing the launch until now.. hardly a broken promise like the old regime. To just say "RIM" has broken promises in the past seems like an empty statement.. "RIM" is just a name.. the old management broke promises, but they aren't there anymore.. the new management hasn't done anything to warrant our skepticism.. Had someone bought them out would we be skeptic of the new owners? something tells me no.. but because they operate under the same name we assume they are the same even though it's all new people making the decisions.

Can't say if this is real or not.. definitely has more potential to be real then the previous 'leaked' screen shots.. I'm not sure what I think of it though.. the 4 tiles look very squished together.. the button bar at the bottom doesn't seem necessary.. I think I'd like to see the larger tiles in the carousel style remain on the playbook as it is now.

In fact this really just looks like they tried to take the phone os and throw it on the playbook.. hopefull it's just a landscape screenshot from a dev device that someone photoshopped the phone button out of.. I'm ok with the phones looking like this in landscape.. and I understand wanting a large amount of similarity between BB10 on phones and BB10 on the tablet, but I hope they are customizing it for a tablet experience and screen size and not just making an exact copy.
    Last edited by just_luc; 01-26-13 at 06:13 PM.
    01-26-13 06:02 PM
    look again. the phone and search icons are there, just greyed out. also look again at the screen and the image, it very clearly doesnt fit at the top and bottom of the screen. As for the reflection, thats simply a screencap from a dev alpha being shown in the PB pictures app.

As for BB10 for PlayBook, yes its coming, RIM has said this plenty of times, plus the UI design is in BBUI.js for webworks, however i think your talking may at BBLive.
    I think you saw a much different picture than what i linked to but it doesn't matter, i believe that all current playbooks will be updated and NOT that new versions will be released with bb10 like some believe.
    Last edited by omega supreme; 01-26-13 at 09:29 PM.
    01-26-13 07:05 PM
    It would silly and a bad marketing move. Thats why RIM will do it.
    01-26-13 07:22 PM
    It would silly and a bad marketing move. Thats why RIM will do it.
    In what world would killing off the PlayBook be a bad marketing move? It was very poorly-received, never sold terribly well despite the massive price cuts, and is now two years old - an eternity in the tech world. It's time for something new, to go hand-in-hand with the new RIM that they're trying to embody with BlackBerry 10. I'm just glad they didn't decide to leave us PlayBook users out in the cold without BlackBerry 10, seeing as the advantages are debatable.
    01-26-13 07:41 PM
    they dont have the same resolution though. they have the same aspect ratio.
    They're both 1024 x 600, no (except the X10)? I always understood resolution to be the number of vertical and horizontal pixels. Anyway, that number was intentionally made the same, and for that reason I'd be very surprised if the PB is gonna get axed.
    01-27-13 01:20 AM
    Well, if BB10 is only rolled out to a new model of Playbook, mine will be sold via classifieds, and RIM will never see a red cent from me again.
    01-27-13 04:33 AM
    They're both 1024 x 600, no (except the X10)? I always understood resolution to be the number of vertical and horizontal pixels. Anyway, that number was intentionally made the same, and for that reason I'd be very surprised if the PB is gonna get axed.
    1280x768 and 720x720 are the resolutions on the bb10 phones i think per the crackberry post. Aspect ratio is about 16:9 or 16:10
    01-27-13 10:40 AM
    Well, if BB10 is only rolled out to a new model of Playbook, mine will be sold via classifieds, and RIM will never see a red cent from me again.
    That's telling them. They will be bricking it now
    01-27-13 12:23 PM
    1280x768 and 720x720 are the resolutions on the bb10 phones i think per the crackberry post. Aspect ratio is about 16:9 or 16:10
    Hmmmmm .... they are indeed 1280x768. I stand ... errr, sit ... corrected.
    01-27-13 02:58 PM
    That's telling them. They will be bricking it now
    I find it humoress how snarky and defensive many on these forums seem to be. If you are fine with a company lying to you about their support of a very expensive consumer electronic, that's fine, waste your money however you want. However, ANYONE that stays with this company if and when they roll out BB10 for a new tablet only, complete with apps direly needed on the PB deserves what they get.
    02-08-13 11:39 PM
    Yep, they were killing it lol.
    06-29-13 06:27 PM
    Dead died and gone

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 07:10 PM
    They may have killed it quietly but the victim's friends are raising a ruckus and shouting.
    Cynycl and JeepBB like this.
    06-29-13 09:00 PM
    does anyone think that the reason why they did not release a update to bb10 could be because they are releasing a new tablet at the end of the year as there road map suggested or that they have found a new os for the playbook that they want to use that built on top of bb10 instead of using the phones build or core which would make more sense tablets and phones are not the same thing
    07-05-13 03:37 PM
124 ... 345