Some here probably know this, but I read in an HP email flyer that they will be releasing 3 tablets in February, not long after the BB10 release. But these are business tablets and priced accordingly. They will run Windows 8. HP's ElitePad 900 tablet outshines the TouchPad - except its price | Digital Trends

I don't think RIM will want to psss off all of us who bought Playbooks. After all, we are eitehr existing or potential phone customers. So, we will probably get a BB10 OS update and a lot of new apps. This will keep us going for another couple of years by which time the PBs will quietly die off.

Maybe in the meantime, RIM will come out with a new business oriented tablet, like HP is. But this one will be secure and fit in well with the new phones which RIM hopes business and government will adopt.

Retail PBs are probably not a high priority for RIM. And the sell off in accessories and PBs is not a good sign.
    01-24-13 07:46 PM
    Ahhhhhhhhgggggg!!!!! Stop guessing and then second guessing each other about the playbook and bb10. Rim has said it will get bb10 and they will keep their word. Just wait the 5 (etarnally long) days and we'll know.

Either way, as long as the new apps come upon the bb10 launch I'm happy. By the way, I bought my playbook in October. The improvements to the App World that have been made since then are so incredible that 5-yes 5 previously non-bb users were convinced to buy one. Now all of them are looking forward to ditch their icrap and fandroids.

If you really want the playbook to get bb10, you need to get others to buy bb10 phones so rim can stay in business.

#bb10believe #yoloswag4-20
    01-24-13 07:46 PM
    Unfortunately, I think the PlayBook is probably dead, tipped off with all of the accessories in store clearance bins. Even I picked up a rapid charger and journal convertible case for $25 from a Staples clearance bin. I also think that RIM would prefer a phablet before another tablet if BB10 is a big success.
    01-24-13 08:04 PM
    I think that we may not see any other playbooks anymore. The reason for this is because hardware is not making them any money. Considering that Heins is considering selling the hardware manufacturing side of RIM, it is possible that it will be the end. However, if they decide to keep the hardware side and come out with another tablet, they may want stay clear of the PlayBook name. It will bring up too many negative views and will hurt its chances. It was the PlayBook that made me convert from Apple, so I do have an attachment to it. However, not everyone has the same view, if they came out with a new name and new look it would have a much better chance of finding more buyers especially if came with bb10.
    01-24-13 08:10 PM
    Oh thanks, I somehow missed the last 12 updates .......once again thanks for the info.
    Hehehehehe......
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-24-13 08:16 PM
    Oh thanks, I somehow missed the last 12 updates .......once again thanks for the info.
    I probably shouldn't have been so sarcastic. One of those days. Wasn't my intention to offend.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-24-13 08:20 PM
    Agreed, the likelihood of another Playbook is next to none, especially with the inventory rundown on the accessories, LTE and WiFi reaching EOL, and RIMs desire for licensing BB10, the best to hope for is something like the Galaxy Note line of handsets. From a hardware perspective, the PB served as a beneficial proving ground for QNX and the evolution of BB10 including building of their software ecosystem, but the statement "Once bitten, twice shy." will keep RIM from going down that hardware route especially with the amount of money written down and competitors being able to deliver hardware at considerably lower prices.
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    01-24-13 08:24 PM
    I don't think RIM will want to psss off all of us who bought Playbooks.
    I'd like to think we matter too, though companies have surprised me a lot in the past. Imagine being one of those poor HP Touchpad early adopters. Here it is ... now we're getting out of the business.

RIM must be getting to a point where they have to make a decision about the PlayBook. 2 million have shipped, they've said the inventory is vastly improved which means they might be starting to run low.

Either they 1) new a new run; 2) do a new tablet; or 3) get out
    01-24-13 08:27 PM
    I feel they will hold on to the playbook as there 7 inch tablet and we will see os10 in the next two months on the device. With bridge being such a inventive and exciting ability for communication to the phones, I think they will use it to try to compete with the ipad. I think the best way to do this is to release a new 10 inch tablet and feel it'll happen this summer.
    01-24-13 08:35 PM
    As much as I love my playbook, and it completely changed my life. School, work, bus rides, and at home. It's always with me and serves me well.

As much as I love it, i can't see how they can make money with it. This awesome piece of hardware is worth much more than 130$. And to compete with amazon and nexus as pointed up...it just cant happen.
    01-24-13 08:41 PM
    2 things are happening.. our playbooks will get updated to BB10 as Rim has stated multiples times.. however, it is also being discontinued. Not because they are exiting the tablet space, but in favor of a new model, likely with a new name, and ridding on the success of BB10 rather then the stigma (even though only perceived by some) of the 1st playbook launch.

The update will bring the current playbooks up to date, and those of us who wish to keep them may do so... but it will also act as the final beta for RIM. They will then launch a brand new, BB10 tablet.

RIM has stated multiples times they are committed to the tablet space and focused on mobile computing. That doesn't mean however that they are committed to maintaining this one tablet forever.
    Last edited by just_luc; 01-24-13 at 08:54 PM.
    Harryl6134 and web99 like this.
    01-24-13 08:42 PM
    If RIM can get half the people that bought the playbook to upgrade to a bb10 phone within 4 months of launch then getting the current playbook bb10 becomes a ton less important IMO. Sure some people will be pissed but you already got them to buy a bb10 phone and that is the goal. As everyday goes by bb10 on the current playbook means less and less to me. Im in the market for a new tablet as it is, both of mine are 2 years old for the most part and i want new hardware. I will have a bb10 phone hopefully in less than 15 days and that is more what i care about.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-24-13 08:47 PM
    If RIM can get half the people that bought the playbook to upgrade to a bb10 phone within 4 months of launch then getting the current playbook bb10 becomes a ton less important IMO. Sure some people will be pissed but you already got them to buy a bb10 phone and that is the goal. As everyday goes by bb10 on the current playbook means less and less to me. Im in the market for a new tablet as it is, both of mine are 2 years old for the most part and i want new hardware. I will have a bb10 phone hopefully in less than 15 days and that is more what i care about.
    That's a very slanted view on reality..

Obviously the phones are priority one, as they (and the services that go with them) are RIM's bread and butter.. but RIM wants to be the leader in mobile computing, and compete with Apple.. that requires they continue to offer a tablet, and that there is excellent synergies between that tablets OS and their phone OS. They will release a shiny new BB10 tablet. I don't know if it'll be announced Jan 30th or not.. but it is coming. And since they are developing the software anyway for their new tablet.. it only makes sense that they would release it on the current playbook as well.. to appease currents users and make good on their promise to do so.. to erase the current playbook OS that faced and continues to face critisims (just a fact, not saying I agree.. I quite like it) and lastly to achieve multiple millions of people testing the software prior to releasing that new tablet.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    01-24-13 09:05 PM
    Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps RIM is simply selling off inventory that has Playbook OS 2.x preinstalled on them? I have no doubt that a new model will soon make its way onto the scene, but in the meantime they may be just rebranding and or repackaging new PlayBooks with BB10 preinstalled. It's a thought. RIM have repeatedly stated that BB10 is coming to existing Playbooks and leaked screenshots are now slowly making their way onto the net.
    01-24-13 09:10 PM
    Has it occurred to anyone that perhaps RIM is simply selling off inventory that has Playbook OS 2.x preinstalled on them? I have no doubt that a new model will soon make its way onto the scene, but in the meantime they may be just rebranding and or repackaging new PlayBooks with BB10 preinstalled. It's a thought. RIM have repeatedly stated that BB10 is coming to existing Playbooks and leaked screenshots are now slowly making their way onto the net.
    Leaked screenshots? Care to share?
    01-24-13 09:18 PM
    That's a very slanted view on reality..

Obviously the phones are priority one, as they (and the services that go with them) are RIM's bread and butter.. but RIM wants to be the leader in mobile computing, and compete with Apple.. that requires they continue to offer a tablet, and that there is excellent synergies between that tablets OS and their phone OS. They will release a shiny new BB10 tablet. I don't know if it'll be announced Jan 30th or not.. but it is coming. And since they are developing the software anyway for their new tablet.. it only makes sense that they would release it on the current playbook as well.. to appease currents users and make good on their promise to do so.. to erase the current playbook OS that faced and continues to face critisims (just a fact, not saying I agree.. I quite like it) and lastly to achieve multiple millions of people testing the software prior to releasing that new tablet.
    They can still try to be the mobile leader and releasing a new PB with bb10 will help lead the way and properly showcase what the new OS can do on a tablet. They cant compete using the old PB IMO

yes but they are fake photos.
    01-24-13 09:20 PM
    Leaked screenshots? Care to share?
    The screenshot from Nerdberry was debunked as being more than likely fake earlier today. I fell for it...
    Look for the thread called Playbook 10 [unfounded speculation] and the screenshot is in there.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 01-24-13 at 09:34 PM.
    tufcustomer likes this.
    01-24-13 09:21 PM
    A couple of points to suggest RIM is not abandoning the tablet format. First, they are announcing a PLATFORM as well as two new devices next week. They've always said BB10 is more than superphones. Abandoning tablets such as the PlayBook doesn't jive with a platform launch and is, in fact, completely against that messaging. Second, RIM just sponsored a major international meeting of Chiefs of police in Europe. In fact they were a platinum sponsor. They are pushing big time a total mobile experience - phones and tablets - with police forces. Now I don't know if they will eventually change the branding but I think there is plenty of evidence that RIM isn't abandoning tablets and I think that means we will be seeing a BB10 update for the PlayBook at some point in the future.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    01-24-13 09:22 PM
    They can still try to be the mobile leader and releasing a new PB with bb10 will help lead the way and properly showcase what the new OS can do on a tablet. They cant compete using the old PB IMO
    I never said anything about them competing using the old playbook.. in fact I came right out and said the current playbook will be discontinued, and a new model designed for BB10 will come out, and I'm sure it will have newer and better specs. BUT seeing as the current model is capable of running BB10.. they will, and should release it as an upgrade both because they said they would, and because it's a win win to be able to real world test it before the new model is launched.
    01-24-13 09:24 PM
    Let's try to think like RIM's CEO... our priority is the survival of the company and the protection (interest) of our investors... "cost reduction" is one of the best approach... meaning, we have to let go those people that we don't need as well as those "products" that are no longer profitable... now, is PlayBook is still profitable to RIM?...

There are only two driven forces or agendas that will push RIM to roll out BB10 to PB... the first one is that BB10 becomes successful that there is a big possibility that it will become successful too in tablet i.e. there is a market and a demand (and this is the fact that we need to attract more investors so we continue our business)... and the second one is because RIM's CEO made a promise... but between the two, the first one still most likely to happen... the second one, well, we all know that some promises are made to be broken... regardless of what...

But as PB owners and if we want RIM to have an agenda for them to continue supporting the PB, we have to support the BB10 in mobile... then we will have a high possibility that our PB will still be continously supported as promised...
    01-24-13 09:37 PM
    "Killing" or letting go of previous products by introducing new products is only natural cycle in business world... and RIM, like Apple or Samsung, is still business-oriented organisations... they are not humanitarian organisation... that is why, don't get me wrong on this, but it is still puzzle me why there are people who are dying to defend these companies (e.g. "i"Sheep, "a"Sheep, "w"Sheep and "black" sheep) - when all these companies main concern is to earn... unless these "sheeps" are getting something for defending them...
    01-24-13 09:49 PM
    see my thread from about 5 days ago
    RIM may separate software and hardware divisions

so if there is a new PB it will be sold from a third vendor, like Samsung .................
    and will run BB OS10
    The rumor is that even the new BB10 phone is made by Samsung
    Android tablet maker can easily use a similar tablet with BB os10
    lets just hope OS10 is compatible with our beloved PB
    we may even see a 9,5 inch PB

the same as MSFT is doing it, they brought out a tablet by themselves to start the sell, than let hardware vendors take over
    google goes the other direction with their MOTO phones
    01-24-13 10:08 PM
    If RIM drops support for my playbook I will be far less likely to buy a new bb10 phone. I can't invest again if they abandon my previous investment.
    TroubleTrouble and mcmolineux like this.
    01-24-13 10:19 PM
    see my thread from about 5 days ago
    RIM may separate software and hardware divisions

so if there is a new PB it will be sold from a third vendor, like Samsung .................
    and will run BB OS10
    The rumor is that even the new BB10 phone is made by Samsung
    Android tablet maker can easily use a similar tablet with BB os10
    lets just hope OS10 is compatible with our beloved PB
    we may even see a 9,5 inch PB

the same as MSFT is doing it, they brought out a tablet by themselves to start the sell, than let hardware vendors take over
    google goes the other direction with their MOTO phones
    If I can get the BB 10 OS on my old TouchPad one day I'd do a backflip...go hacker nerds! That's an update I'd pay for...
    01-24-13 10:21 PM
    Let's try to think like RIM's CEO... our priority is the survival of the company and the protection (interest) of our investors... "cost reduction" is one of the best approach... meaning, we have to let go those people that we don't need as well as those "products" that are no longer profitable... now, is PlayBook is still profitable to RIM?...

There are only two driven forces or agendas that will push RIM to roll out BB10 to PB... the first one is that BB10 becomes successful that there is a big possibility that it will become successful too in tablet
    You're logic is small picture I'm afraid.

Yes of course priority one is for a company to make money.. BUT that's not the sole reason for existence for each product it offers. Now I'm not saying a new playbook won't be profitable.. I certainly think it can be. I think if BB10 is as successful as we all hope it will be, and RIM rises to a leading position in the mobile space once again, people will buy a blackberry tablet in droves just because they own a blackberry phone like people now do with anything that starts with an "i" (i have an iphone, I must have an ipad!) . BUT even if that wasn't the case.. sometimes a loss leader needs to exist to keep a company relevant in another space. People want an end to end solution.. and even if what I said above didn't come true for RIM, they would still need a tablet to protect themselves from the reverse.. ie, people who would use a blackberry phone, but also want a tablet, and want both with the same OS, so they end up with an iphone and an ipad..

RIM knows this.. apple has ios phones, and ipads, google has android phones and android tablets.. microsoft has wp8 phones and wp8 tablets.. RIM KNOWS it needs to maintain a full mobile solutions which will include phones AND tablets.. it's not an option.. and they've said time and time again they were not abandoning the tablet space so I don't know why there continues to be speculation..

Yes the current PB will be discontinued.. but that's only because its 2 years old.. that a lifetime in electronics.. and also maybe a little because it's been stigmatized and will never recover from the price cutting.. but I would eat my hat if does not launch a new tablet to replace it. And as I've said before, despite the fact that the current PB will no longer be produced.. it just makes good sense that they would release the updated software for it. Its a move that will have very little cost outlay for the company, because a tablet version of BB10 is already being developed for their next gen tablet.. so little resources are need to adapt it to the current model. Its a move that will garner them good will within their current user base by making current owners happy and keeping their promise and lastly RIM has a vert good history of updating discontinued devices with the latest software right up until the software surpasses the hardware's ability's (apple is also pretty good for that.. each time a new ios device comes out the old devices get new software)

There's really no speculation here.. its just time, and the general course of electronics life cycle..
    01-24-13 10:45 PM
124 1234 ...