The title says it all. Recently I have notice an interesting trend here in Toronto that Playbook accessories are being heavily discounted, and once they sell out are disappearing of the shelves for good. Items that were regular $60-80 such as cases or charging stands are going for like $4. Not that I'm complaining, I'm taking full advantage of it to get accessories for my playbook that I did not already have. Back to the point though, is this the build up to a quiet demise of the Playbook or is January 30th (or later) going to bring a surprise with the Playbook 3 (if you consider wifi pb 1 and LTE pb 2). I really hope not, I genuinely think this tablet is better than most on the market. Thoughts?
    01-24-13 05:50 PM
    Personally I think you'll see a new model Playbook in March.
    potatoheadguy and FSeverino like this.
    01-24-13 05:52 PM
    Dunno. Just read that Bell is end of lifing the PlayBook LTE.

Maybe Thor and team have found a way to make money in the tablet game and will relaunch with something new when BlackBerry 10 is tablet ready. But I haven't the foggiest idea of how that will happen.

Tough game when you've got Google selling the Nexus for dirt cheap because they make money on search and Amazon selling Kind Fires for dirt cheap because they make money on content. RIM needs to find their way to compete and I don't know what that is.

On the other hand, it must worry them when they hear some CIO say, "we need an alternative to BlackBerry and since we already support the iPad as a cheaper replacement for laptops ..."
    01-24-13 05:59 PM
    You can bet there is a hardware refresh that is ready to go (my guess) -- with BB10. Whether or not it ever is released will depend on how the first handsets do -- also my guess. I mean think about it. It would have taken very little effort for RIM to put together an updated hardware package. And if they are already committed to releasing BB10 on the PlayBook then that work is already being done anyway.
    kbz1960 and Shadowyugi like this.
    01-24-13 06:00 PM
    Depends on what you mean by kill.
    01-24-13 06:02 PM
    I've noticed this also. Well...... The PlayBook is almost two years old.......an eternity in the electronic world. I still hope it gets BB10, but I doubt it
    01-24-13 06:04 PM
    This is the second time they have done this since I bought my Playbook just over a year ago. I don't think it has anything to do with them killing the Playbook.

James
    01-24-13 06:13 PM
    I've noticed this also. Well...... The PlayBook is almost two years old.......an eternity in the electronic world. I still hope it gets BB10, but I doubt it
    There is a newer PlayBook. I ought to petition moderators to pin that ...

PlayBook LTE ... has 1.5 GHZ dual core processor. Faster and came out more recently ...
    jsdhornby and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-24-13 06:16 PM

PlayBook LTE ... has 1.5 GHZ dual core processor. Faster and came out more recently ...
    And now EOL'ed on the Bell carrier as of yesterday according to a post I put up earlier today...
    01-24-13 06:27 PM
    And now EOL'ed on the Bell carrier as of yesterday according to a post I put up earlier today...

I know. I mentioned that. Just getting tired of people saying RIM hasn't updated the hardware in 18 months. :-)
    hjohnb likes this.
    01-24-13 06:29 PM
    I know. I mentioned that. Just getting tired of people saying RIM hasn't updated the hardware in 18 months. :-)
    Right, got ya...missed that.
    01-24-13 06:30 PM
    It would be a shame, but I would believe it.
    01-24-13 06:30 PM
    So, if you look at the original PlayBook launch and the reviews at the time, it tripped out of the gate ultimately because of a few things: 1) Few apps; 2) OS new and not mature; 3) Missing bundled software; and 4) Priced too high ($499).

In theory, if RIM relaunches a PlayBook with BlackBerry 10, a lot of these things are addressed

1. The PlayBook has a lot more apps now than when launched; RIM has made a lot more moves to get apps; and PlayBook would have the benefit of getting apps made for the higher volume BlackBerry phones. This is an easier sell than trying to get devs to make PlayBook apps alone.

2. The OS has gone through 10 iterations and is about to go through a big, big upgrade with BlackBerry 10. In theory, this will fill in a lot of remaining piece, improve performance etc.

3. The software has generally been filled in on PlayBook as of 2.1 and BlackBerry 10 would bring improved Cascades versions

That leave #4 and this is the one I struggle with. How does RIM sell this thing at a competitive price and make money? I know people called them arrogant for pricing so high, but they also probably couldn't afford to launch much cheaper
    01-24-13 06:34 PM

Seriously.......hummm..... sorta like the 4 and 4s. Oooooooookay
    01-24-13 06:35 PM
    I'm down to buy another, updated PlayBook. My current 32GB has served me since I bought it (like all products with the BlackBerry name on it), and I really feel like they have provided solid updates for it ever since it launched.

I've always had a BlackBerry since I've had my PlayBook, so I was not one of the many who had no BBM or email or calendar. In a way I think OS 2 was kind of like BlackBerry 10 will be--how we had to wait longer than expected, but once it arrived, it was worth the wait.
    01-24-13 06:36 PM
    Seriously.......hummm..... sorta like the 4 and 4s. Oooooooookay
    The point is still the same, whether you agree with how much of a hardware upgrade it is or not. Stop saying they haven't released hardware in two years ...
    crazeee4u likes this.
    01-24-13 06:37 PM
    The point is still the same, whether you agree with how much of a hardware upgrade it is or not. Stop saying they haven't released hardware in two years ...
    STOP SAYING.......maybe you need to mind your manners and go back to what I posted. I never said anything about hardware. I've had my PlayBook since May 2011 (won it in a Crackberry contest for release date) I'm well aware of the hardware updates. The PlayBook is almost two years old ......thats an eternity in the electronic industry.......PERIOD
    kevinnugent likes this.
    01-24-13 06:44 PM
    I do think there is a new tablet coming, but also I don't think they they plan on just droppiing the PB, they have kept up with the updates and stated that BB10 will be coming to the PB.
    pchapple13 likes this.
    01-24-13 06:47 PM
    I just got a playbook Version 2 in December it was released in Oct 2012 so I am not sure why rim would kill the line off not make sense as this updated model is faster and is also LTE I have the 32gb model and got it for 99.97 dollars plus tax in Ontario Canada awesome deal I got.

I use wifi mostly, but have a 5gb shared plan with my mobile provider for those times I am away from wifi, just awesome I say.
    jsdhornby and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-24-13 06:51 PM
    STOP SAYING.......maybe you need to mind your manners and go back to what I posted. I never said anything about hardware. I've had my PlayBook since May 2011 (won it in a Crackberry contest for release date) I'm well aware of the hardware updates. The PlayBook is almost two years old ......thats an eternity in the electronic industry.......PERIOD
    Oh, settle down. :-)

You wrote " Well...... The PlayBook is almost two years old.......an eternity in the electronic world.". This suggests that they're still selling the same old thing with no changes or improvements. The reality is - they have improved it in two years.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-24-13 06:51 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is, without a doubt, coming to the PlayBook. But the hardware is in all likelihood on its way out. It's been around for an eternity, and because of its rough launch it's had difficult gaining any traction. We'll probably see a new, BB10-equipped tablet sometime this year, and it will almost certainly have a new name to avoid links with the past.
    01-24-13 06:54 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is, without a doubt, coming to the PlayBook. But the hardware is in all likelihood on its way out. It's been around for an eternity, and because of its rough launch it's had difficult gaining any traction. We'll probably see a new, BB10-equipped tablet sometime this year, and it will almost certainly have a new name to avoid links with the past.
    Going from their recent phone naming scheme, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a letter and a number and that was it. I myself do NOT like their new naming scheme. Good old PlayBook 2 would work for me - Don't pull an iPad and revert naming and numbering back to the first released version once more (anyone I know still calls it iPad 3).
    01-24-13 06:58 PM
    I am willing to bet BB10 will be an upgrade from Playbook version 2 like I have in which I just posted about it
    01-24-13 06:59 PM
    Oh, settle down. :-)

You wrote " Well...... The PlayBook is almost two years old.......an eternity in the electronic world.". This suggests that they're still selling the same old thing with no changes or improvements. The reality is - they have improved it in two years.
    Oh thanks, I somehow missed the last 12 updates .......once again thanks for the info.
    sean0808 likes this.
    01-24-13 07:17 PM
    its a win, win BB10 phone, PB update to BB10 and probally a nice desktop update to go with it. awhole lot to keep me happy till next tablet or even longer.
    bbfan1040 and Vickophan like this.
    01-24-13 07:27 PM
124 123 ...