I'm surprised most people are pre-ordering and not picking them up in the store. Am I wrong in assuming that you can get it earlier that way? I don't want to wait even a day longer then I have to.
    I definitely want this thing, but I do want to get my hands on it first and make sure it's everything I think it is before plunking down any coin. Will def be planning a long lunch trip to Best Buy that day.
    03-22-11 08:47 AM
    I'm surprised most people are pre-ordering and not picking them up in the store. Am I wrong in assuming that you can get it earlier that way? I don't want to wait even a day longer then I have to.
    I don't know about that. I know we're taking about different products here but when people pre-ordered the iphone for vz and the ipad, people were getting them a few days before the release date...i am hoping that is the case witht the PB.
    03-22-11 08:47 AM
    RIM's fiscal Q1 is March, April, May... so they didn't "really" miss. Did they ever say if it was calendar Q1?
    They said Calendar
    And they said. Q1 2011

RIM's March April May Q1 is 2012

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 08:49 AM
    I've already convinced myself that if the PlayBook isn't everything I've hoped and dreamed it would be, I'm going to return it. It's just too much money to compromise (like I've done with the Storm 1 & 2 ). I'm pretty sure I will love it, but I'm mentally prepared to be okay with returning it if need be.
    03-22-11 08:50 AM
    Well there it is and I'm spared the humiliation of eating crow. I have been saying for a while now they weren't going to get this thing out in Q1.

I can't believe you buried this response in here and didn't start an official 'I Told You So' thread. I'm disappointed.
    03-22-11 08:51 AM
    4/19 official as it gets now:

Twitter / BlackBerry: 4-19-11 #PlayBook http://b ...

At least they didn't screw Canadian customers like Apple has.. the iPad 2 in Canada starts at $519 even though our currency worth more than US right now.
    I am waiting for a #RIMFAIL-playbook Q1?? Twitter trend to start

03-22-11 08:53 AM
    RIM's fiscal Q1 is March, April, May... so they didn't "really" miss. Did they ever say if it was calendar Q1?
    Wow that's probably a stretch but I have no doubt they think that.
    I'm just disappointed (in addition to it being a month later than anticipated) that I didn't get an update, I signed up for their email update list and nothing come through. Now that the whine is over.

You guys think it's worth pre-ordering? After waiting so long the last thing I need is them to run out of PBs when I get to the store.
    Yeah I didn't get an update either.

I pre-ordered 2 this morning through Best Buy, and I have never pre-ordered a device in my life... I even paid the extra for expedited shipping... The nice thing though is that now the debate is over about when its coming out, when am I getting it, what will it cost, etc... Now I can just move on with the last remnants of my pre-playbook life....

PG
    03-22-11 09:17 AM
    At least they didn't screw Canadian customers like Apple has.. the iPad 2 in Canada starts at $519 even though our currency worth more than US right now.
    Soooo true! RIM should put emphasis on that fact for some self promo.
    03-22-11 09:22 AM
    sirhil told us this days ago ....i think he was then told to shutup lol
    03-22-11 09:28 AM
    Whew!!!! Thank God my life is not dependent on the release of this or any other tech!!!!
    I'm tempted to preorder, but I'll wait to see data plans and how the thing feels in my hand first.
    Now can we hear about the Bold Touch, the Apollo and the Torch 2?!!?
    03-22-11 12:58 PM
    telus has it on their website, but no expected dates.
    03-22-11 03:05 PM
    Three points:

1) Q1 is missed, thus RIM fail in that. Not trying to be an a$$ but this is true and needed to be said.
    2) April 19th? Nobody said that date that I remember. It was March 27, March 31, April 1, and April 10. Funny now it is none of those dates.
    3) Now it is going to be released and we have a date what will the forums turn into?

Disappointed, but f*** at least we know. I still want a playbook and will prebuy one and wait, though RIM has kind of fudged it up waiting SO long.
    You're right. The target was missed. I'm not making excuses, just trying to provide a little insight. This is a brand new device. Something RIM has never done before. Believe it or not, it's not a handheld and lots more go into the R&D, dev & firmware than meets the eye. With handhelds everyone is familiar with the process, the code, etc. This is all new and needs to be a hit out of the gate. RIM can't stand to have issues at launch like those that have plagued some of the previous devices. Thus the extra time taken to get it right. The original launch date(Staples Ad/Lotousphere vid) was originally the 27th. And has flopped around a bit with the 4-4 being targeted. The last bundle believed to be the GM, didn't quite make the cut, hence the push back. But the GM is done & devices are being flashed & shipped.
    Again a tablet is a different animal than an handheld, and it's been an adventure. Keep in mind RIM can't afford another bad launch. It's almost a no win situation. Damned if they released it early with bugs, and damned taken time to cross all t's & dot all i's. The latter of the two, while frustrating will ultimately amount to less flack & criticism than the former.
    Altarocks, grover5, Nojo73 and 5 others like this.
    03-22-11 05:32 PM
    You're right. The target was missed. I'm not making excuses, just trying to provide a little insight. This is a brand new device. Something RIM has never done before. Believe it or not, it's not a handheld and lots more go into the R&D, dev & firmware than meets the eye. With handhelds everyone is familiar with the process, the code, etc. This is all new and needs to be a hit out of the gate. RIM can't stand to have issues at launch like those that have plagued some of the previous devices. Thus the extra time taken to get it right. The original launch date(Staples Ad/Lotousphere vid) was originally the 27th. And has flopped around a bit with the 4-4 being targeted. The last bundle believed to be the GM, didn't quite make the cut, hence the push back. But the GM is done & devices are being flashed & shipped.
    Again a tablet is a different animal than an handheld, and it's been an adventure. Keep in mind RIM can't afford another bad launch. It's almost a no win situation. Damned if they released it early with bugs, and damned taken time to cross all t's & dot all i's. The latter of the two, while frustrating will ultimately amount to less flack & criticism than the former.
    There isn't a single point in what you posted that i can't agree with. especially your last paragraph, i want this to be perfect. I want when i get it out of the box and let it update while giving it a 100% charge. Then pick it up and to be totally amazed at the sheer awesomeness that should be what we've been waiting for. Not the anger, shame, disgust, and rants that a few others have had.
    03-22-11 06:04 PM
    I'm just happy to hear they want to make sure it is ready prior to release. I have had several different ship/arrival dates from Staples for the one I pre-ordered today. I am fine waiting for a quality tablet.
    03-22-11 06:50 PM
    I wasn't planning on buying it on day one, as I still have questions about how tethering will work (Tether will have an app, but what impact will AT&T's recent statement have on the ability to use it?), and if necessary, look into the pricing for a tethering data plan and decide if it is worth paying the extra (WiFi only won't work for me).

But, the 19th is my birthday, so maybe I'll go ahead.
    03-22-11 07:04 PM
    Can anyone or CruX tell me if PBs are going to be sold at Office Depots?

So far I have:

Staples
    Best Buy
    03-22-11 11:08 PM
    http://crackberry.com/rim-announces-...berry-playbook

"The BlackBerry PlayBook with Wi-Fi will be available in three models and will feature a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starting at $499 in the United States and Canada. The lineup of retailers and wireless carriers currently expected to carry the BlackBerry PlayBook in the United States and Canada includes the following companies*:

United States

AT&T
    Best Buy
    Cbeyond
    Cellular South
    Cincinnati Bell
    Office Depot
    RadioShack
    ShopBlackBerry.com
    Staples
    Sprint
    Verizon
    BlackBerry from Wireless Giant"

There you go! It's a matter of when....
    tstrike34 likes this.
    03-22-11 11:14 PM
    Any idea of when for a worldwide release?

03-23-11 12:29 AM
    UK in June... That's the only other launch we know about.
    03-23-11 12:34 AM
    I'm fine with waiting a bit to get a truly polished product. As a long time customer of Blizzard Entertainment, part of their mission statement is "At the end of the day, most players won't remember whether the game was late -- only whether it was great." Haven't been disappointed with a single one of their releases so far. I don't mind at all if RIM takes the same approach even though I remember pulling my hair out waiting for a release date for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm lol.
    03-23-11 07:44 AM
    Staples Houston will get their PBs but cannot sell until the 19th. This weekend their get their Xooms and will begin training. Next week is the PBs.

Strangely the managers I talked to said they had no one who has called about the PB (YAY that means I can get one on the 1st day). The online pre orders are drop shipped.

Hope this helps.

By the way, Office Depot folks here on the Island says they are a 2nd or 3rd wave but they have heard nothing about PBs recently.
    03-23-11 07:54 PM
    Well now that the Playbook has an official release date, maybe now RIM can concentrate on getting a release date out for the rumored phones.
    Yeah, there's no way they can do more than one device at a time....
    03-23-11 09:39 PM
    What's the big freekin' deal? Is it really such an "epic fail" to miss Q1 by 2 weeks!? Sure, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. But since this thing is going to cost me some change (I'm ordering the 64gb unit) I would rather have it be right than have it be early.
    03-24-11 12:28 AM
    I wasn't planning on buying it on day one, as I still have questions about how tethering will work (Tether will have an app, but what impact will AT&T's recent statement have on the ability to use it?), and if necessary, look into the pricing for a tethering data plan and decide if it is worth paying the extra (WiFi only won't work for me).
    Can you post a link to the AT&T statement? Thanks.
    03-24-11 06:12 AM
    Can you post a link to the AT&T statement? Thanks.
    There have been a few threads, but here is one

http://forums.crackberry.com/f68/t-c...eaters-595748/
    DUTCH VanAtlanta likes this.
    03-24-11 05:57 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD