So i got a playbook 16gb for xmas, my cousin bought it from the blackberry official website after thanksgiving.

I opened it and played with it for 3 weeks after xmas, then the touchscreen went crazy. I tried for 3x days to revert back to old OS, clean security swipe, holding all 3 buttons and force restart etc. Didnt solve the problem, so i had to call RIM.

Rim states my playbook does not qualify for the 90 day technical service, ok weird since we have proof it was purchased on 11/26/11, I opened it and didnt register the BB ID until the 12/25/11 for it either. And then i started to have issues with it on 1/16/12.

Even from 11/26/11 (original purchase date) to 1/16/12 where the problems started, it had not been 90 days.

I go back and forth about this on the phone with the rep and basically telling her I dont give a flying that i dont qualify for this 90x day , the problem is the product comes with a 1x year warranty and its been less then 90 days from owning it (not even using it) and that they must honor it, she puts me on hold and talks to her supervisor. The supervisor allows my serial # to now be qualified for this free 90 day technical support. I eventually go through 2x other people on the line, after 4x hours get a RMA # and a playbook replacement will be shipped to me

I had a 16gb serial # that started in 1344-xxxx-xxxx

I have gotten my replacement from RIM, this serial # is 1343-xxxx-xxxx

So my question to RIM is how can you NOT HONOR your 1x year warranty for all the playbooks out in the field if the actual device has not been in the consumers hands for 1x year?

Also, why cant you track serial #'s, i assume you should have a list of qty, lot, batch, serial #'s for all the playbooks you ship to your vendors? Or do you guys ship it to them without anything paperwork? And finally how can you not control your own inventory off of your own website?

Oh and yea RIM, you told me i would get a brand new one, i really hope this serial # is not a refurbed one...... since its serial # looks like 400k units before mine was made.

Its just bizzare
    Last edited by FXCLM5; 01-28-12 at 01:23 PM.
    01-28-12 01:20 PM
    You don't expect any of us to be able to do anything, right?

I'm sorry you had to go throught that and glad you have a working PlayBook now.
    01-28-12 01:24 PM
    sheesh! Sounds like quite the rigamarole.

I wonder why you got the runaround like that. Most other posts I've read here have had no problem with RIM's warranty replacement program.

Hopefully your new PB will arrive soon and you'll be a happy camper like the rest of us!
    01-28-12 01:25 PM
    no i expect the manufacture to take all warranty calls seriously since they have a 1x year warranty and the product has not been on the market for 1x year yet.

does it really matter RIGHT NOW what my serial # is, if playbook has not met a 1x year life cycle yet - so RIM can refuse warranty support? I dont think it matters, it makes me mad i had to persuade them to do it for me. Last time i checked we were the paying end customer, and they are there for .......... support.
    01-28-12 01:27 PM
    I trust the OP has heard the expression "You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar?" Perhaps the support experience you received was due in no small part to your attitude, your word choice. By the way, did you mention to them the tablet was received as a Christmas gift?

Did you receive the replacement BlackBerry PlayBook and if so how do you like it?
    01-28-12 01:36 PM
    Sorry to hear that happened. where RIM is right now, they need to treat all their customers well. That being said, I havn't heard many complaints about their customer service b4 you. Glad you have a working PB now & hope you best of luck in the future, hopefully this is a one off story...
    01-28-12 01:40 PM
    I would find that experience to be frustrating as well. But the fact is, they use the serial # to track the devices so I don't see why their request that you provide the serial # is unreasonable. Yes, all PB's are inside the one year period right now cuz they only cam out in April 2011. But within a few months, they'll need to know which ones are beyond the one year period. So that must be why they're tracking them now.

I find dealing with the folks at any 1-800 call centre to be aggravating almost every time, primarily due to their total lack of product knowledge, but I find getting upset or abrupt with them almost never helps to resolve the matter favourably.

Sounds like you got your replacemet ok... but when the 1-800 aggravation occus, it is nice to have the crackberry forums to vent a little. Enjoy your new PB.
    MPG Vancouver likes this.
    01-28-12 01:41 PM
    One good reason for them to require the serial number is so they can track down any cases of people purchasing the stolen PlayBooks...

Also, the fact that one serial number comes before another doesn't mean too much... they're shipped out to many different places, stored here and there, etc... Getting an older serial number basically just means yours was in storage from longer... no big deal.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-28-12 01:49 PM
    NO i called them, provided no data, told them nothing and refused to answer any questions they had. Of course i didnt do that

i was very pleasant with them, i only went sour when the lady on the phone (after going through basic info, purchase date, contact info) and following a link she sent me to put in my serial # did it say i did not qualify, and you must contact RIM. Thats when I told her what the website said, then she started going the, looks like you dont qualify for this service yada yada yada..... but we just discussed about the purchase date - it was bought off the blackberry official website, how can this serial # NOT be covered????

Her response is I cant offer you support, this is the first thing we do, get your basic information, basic information about the playbook, and then i verify your serial #, and this is where we stop at since your not verified.

So im gettin pretty pissed off now, i ask her to explain the 90 day scenario, is it from purchase, is it from first use of the playbook? And then I walk her through the timeframe, regardless of what the start date to the 90 day support i am well within it. She then says she will speak to her supervisor, and finally the supervisor gives her authority to help me support it.
    01-28-12 01:50 PM
    FXCLM5, I don't really see an issue.

You're talking to front-line support staff, who aren't usually authorized to make any fancy decisions about such things. The first lady could only go by what she was told on the system...

The correct action is to request a supervisor, and they'll generally be in a position to make a decision. Since that happened, I suppose all's well that ends well, right?
    01-28-12 02:00 PM
    no i am not mad at her, i am mad at RIM, and she took the end of it, this is what you get when you answer calls from a call center - ESPECIALLY when you are dealing with electronics that people pay big $ for and is well within the 1st release year and they expect to get some warranty support.

NOT the run-around of your serial # is not valid, sorry, cant help you here.

my response ^&!#%$^&!@#^*!^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 90 days @!#*&%(!&#*(!!!!!!!!!!

her response, ok yea doesnt make any sense why i cant help you, lemme talk to my supervisor.

my response - RIM you have foooqued up tracking of all the serial #/units out on the field, its even worst when you cant control the inventory that is being shipped off your own offical website. If you cant control internal inventory on hand, how does your outside vendors do it?
    01-28-12 02:09 PM
    I agree completely with Peter & BB Pandy... the stories I've heard from RIM customer support have pretty much all been very good, with good turnaround and responses.
    01-28-12 02:12 PM
    To the OP, sorry you had a bad experience, mine was quite pleasant in comparison. I went to the online site to register my PB within one week of purchase direct from BB and received an error message regarding my serial number. I called the support phone number on that webpage and my call was answered almost immediately by a rep that manually entered my serial number into their system. He stayed on the line while I tried again to enter my S/N, it worked this time and I received a confirmation email almost instantly for my 90-day complimentary phone technical support and one-year warranty. They did not ask when or where it was purchased, but did explain that most PB serial numbers had to be manually entered, this may be due to how long they have been on store shelves, stored in warehouses, etc. Whole process took maybe 10 minutes.

To all other PB owners that have not gone to the BB website and registered their PB, do it now and save yourself some time and maybe some grief later like the OP has had that was not their fault.

http://us.blackberry.com/support/playbook-support/contact.jsp

Sorry, this link is for US owners only, but I am sure others can find a similar site for their country of residence as easily as I found this site.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-28-12 02:44 PM
    I had to do the 90 day "new" exchange, too, due to bad power button. My time line was buy 11/20, open 12/9 (ordered Otterbox and received), 12/11 started my INC#. I think they know about your S/N and purchase date when you turn it on, register your BB ID, and update it. But I had no issues with the rep. But they did say it would be a "new" PB exchange. I was (still am) a little wary of what I got. Lower S/N (like you) and finger smudges all over it. I told the rep about it and asked to her to check the S/N. This is excerpt of email received:
    "I also checked the serial number of the replacement BlackBerry PlayBook that was sent to you and was able to confirm that it is a brand new BlackBerry PlayBook. I certainly apologize for the fingerprints and smudges on the LCD screen, this is likely from when the repair facility inspected the BlackBerry PlayBook before sending it out to you. "

Someone here said they reset the S/N of refurbs so who knows. I'm just thinking (hoping) they took some PBs out of inventory a while back to return "new" like this.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 01-28-12 at 02:57 PM.
    01-28-12 02:53 PM
    I just tried to register at the link above, but got "Unfortunately, your BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet does not qualify for Complimentary Support. You can, however get assistance using incident based support from Research In Motion." A message below this indicated "incident based support" required a credit card, so it is paid support. As OP's experience shows, RIM apparently has a policy of trying to disclaim customers who need help with the Playbook. Not a smart policy, IMHO. Given the problems RIM faces with the Playbook, you'd think it would err in the other direction.
    01-28-12 04:01 PM
    Dear OP,
    I'm sorry to hear of your frustrating experience, but I'm super glad you got a replacement.

I never did see the response to the inquiry of "did you receive it and how do you like it" questions posted by BB9700CA.

So, did you and do you??
    01-28-12 04:18 PM
    I just tried to register at the link above, but got "Unfortunately, your BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet does not qualify for Complimentary Support. You can, however get assistance using incident based support from Research In Motion." A message below this indicated "incident based support" required a credit card, so it is paid support. As OP's experience shows, RIM apparently has a policy of trying to disclaim customers who need help with the Playbook. Not a smart policy, IMHO. Given the problems RIM faces with the Playbook, you'd think it would err in the other direction.
    I think many people will get that message, whether in error or not, but a quick phone call to the number listed took care of everything for me, no credit card needed, well worth the approximate 10 minute process IMHO.
    01-28-12 04:25 PM
    I got my 32gb the other day and went to register it, same as my 16gb unit. Got the same error everyone else got(my 32 unit is a lower serial number then my 16), called CS and explained to them I just received it the mail not an hour earlier. Nice CS representative told me it probably kicked back the error do to it being housed in a warehouse for a while. they then manually inputted my SN# and my 90 days is valid.

As others have stated, the CS representative was only doing his/her job, when this failed you should have immediately asked for a supervisor and all of your frustration would have been in vain as they would have helped you out better.

To each their own, but the life lesson of live and learn applies here. Not RIM's fault for someone doing their job. Regardless of whether they were right or wrong, they were simply doing what they were instructed to do.
    Bisboxer likes this.
    01-28-12 04:49 PM
    One thing RIM (Mr. Heins) should do is get rid of the needing a credit card after the 90 days are up. Listen to the problem and if it is determined to be user fault tell them there will be a charge. If it is a hardware/software fault no charge.

I know there are many that will try to get by with anything they can so there has to be something in place to weed out the scammers.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-28-12 05:12 PM
    Well if the OP communicates on the phone the way he types, I'm not surprised that he's having trouble.
    Bisboxer likes this.
    01-28-12 06:05 PM
    If you were to call and explain this issue with a little more pleasantness and calmy explain this issue your 90 days is easily reset. And as another poster said the serial number be it 1344 or 1343 means nothing
    01-28-12 10:21 PM
    One thing RIM (Mr. Heins) should do is get rid of the needing a credit card after the 90 days are up. Listen to the problem and if it is determined to be user fault tell them there will be a charge. If it is a hardware/software fault no charge.

I know there are many that will try to get by with anything they can so there has to be something in place to weed out the scammers.
    First of all the advanced exchange option for RMA PlayBook is not available to customers after 90 days but of course requires credit card because you for a short time have 2 tablets in your possession. This practice is also done by beloved apple for any Pre-shipped advanced exchanged products. Once the 90 days elapses your only option is same unit repair RMA so no credit card is needed for that. In terms of free 90 day technical support customers even over the 90 days have continued to be supported for free which cannot be said for many other smartphone companies
    Last edited by artemis17; 01-28-12 at 10:38 PM.
    01-28-12 10:35 PM

Again , call in and this issue will be resolved and you will not be charged. Not one person who has called technical support for PlayBook has been charged any troubleshooting/tech support fee.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    01-28-12 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD