maybe ”strategic” was better ...
    07-14-11 04:14 PM
    Dang it, all this shiz is effecting the value of my PB that I have been trying to sell for the past 2 weeks.
    07-14-11 04:55 PM
    Post it on the front page Kevin!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 06:38 PM
    Post it on the front page Kevin!
    I agree 100%! We need to put some heat on RIM until they fix this stupid problem. This is going to drive developers away from our beloved Playbook!

N4BB has posted it up front and Crackberry needs to as well!

Some Developers Getting Peeved at RIM; SHAPE Cries Out for Help but Gets no Answer � N4BB � News for BlackBerry � leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews
    07-14-11 06:51 PM
    Ever major blackberry fan site has a forum post on sideloading. She has no excuse. I found out about sideloading the day i got my PB simply by reading the CB forums. People will never learn if they dont get off their asses and seek out knowledge.

But hey, since people want to be lazy we'll need to get the CB staff to get into high gear and start posting this stuff on the front page. stickying the topics and just being generally annoying by forcing people to hear it.

Hear that staffies? Need more help? Ill be more than happy to do the work for free...

And sideloading can be done with a .bar wether it signed or not.
    ok so firstly im gonna guess they dont want to sideload for a few reasons, mainly the fact that you wont get updates thru appworld, and secondly if they give ya a .bar file you could put that on a file sharing website within minutes and they`d have no sales! to be clear im not saying anyone here would do that, but there are people in the world that would.

also to be clear on sideloading, if the .bar is signed then you can load it, if the .bar isnt signed, then you can get a debug token from RIM (thru dev portal) and then load the .bar in debug mode, however you`ll need to re-add the debug token every 60 (or 90, not totally certain) days for the app to work.

also, `us` emailing RIM wont get a direct response from them, as a dev id be mortified if RIM was talking to a consumer about the progress my app is making thru their approval system. true it would get them to focus on the app, but i shouldnt expect a reply as to its status other than directly from the developer.
    07-14-11 07:40 PM
    You do not have to use a debug token, you can also sign your application every time you want to load it on to the device. This would mean that for every little code change it would need to be re-signed. There are 2 things to keep in mind when signing your application. The first is that the version number has to be incremented every single time you sign your application(even if you did not change anything) If you try to sign an application with the same version number you will receive an error. You can search RIM's website or google for information on assigning versions numbers to your app. The 2nd thing to keep in mind is you need to be online to sign your app. Doing these 2 things every time you wanted to test your app on the PB would be annoying, which is why debug tokens were created, so you wouldn't have to do all those steps
    Lebdoc likes this.
    07-14-11 07:56 PM
    really?! i was planning on side-loading their application later today to give it a try. is there some reason i shouldn't?

@thread

i've asked on RIM's wall at facebook about the situation with IM+. i doubt i'll get an answer.

-- eldee
    On a facebook fan page? Chances are pretty good you won't get an answer.
    07-14-11 08:04 PM
    all they do is spam the site with pins, its useless. unless they cleaned things up
    07-14-11 08:10 PM
    You do not have to use a debug token, you can also sign your application every time you want to load it on to the device. This would mean that for every little code change it would need to be re-signed. There are 2 things to keep in mind when signing your application. The first is that the version number has to be incremented every single time you sign your application(even if you did not change anything) If you try to sign an application with the same version number you will receive an error. You can search RIM's website or google for information on assigning versions numbers to your app. The 2nd thing to keep in mind is you need to be online to sign your app. Doing these 2 things every time you wanted to test your app on the PB would be annoying, which is why debug tokens were created, so you wouldn't have to do all those steps
    but you wouldnt sign it for every little code change, you`d use a debug token as a developer so you can test it.

3rd thing to remember (but arguably most important) you MUST use the same signing codes for all versions of the app, otherwise you`ll get duplicate apps installed.
    07-14-11 10:27 PM
    Phill I think to be very fair, side loading works, but is not the route a well known company like SHAPE wants to go in terms of distributing their applications. I myself would prefer to see the application come through accepted channels.

For those interested, SHAPE have posted proof of their submission: IM+ Vendor Portal Submission
    ok, so im gonna say something now which in no way makes up for the wait of the product, but should serve as help for new PB devs.

they submitted the app, as can clearly be seen by the image, as a NEW application, this will sit seperate from the phone IM+ application in the listings.
    Had they submitted it as an `update to add new devices` to their existing IM+ listing on appworld, upgrades take up to 48Hrs to process and dont go thru the rigorous testing. this would of enabled them (potentially) to come to market within a few days of uploading the `update`.

i can see pro`s and con`s for having them both seperate and together, so im not saying what they should do, but if your looking for the fastest route to market, then the above is it.
    07-14-11 10:51 PM
    but you wouldnt sign it for every little code change, you`d use a debug token as a developer so you can test it.

3rd thing to remember (but arguably most important) you MUST use the same signing codes for all versions of the app, otherwise you`ll get duplicate apps installed.
    Yes, as a developer that would be true. Tokens expire. Where as you would only have to sign if you deleted the app and wanted to install it at a later date. Debug tokens are for that purpose, debugging. If I had to go through all those steps just to fix an error(and there were multiple errors), I would have to kill myself.
    07-14-11 11:45 PM
    If we all do this, they must give us answers...

I did this on the support-page PlayBook Technical Support Phone Number - PlayBook Help Phone
    (well, my country was different due to browser/IP bla bla)

"Hello RIM,

I'm a loyal customer since 2004, and i'm the ICT Manager at the company where I work and we have several thousands BlackBerries running on several BES Servers.
    I bought a PlayBook and knew from the begiining that this was a 'pioneers risk' because this is a very new player in the tablet market.
    But, from all the promised features seeing in demo's and presentations which are still not available, I have one simple question:

What is going on with IM+ ... Why is there not one single IM application available, while there is a category in the AppWorld??? Please tell me what is taking so long, or just tell us thet RIM will bring us IM apps on the PlayBook?

(BE HONEST RIM, I KNOW ABOUT THE SITUATION WITH SHAPESERVICES, AND THAT IS NOT GOOD AT ALL)

Don't tell me that there are no apps developed, because there are, but they don't get approved(Remember: a lot of people call it CrapWorld now, including myself which I do not like ...)
    We have a very powerfull tablet, but no apps, many of us call it the crappworld ...

And please remember: people like me are the ones that are concidering implementing thousands of PlayBooks in company infrastructures, but if these kind of situations are the case, people like me will think twice before doing so ...

Hopefully RIM is getting spammed with this kind of questions and complains so they will need to change this behavior before RIM goes down or looses all it's customers.

I Truly Wish RIM Makes Progress With The PlayBook And Give us Customers The True PlayBook Experience.

Thank You,

Regards,"

Website Response:
    'Thank you for submitting

Thank you for your question. A support representative will be in touch with you via email.'

Let's see what they do...my patience is over after seeing ShapeServices Screenshot of IM+ in appworld, this is not acceptable anymore imho.
    trsbbs likes this.
    07-15-11 05:10 AM
    God i wish RIM would just sell the BlackBerry brand to someone and go back to making pagers, they are not competent anymore.

Or a least fire the top tier management befopre its too late.
    07-15-11 06:17 AM
    I got a reply very quick, here's the answer I received:

"Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. We are pleased to assist you.

We would like to inform you that at this point there is no official announcement of Research In Motion Limited about the release of the App IM+, nor is Research In Motion Limited authorized to advise about the status of Apps from third party developers.

For this reason, we can only advise you to contact the App's manufacturer directly, so as to enable them to inform you about the status of their App.

We do hope this information is of help to you, but if you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us either by replying to this message or by calling us at one of the numbers below.

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited "

07-15-11 09:20 AM
    And I just did a call to the support phone, had a call with a support-rep, they will send my complaint to Canada...

Maybe if we all do this, they wake up...
    07-15-11 09:35 AM
    So far N4BB and BerryReview have posted this issue on their sites.

Seems sort of glaring that this website has not. But thats Kevin's call.

BTW. RIM closed the incident ticket for this with no further comment even
    though the issue has not been resolved.

Maria from Shape contacted me via email and indicated that they will look
    into the "sideloading" method sometime next week. They did not want to
    promise that the app would be delivered via sideloading though.

I suggested to Maria that Shape resubmit IM+ to PB App World to see what happens.
    We shall see if they do so..

Tim

Update: Maria at Shape just indicated that they did submit an update to RIM for IM+ but it
    didn't change anything. RIM is still silent on this with them.
    Last edited by trsbbs; 07-15-11 at 10:00 AM.
    07-15-11 09:53 AM
    also, `us` emailing RIM wont get a direct response from them, as a dev id be mortified if RIM was talking to a consumer about the progress my app is making thru their approval system. true it would get them to focus on the app, but i shouldnt expect a reply as to its status other than directly from the developer.
    We would like to inform you that at this point there is no official announcement of Research In Motion Limited about the release of the App IM+, nor is Research In Motion Limited authorized to advise about the status of Apps from third party developers.

For this reason, we can only advise you to contact the App's manufacturer directly, so as to enable them to inform you about the status of their App.
    i dont wanna say i told ya so, but....
    07-15-11 09:54 AM
    I got a reply very quick, here's the answer I received:

"Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. We are pleased to assist you.

We do hope this information is of help to you, but if you require further assistance, please feel free to contact us either by replying to this message or by calling us at one of the numbers below.

Thank you again for contacting us. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Research In Motion Limited "

Looks like RIM has developed a cookie cutter response to this. Seems much different then the response I received where they say they never received it for review..

Tim
    07-15-11 09:56 AM
    This is really unacceptable. People shelled out their hard earned money, knowing the Playbook OS was a new platform and would take time to get some traction with developers, what they didn't expect was for RIM to stonewall developers and treat them like garbage if any of this is true. There might be a good justification for not allowing the app through yet ( I doubt it), even though the platform is already starving for good ones, there's absolutely no justification for not communicating with the developer. RIM needs a serious culture shift internally to even get what the problem is or else they'll never be able to compete for developers' attention.
    07-15-11 09:56 AM
    i dont wanna say i told ya so, but....
    Much different the one I posted where they did respond. So,,...

I understand that you are inquiring about IM applications on the PlayBook. Unfortunately, there is no complicated answer for this, it's as simple as the developers for those IM applications have not created one that is supported on the PlayBook as of yet. We have not heard of any release dates for any IM applications yet. I'm sorry that I do not have more information for you. But keep checking Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com for any new features available for the tablet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

XXXX
    Research In Motion Limited
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com
    07-15-11 09:57 AM
    Much different the one I posted where they did respond. So,,...

I understand that you are inquiring about IM applications on the PlayBook. Unfortunately, there is no complicated answer for this, it's as simple as the developers for those IM applications have not created one that is supported on the PlayBook as of yet. We have not heard of any release dates for any IM applications yet. I'm sorry that I do not have more information for you. But keep checking Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com for any new features available for the tablet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

XXXX
    Research In Motion Limited
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com
    granted, you got a different response, potentially they didnt liase with appworld section and just looked at what was available or for a different reason, but the bottom line is RIM wont tell consumers about how far a devs app is thru the process, and rightly so.

again, its a shame that its having these issues, but RIM shouldnt (and have proven they dont) explain where in the process the app is to the `public`.
    07-15-11 10:02 AM
    granted, you got a different response, potentially they didnt liase with appworld section and just looked at what was available or for a different reason,
    What part of this statement do you not understand:

", it's as simple as the developers for those IM applications have not created one that is supported on the PlayBook as of yet."

Doesn't say "not available", doesn't say "not on app world" it says "the developers for those IM applications have not created one that is supported on the PlayBook as of yet"

I do not see how that can be taken any other way.

Not trying to be mean or anything but denial of what is right in front of you
    is a little unusual.

Tim
    07-15-11 10:11 AM
    I have a theory & I'll bet I'm not too far off. I'm thinking that the IM+ app leverages the bridge for data & for that reason AT&T (RIMs largest carrier partner) has "encouraged" RIM to put a lock on it. Guaranteed any app that leverages the bridge for data will get hampered by AT&T. It's just a theory...... (remember that AT&T forced apple to remove iOS apps in the past that didn't use data the "way AT&T approved of")

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xandermac; 07-15-11 at 10:23 AM.
    07-15-11 10:15 AM
    What part of this statement do you not understand:

", it's as simple as the developers for those IM applications have not created one that is supported on the PlayBook as of yet."

Doesn't say "not available", doesn't say "not on app world" it says "the developers for those IM applications have not created one that is supported on the PlayBook as of yet"

I do not see how that can be taken any other way.

Not trying to be mean or anything but denial of what is right in front of you
    is a little unusual.

Tim
    well maybe i see things differently, but `not supported as of yet` means to me `not available yet`.

maybe your reading it how you wish to, maybe im reading it how i wish to, but if you ask RIM if an app that isnt available is supported, naturally the answer is no, and they cant realistically even acknoweldge its existence to you as an enquirer as you may be `competition` checking on if an app has been submitted.
    07-15-11 10:20 AM
    I told them that I have a 480€ device with all kinds of promises, but little are true yet.

Oh Wait ... finally it has arrived in the Appworld : TicTacToe
    (I don't dare to show this to my friends...they will laugh hard, very hard)
    07-15-11 10:20 AM
173 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD