So I went to the group that handles remote access at the entity I contract to to see if they were going to be supporting the Citrix Receiver on the Playbook. They said they were getting ready to support the Citrix Receiver on a lot of platforms, including the Playbook and provided me more information. I offered to be a Playbook guinea pig for them and they were open and wanted me to do it. Then I got a followup from them shortly after where they said that the Citrix Receiver for Playbook has a critical flaw that prevents it form working at the moment, and the fix won't be out till Q1 2012 ("OS2" I said in my head just like Jerry Seinfeld says "Neuman"). Meanwhile other platforms will be allowed within weeks. This is probably one of the slower entities to embrace progress too and extremely security conscience. I also saw that they tested the Playbook and Bridge and the results were "mixed", they stated that the iPad/Citrix receiver testing went well. Hardened Android is being referenced too.

Now the Citrix Receiver will eventually work with Playbook, likely after 2.0 is released, and I will use it at that time for remote access, but it looks like Android and iOS are going to get at least 3 month head start for remote access. Given Apple's appeal and people waiting to get the green light to justify iOS device purchases I think that RIM has really blew it. I'm hoping that OS2.0 will provide much more value add, and I think it will, but people aren't going to throw away newly purchased iPads when OS2.0 comes out.

Anyway, I'm trying to help in the adoption of this thing, but RIM isn't helping the cause at all with its "coming soon" mantra. Really bums me out. If they had BES support, native apps, working Citrix receiver, etc. right now they probably would have been the slam dunk this is the preferred device with most capabilities, but now they are just going to be one of many options. I can only imagine that other entities are coming to the same conclusions/results.
    11-29-11 09:49 AM
    You have every right to expect not being blown away from OS 2.0 in Feb. With each advancement that the competitors announce, RIM's lack of information release will only force the markets' investors and consumers to have a very conservative view of the company's future performance.

If there was any good news, RIM would've announced it.
    11-29-11 09:54 AM
    They announced BlackBerry Mobile Fusion today,

And With that also indirectly announced that The playbook will have BES support
    chiefbroski likes this.
    11-29-11 09:56 AM
    They announced BlackBerry Mobile Fusion today,

And With that also indirectly announced that The playbook will have BES support
    Let's hope with this information they can recover to 3 month price per share levels, let alone 1 month PPS, and continue with this momentum.
    11-29-11 10:00 AM
    Inichols - can you find out what the 'major flaw' is. We have a few PB's using Citrix Receiver and I've not heard of any major problems. Only complaint is it's small on the screen and difficult to select scroll bars. I was told I should contact our Tech Support and have them install it.
    11-29-11 10:02 AM
    Take iphone since ipad is an over grown iphone/pod and android at the same stage and timeline and see how well and how many things were missing and lacking. RIM made the mistake that they could do the same and release an incomplete and unfinished product just like the others did. Well that as we see doesn't fly these days. They should've waited until next Feb. to release.
    11-29-11 10:10 AM
    The lack of a working Citrix Receiver app particularly galls me. I have several colleagues -- longtime BB users all -- who bailed when the iPhone 4S came out (and some of whom had previously bought iPads). They are all telling me that they can use Citrix Receiver on their iOS devices.

The excuses and rationalizations are getting to be beyond appalling. Yeah, no Netflix, but you can use Amazon Prime. Yeah, no Kindle app, but you can use Kobo. Yeah, no Skype, but you can use ReelPortal. Etc., etc.

And then there are the promises. No email and calendar, but it's coming on OS 2. No A2DP streaming, but it's coming on OS 2. No (working) Citrix Receiver, but it's coming on OS 2. No BES but it's coming on OS 2.

As much as I love and have loved my BBs, I'm getting the distinct feeling that RIM is going to end up devolving into one of those weird Canadian niches, like curling. And those of us in the States who use PBs or still use BBs are going to be viewed as oddballs.
    11-29-11 10:13 AM
    Apparently it is an issue with the security token component of the login. Citrix is the one stating there is a flaw with the receiver and the Q1 fix.
    11-29-11 12:20 PM
    The lack of a working Citrix Receiver app particularly galls me. I have several colleagues -- longtime BB users all -- who bailed when the iPhone 4S came out (and some of whom had previously bought iPads). They are all telling me that they can use Citrix Receiver on their iOS devices.

The excuses and rationalizations are getting to be beyond appalling. Yeah, no Netflix, but you can use Amazon Prime. Yeah, no Kindle app, but you can use Kobo. Yeah, no Skype, but you can use ReelPortal. Etc., etc.

And then there are the promises. No email and calendar, but it's coming on OS 2. No A2DP streaming, but it's coming on OS 2. No (working) Citrix Receiver, but it's coming on OS 2. No BES but it's coming on OS 2.

As much as I love and have loved my BBs, I'm getting the distinct feeling that RIM is going to end up devolving into one of those weird Canadian niches, like curling. And those of us in the States who use PBs or still use BBs are going to be viewed as oddballs.
    That was very funny. LOL!
    11-29-11 12:26 PM
    The Citrix beta app on the Playbook is not even close to the iOS version. Our company has had the iPad version deployed for over a year, the Playbook beta version currently does not even support application gateway.
    11-29-11 12:32 PM
    Let's hope with this information they can recover to 3 month price per share levels, let alone 1 month PPS, and continue with this momentum.
    I have no such hopes! I'm gonna hold on to these capital losses, I'd like to see them gain in 2012 when all of the new products actually start hitting the market, but I don't want the futures people to grow my stock too much I want to buy more later
    11-29-11 12:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD