Either assasinate the jailbreaker or bring em onboard.

Hope they make the right choice
    11-30-11 08:55 PM
    or hire a team of prison guards to fix the fence.
    Spencerdl and mud314 like this.
    11-30-11 08:59 PM
    Either assasinate the jailbreaker or bring em onboard.

Hope they make the right choice
    I don't think they have to make a choice. I'm all for giving credit where it's due, but it's definitely not due here - especially for RIM to have to make some sort of decision like that. The whole thing really isn't a big deal, yet it's getting the Occupy-type treatment as far as coverage goes.
    11-30-11 09:05 PM
    DEVGRU would put these renegade couch potatos in the hurt locker post haste.
    11-30-11 10:25 PM
    It's very simple. RIM can pay them a couple of millions, have them sign a contract to shut up.
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    11-30-11 10:38 PM
    I have no idea what is talked about in the posts above, but I think RIM has indeed 2 choices:
    - continue to make great products
    - or not.
    oemastiff likes this.
    12-01-11 03:39 AM
    It's very simple. RIM can pay them a couple of millions, have them sign a contract to shut up.
    I think this is most likely to happen. It would be a smart move to bring them on board, but Rim isn't known for making smart moves.
    12-01-11 04:27 AM
    Man, I have no goddamn idea how you people are giving this group of mediocre hackers so much credit!!

RIM pay them a couple million? Or bring them on board? Do you really think there morons did something revolutionary? They're just a group of people who decided to--unlike others--waste their time on something ********. Then left it up to the shaboinking consumer f'd up mentality to run with it and exacerbate a whole lot of nothing.
    highos likes this.
    12-01-11 06:54 AM
    Could someone please explain what the frigging you're talking about?
    12-01-11 07:59 AM
    Could someone explain what the big deal is. All I saw is some dingle berry change a led color and adjust screen brightness. Isn't that something any third party app can do even on the BOS. How does that equate to a major security flaw? How does that allow them access to my personal information?
    12-01-11 10:14 AM
    Rooting gives complete access to the file system and allows the root user to collect and use any and all data, unless otherwise encrypted. Jailbreaking is exactly the same thing. It also allows a user to install 3rd party software. So, if your Playbook was stolen or borrowed the thief could have complete access to all data on the device.
    Last edited by lavrishevo; 12-01-11 at 10:25 AM.
    12-01-11 10:22 AM
    Could someone please explain what the frigging you're talking about?
    Video Demo of Rooted BlackBerry PlayBook! | CrackBerry.com
    12-01-11 10:25 AM
    Rooting gives complete access to the file system and allows the root user to collect and use any and all data, unless otherwise encrypted. Jailbreaking is exactly the same thing. It also allows a user to install 3rd party software. So, if your Playbook was stolen or borrowed the thief could have complete access to all data on the device.
    The dingleberry said there is some software that has to be installed on the PB correct? So they would have to get by the password first. If it wasn't password protected they would have access to my info anyway.
    12-01-11 10:31 AM
    Im no expert but if im not mistaken, having used and owned a jailbroken iphone I found there were many more apps available to me.
    now taking into account the lousy offering for blackberrys and in particular the serious lack of dedicated software (take e-readers on PB for example) then opening the field up surely cant be a bad thing.

no matter what the tech or what platform there are people out there that will endeavour to find out what makes it tick and open them up.

there are many company's/manufacturers that have benefited from this behaviour.
    it is the way forward and will aid the succession of any company that accepts it.

Ive been involved with PC`s from the dawn of time and back in the day we called this practise Freeware!
    12-01-11 11:13 AM
    rim is fine
    andino likes this.
    12-01-11 11:16 AM
    or hire a team of prison guards to fix the fence.

LoL (message too short) LoL
    12-01-11 11:18 AM
    At least this brings an end to the argument that RIM is more secure than other platforms.
    12-01-11 11:25 AM
    Pretty much everything the iPad & iPhones are noriously deficient in, encrypted or otherwise.
    12-01-11 11:30 AM
    At least this brings an end to the argument that RIM is more secure than other platforms.
    Lol we have no idea what this root will do yet. The reason why the iPhone is jailbroken is to install Third party programs on it. Android is rooted for much the same thing(Super user powers(I believe)) We have had the ability to Side Load apps almost since the start. So what he got Hulu working and played with some LEDs and Changed the brightness of the screen(IT WAS A SPOOKY GHOST!). I don't need any of this. So rooting gets the end user NOWHERE as far as I'm concerned.

So unless they have access to the Bootloader and get Android ported over, I could careless about some amateurs rooting the Playbook. How bout these useless Devs get working on a Jailbreak for PS3 Version 4.00...
    Last edited by Thomasrox3; 12-01-11 at 11:34 AM.
    12-01-11 11:32 AM
    Why does no one seem to understand that changing the brightness ans LED is merely a proof of concept? There is way more too it than that, and it opens up tons of possibilites for the Playbook. The Android player could be improves/modified to allow more systems to run to name just one. ****, getting an Android/BBX dualboot could even be a possibility.

With that said, there is obviously a security risk with having root access but no one said you have to do it.

/rant
    balth likes this.
    12-01-11 11:43 AM
    Lol we have no idea what this root will do yet. The reason why the iPhone is jailbroken is to install Third party programs on it. Android is rooted for much the same thing(Super user powers(I believe)) We have had the ability to Side Load apps almost since the start. So what he got Hulu working and played with some LEDs and Changed the brightness of the screen(IT WAS A SPOOKY GHOST!). I don't need any of this. So rooting gets the end user NOWHERE as far as I'm concerned.

So unless they have access to the Bootloader and get Android ported over, I could careless about some amateurs rooting the Playbook. How bout these useless Devs get working on a Jailbreak for PS3 Version 4.00...
    Android IS NOT rooted to install third party programs. It is rooted to enable access to things that are otherwise closed off from the end user. It's not about installing apps, it about what the apps can do. I still don't quite believe it though, will wait until its online before i do
    12-01-11 11:59 AM
    Really how long do you think RIM will allow this to go on. I see an OS update in the near future.
    12-01-11 12:02 PM
    If they have any sense it will be asap and they should close off access to app world, video chat (and any other things that will motivate users to upgrade) if you don't
    12-01-11 12:09 PM
    Why does no one seem to understand that changing the brightness ans LED is merely a proof of concept? There is way more too it than that, and it opens up tons of possibilites for the Playbook. The Android player could be improves/modified to allow more systems to run to name just one. ****, getting an Android/BBX dualboot could even be a possibility.

With that said, there is obviously a security risk with having root access but no one said you have to do it.

/rant
    Call me a skeptic or doubting Thomas, but isn't it possible to do the same thing (turn on LEDs and dim the screen) running an app on the playbook that does low level system calls and is controlled over wifi? Notice they never showed the home screen to prove there is no app running.

I'm sure I'm wrong if these guys are credible, but really isn't that possible? just curious really I'm sure its not true (maybe?)
    chiefbroski likes this.
    12-01-11 12:39 PM
    Yeah, I think these guys are legit, but I need more than an led or backlight or w/e. Maybe I'm just uninformed, but if its trivial to read email once its "rooted" or look at contacts or steal pictures or w/e, then why didn't they show it?

I think its because they couldn't figure it out yet. Its more difficult than that. Maybe they need a few more hours, days or weeks or months to get to that point? Maybe the PB has some other security up its sleeve so its impossible?

These possibilities haven't been looked at.

I'm just saying, yes RIM should look into it and talk to these guys, but this is not sufficient evidence to claim that emails can be read.

#justsaying
    12-01-11 03:30 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD