08-24-12 03:43 PM
47 12
tools
    Aside from the ecosystem issue, which they're working on.. RIM needs to gain mindshare. They lost a lot of it with customers these days and they need to figure out a way to get it back.

Realistically, mindshare is what runs everything. You can jam all the specs and features you want into something, if you don't have mindshare you got nothing but wasted time.
    Bla1ze, spot on!!! In one simple sentence you condensed down what ive been saying for... Not months now but years. RIM needs to win back who they have lost and continue gaining ground by attracting new customers.
    08-23-12 05:25 AM
    Aside from the ecosystem issue, which they're working on.. RIM needs to gain mindshare. They lost a lot of it with customers these days and they need to figure out a way to get it back.

Realistically, mindshare is what runs everything. You can jam all the specs and features you want into something, if you don't have mindshare you got nothing but wasted time.

Mindshare and hype go hand in hand. Back in the Sega Dreamcast - Sony Playstation era, the Dreamcast blew the PSX out of the water with specs. They also made it very easy to program for. Things were going well until the Sony 'hype' machine went into full gear and announced the PS2 which beat the Dreamcast specs. It wouldn't be available for a year, but it was enough to get into the minds of consumers and developers and that alone virtually killed the Dreamcast. And the Dreamcast had a 1 to 2 year head start!

Today, Apple has the biggest hype machine and they do deliver excellent products. Also they were first to the party with this version of a tablet. Plus with an massive ecosystem already in place, how could they not dominate this market? Maybe it's not geared for everyone, but I do give them credit for bringing non-tech people into the tech game. The Playbook stumbled out of the gate with an unfinished OS and that hurts opinion right away. I applaud Blackberry for not going the 'Android' route and instead trying to make something fresh. Too bad for the Touchpad failure because choice is always good for the industry and the consumer. The Playbook is an excellent tablet. It's our job as Playbook owners to educate others who are willing to listen!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Last edited by DoctorEvil8; 08-23-12 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Clarity in wording
    08-23-12 07:26 AM
    Marketing the Playbook must be done without focusing on one type of user. The only way to do this is to show people that a Playbook is a Business Device, it's a Gaming Device, it's a Student Device, it's Learning Device, it's a Service Industry Device, it's an Organizing Device and it's a Social Device.

Everyone from young children to seasoned business professionals should be aware of the PlayBooks capabilities. RIM must focus on everyone! Not just one type of user (again).
    Spencerdl and Heavens1 like this.
    08-23-12 07:58 AM
    Great thread, great read everyone. Post #3.....seriously, I think you need to do more research. I've come to the conclusion that one of the main reasons behind the PlayBook's not so successful life, is largely due to a very poor marketing department, there are BLACKBERRY owners that don't even know this tablet exists not to mention non BlackBerry owners. For some reason RIM does not see advertising as a "BIG DEAL" and never has, I hope this changes for the future of RIM. The PlayBook is a very GOOD tablet, but if nobody knows about nobody will buy it.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 08-23-12 at 08:27 AM.
    08-23-12 08:25 AM
    My Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 is by far the best gaming tablet on the market, in my opinion. 1920x1200 Super IPS Screen, Quad Core Procesor, 10" size. Still, gaming and Netflix/Hulu Plus are about the only time I use it.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    Todor Ninov likes this.
    08-23-12 08:51 AM
    I think RIM is quite well at knowing what this product is. Awesome hardware that was released ahead of its time with missing native email & angry birds. We have those now. Hopefully with BB10 we'll see a lot more for our PB's. I actually enjoy my Playbook's evolving since 1.8. Sure beats the need to trade an iproduct pad yearly for the next model or feel left out. Long live our PBs
    Agree. Just think about the fact my PB is going to get BB10 for free next year, it's like a gift keeps giving.
    Heavens1 and BB_Bmore like this.
    08-23-12 08:59 AM
    Apple has spent an approximate of $2 Billion in Marketing and Advertisements over the span of the last 5 years for the iPhone. Lot of that money came in from selling Apple computers.

Android is by Google who made most from their advertising schemes over the years and now with Billions in their reserve to spend endlessly on their Android system.

Samsung, revenues for this company go higher than the incomes of many countries. World's largest IT company.. Construction and engineering (Petronas Twin towers, Burj Khalifa), 14th largest life insurance company..

You get the gist? Where does RIM stand in between all of these? Sure RIM would want all the celebrity endorsements and make countless pleasing advertisements for the kids at home.. Maybe introduce some Flagship extravagant stores to showcase the 'BlackBerry' lifestyle.. But word-of-mouth is all they have left..

The last BB10 advertisment by BlackBerry is far better than the one being discussed here.. It's pleasing, positive, to-the-point and enticing albeit without a celebrity.

08-23-12 09:00 AM
    My Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 is by far the best gaming tablet on the market, in my opinion. 1920x1200 Super IPS Screen, Quad Core Procesor, 10" size. Still, gaming and Netflix/Hulu Plus are about the only time I use it.

Posted from Crackberry.com App for Android
    Great specs on that but a little over the top for me since I only game on Snooker! I fall back to the PS3 if I need any more juice..
    08-23-12 09:07 AM
    even if intensive gaming was possible on a tablet.....

the playbook has very few apps in general, and the lack of choice in market software is quite stifling. (Angry birds is not real gaming)

I have 3 playbooks at home (gifts from BB employee) and I use my android phone most of the time.

Definitely opting for a Nexus 7 soon...

There is a reason BB has such low market share.
    08-23-12 05:31 PM
    You get the gist? Where does RIM stand in between all of these?
    Funny, RIM had $12 million to throw away via a wasteful gift to those two (censord)holes that practically ran the company into the ground.

Perhaps instead of flushing cash down the toilet they could instead save it and... Well, spend it where It will actually help prosper the company.

$12 million.
    08-23-12 05:44 PM
    But again, why rim really need playbook?
    08-23-12 08:35 PM
    With the release of the nexus 7 I'm not sure how the playbook can compete. The tablet market is dominated by the iPad or the kindle fire. I don't really see one advantage the playbook has over the nexus aside from the UI of QNX.
    Well, as one who had considered both and bought the Playbook, for the the adcantages were:

HDMI out
    Front and back cameras, and far better than the Nexus camera (1080p video)
    Better speakers
    Higher storage capacities, up to 64GB
    Better bundled software
    Better OS
    Better build quality

I don't use Bridge, but that is going to be a big advantage for some.

Obviously software availability is a big negative, but the Playbook certainly has its advantages.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-23-12 08:56 PM
    As a developer, I think the Playbook is a test-bed for BB10 and really a platform-dev-seeding device meant to create an apps ecosystem that will drive RIM ahead for the next 5 years.

Everyone with a Playbook is getting a preview of QNX computing and eventually BB10. Personally I am excited for each update and look forward to seeing it grow, while meanwhile I have a cheap and useful tablet that I use daily!

For what it has, the Playbook is a great tablet for me for $199. It has a nice feel in the hands, portable, and good at the top stuff I need it for:

- watch movies/podcasts
    - read books/pdf
    - surf the net
    - presentations via HDMI out
    - bridge-to-phone remote
    - some fun gaming
    - taking pictures/video
    - video chat
    - developing Webworks apps!

Since I bought it in November 2011 during the fire sale, it has served me well! At that time, $199 was a bargain and still is, but now you have lots more competition in that range.

Remember the Playbook WiFi is now almost 1.5 year old hardware. I believe it was released spring 2011. When BB10 gets on there, even with this "old" hardware the experience will zip by smoothly because the QNX OS is tight and fast.

Go BB10 go!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    08-23-12 09:50 PM
    But again, why rim really need playbook?
    1. Perfect BB companion.
    2. Give their R&D an opportunity to horn their skills in developing full touch devices.
    3. Test ground for BB10 (QNX OS, touch, battery life, LTE chipset and stacks, Exchange email, etc.)
    08-23-12 09:52 PM
    By calling it a professional tablet it probably scared casual users away. It is a great gaming device. My phone is for business, my playbook is for playing.
    08-23-12 11:01 PM
    1. Perfect BB companion.
    2. Give their R&D an opportunity to horn their skills in developing full touch devices.
    3. Test ground for BB10 (QNX OS, touch, battery life, LTE chipset and stacks, Exchange email, etc.)
    1 ok. But 2 and 3 are not the reason. They can test bb10 on phone and playbook actually not only damage their reputation but also distract their resource. They just want a me too product and it is probably a wrong decision
    08-23-12 11:12 PM
    I guess the focus of the consumers these days is more on getting their hands on a device which out-performs the competition. This gives them a benchmark while making a decision.

More than advertising the sweetness, I believe RIM should release several benchmarks and achievements in standard documents with the help of several popular blogs and websites. Even though they might not win the tests, but atleast the users can get to judge where the PlayBook stands among the competition.
    Benchmarks mean nothing to the general public. Especially those who feel they need to take a training class on how to properly use a iphone or ipad.
    08-23-12 11:52 PM
    even if intensive gaming was possible on a tablet.....

the playbook has very few apps in general, and the lack of choice in market software is quite stifling. (Angry birds is not real gaming)

I have 3 playbooks at home (gifts from BB employee) and I use my android phone most of the time.

Definitely opting for a Nexus 7 soon...

There is a reason BB has such low market share.

It's a shame when you try to troll but don't know how.
    08-23-12 11:59 PM
    I normally don't like to comment on troll threads, but the PlayBook is pretty dam awesome for my use. I have a company issued blackberry with 1gb data plan a month, and so I basically have unlimited browsing on my playbook. I helped record my friend's wedding ceremony in 1080p (the ceremony was outside) and the stereo mics are awesome. I recently bought a HTC amaze. Even though the camera on the amaze is awesome, the mic isn't that great and the playbook is way better for video recording. I recently tested the mhl adapter for my amaze (which is late last year's flagship on tmobile), and the experience was not as good as the playbook. With the hdmi-out, I can have video playing on the tv and do all sorts of other stuff on my playbook. The amaze's mhl connection only reproduce the screen on the tv, and the quality of the signal is only ok. The playbook has replaced my laptop on work trips as minikeyboard and citrix means I am basically in the office anywhere I have data or wifi.

Frankly, depending on your use case, the playbook might be the best tablet on the market. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of bb10 on it, but even without bb10, it's still my tablet of choice.
    08-24-12 12:12 AM
    While the Playbook does have a few good games now, it certainly isn't equivalent to what else is out there yet. There are some really amazing games that have released in the past, recently, and about to release on other platforms that would be great for the Playbook, but just aren't there and may not be coming.

So I somewhat agree with the OP; the Playbook isn't really a good productivity tablet, but fairs better as a gaming tablet. But even so, still has a depressingly mediocre selection. The pb has maybe 6 great titles tops. Usability is also pretty subjective. Its certainly not blowing away the competition by any means. Hooking up a ps3 controller to my android devices certainly beats holding up a tablet anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Ynomrah; 08-24-12 at 08:29 AM.
    08-24-12 08:20 AM
    I would love to see a major agreement with Nintendo on this front, which is another orphan from the ecosystem point-of-view. Imagine if Nintendo rebuilt its system to work on top of QNX, and they gradually started incorporating each other's technology into the various devices. Wii U Gamepad as a PlayBook with extra knobs and whistles...
    08-24-12 09:10 AM

I think that RIM is laying low right now. When BB10 is released I'm pretty sure there will be a big push on the handsets, followed by a relaunch of the Playbook.

At that point, the PB will have largely fallen off of most buyer's radar completely, so if BB10 truly transforms it, it will be almost like a brand new product launch.
    DrBit2011 likes this.
    08-24-12 03:43 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD