I've had my PB now for about 9 months and I'm starting to view it in a different light. I know its not RIMs main focus but this device to me is the best personal gaming device available. The hardware is amazing, build quality, preference for landscape use, size, speakers. Everything about it is amazing for personal gamine. Add on top of that the ability to attach it on a tv with a 2 dollar HDMI cable and it gets even better. The one area it may be lacking is software but I think there is still plenty now, and definitely more to come. Comparing it to the other tablets on the market it blows the competition away for personal gaming. Ipad is awkward and clunky and set up better for portrait use. Also most other tablets don't have the amazing dual speakers. 7 inches is the perfect size and the aspect ration is much better than that of the ipad or similar devices. Its amazing how awesome a device it is even into its second year of existance. I can think of other things that make it an awesome gaming device but what are other peoples thoughts on why its awesome? Do you think RIM maybe would have sold some more devices had it marketed it that way? I guess a drawback to this is they don't want to disrupt their image as a business/enterprise focused company.
    08-22-12 10:59 PM
    Most people that buy tablets buy it for surfing the web, multi media use, and email or some form of communication. The playbook launched without built in email support, it would have done better if it hadn't been rushed. I think its a good product for the right consumer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-22-12 11:10 PM
    With the release of the nexus 7 I'm not sure how the playbook can compete. The tablet market is dominated by the iPad or the kindle fire. I don't really see one advantage the playbook has over the nexus aside from the UI of QNX.
    Syrous44, mud314 and elibohnert like this.
    08-22-12 11:16 PM
    With a million in servce ( generous estimate ).... it more of a question of what will RIM follow up with.... Do not see LTE Playbook doing gang busters.... that being said... there is a good base to work from... As far a marketing as a game console.... probably not a good idea.... people probably will not view a gaming tablet from RIM favorably.....
    CDM76 and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    08-22-12 11:34 PM
    with the release of the nexus 7 i'm not sure how the playbook can compete. The tablet market is dominated by the ipad or the kindle fire. I don't really see one advantage the playbook has over the nexus aside from the ui of qnx.

BRIDGE!!!!! :d
    FF22, neoberry99, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    08-22-12 11:36 PM
    Gaming tablet for any tablet is a bad idea, UI is terrible. They need to focus on utilities, productivity and creating a solid portable device that does everything.

08-22-12 11:37 PM
    With the release of the nexus 7 I'm not sure how the playbook can compete. The tablet market is dominated by the iPad or the kindle fire. I don't really see one advantage the playbook has over the nexus aside from the UI of QNX.

Don't care to back up your opinion?

Markets can be dominated by particular products but there will always be large proportions of users who don't just simply follow the herd.

But you kinda point yourself out as one of the people the PB isn't for. Since you don't see any advantages aside from the UI. I see numerous examples I why I believe it is a far superior product, already mentioned some in my OP.
    Last edited by hurds; 08-22-12 at 11:56 PM.
    08-22-12 11:54 PM
    [/B]

BRIDGE!!!!! :d
    Better camera, speakers, microphones and sex appeal
    08-23-12 12:02 AM
    Gaming tablet for any tablet is a bad idea, UI is terrible. They need to focus on utilities, productivity and creating a solid portable device that does everything.

Better tell game developers to stop making games for tablets and touchscreen devices. Also they should stop and possibly peripheral support.

'They need to focus on utilities, productivity and creating a solid portable device that does everything'.

Minus gaming I suppose.
    luqman24 likes this.
    08-23-12 12:06 AM
    Back on track. Flash support for flash games. Multi-tasking between games is awesome. Listening to music or podcasts from any of the various apps available while gaming is fun. I think with BB10 coming there will obviously be an increase in the user base for people to play against. RIM also acquired scoreloop and have kept it open which I think is an awesome idea for cross platforming gaming. RIM is also working on gameplay which is another great crossplatform gaming system that developers can use to create more games. I think the possibilities with bridge wifi and at home gaming will be awesome.
    08-23-12 12:14 AM
    Better camera, speakers, microphones and sex appeal

Having seen all the tablets out there the PB still looks and feels like the most solid and aestheticaly pleasing of them all.
    BB_Bmore, luqman24, bb624 and 3 others like this.
    08-23-12 12:15 AM
    I'm gonna join in on Page 3 when the trolls start talking about an 'ecosystem'..

However, OP to get your point across.... (OP's POV)

- Owned PlayBook for approx. 9 months
    - The best personal gaming device
    - The hardware & build quality is amazing
    - Landscape orientation is a plus.
    - 7" is perfect size to carry and comfortable to use for gaming and other activities
    - Stereo (dual) speakers and dual mics
    - HDMI-Out on PlayBook can be utilized to HDTV with inexpensive cable (as low as 2$)
    - App world does not have the quantity but many apps & games are available and many more to come
    - Good aspect ratio of the PlayBook screen (widescreen)
    - Even after 2 years, the device is very well placed in the market

Fm OP - "What are other people's thoughts on why it's awesome? Do you think RIM, maybe, would have sold some more devices had it marketed that way? I guess a drawback to this is they don't want to disrupt their image as a business/enterprise focused company."

Credits to OP sig: BB10: possibly the most disruptive innovation in tech we've yet to see.
    Last edited by BlackBerryIO; 08-25-12 at 12:46 AM.
    Cesare21, anon(3641385) and Lhendr like this.
    08-23-12 12:33 AM
    Note to mods: IMPO this is a very genuine thread, not a bait. The OP wants to know the marketing POV of RIM and if could be sold as a solid inexpensive gaming device for many of the younger generations. Why don't you guys ever delete the OT cross-talk in here?
    1) We do, as you may or may not be able to notice -- I already deleted some junk posts in this thread.

2) Speaking to a mod in a post (like above) when they may never possibly see it is pointless. If you have issues with some of the postings, do your part and report it. Draw attention to it. With over 5,000 users online at any given time and over 7,224,293 posts.. do you think we can watch each and every single post that goes up without the help of some of the community pointing out the problem threads / posts?
    08-23-12 12:41 AM
    1) We do, as you may or may not be able to notice -- I already deleted some junk posts in this thread.

2) Speaking to a mod in a post (like above) when they may never possibly see it is pointless. If you have issues with some of the postings, do your part and report it. Draw attention to it. With over 5,000 users online at any given time and over 7,224,293 posts.. do you think we can watch each and every single post that goes up without the help of some of the community pointing out the problem threads / posts?
    Thanks Bla1ze. Clearly get your point! Great review on the PlayBook 4G!
    08-23-12 12:45 AM
    I guess the focus of the consumers these days is more on getting their hands on a device which out-performs the competition. This gives them a benchmark while making a decision.

More than advertising the sweetness, I believe RIM should release several benchmarks and achievements in standard documents with the help of several popular blogs and websites. Even though they might not win the tests, but atleast the users can get to judge where the PlayBook stands among the competition.
    08-23-12 12:49 AM
    I think RIM is quite well at knowing what this product is. Awesome hardware that was released ahead of its time with missing native email & angry birds. We have those now. Hopefully with BB10 we'll see a lot more for our PB's. I actually enjoy my Playbook's evolving since 1.8. Sure beats the need to trade an iproduct pad yearly for the next model or feel left out. Long live our PBs
    08-23-12 12:57 AM
    I guess the focus of the consumers these days is more on getting their hands on a device which out-performs the competition. This gives them a benchmark while making a decision.

More than advertising the sweetness, I believe RIM should release several benchmarks and achievements in standard documents with the help of several popular blogs and websites. Even though they might not win the tests, but atleast the users can get to judge where the PlayBook stands among the competition.
    Aside from the ecosystem issue, which they're working on.. RIM needs to gain mindshare. They lost a lot of it with customers these days and they need to figure out a way to get it back.

Realistically, mindshare is what runs everything. You can jam all the specs and features you want into something, if you don't have mindshare you got nothing but wasted time.
    08-23-12 12:58 AM
    Better tell game developers to stop making games for tablets and touchscreen devices. Also they should stop and possibly peripheral support.

'They need to focus on utilities, productivity and creating a solid portable device that does everything'.

Minus gaming I suppose.

Developers can make what they want, you make it sound like terrible touch screen gaming is the main reason people buy tablets. Portability + ability to do everything well and a decent design is what sells. Yes angry birds are fun, but so is flip board and the internet. I wouldn't but a tablet made for gaming and I doubt others would. It has to do everything, at the moment the ipad does everything the best.

08-23-12 12:59 AM

My gf and I both looked at the Nexus 7 and the PB and we agreed that the PB just felt better in our hands. The Nexus had great specs and all, but was lacking in several areas - especially when compared with the PlayBook. Namely, the speakers, storage space (only 16gb), display, build quality, and the deal breaker for us - the fact that the home screen would always revert back to portrait. Even with the quad core it seemed to lag at times - it was like the Android system was the one holding the hardware back.

Don't get me wrong I love my Android phone and Asus is my top choice for MBs - the perfect combo for me. We were all set to pick up the Nexus, but when we went in store to look at both, the PB won us over (for the reasons above). Both of us now have a PB and are thinking of switching to BB10 phones when they get released.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-23-12 01:53 AM
    Developers can make what they want, you make it sound like terrible touch screen gaming is the main reason people buy tablets. Portability + ability to do everything well and a decent design is what sells. Yes angry birds are fun, but so is flip board and the internet. I wouldn't but a tablet made for gaming and I doubt others would. It has to do everything, at the moment the ipad does everything the best.

You might want to go through these articles...

Nvidia And Other Tech Powers Betting On Tablet Gaming Revolution - Forbes

State of the tablet market (a.k.a. The Tablet Wars)

Yes, currently the iPad is unchallenged in every market, however the future will demand flexibility which is a raising concern for Apple and their compatibility with cross-platform supported programs and hardware.

Whereas, RIM, even though they might not be a challenger, they have whole-heartedly accepted the concept of cross-platform support and have purchased or tied up with several big names within the gaming industry. BlackBerry10 is in the works to support games built for BB OS10 to be easily run and executed on competitor platforms (user and developer side) without any qualms for cross-platform compatibility.

RIM is encouraging this move which will help them gain some market share since the market for entry-level tablet buyers is still very open.
    Cesare21 likes this.
    08-23-12 01:53 AM
    My gf and I both looked at the Nexus 7 and the PB and we agreed that the PB just felt better in our hands. The Nexus had great specs and all, but was lacking in several areas - especially when compared with the PlayBook. Namely, the speakers, storage space (only 16gb), display, build quality, and the deal breaker for us - the fact that the home screen would always revert back to portrait. Even with the quad core it seemed to lag at times - it was like the Android system was the one holding the hardware back.

Don't get me wrong I love my Android phone and Asus is my top choice for MBs - the perfect combo for me. We were all set to pick up the Nexus, but when we went in store to look at both, the PB won us over (for the reasons above). Both of us now have a PB and are thinking of switching to BB10 phones when they get released.
    Great choice there! You can even have fun Video chatting with the native application. It looks professional, easy to use and very secure for those special moments
    08-23-12 01:57 AM
    I've had my PB now for about 9 months and I'm starting to view it in a different light. I know its not RIMs main focus but this device to me is the best personal gaming device available.
    I would agree, that the smaller form factor is very very good for gaming.
    However, for not a lot more cash, you can have the faster Nexus 7 which is just as good at gaming, and has loads of other apps available as well.
    I think your right, but it's time has been and gone.

J
    08-23-12 03:36 AM
    Thanks @BlackberryIO. You seem to get my point of view. It may ultimately be a bad idea for RIM to market the playbook moreso as a gaming device but compared to the competition I think it outclasses them all. I don't think this was RIMs intention but maybe a happy accident of how it turned out. I don't only use my PB for gaming or even mostly, I use it for a lot of other stuff like, browing, listening to music, the odd email and videochat with my parents but I'm looking forward to more software coming out even though I've been content with whats already on there. I definitely wouldn't mind some big titles comparable to deadspace, and then being able to use a peripheral and hook my PB up to a big screen. A game like deadspace seems ideal for that since most of the games UI doesn't have on-screen images. There are definitely a segment of users who are hardcore gamers but the gaming industry is set to explode when the average phone is capable of console-like gaming with the availability of downloadable content wherever you can get a cellular connection. This is one of many strategic partnerships available to RIM. I'm sure game developers would love to drastically increase their target audience from just those who currently own a gaming console.

What would be a real good idea is to have all these emulators for older systems become available as paid content downloads. This would greatly increase the game catelog. I've never tried to put an emulator on mine since I'm not that big of a gamer but if it was an easy app available for download I likely would. This would be a great second-life for a lot of this software and great games we've seen in the past.
    08-23-12 03:54 AM
    I would agree, that the smaller form factor is very very good for gaming.
    However, for not a lot more cash, you can have the faster Nexus 7 which is just as good at gaming, and has loads of other apps available as well.
    I think your right, but it's time has been and gone.

J
    8G? No thanks. Doesn't have dual speakers or a rear facaing camera plus the bezels are uneven which is awkward. It may have a faster processor but it runs android, not QNX. Also its not like anything faster is going to run games any better. Everything on my PB runs perfectly fine and without lag.

Nexus 7 seems like a downgrade, it's time has been and gone. But that brings up a good question. Why google play? what happened to android market? Are they conceding that is a malware filled collection of mostly useless apps? I've had ios devices and realized that the majority of apps beyond the basics are more a fad than anything. If I was a developer I'd but a lot more trust into an app store created by RIM than google.
    08-23-12 04:03 AM
    OP I'm stuck at International Snooker HD! Great game!
    08-23-12 04:06 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD