I wish RIM had more regular updates just like how Microsoft have updates on Windows 7 pretty much almost every second day. I've been shutting down my Windows 7 computer and every 2nd night it starts installing updates on Windows.

The only difference is I'm more excited for RIM updates than Windows 7 updates.

Just my 2c.
    05-07-11 11:29 AM
    I don't want to update my Playbook every day.

I'm happy with every two weeks.
    05-07-11 11:33 AM
    RIM already said updates will come about every 2 weeks. There needs to be time for testing an update, if they were pushing updates every other day they'd probably break more than they fix. Any besides how much do you expect they'd actually accomplish in a couple days time?

Comparing updates to Windows 7 is not a good comparison, most updates your are getting for 7 are security patches not feature/functionality updates.
    damian27 likes this.
    05-07-11 11:34 AM
    totally agree with shao, they need time to actually test it so every other week is cool, i mean look at phones (any, not just RIM) and updates are infrequent.

also craig raises a good post in the post-bbworld podcast about enterprise being nervous about updates. i think part of that issue could be rectified with stuff like actual update logs being available to BES admins to check.
    05-07-11 11:40 AM
    These days too much pressure on rim. They will definitely release updates asap. Since they are not merely manufacturer-rim also doing secure data management thru bis/bes- rim has to answer to many parties..carriers,corporate clients, bis users etc. It would have been easier for android when they only got carriers and consumer, carriers doing most of the updates.
    05-07-11 11:45 AM
    If they gave to many updates you would complain , if they didn't give anoff updates you'd complain. they found a happy medium and you still complain. You also have to figure they want to make the updates worth while you know add something while fixing some other things test it, if it passes the testing to were they feel its manageable they release it. anything less and i would think they would be recklessly releasing half assed updates or taking to much time would be like they are abandoning it.
    two weeks for an update and maybe a mini patch in between is being perfectly balanced in my opinion.
    05-07-11 11:49 AM
    I wish RIM had more regular updates just like how Microsoft have updates on Windows 7 pretty much almost every second day. I've been shutting down my Windows 7 computer and every 2nd night it starts installing updates on Windows.

The only difference is I'm more excited for RIM updates than Windows 7 updates.

Just my 2c.

If your getting Win7 updates every 2 days your way behind on updates and your PC is just trying to catch up as some updates require other updates first. Microsoft releases updates on the second Tuesday of every month, commonly referred to as "Patch Tuesday" in critical situations they will release what is called an "Out of Band Update" this also usually happens on a Tuesday when possible, just not the second Tuesday of the month.

The other possibility is the update keeps failing to install so is repeatedly trying, if so you need to find what update it is and see if you can fix whatever is wrong with your PC so it can update without failing.
    05-07-11 11:52 AM
    RIM already said updates will come about every 2 weeks.
    Why does this keep getting repeated? RIM said it will be at least 2 weeks between updates, the exact wording was "as often as". If one fails late in the testing progress I could easily see it taking much longer.

Please understand I'm not attacking you personally, but I simply see the stage being set for a whole bunch of complainers screaming their updates aren't being delivered like promised when there is more then 2 weeks between them.

Also if RIM wants to make it in the business market they are going to have to eventually slow them down to every few months at the minimum. Any good size enterprise would need 2 weeks to a month to test an update before rolling it out to its users, sure it may not break the PB, but if for example the companies CMS, Order Placement, Inventory, etc systems custom app is broken by it and requires patching you can't just shut down the company till IT can figure out the exact cause and fix it. So you block updates via BES, test it on a test device, then roll it out to a limited number of users, then if all goes well to the whole company. I'll bet money the ability to block updates to a bridged device via policies is already in development if not part of the new release of BES.
    05-07-11 12:03 PM
    I'm not too sure where I stand on an update schedule - monthly or bi-monthly updates would be sufficient for me I think. All I do know is that I hope they dont update as Drivesafely.ly does - that app seems to update every other day which is bloody annoying

But to more honest, I'd rather actually see information from RIM that indicates what they will be working on for their updates. For example, actually see RIM indicate that they are working on a way to organize our apps, browser links, etc. As long as I know they are aware of what some of the issues are and will be working on providing an update, I would be happy.
    05-07-11 12:55 PM
    @ least you get updates... Ive had a Xoom for 2 months and only had 1 single update. Consider yourself lucky.
    05-07-11 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD