05-16-11 05:09 PM
    the recall was such a nonstory. they caught it before it reached most customers. just more bad press heaped on and its totally unjustified.
    05-16-11 05:22 PM
    I hope the media idiots keep pushing these stories out of proportion so I can buy some cheap stock.

Way, way blown out of proportion... A recall on sub 1000 units, most of which never made it to the store shelves and is software related... wow... what a recall.
    05-16-11 05:27 PM
    I agree with that one. If you read what the recall was you'll find that it's a non-story in and of itself. On top of it being that it's 900 out of how many??? Really that is a joke to even report much on.
    05-16-11 05:29 PM
    i was gonna call bs, but rimm at an 2 year low? i might sell my denny's and nokia and snap up a a few shares

and actually i just checked, they were lower in august 2010
    05-16-11 05:43 PM
    The stock is low because of earnings warnings and the market's scepticism that RIM will earn 7.50/ share as they transition to QNX phones. The recall isnt a big deal but doesnt help.
    05-16-11 05:48 PM
    A recall on 900 devices is no need for news
    05-16-11 05:50 PM
    Stock went down after RIM indicated earlier this year that they did not have new phone products coming down the pipe in the near future.

It one of those "what have you done for me lately" stories.
    05-16-11 05:54 PM
    Non story.

Car manufacturers have been issuing TSB's for decades and they're still in business.

Why is this story about RIM such a big deal? I doubt a playbook is gonna kill someone unless they smoked across the side of their head with it.
    05-16-11 06:00 PM
    At least they had enough pride to issue a recall whereas Apple said you're holding it wrong, issued bumpers, and continues to sell iPads with leaking backlights following massive complaints.
    asherwiin, ericlc2 and iThamerBB like this.
    05-16-11 06:03 PM
    Is time to buy stock yet? I'm getting close.
    05-16-11 06:05 PM
    At least they had enough pride to issue a recall whereas Apple said you're holding it wrong, issued bumpers, and continues to sell iPads with leaking backlights following massive complaints.
    Play books power button is a cause for recall
    05-16-11 06:09 PM
    Play books power button is a cause for recall
    Do you even have one? I have a playbook with a flush power button and its fully functional. Apply pressure and the deed is done.
    05-16-11 06:34 PM
    I too am watching.

Soon..... very soon.

Then in 18 - 24 months we can retire to Monaco
    05-16-11 06:39 PM
    Do you even have one? I have a playbook with a flush power button and its fully functional. Apply pressure and the deed is done.
    I bought one of the few OEM cases (the notebook looking cover one) that was available when the playbook was released. It is damn near impossible to turn it on using the rubber bumper case button.
    05-16-11 06:40 PM
    Just stick something underneath the rubber button to pad it so that it's easier to push...

Should be like a 1 minute fix.
    05-16-11 06:44 PM
    It's just about getting near time to buy some.

Just need that decent stock app now and the native email so I can get my price alert through on the PB

If anyone is interested

5 Reasons Not to Bet Against Research in Motion - Seeking Alpha
    Last edited by yzf.shaun; 05-16-11 at 06:55 PM.
    05-16-11 06:52 PM
    RIM clearly needs to change direction

They need to release a new cell phone that cannot make calls without dropping. So you hold it with two fingers or cover it up with plastic to use it. And stock goes up 234%.

(The only thing to make sure is you make it in white and also different colors)
    05-16-11 09:19 PM
    RIM clearly needs to change direction

They need to release a new cell phone that cannot make calls without dropping. So you hold it with two fingers or cover it up with plastic to use it. And stock goes up 234%.

(The only thing to make sure is you make it in white and also different colors)
    Apple are in the same boat with the iPhone 4 antenna-gate....

I'm very surprised about the negative press on this recall. Less than a 1000 units affected, it was a software fault easily corrected with a factory restore via BBM, and RIM caught most of the units before being distributed.

In comparrison to Apple's iPad 2 LG panel leakage issue, this is like peanuts...
    05-16-11 09:31 PM
    Ah. Do you have one of the iPad 2s that Apple is selling following massive complaints? Based on your posts, I'm guessing you don't, yet that hasn't stopped you from complaining about it.

At the same time, I think that in the problem severity continuum, "bleeding back light" is a lot closer to "power-button not great" than it is to "device won't start up." I can't imagine any manufacturer not recalling devices that won't start assuming it can easily determine which devices those are.
    05-17-11 12:00 AM
    better to issue a recall then to blame customers.
    05-17-11 12:08 AM
    better to issue a recall then to blame customers.
    Better yet, I'm getting my parents to issue a recall on me, cuz, quite frankly, I've got a bleeding issue and my start button doesn't seem to work unless I apply redbull pressure....

Oh God, now where did I put that lifetime warranty.......
    05-17-11 02:31 AM
    I bought one of the few OEM cases (the notebook looking cover one) that was available when the playbook was released. It is damn near impossible to turn it on using the rubber bumper case button.
    I have the exact same case, same flush button and it can be painful to press hard enough for it to work. It's really a non issue though because there's no need for the power button 99% of the time. I have mine set to sleep at 90 seconds. When you are done just turn off your wifi and BT then close the cover and flip the band. It will sleep happily until you open and swipe it back on. You'll lose like 1% battery for every 3-4 hours as long as BT and wifi are off. If you need to reboot then just use the software button.

I too want some RIM stock. I think QNX phones and Android apps are going to bounce them back. We need a club somewhere to discuss the right time to buy.
    05-17-11 03:07 AM
    If this was really a non-story, it wouldn't have attracted media/public attention. Unfortunately it has, making it a 'story'!

I think it's a matter of concern.. because of a background of lacklustre performance in the past few years.. It definitely doesn't make the PB a bad device (which is being insinuated by some sources) but it reflects poor quality control at RIM imo.. which has kinda been in line with my personal experiences.

p.s. i also think this isn't as a big an issue though than apple's antennagate and bleeding backlight issue..
    05-17-11 04:48 AM
    i have to ask this because of the slight background bicker going on. Why do you even use the power button? i hardly ever do, the otterbox i use also extends the button out. but to turn it on i swipe from the front facing camera to the blackberry log on the front or visa versa and walla it turns in from sleep. if i need to reset there is a power icon that you can push to turn it completely off or reset it. i haven't turned this thing off off since i bought it had no reason to.
    on topic i wish this hadn't been leaked or announced its such a non story its stupid. the only thing its good for is buying the stock cheap its bound to bounce back when as QNX matures.
    Last edited by drethos; 05-17-11 at 05:55 AM.
    05-17-11 05:53 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD